Nationality: England

Height: 193cm
Position: Goalkeeper
Foot: Right
Squad Number: #13
Contract until: Jun 30, 2022
Date of last contract extension: Jul 2, 2021

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Backup keeper must be the best job in the world honestly. He's still probably paid like £20k a week or more to be around in case of emergency that will most likely never come. He's going to be at best 3st choice but might even be 4th choice. Little stress, little responsibility.

There was this guy at Liverpool called Pegguy Arphexad who played 39 games in 16 years, out of which 21 came in a brief 3-year period at Leicester.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I heard he is on 30k per week. If that’s true not sure what’s the point in paying a player so much when he doesn’t even make the bench let alone play.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I heard he is on 30k per week. If that’s true not sure what’s the point in paying a player so much when he doesn’t even make the bench let alone play.
Isn't he part of the coaching roster? I'm sure I read on here that he works with our youth players.

Edit - Also our PFA representative or something

Alemar

Especially when we have about 10 young goalkeepers in youth teams as well

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Will never forget his performance vs us when he was at Stoke and he played like prime Dino Zoff.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Will never forget his performance vs us when he was at Stoke and he played like prime Dino Zoff.
And conversely I remember one of his few games for us when he couldn't save a thing against Derby

typical

Mickson

I know this isn't one of those big problems, but I said at the time that this was an absolutely pointless signing and I stand by that. Two appearances in four seasons. I don't have a bad word to say about him and best of luck, he was living the dream for almost five years.

Brophs

The One and Only
He was never brought in to play games. He was rhere as an experienced, steady hand who counted as a homegrown player for the rules and who they knew would train well and be ready to play if called upon. Third choice keeper behind the likes of DDG, Henderson, Romero and Heaton is no job for a player you’re trying to develop.

Revaulx

And conversely I remember one of his few games for us when he couldn't save a thing against Derby

typical
Oh yes, he came on after Romero got sent off.

Derby’s penalties were a really poor lot, and his inability to save a single one was pathetic. It was Phil Jones that got scapegoated though.

Oranges038

He was a part time keeper, part time coach. Nobody ever expected him to play, but he still served a purpose. It's more about having a experienced hand to make up the numbers for training drills than anything else. It's why this role is generally filled with guys who are mid to late 30s, who've never been first choice anywhere.

Richard Wright spent 4 years at City. 0 games. Scott Carson has been there since 2019. 2 games.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Thank you Lee - what a legend. If I had to pick one moment, it was probably him helping to introduce Shola Shoretire into the first team

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
He was never brought in to play games. He was rhere as an experienced, steady hand who counted as a homegrown player for the rules and who they knew would train well and be ready to play if called upon. Third choice keeper behind the likes of DDG, Henderson, Romero and Heaton is no job for a player you’re trying to develop.
He was a part time keeper, part time coach. Nobody ever expected him to play, but he still served a purpose. It's more about having a experienced hand to make up the numbers for training drills than anything else. It's why this role is generally filled with guys who are mid to late 30s, who've never been first choice anywhere.

Richard Wright spent 4 years at City. 0 games. Scott Carson has been there since 2019. 2 games.
Fully agree with you both. Chelsea had Rob Green who didn't make a single appearance and was hardly on the bench, they've got Marcus Bettinelli now. He served his purpose and lived his dream.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Of all the players to have ever played for us, he was one of them.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Dude lived the dream. Tall, good looking, one of the few footballers who can string an articulate sentence together - and retired in his 30s with millions in the bank. Widely liked as well, despite never really doing much. Legend.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I know this isn't one of those big problems, but I said at the time that this was an absolutely pointless signing and I stand by that. Two appearances in four seasons. I don't have a bad word to say about him and best of luck, he was living the dream for almost five years.
I disagree, 3rd choice goalkeepers are necessary.
It's a good thing if they end up being unused.

The pointless thing was extending him for another year and signing Heaton last summer. Visionless recruitment.

Mickson

I disagree, 3rd choice goalkeepers are necessary.
It's a good thing if they end up being unused.

The pointless thing was extending him for another year and signing Heaton last summer. Visionless recruitment.
I understand the point of them but I don't agree. We had Kovar for most of the season here, who is a better keeper and has (well not as much) but nearly similar experience from lower divisions. And that's IF we would really need him, which we didn't for four years. I agree about Heaton. Nathan Bishop is another absolutely pointless GK signing.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I understand the point of them but I don't agree. We had Kovar for most of the season here, who is a better keeper and has (well not as much) but nearly similar experience from lower divisions. And that's IF we would really need him, which we didn't for four years. I agree about Heaton. Nathan Bishop is another absolutely pointless GK signing.
Didn't Kovar completely shit himself out on loan last year? (back when Grant was our 3rd, not 4th GK). Going off of that, he probably wasn't ready.

Ajax actually got knocked out of the Europa last season because their 3rd GK (a kid) had a stinker.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
The point with this type of signing was worst case scenario if 2 GKs gets injured. I think Grant at times actually was our 4th choice, just in case 2 get injured to have one on the bench.
Also it makes it possible to send the best young GK out on loan instead of being 3rd-4th choice.
It also makes it easier in training to have more GKs, both for experience to help the younger ones, but also for certain drills.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He came he saw he conquered. From bringing on subs to looking on from the outskirts

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Lee Grant has been a professional and contributing squad member that got along with everyone. His role as 3rd goalie was never one of prestige, but nevertheless he made himself loved. Heres to a well deserved retirement from professional football

RonaldoVII

Lee Grant has been a professional and contributing squad member that got along with everyone. His role as 3rd goalie was never one of prestige, but nevertheless he made himself loved. Heres to a well deserved retirement from professional football
Agreed. Sounds like a nice chap too and lived his boyhood dream getting to play for United.

Uniquim

McKenna coming back to poach our backroom staff. Martyn Pert is at Ipswich too.
From what I read about him he was good to have around the team.
Best of luck to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.