Lee O'Connor

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I really like Lee O'Connor as a player and there is a lot of talent there, but positionally he is not good defensively at full back. How could he be? In his key development years he rarely played there.

Up against Felipe Anderson it would have been a huge gamble to play him.
That isn't true though. He played their plenty enough and his reading of the game is his best attribute.

Keefy18

I just don't see the point in playing Rojo if we are planning of getting rid. These guys are mercenaries and don't care about the club, on top of being absolute shit. I feel we have very little to lose by giving a youth player that place and we might get a player in the process. There are so many great examples of kids thrown in the deep and delivering. I also feel we are going in circles so let's agree to disagree.
We've top 4 to lose.

We need it ideally, August is a clean slate and if points are dropped in August it won't hurt us as much as losing them in April. The pressure is immense at the moment I'd say for Ole to get Top 4. I don't think he'll be sacked but I'd say the board still put it to him that's what he should still achieve.

The summer is vital, rebuild and introduce these young lads properly as more consistent starts then. Not when the pressure is on and he still most likely doesn't know what he wants fully from the team.

Kostov

Don't know what your deal is constantly bashing Ole's decisions, even though clearly he's playing youth more than Mourinho was it's still not good enough. How does it not make sense to you that Ole wants to give everyone a chance? Everyone started with a clean slate under him and that includes Rojo. Whether you like him or not. What they do with that chance determines whether they will be here next season. It's that simple. It wasn't even a strange decision to play him as we already had the youthful Dalot playing on the other side who, like O'Connor, isn't the best defensively just yet. He tried to balance the team, which is fair enough. That it didn't work out that way in the end doesn't change anything. I'm not sure what other decisions you find so appalling. Do you really want him to take a huge gamble by starting Angel and Greenwood for the first time in a must win game? There would be a massive shitstorm on here if that backfired. Especially when we had someone like Lingard who whether you like it or not has scored a fair amount of goals for us available. He's easing Greenwood (the only youngster we have that seems PL-ready) into the first team which is the right thing to do. He's playing McTominay in important games. He's shown faith in Fred (who's justifying it) while the rest of us had already written him (an expensive asset) off. He got rid of Fellaini. He's making the tough calls that Mourinho didn't yet somehow people like you are still bashing him on here for not ditching our entire first team and playing our under 23 squad instead. It's ridiculous.

/Rant
My deal with bashing Ole? Bashing? Can I not criticize some of the stupid decisions he makes? Or we are going to pretend that all he does is perfect?

How's that everyone gets a clean slate and than you go and spout bullshit about selling Fellaini? Fellaini was actually much more useful than shit like Rojo. So that does not cut here. No not everyone should get a clean slate imo. Players have been here long enough and failed to deliver. Even under his tenure players failed to deliver and yet get 90 minutes week in week out.

He's making good decisions but also some appalling ones. Just like Mourinho he seems to have picked favorites and never gets them out. Lingard yesterday, Rashford midweek and there are other examples. He could have picked Pereira yesterday instead of Mata who does not want to sigh a new contract here. And we can go on and on. Just because it's ole does not mean that we should stick our head in the sand and warship.

0le

SAF was very careful giving debuts to young players. He was very careful in introducing them slowly to the team through mostly the league cup, fa cup or the last few minutes of a PL game. The exception was Rooney and maybe Ronaldo, though I remember Ronaldo was regularly on the bench in his first season.

Some of the comments regarding Ole here have been ridiculous. Lee will be introduced if and when the coaching staff and Ole feel he is ready. This won't just be determined just by what you guys see, which is the youth football. It'll also be based on attitude off the pitch and training sessions. Just let the young players develop and be glad that there is technology now that we can watch some of that development through the youth games. Calling for youth players to start is fine - but resenting and labelling incumbent managers when they don't is ridiculous and nonsense. I understand that there is a grey area in some cases, but you cannot seriously believe Ole has not given a chance to some youth...

Kostov

We've top 4 to lose.

We need it ideally, August is a clean slate and if points are dropped in August it won't hurt us as much as losing them in April. The pressure is immense at the moment I'd say for Ole to get Top 4. I don't think he'll be sacked but I'd say the board still put it to him that's what he should still achieve.

The summer is vital, rebuild and introduce these young lads properly as more consistent starts then. Not when the pressure is on and he still most likely doesn't know what he wants fully from the team.
Don't worry, playing like that with that in game management and team selections top 4 is pretty much done. I'd gladly eat my words but that is the circle of shitstorms at this club as it seems.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Greenwood did well when he came on, played his part in the win for sure. Shane we don't have a manager who puts his faith in youth though. :(

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I really like Lee O'Connor as a player and there is a lot of talent there, but positionally he is not good defensively at full back. How could he be? In his key development years he rarely played there.

Up against Felipe Anderson it would have been a huge gamble to play him.
O'Connor always plays at full back, what are you on about? He's one of the best defensive full backs of his age group, how can you say he's not positionally good?

Keefy18

Don't worry, playing like that with that in game management and team selections top 4 is pretty much done. I'd gladly eat my words but that is the circle of shitstorms at this club as it seems.
It's very much far from done!

Have you seen Arsenals away form? Two wins (Huddersfield & Blackpool) in 12. They play Watford, Wolves, Burnley and Leicester still all away. They will lose at least 2 of those I reckon.

Chelsea are hit n miss, play us still and Watford as well.

Spurs still to play City, West Ham and Everton.

As for game management, he's made some odd choices with Young at CB which is very bizarre. Still he is doing so much better than Jose was with the same group. He needs time and the summer to put his own mark on the side.

Kostov

It's very much far from done!

Have you seen Arsenals away form? Two wins (Huddersfield & Blackpool) in 12. They play Watford, Wolves, Burnley and Leicester still all away. They will lose at least 2 of those I reckon.

Chelsea are hit n miss, play us still and Watford as well.

Spurs still to play City, West Ham and Everton.

As for game management, he's made some odd choices with Young at CB which is very bizarre. Still he is doing so much better than Jose was with the same group. He needs time and the summer to put his own mark on the side.
Forget about Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs, we’ve been bad and that is worrying me. Some strange decisions by Ole as well. I think we will miss out.

limerickcitykid

O'Connor always plays at full back, what are you on about? He's one of the best defensive full backs of his age group, how can you say he's not positionally good?
He played a fair bit at CB for the u18/19s because he was so good defensively for the team. But yea, he's played almost as much at full back and his defensive awareness and maturity are his best attributes so it's a ridiculous take to claim he has poor positioning.

Keefy18

Forget about Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs, we’ve been bad and that is worrying me. Some strange decisions by Ole as well. I think we will miss out.
We can't forget about them, they are our rivals. They will drop points.

I can see us beating Everton, Chelsea, Huddersfield and Cardiff. Even three of them and a draw will get us across the line I reckon.

City will beat us probably though.

POF

Except he didn't. He played mainly at centre back at u18/19 level or even in midfield. I don't think he played at full back more than 5 times in 2 years at u18 level.

He's played more at full back for the u23s under the expert tutelage of Sbragia. It's really mind boggling why he's not coming on in leaps and bounds.

Kostov

We can't forget about them, they are our rivals. They will drop points.

I can see us beating Everton, Chelsea, Huddersfield and Cardiff. Even three of them and a draw will get us across the line I reckon.

City will beat us probably though.
If we don't improve fast and drastically, we won't beat Chelsea neither Everton away.

lysglimt

Scout
76 Points will probably do for top-4. For us that means 4 wins - and the last 2 I simply can't see us not winning. (Huddersfield away, and Cardiff at home). Needless to say - that match at Everton will be deciding.

Arsenal will need to get 13 Points in their last 6 games to reach 76 and beat us on GD - and they have some tough games away.
Spurs have 3 Points on us and superior GD - so they only need 9 Points from 5 games. They should get that.
Chelsea with a defeat today will need 10 Points from their last 4 games to reach 76 Points.

Kostov

76 Points will probably do for top-4. For us that means 4 wins - and the last 2 I simply can't see us not winning. (Huddersfield away, and Cardiff at home). Needless to say - that match at Everton will be deciding.

Arsenal will need to get 13 Points in their last 6 games to reach 76 and beat us on GD - and they have some tough games away.
Spurs have 3 Points on us and superior GD - so they only need 9 Points from 5 games. They should get that.
Chelsea with a defeat today will need 10 Points from their last 4 games to reach 76 Points.
I've seen the remaining fixtures and everyone is on better odds than us imo.

Arsenal will pick up some points away, is bound to happen, Spurs will get there and it will probably be it.

limerickcitykid

Except he didn't. He played mainly at centre back at u18/19 level or even in midfield. I don't think he played at full back more than 5 times in 2 years at u18 level.

He's played more at full back for the u23s under the expert tutelage of Sbragia. It's really mind boggling why he's not coming on in leaps and bounds.
He played over 15 times at fullback for the u18/19s. He played in midfield like once.

None of which changes the fact you claiming he has poor defensive positioning is absolutely ridiculous.

Keefy18

If we don't improve fast and drastically, we won't beat Chelsea neither Everton away.
We've already beaten Chelsea! The 2-2 game we were robbed by a 96th min goal from Barkley. If anything we should be 2-0 against them.

Think you are being overly defeatist here. Ole has played 16 PL games, won 12, drawn 2, lost 2 giving us 38 pts from a maximum of 48 pts.

Yes we've dropped off compared to his start but his start was never going to continue in a similar vain, he was over achieving with those opening 10 games.

None of the other top sides have as a good a record in their last 16 games, Not even Liverpool with 37 pts from 48.

deadrevelz

We've top 4 to lose.

The only pressure will come from Ole himself. The idea that he is 'expected' to get top four is ridiculous. We are only in with a shout because of our great run under him.

Kostov

We've already beaten Chelsea! The 2-2 game we were robbed by a 96th min goal from Barkley. If anything we should be 2-0 against them.

Think you are being overly defeatist here. Ole has played 16 PL games, won 12, drawn 2, lost 2 giving us 38 pts from a maximum of 48 pts.

Yes we've dropped off compared to his start but his start was never going to continue in a similar vain, he was over achieving with those opening 10 games.

None of the other top sides have as a good a record in their last 16 games, Not even Liverpool with 37 pts from 48.
What is our record in the last 6-7 games? The momentum has dropped and it’s not defeatest to be realistic and say as it is.

POF

Training with the first team with Angel, Jimmy, and Chong.
That's fantastic news. I hope he impresses. I always thought McKenna really rated him and was surprised he didn't get the call up previously.

jb8521

I've heard he prefers playing CB and has thrown a strop on a few occasions when deployed at fullback. @jb8521 will know for sure..
I highly doubt that's true, he doesn't seem the type to throw strops & from what I've heard he sees himself more as a full back than cb.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
How did he do? He could save us some cash on another RB.
I had to go out 5 minutes after my original post so didn't see the match, A talented lad but not sure he'll make it at United more because of stature than ability.

I've heard he prefers playing CB and has thrown a strop on a few occasions when deployed at fullback. @jb8521 will know for sure..
Just can't imagine that, not at United anyway, and it's with the Republic nobody is listening because he's always played rb/lb or right-midfield for them.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Him and Laird make me think we will go for a LB instead this summer. He’ll go on tour, right?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Yeah, that's a shame, but it will be a good experience for him to get some tournament success hopefully ;)

fitzmertz

He is playing in central midfield for Ireland against Norway in the European u19 championship. Currently losing 1-0