Lee O'Connor

WhoDaGOAT

Hopefully things work out for him here, unlike Byrne who I used to rate.

LouisDanGaal

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
It has now been confirmed that the teenager has agreed a three year contract at Man Utd and will move to the club this summer.
New Manchester United signing Lee O'Connor has told of his delight at his transfer - and says he feels he is good enough to make the first-team.

The 15-year-old Republic of Ireland defender confirmed he has agreed a three year contract at Old Trafford, moving from current club Waterford on June 27.

The full-back is captain of Ireland Under-16s and was last month named Ireland's Under-15 player of the year.

Speaking exclusively to Adrian Flanagan, of Waterford Sport in the Waterford News & Star, he said: “I suppose for me in the end it wasn’t a very difficult decision to make.

"From the moment I went over to Manchester United, I just knew that there was no point me thinking about signing for any other club and I always wanted to go there.

“I want to develop as a football player and I want to become the best player that I can be by signing for one of the biggest clubs in world football. It was the best place for me to go.

"It’s the place with the best coaches and the best facilities so in that way, it was easy.

“When I went over to Manchester United I was lucky enough to train with the likes of Marcus Rashford and I’ve met many of the top players but the thing is I’ve signed for Manchester United in the hope of playing for the first-team.

“I’m going there because I want to play football. I want to play for the first-team of Manchester United and I’ll be honest, I wouldn’t be making this move unless I felt that I was good enough.

"I don’t think that Manchester United would want me to sign for them either if that’s what they didn’t want me to do."

O'Connor has been compared to former Waterford and United player John O'Shea but the level-headed lad remains grounded.

He added: "John O’Shea has probably been one of the best Irish footballers in the past decade for both club and country.

"When I hear people compare me to him, it’s unreal to hear that but I’ve achieved nothing yet.

“I haven’t done anything yet and while this move is one that I’m really looking forward too, it’s not something that has really phased me. The next three years of my life will dictate my future in the game of football but I’m willing to work so hard.

“Even though I don’t make the move until June 27, I’m focused now on being the best and trying to be the best.”

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...l-news/man-utd-transfer-news-oconnor-11223052

spenzo

Saying all the right things in that interview. Sounds like a humble kid but definitely has a lot of self-belief which is great. Very excited to him get started and to see what position the coaches see him in as he's been said to play in several.

Brightonian

Saying all the right things in that interview. Sounds like a humble kid but definitely has a lot of self-belief which is great. Very excited to him get started and to see what position the coaches see him in as he's been said to play in several.
I wouldn't worry about it; they'll work it out during his time with the U16s and U18s, he'll progress to the U21s with an established best position, quickly make that role in the team his own, and then Van Gaal will watch one game and tell Joyce to convert him to something completely different a week before his first team debut...
This is a joke, and nothing more. Please refrain from throat-jumping. Timmy is too good for positions anyway.

spenzo

I wouldn't worry about it; they'll work it out during his time with the U16s and U18s, he'll progress to the U21s with an established best position, quickly make that role in the team his own, and then Van Gaal will watch one game and tell Joyce to convert him to something completely different a week before his first team debut...
This is a joke, and nothing more. Please refrain from throat-jumping. Timmy is too good for positions anyway.
:lol::lol:

Well call me an optimist but I'm hoping Van Gaal won't be around come next season so we can avoid seeing things like Tuanzebe on the right wing and Mitchell in central midfield on their debuts lol.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He sounds a bit...TimNiceButDim maybe?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
:lol::lol:

Well call me an optimist but I'm hoping Van Gaal won't be around come next season so we can avoid seeing things like Tuanzebe on the right wing and Mitchell in central midfield on their debuts lol.
Warren Joyce actually has played Tuanzebe on the right wing, set him on his way as well so.

jb8521

O'Connor captained Ireland u17s in 2 games against Slovenia this week. In the first game he scored and had a part in another goal and in the 2nd game he had an assist, he played right back in both games. He's the number 2 in this video.

jb8521

O'Connor was captain and had an assist for Ireland u17s in a 2-0 win against Turkey on Tuesday and scored in 3-2 win today. Goal from 1:05

WhoDaGOAT

Lovely finish by Connolly for the second goal. Terrific run by O'Connor and a tidy finish.

The Irish keeper should probably have saved both their goals.

FromTheBench

That's a pretty nice run and composed finish for a defender. Seems a very solid all round talent.

jb8521

Shit that's a nice goal. Getting excited about this kid. For club and country. Is he really captain of the U17s at 15? Or has he turned 16 yet?
He turned 16 in July so the u17s is his age group. He was playing for the u17s last season as well though

khoazany

I'm really intrigued about which position he will end up long-term.Seems very versatile in a good way.

Nickosaur

I'm really intrigued about which position he will end up long-term.Seems very versatile in a good way.
The next TFM?

I admit I don't know much about this lad - where has he played so far in his career? Is he mainly a defender who can play further forward or a midfielder who can put a shift in defence?

jb8521

The next TFM?

I admit I don't know much about this lad - where has he played so far in his career? Is he mainly a defender who can play further forward or a midfielder who can put a shift in defence?
His best position from what I've seen is right back but I've seen him play rb, cb, lb, rm and cm and he's been impressive in them all

Utdstar01

Seems he's very versatile but looks to have all the attributes to be an awesome RB. The attacking play and support he would bring to that right flank would be invaluable IMO and his final delivery seems to be very good.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Being on the bench for U23 as a 16yr old is very, very impressive and says a lot about how he has impressed for United so far.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Lot of talk when Paddy left in the summer about our Irish connection ending, but so am certain we will soon have another with the first team.

This kid looks as much a natural as I've seen. Even despite being only 16, the game always looks a bit men against boys for O'Connor. So easy. He looks like he can play any position on he pitch. A natural right back, but playing at centre half and running rings round opposing strikers from back there all day.

Very excited to see how he develops.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Yeah, he looks the real deal. Consistent performer. Let's hope he keeps it going.

TheCorkman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Nice cross for the second goal. Captaining Ireland u17 who are doing very well. Glenn McAuley of Liverpool and Aaron Connolly of Brighton (I think) look sharp too.

Wan

Is there any chance we'll see him in some cup games next season or is it too soon? Would be nice if he could take over from Valencia in a few years time.

Redo91

Is there any chance we'll see him in some cup games next season or is it too soon? Would be nice if he could take over from Valencia in a few years time.
Probably too soon although he seems very highly rated. From the bit I've seen of him he seems very good both defensively and going forward.

A bit worrying that he appeared to lose his place in the Irish XI at the Under 17 Euros even though he started the tournament as captain.