Lee O'Connor

jb8521

Probably too soon although he seems very highly rated. From the bit I've seen of him he seems very good both defensively and going forward.

A bit worrying that he appeared to lose his place in the Irish XI at the Under 17 Euros even though he started the tournament as captain.
He didn't lose his place he was only back after being out injured and wasn't fit to play the game against England

Redo91

He didn't lose his place he was only back after being out injured and wasn't fit to play the game against England
I know himself and Connolly were left out of the first game as they were returning from injury. However after he started and scored an OG against Germany he didn't start the QF against England. Do you know if he was dropped from that or did he have a knock?

jb8521

I know himself and Connolly were left out of the first game as they were returning from injury. However after he started and scored an OG against Germany he didn't start the QF against England. Do you know if he was dropped from that or did he have a knock?
Not sure whether he actually got another knock or not but he was rushed back because he's so important to that Irish team and was played in the group game despite barely even training after the injury. He wasn't dropped anyway so I presume he either picked up a knock or was shattered after the group games.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Lot of talk when Paddy left in the summer about our Irish connection ending, but so am certain we will soon have another with the first team.

This kid looks as much a natural as I've seen. Even despite being only 16, the game always looks a bit men against boys for O'Connor. So easy. He looks like he can play any position on he pitch. A natural right back, but playing at centre half and running rings round opposing strikers from back there all day.

Very excited to see how he develops.
Knew as soon as I saw him. Kid is as natural a footballer as I can remember seeing. An absolute gem, and injury permitting, I’m almost certain he’ll be a Manchester United player.

He could probably play as a 10 and be the best player in the pitch. Born with a football that kid.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I didn't think he was quite as great as some people on here have described! However what was impressive was given his age at just 17 he did not look overawed playing against people much older.

POF

Reminds me of a quick Blind in a lot of ways.

Don't know why he is playing CB though as he will never play there at senior level with his height and build.
I completely agree. I cannot understand why he is playing so much at centre back. He is very composed there and can start the attacks from deep but the chances of him playing senior football in that position are slim.

He looks a genuine prospect at right back. What made it more unusual vs Spurs was how out of place Warren looked at right back.

ariel

Must say the tackle towards the end, which in my opinion deserved a yellow card to the spurs player, impressed me. The way he got up and continued. No rolling about etc

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Need to figure out a first choice position for him soon and groom him there.
He came as a right back, and seems to have bizarrely been forbidden from playing there. That said, I imagine there is method to our development of him so just have to wait and see, but he can play anywhere he’s that good.

AP88

Supports
Man City
If he was a few inches taller he’d have a great chance of becoming an elite centreback....but he isn’t so right back is likely where he’ll gradually stay.

TheCorkman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Tasty finish for Lee starting as a midfielder today. He's beginning to look like a Phillip Lahm replica with his consistency, versatility and quality. He's such an all round brilliant footballer at his age that hopefully he gets introduced to the first team sooner than later.

deafepl

Tasty finish for Lee starting as a midfielder today. He's beginning to look like a Phillip Lahm replica with his consistency, versatility and quality. He's such an all round brilliant footballer at his age that hopefully he gets introduced to the first team sooner than later.
he's the type of player LVG would love to have in the first team.

The Irish Connection

How's it going corkman?! I'm also from cork.

Watched this lad properly recently for the under 18s I think, and straight away said feck he can pass!
Looks like midfield could be best for him. And agreed, he looks a natural footballer.
Delighted to know that an Irishman has a good chance of getting near the first team again, but obviously, early days.
Keane and Irvin played a massive part in my grá for United!

deafepl

Watched this lad properly recently for the under 18s I think, and straight away said feck he can pass!
Looks like midfield could be best for him. And agreed, he looks a natural footballer.
Delighted to know that an Irishman has a good chance of getting near the first team again, but obviously, early days.
If Mctominay can get a game for the first games, Conner will get a game for sure but maybe in years. He has moved to the U23 from the U18 recently.

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.

Another langer here

Trizy

Look what you did with the bump, you're after getting 3 Cork lads excited... bet their voices are pitching very highly at the moment :rolleyes:. Twill be impossible to quieten the feckers in this thread now! (Cork people are very easily excited).

@royboy16
@The Irish Connection
@TheCorkman

LimerickRed

Look what you did with the bump, you're after getting 3 Cork lads excited... bet their voices are pitching very highly at the moment :rolleyes:. Twill be impossible to quieten the feckers in this thread now! (Cork people are very easily excited).

@royboy16
@The Irish Connection
@TheCorkman
Haha I'm in University in Cork I know how to deal with them by now! Just tell them its the real capital keep them happy!

TheCorkman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Haha I'm in University in Cork I know how to deal with them by now! Just tell them its the real capital keep them happy!
Welcome to the forum, good to get the Irish contingent up here and interested in the youth teams too. For the Ireland Turkey game the last day we had 4 Cork starters. Counting Declan Rice as Cork too, and considering Maguire and Long are included by an adoption/residence rule - we're almost ready for our own Catalan style breakaway side.

Being from north Cork I think 80% of people in school were United fans due to Keane and Irwin - great bunch of lads.

In fairness the Ireland underages are doing great these days. Parrot (Spurs), McAuley (Liverpool) and Idah (Norwich) have all impressed me a lot. We've a group of good players at Southampton and Liverpool too including Caoimhín Kelleher from Cobh.

The Irish Connection

Welcome to the forum, good to get the Irish contingent up here and interested in the youth teams too. For the Ireland Turkey game the last day we had 4 Cork starters. Counting Declan Rice as Cork too, and considering Maguire and Long are included by an adoption/residence rule - we're almost ready for our own Catalan style breakaway side.

Being from north Cork I think 80% of people in school were United fans due to Keane and Irwin - great bunch of lads.

In fairness the Ireland underages are doing great these days. Parrot (Spurs), McAuley (Liverpool) and Idah (Norwich) have all impressed me a lot. We've a group of good players at Southampton and Liverpool too including Caoimhín Kelleher from Cobh.
Haha, yeah seanie maguire is definitely one of us now

My old doll always tells the story of how she sat on keanos lap as a smallie in a pub on Shandon street and dipped her dummy in his pint!

That's good to hear. Will keep an eye out for those lads in future. O Connor is the main hope though for United

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Said before that he’s such a good player, he could easily be a number 10 if he wanted to. First time I saw him, he wasn’t just stopping attackers, who looked twice his size, he was also running rings around them from the back too. His touch was perfect, he was then side-stepping and spinning away. He looked like a Spanish midfielder in defence.

I like him as a RB though.

khoazany

Yep remind me of Lahm. The type of "defender" that you really have to stay alert when he has the ball on the other side of the pitch. Such natural footballer. We should have got him up with the U23s earlier.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

You’ll enjoy this rumour so.

jb8521

Lee has been called up to train with the Irish senior team

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Oh god yes please :drool: Is it just for training or will he be in the proper squad for the match?

May as well just get him capped, I'm sick of the rest of the shite we've got and we may as well be giving debuts to proper good young players than to random 30 year old cloggers in the Championship. I see we've also called up Obafemi and former United man Jimmy Dunne.

jb8521

Oh god yes please :drool: Is it just for training or will he be in the proper squad for the match?

May as well just get him capped, I'm sick of the rest of the shite we've got and we may as well be giving debuts to proper good young players than to random 30 year old cloggers in the Championship. I see we've also called up Obafemi and former United man Jimmy Dunne.
Just called up for training because of withdrawals which saw Obefemi & Caoimhin Kelleher called up but hopefully some of the other crap in the squad will withdraw & get him called up properly. Yeah I'd much prefer to see us sacrifice a campaign & get a decent group of young players ready for the next campaign rather than just rinse & repeat with the same players who've proven failures over & over again but can't see it happening under O'Neill or the higher ups in the FAI

Redo91

Great to see. Hopefully he is knocking on the door with United in the not too distant future. Would have loved if he was considered for selection. Going to the game on Thursday and would have loved to see more of the younger players involved. Hopefully Obafemi gets a run!