Sun, 21 March 2021 @ 5:00pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Matt851

Matic has been fine.

I'm a huge Maguire fan, but hes been shocking for the most part. That's a hospital pass he plays Fred. Of course Fred was poor, but it was needless.

McTominay and Bruno for Donny and Fred please. Cavani for Tony as well.
    I think matic has been poor and we almost always look terrible with him in the team. He drops so deep we basically dont have a central midfield and offers so little energy. He has also given the ball away needlessly several times. Not quite fred bad, but that goes without saying

I would keep donny on but change matic and fred for cavani and mct. Keep the last sub for bruno or shaw later on

siw2007

Made a half decent start have been rubbish since we conceded and somehow we are back in it. Terrible mistake from Fred, that entire process needs to be one touch, you can’t afford to control the ball there under that pressure. We need to focus this half, if we can cut out the misplaced passes, we can win this match.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
    You never even pass onto that area, it falls right into their trap. AWB is free on the flank just chip it out wide?

You play your team mates into pressure you ask for trouble. Simple.
    You can and you do, teams do it thousands of times each seasons. Football is about risks and Fred fecking up his touch was the problem, not the pass from Maguire and after the no look back pass. It's crazy unfair to blame Maguire for the goal, it's fecking stupid even.

TsuWave

I’m blaming Leicester’s goal on Maguire. Good to see Beinsports doing the same

Oranges038

How can people seriously blame Maguire for that? That's 100% Fred's fault.
    He dallied on the ball too long, so long in fact that the camera man had time to pan to Madison in the stand, he then passed to the wrong player.

Vaibhav Raj

none of that makes maguire blameless. fine if it's 30 yards from goal but it wasn't
    If and when I play in the midfield and I ask for the ball, I always understand it is my fault if I make a bad back pass or if let the man marking me take the ball off me, irrespective of being marked in the first place. But I suppose Maguire can be smarter too in his pass choice. If we are really trying to find who to blame for the goal between Fred and Maguire, I'd still say 90% Fred. Just a small signal with your palm tells the passer that you don't want the ball.

Drainy

We actually started brightly and we passing it about ok, but then Fred started being caught on it and making bad passes and our confidence collapsed.

he's just not good enough for us

Dante

Average bang
    Passing to someone facing the wrong way, with a player already on him, is an unique way of beating the press.
    Fred wasn't facing the wrong way.

Fred deliberately moves towards the ball and asks for the pass (at 35 seconds). It's something that happens all the time time in every single match and Maguire was right to trust his teammate. That's how team sports work.

If Fred didn't want the pass, he could have stayed where he was and pointed out to the wings.

ForeverRed1

Pundits praising Leicester so much forget they have had a week without a game. We played 8pm on Thursday, we’re knackered!

Hoof the ball

My main contention with Martial is that he has what is a borderline obsession with getting the ball, and instead of releasing the ball to the number of free runners either side of him he prefers to hold the ball for a moment, then turn with it and initialise a dribble before laying it off. Half the time he does this either our runner has lost the momentum or the opposition has crowded Martial enough to get a toe to the ball.

He never, ever releases it early enough. He's like an unresponsive controller on a video game console.

bsCallout

If you're defending a pass at the edge of your own box by pointing out the options for the receiver are to knock it back to the goalkeeper or boot it out of play, I'm not sure why you're pretending it's a good ball.
    You understand the concept of playing it out from the back right? It's the ball pretty much every team plays now. Fred has the option to turn on it or more simply the play it off to Henderson who could play it into the spaces out wide, which is kind of the point of playing it out from the back.

Shimo

Called Greenwood scoring today and I really thought he was going to have a good game but, has even completed a pass? Needs to keep the ball better when it does get to him and bring others into play.

Strats

Bojan Djordjic ripping into Fred and tactics during halftime on Swedish television.
    Basically saying we don't have midfielders who are good enough on the ball to play out from the back during goal kicks and doesn't understand why the feck we are doing so.

Couldn't agree with him more.

RedDevilzFox

We may as well forget about "passing it out of the back" if we are going to blame Maguire for that.

Dobba

Fred wasn't facing the wrong way.

Fred deliberately moves towards the ball and asks for the pass. It's something that happens lots of times in every single match and Maguire was right to trust his teammate. That's how team sports work.

If Fred didn't want the pass, he could have stayed where he was and pointed out to the wings.
    How are you "beating the press" by giving the ball to a guy with his back to said press?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
    Repeat of last season, I reckon;

City vs midtable fodder
    Chelsea vs United(/Leicester)

0le

I thought Maguire was fine. Fred was atrocious. We've been sloppy but it is caused by Leicester's high press - we cannot cope with it. Martial is isolated and Greenwood (apart from the goal) and VdB have been quiet.

Bobski

Donny, say it every game he plays, but he just needs to be more active, just on the periphery of the game. Good awareness for the goal but c'mon man, you have to do more.

Eli Zee

i hate that we try to be fancy and short pass our way out of defense when the better option is to just clear it or go for a longball pass.

i also wish our forwards (martial im looking at you) would be more mobile and less static. Martial does absolutely nothing unless he has the ball at his feet. Please get this man into some mobility training.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 274 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw