Leeds (dirty thugs) discussion

ray24

Supports
Arsenal
I think someone earlier in the thread summed him up. He's an excellent coach, but poor/average manager. It's why he did so well at Bilbao because they have a limited pool of players because of the Basque only rule.

I think he'll do enough to keep them up this season, but the problems will come when they need to invest and build a squad for the future. Do you trust him to do it? Or if you get someone else (like a sporting director) will he eventually fall out with them?
He's working with a DOF at Leeds.

lysglimt

Scout
I think someone earlier in the thread summed him up. He's an excellent coach, but poor/average manager. It's why he did so well at Bilbao because they have a limited pool of players because of the Basque only rule.

I think he'll do enough to keep them up this season, but the problems will come when they need to invest and build a squad for the future. Do you trust him to do it? Or if you get someone else (like a sporting director) will he eventually fall out with them?
He did well at Bilbao ? Seriously ?

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I think they'll be like Swansea when they were promoted 9 years ago in that they'll play some nice football and stay up comfortably. 50 points is certainly a realistic target for them.

Just curious what you mean by 'solid structure'? This Leeds team seems pretty solid; they've been playing like this all along under Bieksa, haven't they? Or are you talking about their defence?
Defense. Sheffield United and Wolves don't press or play as high a line so they're much less likely to get exposed than Leeds and it allowed them to grind out a lot of 1-0 wins their first seasons back. Leeds were excellent defensively in the Championship last season, but in the PL their defenders won't be more talented than most forward lines.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Didn't the fans protest?
Missed that part. That crest was a good match to Leeds style: “no brain, only heart“ which is perfect for EPL. They will do well. Actually, Championship functions pretty well as a preparation stage for top flight In terms of physique and tactics.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Defense. Sheffield United and Wolves don't press or play as high a line so they're much less likely to get exposed than Leeds and it allowed them to grind out a lot of 1-0 wins their first seasons back. Leeds were excellent defensively in the Championship last season, but in the PL their defenders won't be more talented than most forward lines.
Maybe, yeah; but a lot of lower-level EPL can't deal with a high press very well while they won't necessarily play super defensive against a team that only just came up, so it might also help Leeds bulldoze through some matches that otherwise would have ended in draws or narrow loses. You gain some, you lose some. Anyway, we'll have to see how it works out in practice, I guess.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Some of their direct combinations were breathtaking yesterday. No circulating the ball at the back to calm things, down, direct passes into midfield and one-touch moves to go forward. Not even City play like that.

dev1l

Guided them to the europa league final and Copa Del Rey final in same season.
I remember us during Fergie being outplayed by his Bilbao side then featuring Herrera, Munain, Javi Martinez etc

lysglimt

Scout
Guided them to the europa league final and Copa Del Rey final in same season.
Oh yes - 2011/2012 - he finished them to 10th place in La Liga - with 49 points in 38 matches

And he even got worse the season after - with a brilliant 12th place - 45 points in 38 matches and the incredible -21 goal difference including the following results:

3-5 v Betis
0-4 v Atletico M
1-5 v Real Madrid
1-5 v Barcelona
0-4 v Espanyol
'
The season before Bielsa they ended 7th, the season after Bielsa they ended 4th

So brilliant is perhaps stretching it VERY far

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Oh yes - 2011/2012 - he finished them to 10th place in La Liga - with 49 points in 38 matches

And he even got worse the season after - with a brilliant 12th place - 45 points in 38 matches and the incredible -21 goal difference including the following results:

3-5 v Betis
0-4 v Atletico M
1-5 v Real Madrid
1-5 v Barcelona
0-4 v Espanyol
'
The season before Bielsa they ended 7th, the season after Bielsa they ended 4th

So brilliant is perhaps stretching it VERY far
Yeah I couldn't remember where they finished in La Liga that year but guessed it wasn't that high due to the cup runs. Sometimes you have to settle for that trade off if you don't have a big squad, just mentioned in the other thread Mourinho guided a good Man. United squad to 6th but it was quickly forgotten as he won league cup and europa.

Bilbao have never won a european trophy and last won the cup in 1984 so he got them two results away from heights they hadn't reached in a very long time, shame for them it was Atletico Madrid right at the start of Simeone era and peak Barcelona under Guardiola they had to face.

Edit: Didn't realise he spent a second season at Bilbao, thought it was just one year and out as tends to be his style but that's probably an example of his managerial style wearing out after a while.

Abe144

Supports
CD Guadalajara
I remember us during Fergie being outplayed by his Bilbao side then featuring Herrera, Munain, Javi Martinez etc
That was a comprehensive beat down. Bilbao could've scored 10 in the return leg

IFC 1905

Have lots of faith in this Leeds team. People talk about the defense, but Koch has not more than a week in the team, he needs to settle, and I think he did well vs Liverpool already. Cooper got injured and Struijk wasn't good enough but he's also settling in that position if I'm correct, he used to play as a def midfielder. What they really need is someone to replace Pablo Hernandez and De Paul would be magnificent for that.

To me they can reach top 10. Once Rodrigo also fits into the system he will give a massive improvement to their attack. They'll be fun to watch.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
They can make 41 points minimum, surely good enough to stay. Sometimes they will destroy stronger teams and others will be humiliated by the weakest teams in the League. They will be fun to watch, and some players will keep being improved under him. Of course in the long term you don’t expect Bielsa to win big titles, but there’s always a segment of the public who wants to be entertained.

And on that matter he is one of the best around. Exotic, but good for a alternative brand of football. In the 90”s you had Zdenek Zeman in Série A who had this type of concept, his Foggia team was a cult for hipsters, when he went to Lazio and Roma they played great football but didn’t won nothing, reason why those clubs went for Sven and Cappello to actually win titles.

I like Bielsa as I liked Zeman, but there’s more than one way to play football, I don’t like those who say only if you win titles you are great but also don’t accept this concept of you’re only good if you play offensive football, even if your teams are terrible defensively. I remember a couple of years ago everyone was praising Paco Jemez because possession football and all that, but his teams were terrible from a defensive point of view. You can be defensive and exceptional or offensive and terrible. And vice versa.

Last edited:

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Is it too early to suggest that teams have worked out how to play against Bielsas Leeds?
Liverpool should have had double figures and Hull should have had four last night,
Granted I'm sure people will say it was Liverpool, and they played the kids last night, but the fact remains in the two games they have played so far both opposition teams pressed Leeds high and never let them settle, leading to chances galore.
That didn't happen much last year, most teams were happy to sit back and counter them.

Danny Roberts

Is it too early to suggest that teams have worked out how to play against Bielsas Leeds?
Liverpool should have had double figures and Hull should have had four last night,
Granted I'm sure people will say it was Liverpool, and they played the kids last night, but the fact remains in the two games they have played so far both opposition teams pressed Leeds high and never let them settle, leading to chances galore.
That didn't happen much last year, most teams were happy to sit back and counter them.
Nope, it's not fair.

Last night they made 11 changes and gave a few debuts and had lots of very young players.

Don't think Liverpool should have had double figures and Liverpool can do that to anyone anyway. Leeds had a great defense last term and that was despite at times using a dodgy keeper and at others using a kid.

Champ

Nope, it's not fair.

Last night they made 11 changes and gave a few debuts and had lots of very young players.

Don't think Liverpool should have had double figures and Liverpool can do that to anyone anyway. Leeds had a great defense last term and that was despite at times using a dodgy keeper and at others using a kid.
Well, that defence looked extremely leaky against Liverpool, and yes they were young but last night looked even worse.
Liverpool had chances galore against Leeds, as did Hull last night, that's fair to say.
Leeds were not tested last season like they have been these last two games.
Can't wait to see them against City...

Danny Roberts

Well, that defence looked extremely leaky against Liverpool, and yes they were young but last night looked even worse.
Liverpool had chances galore against Leeds, as did Hull last night, that's fair to say.
Imagine how shaky Liverpool, would have looked with their captain and chief centre back missing and a pairing at the back of a young new signing with one week at the club, alongside a youngster who had never played centre back for the club. Time will tell how they do (I think 12th) but no way have Leeds been "found out".

Champ

Imagine how shaky Liverpool, would have looked with their captain and chief centre back missing and a pairing at the back of a young new signing with one week at the club, alongside a youngster who had never played centre back for the club. Time will tell how they do (I think 12th) but no way have Leeds been "found out".
Should have had enough against Hull, even with that team. Only two shots in target, only three against Liverpool, gifting chances to the opposition, that's not down to personnel, that's down to teams tactically out manoeuvring them.

I'd imagine they'll get a comfortable victory against Fulham as Parker doesn't change his tactics at all so will play into Bielsas hands.
But Sheffield and City will be the acid test for them.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
In the grand scheme of things, I don't think Bielsa will give a shit that Leeds are out of the Carabao Cup.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
And quite right so. Chasing differen cups just dillutes the real goal: staying in the PL.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Leeds big problem last year was they dominated pretty much every championship game but think they only had 12 games when they scored more than one goal (might be a bit higher but considering they won the league comfortably in the end it wasn't that many games). They missed so many chances with Bamford a big culprit.

At prem level they need to be far more clinical so I'd say it's a good thing for them they pretty much had 3 chances at Liverpool and scored all of them.

ray24

Supports
Arsenal
Leeds big problem last year was they dominated pretty much every championship game but think they only had 12 games when they scored more than one goal (might be a bit higher but considering they won the league comfortably in the end it wasn't that many games). They missed so many chances with Bamford a big culprit.

At prem level they need to be far more clinical so I'd say it's a good thing for them they pretty much had 3 chances at Liverpool and scored all of them.
I think the plan is to ensure other players will be able to score the goal. Bamford's role is similar to Firmino in some regards, who is more responsible for playing others into goal scoring position than taking all the goal-scoring chances.

It's something that most front-pressing sides do, in which they sacrifice the CF's lethality in favour of link-up plays. Guardiola does the same with his strikers, and Spurs did the same ( with the exception of Kane being such a good CF that he can huff and puff but still score goals).

ray24

Supports
Arsenal
Leeds is a joy to watch once again. Certainly much more fun than watching Man Utd's attack.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
They're good to watch but that ought to have been a comfortable win not an afternoon of squeaky bum time.

RoyH1

Leeds is the official bring out the popcorn team this season. Not one of their games will be boring this season.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Signing Diego Llorente, really good buy that.

Was a regular for Real Sociedad at CB last season but then got injured and others did well in his absence and 20m + is too much to turn down for someone who's contract is running down.

Murray3007

think they have been superb so far, a joy to watch (never thought I would right that about Leeds) if can cut out the stupid goals from set pieces they can really be pushing for top half of the league this season, actually a bit scared of what they might do to this united defence and midfield, the amount of times they flood the box when attacking is excellent, be interesting to see how much of the season they can keep it going for.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Just finished watching Leeds United take Us home - Series 2 on Amazon. Had already watched season 1.

Bielsa deserves so much credit, as does his board. I was bit jealous at the unity between board, manager, players and fans: all want exactly the same thing, so they can win or lose but always together. That unity will be enough to keep them out of trouble this season. In fact, once they work out how to tighten tuber defence, they will be more than fine and could even sneak a top 10 place.

The club doesn't possess any of the nasty David Batty type characteristics anymore. I've watched both their games this season (and have intention to watch more), they are so fun to watch, and because of that, you want them to do well.

It's a great story on how a club can fix itself and fulfil its potential solely by being united. Our club is so far away from being United, its a sick joke.

rollingstoned1

Just finished watching Leeds United take Us home - Series 2 on Amazon. Had already watched season 1.

Bielsa deserves so much credit, as does his board. I was bit jealous at the unity between board, manager, players and fans: all want exactly the same thing, so they can win or lose but always together. That unity will be enough to keep them out of trouble this season. In fact, once they work out how to tighten tuber defence, they will be more than fine and could even sneak a top 10 place.

The club doesn't possess any of the nasty David Batty type characteristics anymore. I've watched both their games this season (and have intention to watch more), they are so fun to watch, and because of that, you want them to do well.

It's a great story on how a club can fix itself and fulfil its potential solely by being united. Our club is so far away from being United, its a sick joke.
watching this right now and i'm only halfway through s1 but i agree. leeds are our bitter rivals i know but it would be nice if the man actually took them where he wants to take them, i find them similar to us as a club and can understand What fergie might have gone through in the 80s. Bielsa is a very different kind of coach though.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
They are absolutely excellent to watch. You can see how well coached they are in everything they do. Same way Atletico Bilbao were when Bielsa was there. They may fade a little as the season goes on but I think they will be in a healthy position at Christmas.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Rivalry aside it's great to see newly promoted teams not go for the "park 10 men behind the ball and hope for a lucky goal" approach. Higher risk but the former teams get relegated all the time so why not go for it? And to add, Bielsa looks like he knows what he is doing, the team plays so well.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
they’ll comfortably stay up, they are one of the best promoted teams in recent years. Rivals or not the disrespect people are showing Bielsa is a joke.

RashyForPM

Don’t know where they finished but I’m confident Leeds will finish around 10th this season.
9th, so not better then as the league’s general quality hasn’t improved.

Tbf though, Leeds will do well this season. Bielsa is one of them managers who could get anyone to do well. I mean, Bamford has 3 in 3!

Lost bear

Yes, Bilbao were excellent in that classic game, under the guidance of Bielsa. One to remember. The manager struck me immediately as a contender for something great.