Leicester City owner’s helicopter crashes in car park | Five deaths including Chairman

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Only read yesterday about the many nice things he done for the Leicester players and also the city as a whole. He seemed a stand up guy that understood what it meant to own a football club and how to interact with the community and the players.

CA1

Collymore was right what he said.

Basically if it was a player caught saying that the journalists would be all over it private or not. Cos it's a journalist no one said a word.
Exactly.

Dan Roan would be stood outside with his stern face talking about what controversy it was and trying to get the individual sacked. Particularly if the BBC didn't like the individual. What goes around comes around.

CA1

Dan Roan's comments have given all the tabloids a free pass to publish the speculation about the female passenger.
Owner's son (who will now run it) 100% within his rights to tell Roan he's not welcome at the club under any circumstance.

JamiePollocksOG

Supports
Manchester City
Source.

Leo Bruka, 27, who lives near the stadium, told The Telegraph he was driving home from work when he saw the helicopter falling.

"I saw the helicopter coming down, it was spinning very quickly.

"In front of me was a police car. Before it fell the police car went straight away towards where it was falling and I followed them.

"We were less than five seconds away. When we went there there was a man who I think was working inside the property of King Power stadium who opened the back gate.

"The helicopter didn't fall in the [fans'] car park. It fell inside the territory of the stadium. The car park is very close. It might be a car park for the staff because it's in the stadium.

"One of the policeman ran straight away to the helicopter and another got out a fire extinguisher. The first policeman was tying to break the glass of the helicopter, the window, then in this moment I saw a women in tears crying out loud because I think the helicopter just missed her, she was about 20 metres away.

"The fire just started and then there was an explosion.The policemen tried to calm down the fire. The police response was very quick. This all happened in less than one minute, then I could hear all the police coming around the stadium. They hadn't left yet after the match.

"A policeman asked me to stop filming because someone was in the helicopter."
Is this the guy on social media that was attempting to sell the footage he had taken to the highest bidder?

Simply question what this world has turned into whem someone is trying to sell a video of people dying inside a blazing inferno which was the helicopter.

The main reason for posting though, amd i cant find the original post now from Sat night or Sun morning, was a Leicester fan's disbelief as to what was happening.
I dont cry often, but reading how you felt and what you were going through actually moved me and i am man enough to say i shed a tear at what your post said.
I feel football has lost a gentleman that not only wanted to give hia best to the club but also his best to the city as well.
Think we all experience highs and lows in football and Marc Vivien Foe is possibly the only recent experience we have to compare it to.

I really hope Leicester kick on and win a major trophy this season. What a fitting tribute that would be to what sounds like a man who was 1 in a million.

RIP Vichai

fezzerUTD

Seen a video of the take off and it going into the sky. Before it takes off some smoke comes out of the back. This was probably one of the issues.

So sad, Rip.

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
Seen a video of the take off and it going into the sky. Before it takes off some smoke comes out of the back. This was probably one of the issues.

So sad, Rip.
Could a collision with a drone be responsible for this terrible accident?

Blatzo

So sad, Rip.
I don't think the smoke before take off is linked to the reason why the crash happened.

I think that's related to the engine powering up and jettisoning excess fuel and/or not burning it fully during start-up.

It was reported that the likely cause of the crash was the tail rotor not functioning properly (and it was functioning fine during takeoff). In the video you're talking about you can more or less pinpoint the moment where it fails and the helicopter starts to spin out.

El Zoido

So sad, Rip.
Saw that on Reddit, apparently that’s normal. According to some supposed pilots in the comments at least.

Seems like everything was by the book. The pilot went to dip the nose to move forward and at that point the tail rotor failed and put it in to an unrecoverable spin. I saw the video and it looks like a part shears off the tail just before it enters the spin. It’s hard to tell with the poor quality of the footage though.

fezzerUTD

Saw that on Reddit, apparently that’s normal. According to some supposed pilots in the comments at least.

Seems like everything was by the book. The pilot went to dip the nose to move forward and at that point the tail rotor failed and put it in to an unrecoverable spin. I saw the video and it looks like a part shears off the tail just before it enters the spin. It’s hard to tell with the poor quality of the footage though.
It’s scary that if that tail rotor goes your basically screwed :(

montpelier

It’s scary that if that tail rotor goes your basically screwed :(
Well, the pilots reckon not (quite). Although it's very problematic, shall we say. And I don't totally understand what they are saying either, tbh.

But apparently, it's something like, that with enough height, you can stop the spinning, get off the power & it's a slower fall. At the last seconds you theoretically 'restart' the engines & attempt to cushion the fall, landing on a halfspin maybe, because that starts back in. Tricky but it has been done they say. Flying a helicopter like a glider though, not something you'd necessarily be placing at the top of any 'to do' list I wouldn't have thought.

I've just read that you have to do this before you start spinning too much, ideally. So the window of opportunity for this is quite small or next to superhuman endeavour.

With not a lot of height & a spin going on there isn't time to be doing all or any of this.

UncleBob

Deadly machines. No room for maneuver.
It's more or less the fact that helicopter accidents rarely end well...Generally the basic fear that if something does go wrong during the flight, you're fecked. Plenty of times I've woken up mid flight due to turbulence and for a few seconds believed we were going down. Worst was when I was so deep asleep that I didn't hear the notification about going in for landing, so I woke up when we landed.

The Heli they used on Falkland for crew changes was the same that went down in Aberdeen/Shetland, we had 1,5 hour flights with it, not the best feeling to be in a heli for that long over open water where you are unlikely to be rescued either way.

red4ever 79

Simply harrowing watching that video. Strange with the smoke coming out at the beginning that the pilot still decided to take off. Maybe he didnt see the smoke.

buchansleftleg

Well, the pilots reckon not (quite). Although it's very problematic, shall we say. And I don't totally understand what they are saying either, tbh.

But apparently, it's something like, that with enough height, you can stop the spinning, get off the power & it's a slower fall. At the last seconds you theoretically 'restart' the engines & attempt to cushion the fall, landing on a halfspin maybe, because that starts back in. Tricky but it has been done they say. Flying a helicopter like a glider though, not something you'd necessarily be placing at the top of any 'to do' list I wouldn't have thought.

I've just read that you have to do this before you start spinning too much, ideally. So the window of opportunity for this is quite small or next to superhuman endeavour.

With not a lot of height & a spin going on there isn't time to be doing all or any of this.
Yes from what I can see on that video the failure in the tail rotor occured at worst possible time.

With no forward momentum to help prolong an autorotation the pilot had no chance. He did amazingly well to clear the stadium and car parks.