Leon Bailey

United Pro

He's a Jamaican footballer who can play, from what I've seen, any of the forward positions for Genk. He was very impressive last season and he has continued that form onto this season (he's just turned 19 last month.) He is a pacy, left footed player who can easily skim past 2/3 opposition players and his play style can be compared to a mix of Mahrez, Gabigol and Sane.

Here's a video of him last season:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Wow he looks fantastic. My first thoughts were he reminds me of a young Bale. His speed is excellent but his technique is and footwork is very good for such a quick player, that's usually quite rare. Looks like he can use his right foot too, for a leftie that's an anomaly too!

No doubt he's probably quite inconsistent but a quick left footed winger with good skill and can cross is hard to find these days, I hope our scouts have their eyes open.

United Pro

Wow he looks fantastic. My first thoughts were he reminds me of a young Bale. His speed is excellent but his technique is and footwork is very good for such a quick player, that's usually quite rare. Looks like he can use his right foot too, for a leftie that's an anomaly too!

No doubt he's probably quite inconsistent but a quick left footed winger with good skill and can cross is hard to find these days, I hope our scouts have their eyes open.
Yeah what impressed me is his blend of speed and technical ability and at the highest level, that's what really differentiates the top wingers from the decent ones.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yeah what impressed me is his blend of speed and technical ability and at the highest level, that's what really differentiates the top wingers from the decent ones.
Yep, lots of quick players about but not many have the technique to go with it. He keeps the ball quite close when dribbling at high speed too which is very rare. Definitely somebody to watch in the future. Would love a player like him on our right/left wing.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
He's good. Attitude and decision making lets him down sometimes but that's to be expected from a 19 year old. I think he did well to stay at Genk for another year before moving to another club. If he keeps developing like he has been since he arrived, he could become a great winger for a top club.

Scored an absolute belter as well in the EL yesterday, smashed it right in the top left corner from 20+ metres out.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's very good, he'll definitely move to a bigger club this summer.
Ajax was close to signing but when we got out the CL the deal blew off, should cost around 15 million max.
His agent is his 'foster-father' and is very shady... He was all over his Facebook account citing precedent over sport law as a means to Bailey out of his contract if Genk tried to kibosh the deal. :lol:

I think his teammate, 19 year old central midfielder Wilfred Ndidi is another one to watch. May even go on to become the better footballer.

pascell

Some of his dribbling and skills are very similar to Nani, then in other parts of the video his dribbling is just like Bale. Lacks a bit of composure in front of goal but I'm sure that'll sort itself out, great talent.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Love to see a young Jamaican player doing big things in Europe. Hopefully he waits before joining a big club.

DWelbz19

Whats the full story behind him living illegally in Belgium, disappearing, and then being signed to a Slovakian club?
It's quite bizarre, and I only really got the gist from a friend who supports Genk.

From what I've made out, his (once again) very shady 'foster-father' Mr Butler faked some sort of kidnapping, which went awry and then fled the country a few years back. Genk sporting director (was youth coach at the time) Dimtri De Conde took in Leon Bailey (and his younger half brother Kyle Butler) and provided for them whilst they played in the youth team. Bailey ended up getting evicted from the country after the fake kidnapping stuff; leading to him ending up in Slovakia. After Mr Butler (shady guy again) was allowed back into Belgium, Leon ended up back at Genk.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
It's quite bizarre, and I only really got the gist from a friend who supports Genk.

From what I've made out, his (once again) very shady 'foster-father' Mr Butler faked some sort of kidnapping, which went awry and then fled the country a few years back. Genk sporting director (was youth coach at the time) Dimtri De Conde took in Leon Bailey (and his younger half brother Kyle Butler) and provided for them whilst they played in the youth team. Bailey ended up getting evicted from the country after the fake kidnapping stuff; leading to him ending up in Slovakia. After Mr Butler (shady guy again) was allowed back into Belgium, Leon ended up back at Genk.
Fecking hell, they'll be a movie about that in a few years.

dr.twinny

The likes of Chelsea, Leicester and Dortmund were reportedly after him in the summer, so I'm sure they along with other big clubs will be in for him next time.

@DWelbz19 Didn't hear he wanted to represent the Belgium national team. I know our national football programme has been a shambles for a long time, but I hope he sticks with us.

Both Leon and Kyle signed with Doyen Sports earlier this year, so I don't know if Craig Butler is still in the picture if we were to try sign either of them.

flash F.C.

If united wants to buy him... Should let usain bolt speak to him... Usain is massive united fan and can convince him

DWelbz19

How would that be possible? He has already represented Jamaica's u-23 team and I doubt he is even close to getting his Belgium citizenship.
Honestly, I'm not sure. That was my exact response to my Belgian friend when he told me that. We'll see. Does playing for a youth set up when you're in your teens like he was make it easier? I honestly have little clue.

@dr.twinny - I didn't actually know that. No doubt he still keeps his paws stuck in pies, though. :D

United Pro

How would that be possible? He has already represented Jamaica's u-23 team and I doubt he is even close to getting his Belgium citizenship.
I think in terms of the U-23 games for Jamaica, only if he were capped by the Jamaican first team would he not be permitted to play for other nations. I think players who have stayed 5 years or more at a country and haven't been capped internationally by the country of the player's nationality can play for the country the player has stayed in. I'd suspect if Bailey stays in Belgium for a about 4 more years, he can be capped by them, but I'd doubt he'd want to wait that long.

3KDré

These are the types of signings we should be going for. I love signing big players but I prefer unearthing some gems. He looks rapid and two footed to boot. Could play on our right wing.

DWelbz19

I think in terms of the U-23 games for Jamaica, only if he were capped by the Jamaican first team would he not be permitted to play for other nations. I think players who have stayed 5 years or more at a country and haven't been capped internationally by the country of the player's nationality can play for the country the player has stayed in. I'd suspect if Bailey stays in Belgium for a about 4 more years, he can be capped by them, but I'd doubt he'd want to wait that long.
He's been there for 3 years, so it's another 2. He was there from 2013-15 as a youth player.

Lawman

These are the types of signings we should be going for. I love signing big players but I prefer unearthing some gems. He looks rapid and two footed to boot. Could play on our right wing.
Eventually I agree but right now we need ready made stars imo. Griezman would be good.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Jamaica have some real talent in him and Rolando Aarons. Aarons has real potential but he seems to get one serious injury after another. If he were fitter for more of last season he would have never gone down to the Championship with Newcastle.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Jamaica have some real talent in him and Rolando Aarons. Aarons has real potential but he seems to get one serious injury after another. If he were fitter for more of last season he would have never gone down to the Championship with Newcastle.
Heard of him before, he plays for England but he's born in Jamaica like Sterling.

DWelbz19

Scored again today in his sides somewhat freak win vs Sassuolo.

dr.twinny

Officially nominated for the UEFA Golden Ball award. I'm happy for him. Not sure he's close to winning it but it's an amazing achievement for him where he's coming from.

And he still hasn't been called up by the senior squad. Absolutely ridiculous.