Leeds (dirty thugs) discussion

el3mel

There's really no inbetween for them, either win big or lose big regardless of the opposition. :lol:

The Urban Goose

Bielsa is a genius, if he were managing Man Utd they'd easily win the league.*

Wait, what?

* per John Giles.

lysglimt

Scout
Have to give Leeds credit - they tried to attack when even 3-0 down against the mighty Barcelo eh I mean...Crawley Town

lysglimt

Scout
I just don't get what Bielsa has ever done to deserve the credit he gets - I am not trying to slaughter him or anything, I just don't get it.

65 years old - what has he done that is so remarkable that people talk about him like a genious ?

(...)

Supports
Arsenal
I just don't get what Bielsa has ever done to deserve the credit he gets - I am not trying to slaughter him or anything, I just don't get it.

65 years old - what has he done that is so remarkable that people talk about him like a genious ?
It's something that happens in every fields, art, sport, science. You will always have extreme ideologists who are willing to try new things, be completely obsessed with what they do and develop a cult around them because of their uniqueness. You absolutely need these people to allow more pragmatic ones to strive on their discovery.
Those obscure rappers that no one listens to but are revered by other rappers.
Those weird south-american/east-europan film directors that create unwatchable movies but are somehow always loved by their peers.
You need these outliers but they don't deserve the credit they get.
Bielsa is one of those, and I don't think he will be remembered as a great coach outside of football aficionados, like Jodorowsky for an example outside of football.

Reactions: lysglimt

lysglimt

Scout
It's something that happens in every fields, art, sport, science. You will always have extreme ideologists who are willing to try new things, be completely obsessed with what they do and develop a cult around them because of their uniqueness. You absolutely need these people to allow more pragmatic ones to strive on their discovery.
Those obscure rappers that no one listens to but are revered by other rappers.
Those weird south-american/east-europan film directors that create unwatchable movies but are somehow always loved by their peers.
You need these outliers but they don't deserve the credit they get.
Bielsa is one of those, and I don't think he will be remembered as a great coach outside of football aficionados, like Jodorowsky for an example outside of football.
You might be right - it certainly isn't based on his results:

Remove the years at Velez and at Marseille in 97/98 and 14/15 - and he has done NOTHING out of the ordinary at club-level. Absolutely nothing in 30 years.

He was crap at Lille, mediocre at Bilbao, and at Lazio he retired before he even started.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
He wasn't mediocre at Bilbao, and he did wonders with Chile, but yes it's not about the results. Which seems to be a massive issue with people who, I suspect, don't watch his teams play.

Red & White

The media love certain managers who can literally get away with any result. The score will be noted on the back pages but I highly doubt any negativity will be aimed at the manager. It will be a positive line around ‘underdogs’. I can’t even begin to imagine how they’d report it if it was OGS/ any United manager with a relative result.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
They need to change it up, they’ll stay up this year but if every side knows exactly what they’re going to do they’ll be struggling next season.
They're like a reverse of Sheff Utd last year in that their attack has played well above expectations, versus SU's defence.
Surprised a lot of teams for half a season with one area of their team having blinders. But then dropping late on, and very easy to see that going into problems next season.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
They're like a reverse of Sheff Utd last year in that their attack has played well above expectations, versus SU's defence.
Surprised a lot of teams for half a season with one area of their team having blinders. But then dropping late on, and very easy to see that going into problems next season.
There was a reason for our dip towards the end of last season to be fair, the break and the restart with no fans. Leeds don’t have that ‘excuse’.

Renegade

Think people are being OTT with their criticism of them now because of the ridiculous over praise they were receiving.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I watched the 2nd half, they were very poor. They just run all over the place. The only players who seem to hold position are the keeper, the two centre backs and the centre forward. Everything in between is just headless charging around.

Dominos

The bitterness towards Bielsa on here is just bizarre isn't it?

Is it because they feel Ole gets a rough ride in the media and so they're lashing out at anyone who the media likes? Very immature if so.

Think people are being OTT with their criticism of them now because of the ridiculous over praise they were receiving.
Yep, lots of insecurity in this thread. I hate Leeds for being Leeds scum, not because they play enjoyable football and some idiots in the media decided to go OTT with their praise

El Zoido

Is it because they feel Ole gets a rough ride in the media and so they're lashing out at anyone who the media likes? Very immature if so.
Probably more to do with the incredibly OTT praise they got while being thrashed by us. If you didn’t know they score you’d think they’d won the game, yet they could have shipped 15 goals. That and feck Leeds.

el3mel

I feel like it's a normal reaction because they were getting really overrated with all this beautiful stuff. I mean it's fine to praise them for playing attacking football in comparison to crap like Burnley and Wolves but people went way over the top with this. Their style is fun on the eye but they don't know how to modify their tactics against teams that counter such style.

Won't be surprised if they get relegated next season.

freeurmind

weak willed
Yes very very strange to see Leeds being mocked on a United forum, There's all these crazy people on here who mock City, Arsenal and Liverpool as well. Needs to stop.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Their go at Liverpool in the 4-3 was a really brave effort and an approach that was a real breath of fresh air, especially from a newly promoted team.

But they've had a few utterly tactically off games, culminating in an absolute pasting against us that should have been a double figure mauling. Yet the commentators and media were treating it in the same fashion still.

Today should be their bread and butter points, yet they were again tactically taken out of the game, and never really looked like scoring.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I feel like it's a normal reaction because they were getting really overrated with all this beautiful stuff. I mean it's fine to praise them for playing attacking football in comparison to crap like Burnley and Wolves but people went way over the top with this. Their style is fun on the eye but they don't know how to modify their tactics against teams that counter such style.

Won't be surprised if they get relegated next season.
If Bielsa doesn't change his tactics, you could definitely see it.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Football fans: fed up of the dinosaurs like Tony Pulis and Alan Pardew keeping getting jobs in the PL.

Also football fans: How stupid are Bielsa, Potter and Hassenhuttl playing so expressive and open with mid table teams, they should feck off the pretty football and tighten up.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Football fans: fed up of the dinosaurs like Tony Pulis and Alan Pardew keeping getting jobs in the PL.

Also football fans: How stupid are Bielsa, Potter and Hassenhuttl playing so expressive and open with mid table teams, they should feck off the pretty football and tighten up.
There is a happy medium between the two!!
They are not exclusive!!

Suvvernmanc

Leeds are absolutely shit. They play an attacking style of football but are shite at the back and have zero defensive cover in midfield. How anyone can praise the manager and this team is beyond me.

Any other club and they'd be slated. It's like Bielsa is this genius, which he's proven before hand, I get that! But they absolutely need to be more pragmatic

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
There is a happy medium between the two!!
They are not exclusive!!
Well in fairness both approaches seem to work at mid table teams (that have a tactical structure). If they defend in numbers they keep enough clean sheets to stay up comfortably and the opposite approach they score and create enough to keep well away from danger.

It's the teams that get caught between both approaches that usually end up in the shit.

paulscholes18

Wonder if this is the beginning of their yearly slump in form under Bielsa, around this time last season they had a run of 10 points in 11 games and the season before that think they went on a similar run of form.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Well in fairness both approaches seem to work at mid table teams (that have a tactical structure). If they defend in numbers they keep enough clean sheets to stay up comfortably and the opposite approach they score and create enough to keep well away from danger.

It's the teams that get caught between both approaches that usually end up in the shit.
Mmm, not sure that's entirely true but I see what your getting at.
Just have a look at Sheffield United for example, defensive with no outlet, don't concede many but can't score, are massively in the rough!
Fulham right now seem to have a good happy medium, 5 at the back but runners going forward, been difficult for Chelsea to break down.

Dominos

Leeds are absolutely shit. They play an attacking style of football but are shite at the back and have zero defensive cover in midfield. How anyone can praise the manager and this team is beyond me.

Any other club and they'd be slated. It's like Bielsa is this genius, which he's proven before hand, I get that! But they absolutely need to be more pragmatic
They've just come up from the championship and are 10 points clear of safety... Are they meant to be in the european places or something?

RashyForPM

Leeds excellent again. May have lost to a team who couldn’t buy a win beforehand but at least they had 1000000% possession, attacking intent and a lovable aura (no they don’t) because they can’t defend but still play wingers at full back and a right back at centre back. Oh and Bielsa squatting down looking like a visionary who knew more about Pep’s Barca than Pep himself. Give them more praise media!

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
For the past fewweeks he's been so overhyped the IMG Studios even made a mini docu about his stint at Leeds :lol:

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Compared to the majority of newly-promoted teams they've been a revelation, in that they don't look to grimly hold on for a point against big teams and always look to trade punches. Their games have been objectively more fun to watch than almost any promoted side in PL history, they've had decent results and they're using a similar squad to the one that got them promoted. All of that adds up to them being of note and being worthy of praise for me. The outright wanking over them as if they are a genuinely good or even great football team, when they've been woeful at the back and I would say ridiculously naive in some games, has been over the top in some quarters but recently any time I've heard them mentioned their dire defensive record has been brought up, it's unavoidable at this point.

Renegade

Where do you expect a newly promoted side playing mostly championship players to be positioned?

MoskvaRed

I’d rather have Bielsa’s Leeds in the PL than a Pulis or Allardyce side. But.... it’s comments like “I’d love to see him managing United” that lead to the negative reaction on here. He’d last about 5 minutes dealing with the pressures and expectations of the United job. He’s the football equivalent of someone like the Velvet Underground (although Lou never played while sat on a bucket) - very Influential but doesn’t sell much and, if we are honest, a fair bit of the output isn’t actually that good.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Bielsa’s sides do well early doors and midseason, he will crash just after Easter, its impossible to keep it up unless you have basically 2 capable teams.

Stadjer

Leeds isnt going to win anything, dont have to qualify for Europe and likely wont get relegated either. In that situation i would always hire a manager that plays fun to watch football and not a Tony Pulis, Big Sam or David Moyes. Bielsa might not be the right fit for a topclub trying to win everything but for a club like Leeds or Bilbao in the past he is perfect. As long as they dont relegate and can watch fun football every week most fans will be happy.