Leicester, United and the Euro Super League abomination

Ranchero

The conceit of United and the gang of six Prem clubs joining up with the so-called elite to form a Euro Super League was further exposed as an abomination as Leicester City picked up its second major trophy is five years. Yes TWO. United, taking the tin pot League Cup out of it have managed on - the Europa League. Leicester now have a title and an FA Cup.
Indeed, the Foxes now have the same number of trophies over that period than two members of the gang of six, Arsenal and Spurs, put together. Except that it is a Prem title and an FA Cup against two FA Cups. So the Foxes win.
And yet are not consider one of the Prem's elite. What poppycock.
Further the Foxes' ownership is the kind of ownership we can only dream about. Foreign owners who care. Who the fans know. Who turn up for matches. Who communicate.
There is a way forward for United, but not if we hold on to the past. That has gone. We have to face up to it. Leicester have been more successful than us in recent years both on the pitch and more importantly in relation to the connection with their fans. And for me it is stating the bleeding obvious.
We can learn a hell of a lot from Leicester City. Hats off to them.

Last edited:

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Arsenal have a few FA Cups in the last 6 years.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Strange how the league cup is considered tin pot but the FA Cup isn't

I'm sure neither Mourinho nor Guardiola would class it as such given both have had far more success in it than in the FA Cup

McTerminator

Terrible thread.

wall of text and clear bias resulting in mental acrobatics the olympics would be proud of, which makes it unreadable.

was hoping for a good thread about how Brendan Rogers may have been correct to call Leicester the club of the people.

Very disappointing.

Ranchero

Strange how the league cup is considered tin pot but the FA Cup isn't

I'm sure neither Mourinho nor Guardiola would class it as such given both have had far more success in it than in the FA Cup
Okay, if you don't consider the League Cup as tin pot. A Prem title and an FA Cup trumps a Europa League and a League Cup.

RedDevilzFox

Pretty much every cup but PL and UCL is a tin pot cup created for cash grab more or less. So yes Lester have been more successful but not because they won the FA cup today.

Its going to be unpopular opinion, but ask yourselves, what does it signify if you win league up or FA cup? PL decides the league champion, UCL decides the European champion. What does FA cup or Europa decide?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I think it's only fair to wait until the season's over before trophy counts are used as the basis for discussion.
do we think that's what the underlining point of this thread is all about? Because if it is then yeah stupid timing given we're in a final ourselves in a couple of weeks

el3mel

Ok but this has nothing to do with United. We're already one of the league elites and we have finished outside top 6 only once last 8 years or so.

Dr. Mowinckel

Pretty much every cup but PL and UCL is a tin pot cup created for cash grab more or less. So yes Lester have been more successful but not because they won the FA cup today.
Yeah, I'm sure the creation of the FA Cup in 1871 was a "cashgrab" to exploit the riches that were flowing throughout football in that time. What a ridiculous comment.

Its going to be unpopular opinion, but ask yourselves, what does it signify if you win league up or FA cup? PL decides the league champion, UCL decides the European champion. What does FA cup or Europa decide?
Well you describe a league winner as a league champion, so even within this rather narrow view of title significance, it would seem rather obvious that the FA cup winner is then a cup champion.

stevoc

The conceit of United and the gang of six Prem clubs joining up with the so-called elite to form a Euro Super League was further exposed as an abomination as Leicester City picked up its second major trophy is five years. Yes TWO. United, taking the tin pot League Cup out of it have managed on - the Europa League. Leicester now have a title and an FA Cup.
Indeed, the Foxes now have the same number of trophies over that period than two members of the gang of six, Arsenal and Spurs, put together. Except that it is a Prem title and an FA Cup against two FA Cups. So the Foxes win.
Further the Foxes' ownership is the kind of ownership we can only dream about. Foreign owners who care. Who the fans know. Who turn up for matches. Who communicate.
There is a way forward for United, but not if we hold on to the past. That has gone. We have to face up to it. Leicester have been more successful than us in recent years both on the pitch and more importantly in relation to the connection with their fans. And for me it is stating the bleeding obvious.
So by your estimation Leicester won two major trophies in the last 5 years, yes?

Premier League 2016
FA Cup 2021

But United have won only one major trophy in the last 5 years, yes?

FA Cup 2016
League Cup 2017 (Yes it's as much of a major trophy as the FA Cup.)
Europa League 2017

:lol:

Poppycock indeed.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Came in here looking clip art. I'm leaving disappointed.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
...alright

I don't think we needed Leicester winning the FA Cup to expose the Euro Super League for what was. Seems like a bit of a superfluous thread, to be honest. I didn't see too many people defeding the Super League, and i don't see what Leicester winning the FA Cup had to do with it. Everyone agreed that is was all a load of "poppycock.".

We didn't need Leicester to "expose" anything.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Lessons learnt: we need to find Thai owners? The current King or the founder of Red Bull?

This is heart warming though:

Last edited:

redrobed

So by your estimation Leicester won two major trophies in the last 5 years, yes?

Premier League 2016
FA Cup 2021

But United have won only one major trophy in the last 5 years, yes?

FA Cup 2016
League Cup 2017 (Yes it's as much of a major trophy as the FA Cup.)
Europa League 2017

:lol:

Poppycock indeed.
How on earth is the league cup as major a trophy as the FA Cup? I mean no offence but I’ve never met anyone with this belief and I’m genuinely curious as to the reasoning.

Regardless, we’re much bigger than Leicester and I don’t think we need to provide logic to prove it

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Winning the FA Cup should get you CL above finishing 4th in the league - my unpopular opinion.

RedDevilzFox

Yeah, I'm sure the creation of the FA Cup in 1871 was a "cashgrab" to exploit the riches that were flowing throughout football in that time. What a ridiculous comment.

Well you describe a league winner as a league champion, so even within this rather narrow view of title significance, it would seem rather obvious that the FA cup winner is then a cup champion.
Cup champion of what exactly? League champion obviously means you are the best in the league.

stevoc

How on earth is the league cup as major a trophy as the FA Cup? I mean no offence but I’ve never met anyone with this belief and I’m genuinely curious as to the reasoning.

Regardless, we’re much bigger than Leicester and I don’t think we need to provide logic to prove it
Well the FA Cup has more history and is I imagine still considered more prestigious by most but in practical terms they're basically the same competition. The same teams playing in virtually the same format with the same reward for the winner. A trophy and a place in the Europa League.

Ok you could say one's more major than the other if it makes you happy but my point was they're both major trophies. They're not the FA Vase or the Auto Windscreens Shield.

Foxbatt

Lessons learnt: we need to find Thai owners? The current King or the founder of Red Bull?

This is heart warming though:

It also means a lot to the country of Thailand. Khun Top is a young man and was a Polo player. I was there when they won the PL and there was a party on the streets. Red Bull could be trouble because of the death of a policeman but the King is very rich but I think he is only interested in having a good life.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
It also means a lot to the country of Thailand. Khun Top is a young man and was a Polo player. I was there when they won the PL and there was a party on the streets. Red Bull could be trouble because of the death of a policeman but the King is very rich but I think he is only interested in having a good life.
The King of Thailand it is then. At United is all about the good life. The recent social gatherings outside the stadium is a testament to that.

Cloud7

I thought this was gonna be another thread laughing at Spurs for being part of the super league

justsomebloke

SL was never about who's done well, it was about being a big club: fans, commercial value. If you're doing something like the ESL, that's how you need to think. Arsenal and Spurs are big, Leicester aren't. Trophies or no trophies. No one ever pretended these were the six BEST clubs. One look at the league table showed that.

Last edited:

pacifictheme

A very miserable way of looking at football. Guessing you are young.

If you aren't the post is even weider.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

It still mean something if compared to winning nothing

Nobody can argue that CL>PL >>> FA/League

but when you won non of the former, having an FA/League is still a trophy.

Those "tin Pots' made up half of our history as a club

LoneStar

the Super league is about who brings in the most revenue
This. End the thread. Those who wanted the Super League don't care about trophies won. Leicester won't bring in as much money as the top 6.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Okay, if you don't consider the League Cup as tin pot. A Prem title and an FA Cup trumps a Europa League and a League Cup.
Why are you taking trophies out?

United have won the FA Cup, League Cup and Europa League in the same time that Leicester have won the PL and FA Cup, and if we let this season finish before making this thread then United may have won 2 Europa Leagues, 1 FA Cup and 1 League Cup in that time. That will have been 4 trophies in 8 years in United's worst period for 30 years.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
It's mostly about fanbase in the super league. Arsenal still has way more than Leicester.