Leeds (dirty thugs) discussion

Giggsyking

Wow, with a player down against the soon title winners goes for the winner, never change the philosophy. Yet we are being reminded every day by others that we need to spend 500m to play attractive football.

They've been overly praised and I think most posters just want them to be criticised rightly for being defensively naive.

Any other team does what they do and they'll be picked apart by pundits. Even City and Liverpool in recent years who have been the best 2 teams will get properly criticised when they get beaten badly,

Sure they're an interesting watch, but call a spade a spade.
I’ll call a spade a spade, what a load of shite this post is.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Wow, with a player down against the soon title winners goes for the winner, never change the philosophy. Yet we are being reminded every day by others that we need to spend 500m to play attractive football.
Enjoy the result and change the fecking record. FFS. Some of you can’t enjoy anything without having a little whinge. Probably bring up how unhappy you are with Ole while getting the leg over with the missus :rolleyes:

R'hllor

Said it in other thread, its kinda funny to see people in here shitting on them and how they play football this season, guess they cant wait for new Stoke to pop.

AgentSmith

Enjoy the result and change the fecking record. FFS. Some of you can’t enjoy anything without having a little whinge. Probably bring up how unhappy you are with Ole while getting the leg over with the missus :rolleyes:
No patterns of foreplay.

Sweet Square

We beat City away 2-0 and beat Leeds 6-2 at home. :houllier:

nuanced

loves geopolitical narrative
Said it in other thread, its kinda funny to see people in here shitting on them and how they play football this season, guess they cant wait for new Stoke to pop.
It's because of the cognitive dissonance when you realize that you don't need to spend half a billion in transfers and buy world class player in each position to play exciting football with a never say die spirit. Anytime Leeds perform below their usual levels (or their inflated expectations), people see it as a chance to redeem themselves with potshots.

Dr. StrangeHate

Surely a top club has to give him a go now. He should be in contention for manager of the season too; although Pep has that sealed and probably Moyes is in a better position too.

Ludens the Red

It's because of the cognitive dissonance when you realize that you don't need to spend half a billion in transfers and buy world class player in each position to play exciting football with a never say die spirit. Anytime Leeds perform below their usual levels (or their inflated expectations), people see it as a chance to redeem themselves with potshots.
Aye , you see it with Leicester on here too.
I’m hardly the biggest Leeds fan and you can’t help but occasionally roll your eyes at the ott plaudits they’ve received this season but at the same time I don’t know how you can criticise them in general considering where they were before Bielsa took over. Their way got them up as Champions, their way has them top half whilst West Brom and Fulham prepare for another year in the championship.

Abe144

Supports
CD Guadalajara
Is there a better conditioned side in the premier league? They dont stop running

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I’ll call a spade a spade, what a load of shite this post is.
That post was made a few weeks after we spanked them 6-2. Maybe they've improved defensively since then but you've gone back months to find a post that was true at the time and now you're debating it because they had a good result today 4 months later.

Pagh Wraith

That post was made a few weeks after we spanked them 6-2. Maybe they've improved defensively since then but you've gone back months to find a post that was true at the time and now you're debating it because they had a good result today 4 months later.
No, he's absolutely right to call that out. The whole point was that their style will see them concede six against good teams occasionally but will yield them a lot more favourable scorelines and most importantly a higher points expectation than playing for low scorelines as an underdog. A bizarre criticism of a team on a mid-Championship budget. Still fully expect to see this thread bumped after their next heavy defeat though.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Seems like they’ve learned a few lessons since coming into the league. They were much more compact than when they played us, even before going down to ten men.

They are 9th on a shoestring budget and a Championship squad, and they are entertaining, they have added an incredible amount to this league, more than any other newcomer I can remember. Only 5 teams in the entire league have won more matches than them so far this season.
It has feck all to do with one result, they deserve lots of plaudits. Your post was shit then and it’s shit now, just calling a spade a spade.

Last edited:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
They are 9th on a shoestring budget and a Championship squad, and they are entertaining, they have added an incredible amount to this league, more than any other newcomer I can remember. Only 5 teams in the entire league have won more matches than them so far this season.
It has feck all to do with one result, they deserve lots of plaudits. Your post was shit then and it’s shit now, just calling a spade a spade.
Well if you want to get so defensive of one of United's biggest rivals go ahead but I'm not going to join the Leeds circle Jerk while their faults are ignored.

Some of you lot won't even put in a defence line this when our players start playing well again.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Looking very good for 50 + points now and certain top 10 finish, perhaps even top 8.

Said it before but for those who were questioning their approach around xmas there's no way they'd get close to 50 + points playing in style of Burnley or Newcastle.

Not like their record v top teams is even that bad, 4 points off Man. City and recently drew at home with Chelsea. Can see them winning at least one of the home games they've got left v Liverpool, Spurs and Man. United.

The Man. United game in December when many were laying in (not just Man. United fans) was a bit of a freak in that they were 2 down from the first two attacks of the game in 4 minutes and that almost never happens. I know they also lost to Spurs and Chelsea around that period but again it's not really a shock a promoted team losing away to those teams.

Bielsa makes it all work though so intrigued who Leeds go for when he decides he's done all he can and walks away.

Exactly three years before his two goals allowed Leeds to become only the second team from 29 opponents to both prevent City winning and beat them, Stuart Dallas completed the full 90 minutes in a 3-1 defeat at Preston.

The loss was towards the end of a terrible run of four wins in their final 22 league matches under first Thomas Christiansen and then Paul Heckingbottom as Leeds finished 13th in the Championship.

Five regulars from that sorry period in Leeds' history also started against Manchester City. In addition to Dallas, Ezgjan Alioski, who created the winner, current England international Kalvin Phillips, plus defensive pair Luke Ayling and Liam Cooper, traverse the gap between then and now, with Leeds sitting in the top half of the Premier League after a season beyond their expectations.
Utterly insane, yet some still think they and Biesla have been overly praised, nuts.

Lee565

As much as you want to hate the club, they would be exciting to watch if they were in the champions league.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
'See, that's the kind of penetration United are missing under Ole.'

(yes, I know it's from last week)

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
It's weird but I'm far more disappointed in how we played this game than the one we got stuffed in. Proper shite to watch.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Leeds were always going to be defensive today. As idealistic as Bielsa is he'll get some satisfaction from the clean sheet today after all the stick he got after the 6-2 (which was just a freak game with the two goals in first 3 minutes).

5 points from 3 games from Man. City, Liverpool and Man. United so ticking along nicely.

city-puma

It's weird but I'm far more disappointed in how we played this game than the one we got stuffed in. Proper shite to watch.
I enjoyed the game. Very competitive and you can see how much efforts and adjustment Leeds did to neutralize our attack. I think Bielsa was wise to make that adjustment even though it sacrificed some in term of your usual playing style. I guess he wanna build something in the team by getting positive from the games against the top teams.

always_hoping

Leeds were always going to be defensive today. As idealistic as Bielsa is he'll get some satisfaction from the clean sheet today after all the stick he got after the 6-2 (which was just a freak game with the two goals in first 3 minutes).

5 points from 3 games from Man. City, Liverpool and Man. United so ticking along nicely.
Bielsa probably had plans for a defensive gameplan for this game for some time however his choice to use man markers, tactical fouling and to stop any momentum Man United might try to build up was like he was influenced by what Granada did in the 1st leg of the Quarter Final against Man United.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Ayling is a fecking prick who should have been sent off for how he spoke to the linesman. He acts like a proper knobhead.

Ludens the Red

Surpassed Sheffield United’s points tally last season.

The wankers have had a great season to be fair. Think I’ve been more impressed with them in the second half of the season. They’ve become solid at the back and have ground out a few wins in a lot of tricky looking games.
Llorente and Raphinha look really good signings.
If they back Bielsa again could easily be in the mix for European places next season.

It’s also going to be really funny when they finish above Arsenal and Arteta keeps getting excused with his “shit squad” and “no signings”.

Drifter

American
They have certainly (after a roller coaster start) found themselves in the PL. Think they will kick on next season and get stronger.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Surpassed Sheffield United’s points tally last season.

The wankers have had a great season to be fair. Think I’ve been more impressed with them in the second half of the season. They’ve become solid at the back and have ground out a few wins in a lot of tricky looking games.
Llorente and Raphinha look really good signings.
If they back Bielsa again could easily be in the mix for European places next season.

It’s also going to be really funny when they finish above Arsenal and Arteta keeps getting excused with his “shit squad” and “no signings”.
I was thinking about the Sheffield comparison. They had a huge drop-off towards the end of the year - which may or may not have been caused by the COVID-19 break, but clearly that final form is what they brought into this season. Leeds, however, are finishing very strongly, and they may actually be more consistent in their results now than they used to be. So yeah, as long as they don't lose too many key players, it's looking likely that they'll be able to continue this level of performance next season.

padzilla

Hipster
If they get the recruitment right there is no reason why cant go on like Leicester.