Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

FriendlyFox

Supports
    Leicester City
    Which leicester players are out for this one?
    Soyuncu
    Maddison
    someone else?
    Ricardo
    Soyuncu
    Maddison
    Chilwell
    Albrighton
    Fuchs

I ordered them from most important to least important :D

Glorio

It's a pity the schedule these boys had to play through, and the lack of able support from the bench. That said, Ole has tried to make changes when we've had a comfortable cushion in games and I can't blame him too much for sticking with the same team.

Now this might be hope talking, but an extra full 24 hours of rest (which we haven't had the privilege of for a while) should make a fair difference to energy levels. Add the adrenaline rush going into the final day with what is at stake, and the boys should be up to the task fitness-wise for 90 minutes.

It wouldn't be wise trying to conserve energy through the game though, the message should be for the boys to go for it full pelt, and as soon anyone starts looking knackered (particularly in midfield and also with Rashford in particular), trust the bench and replace them. What would be bad is if we find ourselves chasing the game, and the creative men start looking like they're wilting :(

Yesterday West Ham were more than happy with a draw, but if they went for it, it could well have ended badly as there was nothing left in some of those legs, but as we were trying to win, the knackered creators with game winning ability were left to soldier on hopelessly, leaving big holes in the midfield. I remember someone running past Bruno as he made an agonising attempt to drag his body towards them while desperately looking around in hope that someone else was covering.

Again though, one extra day in sport is massive and hopefully, it will make a difference. If it doesn't, at some stage we should trust the more decent internationals sat on the bench to get us a result I think.

Reactions: Penna

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
    How about them dropping 3 points to Chelsea at home a few weeks ago? If they would have drawn with Chelsea, they'd be on 63 points and Chelsea would be on 61 and both and us Leicester would get CL because there would be no way Chelsea was making up the GD and both teams could play out for a draw
    That was the FA Cup..

JustinC00

Southampton
    We were up 2-1 when both our LB went out injured in a span of 15 minutes and we had to play without a defender for all of extra time because we couldn't sub and Southampton should have been down 10 men but VAR was useless and Southampton subbed the player who should have been off for the player that scored their 2nd goal.

So there is some context and I don't care how Southampton brought it to us in the first 20-30 minutes, we were up 2-1, we were seeing out the game and it was headed to stoppage time and then Williams got injured and we were down to 10.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
    Thomas looked good against Sheffield, but if I remember correctly, he made a couple of errors which led to two of Spurs goals.

If we have to sell one of our defenders, I'd rather it was Chilwell - I think he's the weakest out of the back 4. And for a 19 year old, Thomas has done pretty well, so there's definitely potential there. But I still think he might need a couple more seasons under his belt before he becomes first choice.

If clubs want to offer us stupid money, we could still sell Chilwell and get a stop-gap for a few years though, while Thomas learns the roll.
    Fair enough, must admit I only had the games on in the background but he seemed to be attacking well. Not scared to get forward and looked quick, put in some good crosses for vardy and think he assisted Perez? Anyway sure he will have a bright future.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
    We just need to play it out intelligently out of the back. If that means mixing it up, then we mix it up. So often we're slow and or create our own problems. If we pass it quickly and incisively then we can let the forwards play but we're too ponderous at the back right now. Too many touches. The goal we got against West Ham was excellent but we shouldn't have to dissect a team to create chances. We should focus on our qualities.

JustinC00

That was the FA Cup..
    Was it? All these games this close together has me stupid. Well alright then they add Arsenal and Everton to that list of teams they should have been better against, 5 points dropped to them, would have been 6 if Arsenal didn't have a player sent off

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
    Was it? All these games this close together has me stupid. Well alright then they add Arsenal and Everton to that list of teams they should have been better against, 5 points dropped to them, would have been 6 if Arsenal didn't have a player sent off
    Indeed

Knux

Supports
    AIK Stockholm
    Ricardo
    Soyuncu
    Maddison
    Chilwell
    Albrighton
    Fuchs

Wow, I’m not jealous of that injurylist. At least Vardy is fit;)

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
    Ricardo
    Soyuncu
    Maddison
    Chilwell
    Albrighton
    Fuchs

Schmeichel
    Justin Morgan Evans Simpson
    Ndidi
    Prat Tielemans
    Perez Vardy Barnes​

Something like that? No offence but it looks very beatable. Only positions I’d say you are stronger is GK & DM.

Saddy

De Gea
    AWB Lindelof Maguire Shaw
    Fred Mctominay
    Bruno
    Greenwood Ighalo Martial

Fresh legs in the centre of the park and options to change things from the bench as the game gets stretched.
    I'm thinking the same way - Pogba, Bruno and Rashford look gassed out and we should start the match with McTominay and Fred in midfield with either Ighalo or James replacing Rashford upfront. Probably start the match with Bruno so we have Pogba and Rashford coming on for the whole of the 2nd half if necessary.

However if the starting 11 get a lead and we are looking comfortable no need for any changes until say the 70th minute - it's something Ole has really neglected and Fred in particular must be fuming about being left on the bench after being one of our best performers this season.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
    Scout
    Schmeichel
    Ndidi
    Prat Tielemans
    Perez Vardy Barnes​

Something like that? No offence but it looks very beatable. Only positions I’d say you are stronger is GK & DM.
    They've played 3 at the back since Soyuncu was sent off.

Schmeichel
    Morgan Evans Bennett
    Justin Ndidi Tielemans Thomas
    Perez Vardy Barnes

Their wing backs provide width, overlapping runs and early crosses over the top for Vardy.

Barnes is their best dribbler and he links up very well with Vardy. He's got a wicked shot in him, too. Glad he plays down AWB's side.

Ndidi and Tielemans have a great workrate - they'll be pressing Pogba and Bruno to start quick counters and Perez drifts into pockets of space to link up play.

Their defence is very slow and we should take our chances in transition, especially down their right where Justin is still raw and Perez doesn't always track back. Having Shaw here would be amazing, but even if Rashford turns up we can trouble them in the space behind the wing back.

You can't win aerial balls against Morgan, but if you run at them only Evans is decent at 1v1s. Would love to see Greenwood running at them on a counter.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
    rashford - lukaku
    lingard
    fred - mctominay
    matic
    young - jones - smalling - Rojo
    de gea

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
    Despite being very pro Ole, I’ve lost abit of confidence in his ability to pick the right team in these unique post lockdown circumstances.

He had the get the perfect balance of picking teams with enough talent and energy to win. He went only for the former, whilst neglecting the latter, and the FA cup semi final selection debacle has really backfired.

His best only policy has played Fred, Mctominay and Igalo out of form and confidence, whilst running Matic, Pogba, Bruno and Rashford into the ground.

This means his selections for this final game have big risks no matter which way he goes. He should have anticipated that this final game would be ‘the cup final’ and ensured he had an entire squad of 15 or 16 players who were as fresh as possible and in form to pick from.

If we miss out on Sunday OGS inability you get rotation right will be the main reason why his heroic attempt to finish top 4 failed.

Cantonagotmehere

I'm freaking terrified of this game. 11AM here in the US makes it tough to be on the beers.....

What game is bigger than this in United's recent history?

theklr

If we miss out on Sunday OGS inability you get rotation right will be the main reason why his heroic attempt to finish top 4 failed.
    While I agree on most of your post, one could always wonder if they would even be in the position to finish top 4 had he gone for more rotation.

Knux

Supports
    AIK Stockholm
    I'm freaking terrified of this game. 11AM here in the US makes it tough to be on the beers.....

It’s never too early for the beers mate.

I don’t know, perhaps the EL final against Ajax in 2016.
    The return leg against PSG in CL was awesome too.

Irwin99

Ricardo
    Soyuncu
    Maddison
    Chilwell
    Albrighton
    Fuchs

How do you see the game playing tactically from a Leicester perspective? High press? Lots of possession? Will Rodgers change his system you think? Evans and Morgan vs our forwards looks risky for you. I guess the same could be said about Vardy and our defenders.

red woppit

Supports
    Northampton Town
    Would like to see Fred and McTominay together as the midfield two, so we have some stability and dynamism in there, I feel with Matic and Pogba as the two, we seem quite relaxed and languid, which gives opponents opportunities to pass through our midfield with ease. I appreciate that with Matic and Pogba our creativeness is greater than with Fred and McTominay, but we need to stop the supply through to Vardy, and hopefully AWB is on form to keep Barnes quiet, if we keep Leicester at bay, we will get CL, and I would back our strike force to score at least one goal against Leicester's defence. My only concern would be the fact that they will be a bit rusty, having not played much.

Jericholyte2

I’d go with:

—————————DDG—————————
    AWB——Lindelof——Maguire——Shaw
    —————————Matic—————————
    —————McT——————Fred—————
    —————————Bruno—————————
    ———Greenwood———Martial—————

Have the 442 diamond in possession and pull Matic into a back 3 in defence. Have McT and Fred’s energy in CM and tell Bruno, Mason and Martial I don’t want to see them in our own half.

As the front three I would have them save energy by not worrying about tracking back.

Then you also have Pogba, Rashford on the bench who could actually be effective options rather than the names he puts on the bench currently that he has no faith in.

USREDEVIL

Whatever we do, do not play a damn 5-3-2 with the idea of trying to secure a draw and "nick" a win. When we do that we're shit. Drop static Matic. His old form has returned. Time for Fred again i think.

Mcking

We were up 2-1 when both our LB went out injured in a span of 15 minutes and we had to play without a defender for all of extra time because we couldn't sub and Southampton should have been down 10 men but VAR was useless and Southampton subbed the player who should have been off for the player that scored their 2nd goal.

So there is some context and I don't care how Southampton brought it to us in the first 20-30 minutes, we were up 2-1, we were seeing out the game and it was headed to stoppage time and then Williams got injured and we were down to 10.
    Regardless, we couldn't get a hold of the game. The goal had been coming even before Williams left the pitch. I could see the Leicester game going a similar way if they decide to go for it

Web of Bissaka

So apparently Shaw is back training. Bailly is also seen in training.

Missing players?
    United: Axel, Jones
    Leicester: Soyunco, Maddisson, Chilwell, Ricardo, Fuchs, Amartey

:nervous: Embarrassing if we lose or draw.

always_hoping

So apparently Shaw is back training. Bailly is also seen in training.

Missing players?
    United: Axel, Jones
    Leicester: Soyunco, Maddisson, Chilwell, Ricardo, Fuchs, Amartey

:nervous: Embarrassing if we lose or draw.
    Amartey hasn't played any Premier league game this season. Fuchs only started a handful of games because he's not a first choice player.

Any advantage United have on injuries is lost on their own weary legs and Leicester have had a full week to rest and prepare for Sundays game.

caid

They've played 3 at the back since Soyuncu was sent off.

Schmeichel
    Morgan Evans Bennett
    Justin Ndidi Tielemans Thomas
    Perez Vardy Barnes

Their wing backs provide width, overlapping runs and early crosses over the top for Vardy.

Barnes is their best dribbler and he links up very well with Vardy. He's got a wicked shot in him, too. Glad he plays down AWB's side.

Ndidi and Tielemans have a great workrate - they'll be pressing Pogba and Bruno to start quick counters and Perez drifts into pockets of space to link up play.

Their defence is very slow and we should take our chances in transition, especially down their right where Justin is still raw and Perez doesn't always track back. Having Shaw here would be amazing, but even if Rashford turns up we can trouble them in the space behind the wing back.

You can't win aerial balls against Morgan, but if you run at them only Evans is decent at 1v1s. Would love to see Greenwood running at them on a counter.
    Defence aside that looks a pretty decent team tbh

jlecesne

So much negativity in here. I think we'll get it done.

West Ham and Southampton made things difficult by playing defensive. Leicester won't have that luxury. Unless they score first...

peridigm

I’d go with:

—————————DDG—————————
    AWB——Lindelof——Maguire——Shaw
    —————————Matic—————————
    —————McT——————Fred—————
    —————————Bruno—————————
    ———Greenwood———Martial—————

Have the 442 diamond in possession and pull Matic into a back 3 in defence. Have McT and Fred’s energy in CM and tell Bruno, Mason and Martial I don’t want to see them in our own half.

As the front three I would have them save energy by not worrying about tracking back.

Then you also have Pogba, Rashford on the bench who could actually be effective options rather than the names he puts on the bench currently that he has no faith in.
    You want to bench two of our best players but start two subs that you suggest Ole has no faith in?

Pogba and Rashford need to start if we're going to score goals. The main point of our creativity since the season resumed has been via Pogba and Bruno. They're tired. The entire team is tired. I'm sure they're be up for this match as it's do or die. We've got a better chance of an early goal with Pogba and Rashford starting than we do with a McFred MF. We've not played a diamond ever under Ole so I doubt he's going to try that now. We have a better chance of seeing 3 at the back.

No offense intended, just my opinions. Start the strongest team we've had post lock down and get at em from 0'.

Sad Chris

11pm here in China. No beer problems for me. I was worried I‘d need to get up at 3am again as for most of our recent games.

FriendlyFox

Supports
    Leicester City
    How do you see the game playing tactically from a Leicester perspective? High press? Lots of possession? Will Rodgers change his system you think? Evans and Morgan vs our forwards looks risky for you. I guess the same could be said about Vardy and our defenders.
    Rodgers always likes to play a high possession game, and is very stubborn about changing that aspect. I fear that if we do though, you're going to have a field day against our slow CB's.

It really depends on how much he's learned from the Tottenham game, as I think it may be a similar encounter.

Eddy_JukeZ

So much negativity in here. I think we'll get it done.

West Ham and Southampton made things difficult by playing defensive. Leicester won't have that luxury. Unless they score first...
    Southampton were anything but defensive.

And West Ham weren't that defensive in the 2nd half.

Web of Bissaka

Rodgers always likes to play a high possession game, and is very stubborn about changing that aspect. I fear that if we do though, you're going to have a field day against our slow CB's.

It really depends on how much he's learned from the Tottenham game, as I think it may be a similar encounter.
    Interesting.

Ole recently said he's using only two systems 4231 and 352.

Either Ole will copy the Spurs's approach with 352 or we go head to head with Leicester's 343 attacking possession game with 4231.

Bastian

Supports
    Mejbri
    Schmeichel
    Ndidi
    Prat Tielemans
    Perez Vardy Barnes​

Individually yes, on paper. As a team, they've had a very good season mostly. And it's just as big a game for them, and they're a lot fresher.

I wouldn't say very beatable..it's a cup final.

RedCurry

Leicester can't afford to sit back like West Ham though . We tend to do well when teams attack us and leave space behind.
    That’s the general consensus yes. But Leicester will play their natural game which is direct and efficient. There is no need for them to change. We look vulnerable at the back and moderate pressing works against us. They also have very good ball players.

I am comforting myself in the fact that we have genuine individual quality up front and the boys only have to click a couple of times to put us in CL.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
    Erik ten Hag
    I'll still play the same XI but rest Matic and play Bissaka & Shaw if fit. The purpose is to kill the game off because after 65th min, we will look knackered for sure and that's where we can bring Matic on for Pogba or Bruno to add more composure and defensive mind in midfield.

Or if we want to play safe from the start instead of trying to kill the game off early then don't start Pogba.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 356 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw