Leicester City 19/20

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by charlenefan, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Nov 4, 2019

Adnan Full Member

Exciting times for Leicester City.

2. Nov 4, 2019

LARulz Full Member

You would say that now but not at the start of the season. They play with a system and do it well
  3. Nov 4, 2019

Andersonson New Member

People seem to think this Leicester team is a surprise. I had them as a challenger for top 4 before the season started.

If you look at it

GK: De Gea is better than Schmeichel. But Schmeichel is a top keeper.

RB: Ricardo is slighty better than AWB on general, but AWB has alot of potential.
    LB: Chilwell is better than Shaw and Young
    CB: Evans is better than Lindelof
    CB: Maguire is better than Soyüncü

MID: Pogba is better than Tielsemans
    MID: Ndidi is better than Scott/Matic.
    MID: Maddison is better than
    Andreas/Lingard/Mata

W: Rashford is better than Barnes
    W: James is better than Perez
    S: Vardy is better than Martial

Not surprised Leicester is better than us, they have a better midfield and a better striker and better fullbacks.

We have some exciting players that develops nicely though, like McTominay.
  4. Nov 4, 2019

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

Correct.
  5. Nov 4, 2019

kouroux 45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

You can also add, the much better manager
  6. Nov 4, 2019

Needham Full Member

If Moyes took over today he'd say Leicester are what we aspire to be.
  7. Nov 4, 2019

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

And the manager makes those head to heads go their way.

IMO we have a better team/squad. But our manager is miles behind theirs. That he made some ridiculous decisions in terms of sales makes the comparison look worse, let alone the difference in player development. Without those sales, the gap would be been bigger in favour - however theyd still be breezing away from us in the league as the manager more influential than players.
  8. Nov 4, 2019

Needham Full Member

Really hope Leicester establish themselves and kick on.
    A. It'll be good to have a leading team outside of the northwest/London.
    B. Great to see them making winning the PL mean something long term.
  9. Nov 4, 2019

Jim Beam The Joker

Can you play in midfield?
  10. Nov 4, 2019

Alabaster Codify7 Full Member

I had Leicester down as a top 6 guarantee and possibly finishing above us.

I now think they'll finish 3rd and around 15-20pts ahead of us. Quality manager + tidy squad + strong system/tactics = success.

We have none of those things. Tidy squad is a stretch for us but I'd accept that, but neither of the other two points.
  11. Nov 5, 2019

foxedup New Member

Supports:
    Leicester
    That’s down to people not knowing much about our players though isn’t it. There is a good reason I and others on here in the summer suggested the club (and fans) see this season as a great chance to get into the top 4. Because we knew there was huge potential in these players and we’d seen it building.
  12. Nov 5, 2019

foxedup New Member

Supports:
    Leicester
    It’s our long term aim, but the owners are very realistic in how to go about it. It’s going to be natural growth (see new training facility opening in the summer), we then move onto a ground expansion.

That sort of growth could take decades, we are ahead of the curve in terms of the team. But I’m sure we’ll continue with the same blueprint until the off the field stuff and the onfield stuff hopefully meet up at some point down the line to put us in a position to be a serious contender.
  13. Nov 5, 2019

Shipperley Full Member

Supports:
    CPFC
    Very, very impressed with Soyuncu on Sunday. Normally when Maguire played we knew we’d get a chance or two on the break but Soyuncu was immense and absolutely rapid. Hate to say it but I’d have him above Maguire as well.
  14. Nov 5, 2019

foxedup New Member

Supports:
    Leicester
    He’s been brilliant, I know a lot of united fans think we are just saying it when we say he’s an upgrade. But he really feels like that so far.

But...

To be fair to Harry though, he was tasked with bringing the ball out a lot last season before Tielemans signed. Which disrupted our defensive line and got him caught out of position. In this setup he wouldn’t make half the mistakes he did, because he could concentrate on his defending more.
  15. Nov 5, 2019

Shipperley Full Member

Supports:
    CPFC
    That pace makes all the difference though, he was just as commanding in the air but the way he ate up the yards on Ayew (who is no slouch) when he got played through had me looking at my Dad like ‘OK, how are we getting past this guy then?’. As it transpired we weren’t.:D

Very impressed with Leicester on the day, it was a tough game but you could see the extra quality in the way you moved the ball. It should give every club at our level hope that it is possible to move your best players on and rebuild with an excellent recruitment strategy focused on young, technical players. I hope we go the same way.
  16. Nov 5, 2019

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    What I could never understand is for first half of last season you were still playing Wes Morgan instead of Johnny Evans (Soyncu was still settling in). Morgan obviously been a brilliant servant but he's way past it now as a regular prem start and you had to play your backline much deeper.

Claude Puel isn't a bad manager but it's clear he was just the wrong fit for Leicester and possibly held them back six months with some strange team calls like trying to move Vardy out of the 11 and playing that Ghezzal guy all the time who was pretty poor.
  17. Nov 5, 2019

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

Bingo
  18. Nov 5, 2019

foxedup New Member

Supports:
    Leicester
    Except our league position, defensive record and his performances are there for all to see.
  19. Nov 5, 2019

foxedup New Member

Supports:
    Leicester
    Puel was already trying to get rid of huge numbers older players. It was causing issues and Wes was captain and very well liked.

Personally I think the decision was based on trying not to have even more turn against him at that moment and for him to be replaced slowly.

Puel did a lot of dirty work, set us on the way to our current style and trusted young players. He was just woeful at man management and could never really get it to click.
  20. Nov 5, 2019

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

And that's all because Maguire's no longer there, he alone was obviously holding you back. Makes quite the mockery of the saltiness so many of your displayed throughout the summer doesn't it
  21. Nov 5, 2019

Fussball13251 New Member

Leicester have been a well run club for a few years now. Under Ferguson, Pep, Klopp, Mourinho they would challenge for top 4 easily. Remember they won the league not too long ago.

Puel wasn't good enough.

Rodgers isn't daft he knew he could do something at Leicester. He wouldn't have left Celtic for Watford, for example.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2019
  22. Nov 5, 2019

Luke1995 Full Member

That growth should have started right after the 15/16 title win. Not sure why it has taken this long.
  23. Nov 5, 2019

Gringo New Member

Supports:
    Portugal
    When they turned up at the Etihad at the end of last season that was when you knew they were the real deal.
  24. Nov 6, 2019

foxedup New Member

Supports:
    Leicester
    You see, again you mistook us saying he's decent but £80m is laughable as saltiness when infact... it was the truth. Our defence never improved with him in it I'm afraid, I liked Harry and didn't want to lose him. But that was because I didn't like the thought of trying to replace him and had no idea Soyuncu would step up. But we are defensively far more sound without him in it. Soyuncu's extra pace and him not going walk about up field have solved issues. I'm sorry you don't like hearing that, but nothing else has changed around that position.
  25. Nov 6, 2019

foxedup New Member

Supports:
    Leicester
    It did start, you can't just buy land and chuck up an £100m training facility over night. On top of that we had an ageing squad that needed a total overhaul.

We've done exceptionally well to be in this position all things considered.
  26. Nov 7, 2019 at 22:40

Fussball13251 New Member

I expect Leicester to beat Arsenal because Leicester are at home. The game away to Brighton is iffy.... maybe a draw.
  27. Nov 9, 2019 at 21:28

croadyman New Member

Have to say I was impressed by Barnes tonight,hope Southgate decides to have a look at him before the euros next summer.
  28. Nov 9, 2019 at 21:58

Jimmy Skitz Full Member

Supports:
    Leicester City
    he isn't ready for that yet
  29. Nov 9, 2019 at 22:03

SportingCP96 Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Can anyone compare there points total so far this season through the same amount of games in their title winning season? I am curious
  30. Nov 9, 2019 at 22:05

Jimmy Skitz Full Member

Supports:
    Leicester City
    we are ahead of the 2015/16 total at the same stage by 2 or 3 points
  31. Nov 9, 2019 at 22:06

Schmeichel's Cartwheel Full Member

They are actually doing better now by about 3 points or something.
  32. Nov 9, 2019 at 22:31

SportingCP96 Full Member

Supports:
  33. Nov 9, 2019 at 23:12

Chipper Full Member

1 point better off.

If you go here, change the season to 2015/16 and filter matchweek to 12 you should see:
    [​IMG]

There's also this site which is useful.
  34. Nov 9, 2019 at 23:25

SportingCP96 Full Member

Supports:
    Appreciate it mate! Actually just saw the highlights and the Vardy goal was a beautiful piece of football. Rodgers doing a great job so far.
  35. Nov 10, 2019 at 00:08

Fussball13251 New Member

I missed the game. Thought Leicester would win 3:1. Still won. I think everybody expected Leicester to win anyways. Leicester won't lose much at home.
  36. Nov 10, 2019 at 09:16

slored1 New Member

They are a stunning and exciting team to watch. Their midfield and defense are up there with the best in the league, and Vardy is still same old goalmachine. For me one of the best teams in Europe right now.
  37. Nov 10, 2019 at 09:22

LARulz Full Member

How amazing would it would it be if Brendan won it with Leicester, pipping Liverpool to the title :lol:

Can only dream
  38. Nov 10, 2019 at 09:25

Di Maria's angel Captain of Moanchester United

So, wait. Did Leicester win or not?
  39. Nov 10, 2019 at 10:54

AkaAkuma Full Member

Maddison, Tielemans, Perreira, Soyuncu & Evans were all signed in the last year. It's not unfeesible United can't do the same in a short time frame.
  40. Nov 10, 2019 at 12:03

Litch Full Member

The thing that's missing with these type of comparisons is context. I think that's why you could change the shirts of both teams as they are and you'd potentially see completely different outcomes. I think we have seen this with Harry, the weight of expectation makes a massive difference in the freedom to get results. Leicester can dine out on winning the league for the next lifetime. Better is subjective and the only comparisons in regard to context of performances and winning is a handful of teams in the world and that's why it's not a level Plainfield........