Leicester City 19/20

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC
The problem with Man City is they have lost Kompany, put Fernandinho in a less effective position and on top of that he is also 34.

This has left Man City more vulnerable and this combined with teams starting to work Pep out has left them unable to keep at the level they were at last season and before.

Despite this many had them and may even still have them as the most likely challenger purely on the size of the Pep name and the Man City name.

I think its Liverpool's title purely based on that they are now an incredibly consistent team, all wins and one draw this season, just 2 dropped points out of 48, that's incredible. To have any chance I think we would need to beat both Man City and Liverpool this month, and maintain our goal advantage to wipe out another point. But the problem is I cannot see us going through the rest of the season losing less than 2 games, and also Liverpool losing at least 4-5 which is what would be needed. Our side doesn't yet have the confidence to play at their best against the top performing teams. We are where we are because Rodgers has made us ruthlessly efficient against the bottom 14 (excluding Manchester Utd).

However I accept we not completely out of it and should definitly be considered the prime challenger, but I do think it would be a miracle if we win it, more so than in 2016 where we always were more favourably placed.

Inter Yer Nan

That absurd penalty decision at the end of the Liverpool-Leicester game is looking very important. With 5 points difference and Liverpool going to Leicester this month it could have been interesting.

GGT

That absurd penalty decision at the end of the Liverpool-Leicester game is looking very important. With 5 points difference and Liverpool going to Leicester this month it could have been interesting.
maybe early, but we play Leicester last match. if our top 4 status is already decided, and Leicester need a win for Champion, would we want to lose?

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
City v Leicester game is a tough one for Utd fans, a draw is a loss for both teams. So who do Utd fans root for? City as they are the only team to get near to 90+ points or Leicester who are currently closer to us? The loser of this game will effectively be ruled out of the race, right?
We ain't catching you unless you nosedive Kursk style. Top 6 was the objective at the start of the season, top 4 is now realistic. We'll see where we stand after playing Man City.

Can't wait for that game, it should be entertaining.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Rodgers has done a spectacular job so far. They were a dark horse for breaking into the the top 6 and have emerged as the only rival left in the title race close to the halfway point. Any other year but this and 2017/2018, they'd be running it close for top spot (they have 3 points more than mourinhos United did at this stage when they finished second).

foxedup

Supports
Leicester
I think they'll be able to convince the owners that even at huge prices, its not worth selling their best players now when they are still in the title picture. They obviously need their best players. In the summer they'll have time to find replacements if big money is on offer
Who would need to convince the owners? It’s them that are the ones who are feckers to deal with and won’t let people out of the club easily.

They want success and not money, the amount on offer and the team offering it doesn’t matter in January, they wouldn’t consider anything. They do not and will not sell in January.

If a Real or Barca come knocking in the summer, what can you do. But they don’t often shop at clubs like Leicester thankfully.

foxedup

Supports
Leicester
That's impossible for me to answer because we have no significant data on Phil Jones attempting shots. Which also means the likes of him are not very well represented in the dataset because central defenders don't get into these positions very often. Intuitively I'd say that he will score that same chance much less often because well, it's Phil Jones. But the xG model has shown that finishing ability is not nearly as important as people think. We don't have to look any further than Lewandowski who I have already mentioned and is recognised by everyone as one of the best in the world. Yet he has scored slightly less than expected in the last five years (though this season's run is turning this around). The stat is incredibly accurate. The notion that Vardy puts that chance away 100% of the time, and Chilwell only 20% is outlandish and not based in reality. Penalties only have an xG of 0.76 for starters.

The guy who runs xgstats has manually watched and recorded every single shot taken in the Premier League, Championship, League One and Two this season (that's close to 20000 shots!) and assigned it an expectation. His aggregated sum of all shots is 1568 xG. Actual goals scored: 1562. That's quite amazing.
So someone watched 1562 goals scored and said that xg was 1568. Amazing, I wonder how someone watching a recorded goal could possibly guess that shot could result in a goal. Nostradamus level stuff.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Rodgers has done a spectacular job so far. They were a dark horse for breaking into the the top 6 and have emerged as the only rival left in the title race close to the halfway point. Any other year but this and 2017/2018, they'd be running it close for top spot (they have 3 points more than mourinhos United did at this stage when they finished second).
I would say they'd be a few seasons (ironically 15/16 being one) where this Leicester side would be nailed on favroites.

I do think Pep's 17/18 season has started a bit of a movement in this league in terms of sheer consistency at the top, gone are the days of Fergie pacing pre season because early slip ups weren't that big an issue. Klopp realised he needed to match the consistency City built to challenge (I personally believe that was the main reason he went back on his promise not to spend big) potentially Brendan has done the same at Leicester and hopefully we'll follow suit in the near future.

It was a big thing in 16/17 when Conte's Chelsea hit 13 wins in a row, now that numbers being hit systematically.

Ekeke

Who would need to convince the owners? It’s them that are the ones who are feckers to deal with and won’t let people out of the club easily.

They want success and not money, the amount on offer and the team offering it doesn’t matter in January, they wouldn’t consider anything. They do not and will not sell in January.

If a Real or Barca come knocking in the summer, what can you do. But they don’t often shop at clubs like Leicester thankfully.
Neither did City, then they bought Mahrez. With great success comes eyes from the big clubs.

They didnt often come in for players at Spurs, until Spurs were doing well with some players standing out. Then they signed Bale and Modric as star players

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
City v Leicester game is a tough one for Utd fans, a draw is a loss for both teams. So who do Utd fans root for? City as they are the only team to get near to 90+ points or Leicester who are currently closer to us? The loser of this game will effectively be ruled out of the race, right?
You do make some weird posts at time :lol: It's so easy and blatant to back Leicester. Man City have arrived at the end of their cycle.

sp_107

Being on high after recent 2 games, I like to see Ole given more time but do you guys take Rodgers over Ole if we can get him now?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Being on high after recent 2 games, I like to see Ole given more time but do you guys take Rodgers over Ole if we can get him now?
Brentan at United....

I don't think the Universe can sustain such a situation. @SteveJ would explode.

Alexit

Keep on trucking Leicester.
Yeah, if Liverpool weren't having such an amazing year I figure they would win it all, again! Imagine that LEI could win it twice in the space of a couple years and we're still quite a ways off from getting our trophy back. Who would have thought!

foxedup

Supports
Leicester
Neither did City, then they bought Mahrez. With great success comes eyes from the big clubs.

They didnt often come in for players at Spurs, until Spurs were doing well with some players standing out. Then they signed Bale and Modric as star players
Mahrez had performed in Europe and in the league for several years, most of our lads are some way off that yet. IF we got champions league football and they show up again, then I think it becomes a different story. More people take notice. Kante for instance was sensational for us, best player on the park week in week out, yet only a team sat 10th or something took a chance on him. It was so obvious how good he was, but people have question marks because we're Leicester.

Ricardo is the one I'm worried about, the lad is absolutely unreal.

Ekeke

Mahrez had performed in Europe and in the league for several years, most of our lads are some way off that yet. IF we got champions league football and they show up again, then I think it becomes a different story. More people take notice. Kante for instance was sensational for us, best player on the park week in week out, yet only a team sat 10th or something took a chance on him. It was so obvious how good he was, but people have question marks because we're Leicester.

Ricardo is the one I'm worried about, the lad is absolutely unreal.
Apparently we wanted Kante too.

Yes I think for foreign clubs Ricardo, Soyuncu and Ndidi will get some good offers with the British players staying in the premier league

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
This is an interesting story, could get in a bit of trouble for this. https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/foo...ester-city-over-george-hirst-transfer-1349697
I don't see how, the 2 clubs are run separately, at the time OHL were managed by Nigel Pearson, Hirst's dad's mate, he was sacked during that season and he left the following summer, morally is there an issue, probably, legally? I very much doubt it.

Oh and before you feel too sorry for Shef Weds, we offered them £2-3m for Hirst they said no at a time when they were refusing to let him play or train as he wouldn't sign a new contract, they haven't exactly acted fairly in this themselves.

Until FIFA say no person or company can own multiple clubs then this is a system that will always be exploited, anyone who thinks this stuff doesn't happen all the time is being naive. Doesn't mean I like it mind you

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I don't see how, the 2 clubs are run separately, at the time OHL were managed by Nigel Pearson, Hirst's dad's mate, he was sacked during that season and he left the following summer, morally is there an issue, probably, legally? I very much doubt it.

Oh and before you feel too sorry for Shef Weds, we offered them £2-3m for Hirst they said no at a time when they were refusing to let him play or train as he wouldn't sign a new contract, they haven't exactly acted fairly in this themselves.

Until FIFA say no person or company can own multiple clubs then this is a system that will always be exploited, anyone who thinks this stuff doesn't happen all the time is being naive. Doesn't mean I like it mind you
Yeah, I'm not saying you actually will, but if they somehow prove wrong doing, it's likely to be a stern punishment.

It will be hard to prove the intent, at the time I thought it was pretty obvious that was going to happen. Stopped following the story after.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Oh and before you feel too sorry for Shef Weds, we offered them £2-3m for Hirst they said no
Get out of here with this shite. You spent the summer criticising United for their pursuit of Maguire and revelled in the fact that Leicester stoof firm on their valuation of the player, and here you are now in effect saying Wednesday should’ve bent over for you because, well, you offered them a good price. Hypocrisy at its finest.

P.S. Best of luck tonight. Just win. Please. :D

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Yeah, I'm not saying you actually will, but if they somehow prove wrong doing, it's likely to be a stern punishment.

It will be hard to prove the intent, at the time I thought it was pretty obvious that was going to happen. Stopped following the story after.
knowing what was probably going to happen and proving that was the intent are different things, I doubt any punishment would be that severe for a single instance, most likely be a fine

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Get out of here with this shite. You spent the summer criticising United for their pursuit of Maguire and revelled in the fact that Leicester stoof firm on their valuation of the player, and here you are now in effect saying Wednesday should’ve bent over for you because, well, you offered them a good price. Hypocrisy at its finest.

P.S. Best of luck tonight. Just win. Please.:D
Maguire had a 4 year contract Hirst's deal was up in the summer, we offered more than any tribunal fee would have awarded given how little he had played. If we had cost our selves millions due to United exploiting a loop hole like this I would be angry at my club not yours

Classical Mechanic

Do we think they will drop out the top 4 in the new year? No wins in 3 games.
xG said their form was misleading so I wasn’t surprised to see City and Liverpool tear them a new one but they’ve got a 10 point lead on the 5th place team so they’ve got a good chance of top 4, given the patchy form of those below them. They’d have to tank really bad.

Chipper

Adulterer.
They won't be playing City and Liverpool every week. Easy top 4 finish.

dev1l

Much depends on how they react to today's heavy defeat.

I don't watch much football outside of United these days but it's boxing day so I tuned in all day, was expecting Evans to be this superb player, the better of Maguire, what I saw was the same guy that left us.

It's one game I know, but he was absolutely pants, nearly capped it off with one of his patented straight to the oppo centre forward assists but got lucky there.

GenZRed

They need to get back winning ways soon. If it weren't for the inconsistent form of us and Chelsea their Top 4 place would be in serious jeopardy.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
You do make some weird posts at time :lol: It's so easy and blatant to back Leicester. Man City have arrived at the end of their cycle.
Not so weird after all then. Leicester are the ones at the end of their cycle, not City. This is as much as I expected (made this comment a week ago re. Rodgers separately somewhere on here).

Chipper

Adulterer.
Yeah but they've been exposed, or found out. Or something.
Well they'll have to fall off a long,long way not to make it now. Just looked at a spread betting market and they have Spurs taking 5th on 63 or 64 points. Fivefirtyeight, some statistics boffins having them getting 61 and they currently estimate Leicester for 70. Neither are infallible but something as little as 26 points from their last 19 would have to give them a good chance. 30 more points based on what we've so far would probably make it quite safely.

TheReligion

Abusive
Funny how our vocal Leicester fans have vanished recently..

Not one shot on target today at home. Dismal, awful performance. Look nothing like a top team in recent weeks

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
They won't be playing City and Liverpool every week. Easy top 4 finish.
If Chelsea, Spurs and United start playing to anywhere near the quality these teams have, I could see there being quite a big scrap for 3rd and 4th place.

Classical Mechanic

Funny how our vocal Leicester fans have vanished recently..

Not one shot on target today at home. Dismal, awful performance. Look nothing like a top team in recent weeks
Indeed. You can say it’s Liverpool but 3 shots 0 on target at home is incredibly bad. I wonder if there has been a worse attacking output by a team in any game this season, I’d be amazed if any home side had worse stats than that.