Kick-off
Sun, 20 February 2022 @ 2:00pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Lucky McLuckerson

The saviour of our season (ask Maradona10)
    ...................VS.......................

Date: Sunday, February 20 2021
    Kickoff Time: 1400 Hrs GMT
    Venue: Elland Road, Leeds

League standings and form guide

4. Manchester United: WWDDW
    15. Leeds United: WWLDL

Previous League Meetings

Manchester United 5—1 Leeds United

Leeds United 0—0 Manchester United

Manchester United 6—2 Leeds United

Manchester United 1—1 Leeds United

Leeds United 0—1 Manchester United

All-Time League Record

Manchester United wins: 39
    Leeds United wins: 23
    Draws: 33

Pre-Match Pressers

Ole Gunnar Solskjær

Marcelo Bielsa

Team News

Manchester United

Nemanja Matić ruled out. Raphaël Varane, Edinson Cavani and Eric Bailly doubtful.

Leeds United

Patrick Bamford, Kalvin Phillips and Liam Cooper ruled out. Junior Firpo, Stuart Dallas and Charlie Cresswell doubtful.

Know the opposition

Leeds United Football Club (commonly known as just Leeds, and nicknamed The Whites and The Peacocks) is an English professional football club based in the city of Leeds, West Yorkshire. Leeds United's predecessor club, Leeds City F.C., was formed in 1904, but was forcibly disbanded by The Football League in 1919 in response to allegations of financial irregularities regarding illegal payments to players during the First World War.Shortly after the disbanding of Leeds City a new club, Leeds United, was formed on 17 October 1919, under the management of former player Dick Ray. They began playing in the Midland League, taking the place vacated by Leeds City's reserve team. Yorkshire Amateurs, who occupied Elland Road, offered to make way for the new team.

In March 1961, the club appointed former player Don Revie as manager, following the resignation of Jack Taylor. His stewardship began in adverse circumstances andonly a win in the final game of the season saved the club from relegation to Division Three. Revie implemented a youth policy and a change of kit color to an all-white strip in the style of Real Madrid, and Leeds won promotion to the First Division in 1963–64. Subsequently, however, they emerged as a major force in English football, winning 2 First Division titles, an FA Cup, a League Cup and a Inter-Cities Fairs Cup.

Their second noteworthy spell began in the late 80s with the appointment of Howard Wilkinson. In 1989, the signing of Gordon Strachan from Manchester United for £300,000 proved to be a turning point. The Scottish midfielder was named captain, and helped Leeds win the Second Division in 1989–90 and gain promotion back to the First Division. Under Wilkinson Leeds finished fourth in 1990–91, and in the 1991–92 season they won the title of the last Division 1 as top tier. Ironically, the sale of Eric Cantona to Manchester United proved to be a turning point for his new club in a reversal of fortunes, and Leeds never won a league title again through the Premier League era.

Leeds United have rivalries with several clubs, including local rivalries with Sheffield Wednesday, Sheffield United, Bradford City and Huddersfield Town, and national rivalries with Manchester United (arguably the strongest of them all), Chelsea and Millwall. Alex Ferguson spoke on the rivalry between Leeds United and Manchester United stating that playing against Leeds was a "frightening experience... I have always said Liverpool versus Manchester United games are fierce in many aspects. Sometimes supporters can play a bad part in that particular game. But it never reaches the levels of Leeds United. Never." Leeds play their home games at Elland Road.

Familiar Faces

Daniel James (2019—21)

Referee

Paul Tierney.​

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
    Leeds 2 -0 United

Dan James brace, including a situation where he makes Maguire look like a fool when he outpaces him.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
    Dan James vs Maguire will give the story of the snail and the rabbit a different ending. I don't think we will be playing a high line this game :lol:.

It seems we love playing leeds, so I expect a comfortable victory.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
    Ronaldo and Greenwood chant is going to be sung continuously. They have been practising this for few games now.

Hope we smash these scums

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
    It’s not corruption so much as poor planning and a disregard for teams’ physical health. They don’t give a shit enough to be corrupt.
    It's putting money ahead of fairness in a sporting competition. That's corruption to me whether deliberate or a by product of their incentives.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
    Think we will struggle, as usual, but hope that Ralf will rotate a bit. Don't know if Cavani will want to play this one, since the guy decides when he's ok.

What I would like to see :

---------------------------------------------------De Gea-------------------------------------------------------
    Wan Bissaka------------------Lindelof--------------Maguire------------------------------Telles
    --------------------------------------Pogba-----------------Matic/Fred-----------------------------------
    Elanga---------------------------------------Lingard-------------------------------------------Rashford
    --------------------------------------------------Cavani---------------------------------------------------------

With Bruno, Sancho and Ronaldo coming off the bench.

Dalot played last 8 games in a row, probably like Mc Tominay.
    Shaw maybe the last 4 or 5 games, like Sancho or Bruno.
    So good game to use the squad and rest some for the CL game.

BootsyCollins

Would like to see :
    -----------------DDG-------------
    AWB-Loffen-Harry-Telles
    -----------------Mct--------------
    --------Fred---------Pogba----
    --Elanga--Cavani--Rash--

Rest Bruno, Dalot, Sancho, Shaw for CL

Real Name

Let them come to us, play their open game and hit them on the counter. They tend to be naive in their approach so best is to make the best out of it.

Dolf

When VdB played well against them, alot of you said “it’s only Leeds, McFred can dominate them”.

Well let’s see then. Should be an easy win then right?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
    When VdB played well against them, alot of you said “it’s only Leeds, McFred can dominate them”.

Well let’s see then. Should be an easy win then right?
    Insane logic. We've put 11 past them in the past two seasons with McFred starting. McT even turned into peak Zidane in one of those games. If dominating Leeds is the barometer then McFred must be the best midfield in the world.

Donny fans are proper weird. Never seen this much chatter in match threads around a player who has failed to impress several managers. Now the guy isn't even at the club and they still find a way to make the match thread about him.

Hughes35

Think the way they play probably suits us. We might have a decent game of football.

Should be end to end so hopefully we take more chances than they do.

I'm not confident about ANY game at the moment.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
    We know how to play Leeds.

Cut out those stupid unforced wayward passes and we’ll be fine. But we’re so inconsistent these days.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
    Is this the first time we'll have played at a full Elland Road since that League Cup game in 11/12?

The 0-0 game last season was tepid, neither team looked bothered. I imagine the place will be rocking this time. Not at all confident, but then I also wasn't confident about Boro at home or bottom of the league Burnley away, so I probably never will be.

Giggsy13

I’m not concerned about the Scum. Start a strong team to guarantee the 3 points. 3-1 win.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
    The atmosphere will be full on. They've waited decades for this.

Hope our players show a bit of bottle as it will be poisonous from the moment they leave the hotel. Expect missiles at corners etc.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    Would rotate a few of the key guys out for Wednesday. Rest Bruno, Sancho, Ronaldo and Shaw.

Rashford Cavani Lingard
    Fred Pogba
    McTominay
    Telles Maguire Lindelof Dalot
    De Gea
    This way we can hopefully get Rashford in some form, Pogba should be fine to play on the weekend and midweek after being rested yesterday, Sancho, Shaw and Ronaldo to be fresh for Atletico. Varane whenever he's fine to play obviously come back in.

Dazzmondo

Expecting a couple changes for CL game. Keep 4-2-3-1 imo. Bruno-Ronaldo linkup (and Pogba) looked most comfortable once Bruno pushed up. I think Bruno works well in the 4-3-3 but at the expense of Ronaldo. I think Ronaldo suits 4-2-2-2 relatively well at the expense of Bruno (and the team as a whole). 4-2-3-1 is the best compromise imo. Hoping to see a full 90 mins performance. Leeds are muck, we should destroy them tbh. Would like to keep a clean sheet again and think that would do the team's confidence the world of good. I'll predict 4-0, finally make back some of our XG.

De Gea

AWB Lindelof Maguire Telles

McTominay Pogba

Elanga Bruno Sancho

Cavani

Ollie Derbyshire

I’ll be in New York for this one, anyone know of any good places to go watch it with a family?

slored1

De Gea
    Dalot - Lindelöf - Maguire - Shaw
    Fred - Pogba
    Sancho - Bruno - Elanga
    Ronaldo

1-3 Man United.

Dolf

Insane logic. We've put 11 past them in the past two seasons with McFred starting. McT even turned into peak Zidane in one of those games. If dominating Leeds is the barometer then McFred must be the best midfield in the world.

Donny fans are proper weird. Never seen this much chatter in match threads around a player who has failed to impress several managers. Now the guy isn't even at the club and they still find a way to make the match thread about him.
    I’m not even a donny fan. And i’m not the one setting those standards. The people downplaying a good DvB performance are.

I agree that it’s a strange way of comparing but that’s what I read in the DvB thread.
    Apparently we can’t applaud a good performance because “it’s only Leeds”.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
    I'd like to see Cavani start but not going to predict the result

Dolf

Who says that
    Going a bit offtopic now so apologies.
    But check the DvB thread. He had a good performance against Leeds and then the pessimists came in and said things like “it’s only Leeds, Mcfred can dominate them so this means nothing”

Todd

--------------------------Ronaldo--------------------------
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Sancho---------------Bruno------------------Elanga
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------Pogba-------Fred-----------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Telles------------------------------------------------Dalot
    -----------------Lindelof----Varane---------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------De Gea-----------------------------

Smash them early so a few guys can be rested for Tuesday

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
    However we do it we need to beat Leeds and Watford. If we do that then we will still be in with a good chance of top 4 even if we lose at Anfield and the Etihad which is likely given we can't run for longer than 35 mins.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

6.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 331 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leeds United win
  • Draw