Leicester City 2020-21

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
Is Harvey Barnes any good? Can't figure him out, watched Leicester about 5-10 times with him starting over the last 2 season and still can't work out if he's decent.

They'll do well to get top four this year. Last year was their chance, and I don't think not getting top four is a poor season. They need to keep building and slowly join the elite over the next 2-3 years, so up there with Spurs/Arsenal/us and consistently finishing a significant amount ahead of the chasing pack such as Everton and Wolves.
He always seems to do eye-catching, very direct dribbles when I watch him. But he might be shite.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Maddison is back for them as well. If they can keep fit I think they will finish top 4 this year.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
So us or Chelsea to miss it. Neither have impressed though. Arsenal and Everton in the mix too.
I think Arsenal and Everton haven’t proven in a while they can hang with the top 6. Leicester have. That’s why as of right now I’m confident of Leicester. I think Chelsea will beat us to the 4th spot unless we sign someone in the next 7 days.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
I think Arsenal and Everton haven’t proven in a while they can hang with the top 6. Leicester have. That’s why as of right now I’m confident of Leicester. I think Chelsea will beat us to the 4th spot unless we sign someone in the next 7 days.
Whats your point in this... This doesnt say anything.. Before last year Spurs and Arsenal were the teams who had proven to be CL spot contenders, whereas Leicester hadn't... Proven in the past doesnt mean shit.. Look at the quality and mentality of the squad at the moment...

That being sad.. I think City and Liverpool will be 1 and 2, Chelsea will end top 4 for sure, but the other open spot is up for grabs between Spurs United and Leicester and Arsenal if you ask me, with Everton as a dark horse..

tob

How have they manage to keep Vardy at the club all these years?

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC
Justin is just backup, It will be Ricardo on the right and Castagne on the left when Ricardo is back.
Likely the intention, but given how well it is working and "if" it continues to work, the manager may decide not to upset a winning formula. Justin is improving with every game, he is not a technical player like Ricardo and Castagne, but he has immensely improved that position already, of course if results drop off when Ricardo returns to fitness then I think the change will be made quickly. Whatever happens though it looks like we played a blinder on the market.

foxedup

Supports
Leicester
Likely the intention, but given how well it is working and "if" it continues to work, the manager may decide not to upset a winning formula. Justin is improving with every game, he is not a technical player like Ricardo and Castagne, but he has immensely improved that position already, of course if results drop off when Ricardo returns to fitness then I think the change will be made quickly. Whatever happens though it looks like we played a blinder on the market.
Ricardo will be in the team the second he's fit, he's verging world class.

foxedup

Supports
Leicester
Is Harvey Barnes any good? Can't figure him out, watched Leicester about 5-10 times with him starting over the last 2 season and still can't work out if he's decent.

They'll do well to get top four this year. Last year was their chance, and I don't think not getting top four is a poor season. They need to keep building and slowly join the elite over the next 2-3 years, so up there with Spurs/Arsenal/us and consistently finishing a significant amount ahead of the chasing pack such as Everton and Wolves.
The plan is measured in decades here, part of that is the new training complex ready this season (complete with 9 hole golf course and hotel for the players). Then it's stadium expansion, and just steady natural growth.

Things can go south quickly with one bad manager or a bad transfer window, but without billions to spend that's only way to do it. The owners and directors have shown they have a plan that works so far.

As for Barnes, he's getting better all the time. He's still very raw, if he sorts out his finishing honestly I can't see him being here past the end of the season. He could nail 15 goals plus each season and double digit assists without a shadow of doubt (if he calms down in front of goal). He gets in the positions and creates chances to get that many.

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC
Ricardo will be in the team the second he's fit, he's verging world class.
Is a good job you are not our manager then ;) This isn't football manager computer game, He has had a nasty injury and regardless of how good a player may be the overall cohesion of the unit is what comes first, and if we keep winning every game, then I expect he will be on the bench. Then assessed on his performance as a sub before a decision is made to play him.

Castagne I think is at least as good as him, maybe better, and Ricardo is untested for us on the left side. This is not a slam dunk he is straight back in the team after one training session thing.

Of course if you reply again saying 100% he will start, you welcome to tell me what your job is at the club to allow you to say it with such confidence. :)

foxedup

Supports
Leicester
Is a good job you are not our manager then ;) This isn't football manager computer game, He has had a nasty injury and regardless of how good a player may be the overall cohesion of the unit is what comes first, and if we keep winning every game, then I expect he will be on the bench. Then assessed on his performance as a sub before a decision is made to play him.

Castagne I think is at least as good as him, maybe better, and Ricardo is untested for us on the left side. This is not a slam dunk he is straight back in the team after one training session thing.

Of course if you reply again saying 100% he will start, you welcome to tell me what your job is at the club to allow you to say it with such confidence. :)
Who said he'd be back after one training session, I said when he was fit. There isn't a chance on this earth that a player who was frankly responsible for the two goals against Burnley keeps his place in the team when Ricardo is up to speed. He's been our best player for two years, Justin is average.

I'll leave how he gets fit and when he's up to speed to the management. But Justin will lose that position.

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC
I take it you haven't watched the Man City game then, Justin was certainly better than average. A lot of our fans liked Chilwell, and because of that seems to have taken a dislike to Justin. For the Burnley goals, one of them was a not given foul, also I have seen Ricardo fail to stop scorers before as well, it happens to all defenders. By your definition every defender in the EPL is average.

I also don't disagree Ricardo will make his way back into the team, I just am saying its not a given he will walk back in the moment he is match fit.

GGT

Blimey

Two foxes having a dilly ding, dilly dong.

Comet49

Seen a Brendan Rogers interview, he was saying he’s realised that there’s times to defend. I think it was Southampton (or Palace, maybe) where Liverpool lost a 3 goal lead and the title.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The only team I don’t loathe (for various different reasons) with a real chance of winning the league. So I’m all in on Leicester as my second team this season.

Rodgers is clearly a top class manager, with an eye for good/cheap signings. Would take him at United. Even though he’s a bit of a tit.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Fofana looks a defender dosen't he? France have insane amount of very good CBs under 25 these days.

He's hit the ground running so they've barely missed Sonycu this season.

Maddison still to get back to full fitness and Ndidi to come back into midfield so they can get stronger although europa league might impact on them as season goes on.

Already winning at Man. City and Arsenal is a pretty big statement and tonight was very good aswell. Just have to tidy up their home form.

foxedup

Supports
Leicester
Fofana looks a defender dosen't he? France have insane amount of very good CBs under 25 these days.

He's hit the ground running so they've barely missed Sonycu this season.

Maddison still to get back to full fitness and Ndidi to come back into midfield so they can get stronger although europa league might impact on them as season goes on.

Already winning at Man. City and Arsenal is a pretty big statement and tonight was very good aswell. Just have to tidy up their home form.
Starting 11 missing 6 players who if fit would normally start:

Ricardo
Castagne
Evans
Soyuncu
Maddison
Ndidi

MattofManchester

Something interesting to be brought up, but how many new players at Leicester would be considered flops in recent times?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Something interesting to be brought up, but how many new players at Leicester would be considered flops in recent times?
Slimani was actually named on the bench recently so he's still there. Thought he would be good fit in premier league but hasn't worked out. Scored a few for Monaco last season but they didn't sign him permanently.

They had a few misses straight after the title win. Musa from CSKA Moscow didn't work out either and the protacted signing of Adrien Silva didn't work out either. Iborra quickly went back to Spain aswell although he was alright from what I saw. Mendy came as a sort of Kante replacement and he really struggled at first to fill the void so had to get in Ndidi but he might have improved under Rodgers.

In recent times you could argue Kelechi and Ayoze Perez at nearly 50m combined haven't been amazing but they're still decent squad players.

Overall they've scouted so well last few years getting in excellent lower league players (Maddison, Justin), put in a few of their youth (Chilwell, Harvey Barnes, Luke Thomas), odd experienced head like Jonny Evans (3m from West Brom has to be one of the bargain signings of last few years) and good quality international players like Castagne and Ricardo Peieira.

Would argue above all getting in Rodgers was the masterstroke. They had most of this squad under Claude Puel and they were steady if very inconsistant and most could see his style wasn't a great fit for how they should play. Vardy was getting left on bench a few times so it was a clever decision by the club once things had settled down after the owner died.

Footy van de Geek

Credit to Rodgers, I thought he would be sacked early this season after such a poor run of form at the end of last season. I know they beat City, but that was followed by a bad home loss against West Ham and another home defeat against Villa.

Given their injury list, he’s done a very good job. Some big results against City, Leicester and Leeds. And flying in The Europa League.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Got a lot of respect for Leicester. They have £50m+ rated players across their team and they only got promoted 5(?) years ago.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The only team I don’t loathe (for various different reasons) with a real chance of winning the league. So I’m all in on Leicester as my second team this season.

Rodgers is clearly a top class manager, with an eye for good/cheap signings. Would take him at United. Even though he’s a bit of a tit.
Don't see how they have a real chance of winning the league. They are well behind a number of teams in terms of quality and kept up pace in the 1st half of last season due to being better managed (agree on Rodgers, quality manager) than others. Top 4 is the best they can hope for imo. That too will take United having a rubbish season which, I guess, is already happening.

RashyForPM

As I said, especially in this topsy-turvy season, these guys are top 2 challengers. Nothing anyone can say until/unless they bottle it again will change my opinion. I mean, they are in 2nd now, have strengthened and imo were already the 3rd best team last season until lockdown ruined their momentum. 9 clear of Chelsea and 12 clear of us or something crazy in February. Also, Vardy clearly isn’t slowing down just yet. He is phenomenal.

gajender

As I said, especially in this topsy-turvy season, these guys are top 2 challengers. Nothing anyone can say until/unless they bottle it again will change my opinion. I mean, they are in 2nd now, have strengthened and imo were already the 3rd best team last season until lockdown ruined their momentum. 9 clear of Chelsea and 12 clear of us or something crazy in February. Also, Vardy clearly isn’t slowing down just yet. He is phenomenal.
Are you sure they were struggling way before Lockdown and their underlying stats were indicating that they were over performing big time which eventually caught up with them ,Lockdown break actually gave them the breather to regroup and stem the slide .

foxedup

Supports
Leicester
Are you sure they were struggling way before Lockdown and their underlying stats were indicating that they were over performing big time which eventually caught up with them ,Lockdown break actually gave them the breather to regroup and stem the slide .
Not having all this predicted goals and the like. It's simple, we played very very well for the first half of the season. From Christmas onwards we started to pick up injuries and things just steadily got worse and worse. Coming back from lockdown we had even more injuries.

If anything, whilst injuries hampered us last season, it's helped this season. As players who hadn't played much, or hadn't played together got time to work with each other. That and Rodgers isn't so rigid in what he wan't us to do. He's much happier to let us sit back and counter at the moment, rather than trying to outpass teams playing half of our reserve team.

Pagh Wraith

Not having all this predicted goals and the like. It's simple, we played very very well for the first half of the season. From Christmas onwards we started to pick up injuries and things just steadily got worse and worse. Coming back from lockdown we had even more injuries.

If anything, whilst injuries hampered us last season, it's helped this season. As players who hadn't played much, or hadn't played together got time to work with each other. That and Rodgers isn't so rigid in what he wan't us to do. He's much happier to let us sit back and counter at the moment, rather than trying to outpass teams playing half of our reserve team.
First half of Leicester's season: 31.2 - 22.9 xG, 263 - 204 shots, 93 - 67 shots on target
Second half of Leicester's season: 30.5 - 21.4 xG, 274 - 176 shots, 97 - 70 shots on target

No difference whatsoever. These numbers tell you much more about the performances than scorelines do. In general, performance levels are much more constant than a lot of fans think and when people talk about 'form' they usually mean results which tell you nothing in the short run. Sadly, managers lose their job due to this sort of knee-jerk behaviour. I remember a sizeable section of Leicester fans calling for Rodgers' head at the end of the season which was ludicrous. And it was because they had a distorted view of the team's true performance level due to a lot of very fortunate results early on in the season. If results had been more evenly distributed this wouldn't have happened and people would have seen Leicester for that are at this point: a very solid +0.5 xG a game side that can challenge for top six, possible top four but not for the title.

Last edited:

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
he is such a hard manager to have any faith in due to how baffling his decisions can be

foxedup

Supports
Leicester
Still missing 4 nailed on starters in Ricardo, Castagne, Soyuncu and Ndidi. It means we simply don't trust the defence and end up playing negatively. That being said, playing basically only two creative players and a finisher against Fulham is inexcusable.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Still missing 4 nailed on starters in Ricardo, Castagne, Soyuncu and Ndidi. It means we simply don't trust the defence and end up playing negatively. That being said, playing basically only two creative players and a finisher against Fulham is inexcusable.
A back 5 and our second biggest threat left on the bench at home to Fulham is inexcusable we’ve played 4231 with the players available until Evans back flared up and were forced to switch problem is when the media rimmed Brendan post Man City result he believed his press ...

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Got these next up in the league, like us they've been awful at home but good away

With Ndidi and Maddison back they'll be a far stiffer challenge than they were in the shoot out for UCL football on the last day of last season

Win though and we go ahead of them in the league with still a game in hand (and will be 2nd in the table)

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Whatever happened to all the Leicester fans that flooded the forum not so long ago? One minute they were threatening to break the forum with their relentless posting, then they just sort of vanished all at the same time.

A conspiracy you say? Hmm, possibly.