Leeds (dirty thugs) discussion

The Real Treble 99

Nope For me it has been & always will be 1.Liverpool 2.Leeds 3.Arsenal & then City in terms of rivalry. Wow basically fans under 20 won’t know anything about the rivalry. Great games between us & great atmosphere.

Eggric

I am calling it now - United will be scheduled to host Leeds at OT before crowds are allowed back into EPL stadiums, so that the police don't have to manage that situation. But, conveniently, we will have to travel to Leeds once crowds are back (the powers that be will want to give Leeds the home advantage.)

norm87cro

Watch them being crap most of the season and then doing the Barcelona against us. But I did miss them and the games will be electric. I'm not that old and I have a vague memory of the 91/92 season but I quite clearly remember the generation of Bowyer, Smith and Kewell. Playing the likes of Wigan, Reading and Bournemouth just isn't the same like playing the likes of Leeds and Forest.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I'm delighted to have them back. My father and uncle are Leeds fans so I'm happy for them, and having your rivals in the league with you is far better than a load of teams with whom you have no history.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Think they'll be great in the Prem. They outplayed Arsenal in the Cup, just didn't have the quality to make them pay. Think if they sign well then they'll do good. They're the most dominant championship team in history statistically I think (in terms of xg etc). It's a very hard league to dominate in terms of game to game. Some of their defeats were ridiculous, just missed countless sitters and conceded from teams only shot all game. Could be a risk of burnout but that was said this year too. Bielsa is a great addition to the league also although the media coverage will be unbearable.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I think honestly this is good news for the league and while I hope they don’t do to well I’m glad they are in the league as that’s two more potential crackers on the calendar now. The only negative is that they will treat our game like cup finals so it will be harder for us than many of our rivals.

cian68

Think they'll be great in the Prem. They outplayed Arsenal in the Cup, just didn't have the quality to make them pay. Think if they sign well then they'll do good. They're the most dominant championship team in history statistically I think (in terms of xg etc). It's a very hard league to dominate in terms of game to game. Some of their defeats were ridiculous, just missed countless sitters and conceded from teams only shot all game. Could be a risk of burnout but that was said this year too. Bielsa is a great addition to the league also although the media coverage will be unbearable.
They were hardly going to burnout this year after a three month break before the run in.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I remember them being promoted in 1990. My dad warned me repeatedly that they were a rough bunch, to the point that I thought he must be exaggerating. He wasn't. On our way to the home game against them, we heard a racket on Trafford Rd and turned to see that an entire coach load had 'allowed themselves' off the bus and were fighting their way towards the ground. Just got off the coach slap bang in the middle of all the match going Reds and fancied their chances despite the odds!

Fecking nut jobs. And they revel in their scummy, Dirty Leeds image, so will try their best to maintain it.

Does make for an exciting day out, if you're that way inclined, though.

GeorgieBoy

Where do we rank them in our list of rivals then?

Below the Dippers obviously but above City now for me.

Kopral Jono

Liverpool, Leeds, City. In that order.

Horrible set of fans, dare I say worse than the Scousers. Almost came to blows with one at a pub in Singapore over some harmless comments ten plus years ago. The idea of us simply existing seems to offend them.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
They really need to upgrade on Bamford, unless he somehow learns to finish before the next season. Never seen a striker miss so many sitters

Al-T

I welcome the return of Leeds like I'd welcome waking up to discover I'd developed a third nostril.

Horrible club. Horrible supporters. Clough was right.

I've enjoyed every second of their self inflicted struggles over the last fifteen years.

keithsingleton

I welcome the return of Leeds like I'd welcome waking up to discover I'd developed a third nostril.

I've enjoyed every second of their self inflicted struggles over the last fifteen years.
Stop giving them credit....... It's 16 years. :lol:

Ludens the Red

This

SAFMUTD

Ive never felt the rivalry against Leeds, Im not from England and dont know a single person who is a Leeds fan so thats why. Regarding Bielsa, its hard not to like him his philosophy is one of the purest not just in football but in sports, he always promote spectacle but he never wins a thing, I spect exactly the same. Beautiful football and Leeds relegated next summer.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I do like Bielsa...

For all the negatives their fans are gonna get coming back into the limelight, he is the direct polar opposite.

I've missed Leeds tbh, I'm glad they're back as they're a proper club, albeit a proper shithouse club.

I was too young for anything other than the Wilkinson years onwards in the early to mid 90's but I've never been to a game against them as a United fan, only as a Saints fan in rugby and they're a bunch of cnuts - we all hate Leeds scum no matter where you're from or what sport you play. Only postiive I've ever known about Leeds was losing my viriginity there.

Looking forward to the rivalry being back and hope Forest come up too because they're another big club from the 90's.

RashyForPM

Wouldn’t it be nice if WBA and Forest joined Leeds, replacing Bournemouth, Watford and Norwich. So much history right there. The closest thing we’ll ever get to a real Premier League, with the Big 6, Villa, Everton, Leicester, Wolves, West Ham, Sheff Utd, Palace, Newcastle, Southampton and the aforementioned 3. Brighton and Burnley would be the only teams next season in the league whom you wouldn’t classify as Premier League teams.

If this happens, our league starts next year as the best in the world again, despite our recent lack of European trophies bar last year and our Europa win. Madrid and Bayern may be better than any team we have, but Granada, Levante, Augsburg and Hoffenheim wouldn’t even get into a traditional 24 team Championship.

RoyH1

...but Granada, Levante, Augsburg and Hoffenheim wouldn’t even get into a traditional 24 team Championship.
I’m completely in agreement with your fine post until you wrote this unnecessary bit. Have you even watched a Granada or Levante play for 90 minutes? The latter just drew with a Zidane led Real Madrid. How many championship teams can do that?

And yes, it’s great having proper clubs with long and rich histories coming back into the Premiership. It’s hard mustering some sort of enthusiasm sometimes for the likes of Brighton but WBA and Forest are another matter.

Grande

Wouldn’t it be nice if WBA and Forest joined Leeds, replacing Bournemouth, Watford and Norwich. So much history right there. The closest thing we’ll ever get to a real Premier League, with the Big 6, Villa, Everton, Leicester, Wolves, West Ham, Sheff Utd, Palace, Newcastle, Southampton and the aforementioned 3. Brighton and Burnley would be the only teams next season in the league whom you wouldn’t classify as Premier League teams.

If this happens, our league starts next year as the best in the world again, despite our recent lack of European trophies bar last year and our Europa win. Madrid and Bayern may be better than any team we have, but Granada, Levante, Augsburg and Hoffenheim wouldn’t even get into a traditional 24 team Championship.
AUou seem to confuse reputation with quality. Granada are a much better team than Leeds. Burnley is too, and has been for many seasons on a roll.

SambaBoy

Yeah true that. Just need Sheff Wed to get promoted next season, and Bradford to make their way back in.

freeurmind

weak willed
Can I just add my voice to those saying feck Leeds and I hope they go straight back down next season.

RedorDead21

They have a top 4 manager I suspect. Won’t have the funds so they’ll need him to keep them up.

Oldyella

Can I just add my voice to those saying feck Leeds and I hope they go straight back down next season.
Here here. All these people talking about how nice it is to have a rival back? feck that noise, had hoped we had seen the last of the cnuts.

freeurmind

weak willed
Here here. All these people talking about how nice it is to have a rival back? feck that noise, had hoped we had seen the last of the cnuts.
I hope we play them at theirs late next season and send them down.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Nope For me it has been & always will be 1.Liverpool 2.Leeds 3.Arsenal & then City in terms of rivalry. Wow basically fans under 20 won’t know anything about the rivalry. Great games between us & great atmosphere.
Old fans such as myself remember when Spurs was more of a rival than Arsenal.

G-manc

Leeds will be fine (unfortunately).

Bielsa probably won't bring any big names in but he has a system which works. They will lose a few and probably get hammered a few times but they will also surprise a few - more Sheff United/Burnley than Norwich.

freeurmind

weak willed
Bielsa's style demands alot of the players. Can see Leeds doing a Norwich, getting a few good results early then collapsing towards the end of the season.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper

I wouldn't categorise Palace as a PL team really and rate Burnley above them as Burnley were a decent team in the 50's.

As for teams missing, the real big ones missing now are Forest and Sunderland. Arguments can then be made for Wednesday, Burnley, Preston, Blackburn, Derby, Ipswich, Portsmouth and Huddersfield as all those teams have had reasonable periods of history were they were top teams.

If I had to pick a 20 biggest English PL, mine would be:

Utd
Liverpool
Chelsea
Arse
Villa
Newcastle
Sunderland
Forest
Leeds
City
Spuds
Sheff Utd
Sheff Weds
Wolves
Everton
Blackburn
Huddersfield (owing to their 1930's team)
West Ham
Derby
Ipswich (just nudge in owing to their Uefa Cup win.)