Leon Bailey

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Aside from Pulisic being the obvious talent we should go for in the Bundesliga, that Amine Harit kid also looks more impressive than Bailey
Despite the fact that Bailey has been better than both? It is quite possible Bailey ends the season as Bundesliga Player of the Season.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Despite the fact that Bailey has been better than both? It is quite possible Bailey ends the season as Bundesliga Player of the Season.
His output is impressive currently, but I also think he's overhyped. There's reasonable doubt about his underlying tactical and technical quality. I certainly would wait for another year before spending the money on him Leverkusen will likely demand.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Let's down hm, left footed winger :drool::drool::drool::drool:
Doesn't look as good as the hype I read about. Apears to be more about goals , strength and pace and less about technical ability in tight spaces. Could be wrong of course given its just a short clip.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
it's not, what twisted logic are you applying here?
Not what? He said exactly what you said the rule is, he just worded it badly. Like I said, in his sentence right before he words it better saying you need either one grandparent or parent. Which is exactly what you said. Why are you seemingly ignoring the previous sentence to focus on poor wording?

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Doesn't look as good as the hype I read about. Apears to be more about goals , strength and pace and less about technical ability in tight spaces. Could be wrong of course given its just a short clip.
Exactly what I (and many others) think. I don't think there's much room for him to approve, and I think he will have a short peak and an early decline. Happy to be proven wrong, but that's my current feel about him.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Not what? He said exactly what you said the rule is, he just worded it badly. Like I said, in his sentence right before he words it better saying you need either one grandparent or parent. Which is exactly what you said. Why are you seemingly ignoring the previous sentence to focus on poor wording?
I just don't see how he worded it badly. The way he worded it it sound like the polar opposite. It looks more like the sentence before he makes a statement that is true, just to come up with a completely contradictory statement the sentence after that. Remember that English is his mother tongue, there shouldn't be any translation issues here.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I just don't see how he worded it badly. The way he worded it it sound like the polar opposite. It looks more like the sentence before he makes a statement that is true, just to come up with a completely contradictory statement the sentence after that. Remember that English is his mother tongue, there shouldn't be any translation issues here.
Well depending on how you read it, the two sentences are the exact same. It doesn't matter what his mother tongue is, you think everyone speaks perfect English? I can assure you they don't.

"Bailey was not born in the UK, and therefore could only qualify for England by virtue of having an English-born parent or and English-born grandparent. Great grandparents do not count. Great-great-great-great grandparents also do not count. If one of your FOUR grandparents or TWO parents is not English born, you WILL NOT QUALIFY FOR ENGLAND BY ANCESTRY. Again, FIFA rules are very clear here."

You can easily read that to say you need one to be English born to qualify. If one isn't English born then you won't qualify. It makes perfect sense depending on how you want to read it. Honestly, its pretty clear what he is saying, especially when you read the whole paragraph.

RedTiger

Half mast
Well depending on how you read it, the two sentences are the exact same. It doesn't matter what his mother tongue is, you think everyone speaks perfect English? I can assure you they don't.

"Bailey was not born in the UK, and therefore could only qualify for England by virtue of having an English-born parent or and English-born grandparent. Great grandparents do not count. Great-great-great-great grandparents also do not count. If one of your FOUR grandparents or TWO parents is not English born, you WILL NOT QUALIFY FOR ENGLAND BY ANCESTRY. Again, FIFA rules are very clear here."

You can easily read that to say you need one to be English born to qualify. If one isn't English born then you won't qualify. It makes perfect sense depending on how you want to read it. Honestly, its pretty clear what he is saying, especially when you read the whole paragraph.
Yep. It's pretty clear what he meant and they are the correct rules. If one of your parents or grandparents were born on English soil then you qualify. Jamaica before 1958 was English soil.

onemanarmy

He was one of the best player in Belgium at his time there. Certainly, the best youth player ahead of the likes of Tielemans and Ndidi. I think he’s destined for the top, personally. His growth from his time at Genk to current play at Leverkusen is about as expected. No doubt he’ll need to make the step up on a tactical level but I think it'll come with time.
He has the ability, we'll just have to see how bad of an influence his entourage is. It wasn't always very pretty while at Genk.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
He was one of the best player in Belgium at his time there. Certainly, the best youth player ahead of the likes of Tielemans and Ndidi. I think he’s destined for the top, personally. His growth from his time at Genk to current play at Leverkusen is about as expected. No doubt he’ll need to make the step up on a tactical level but I think it'll come with time.
*sometimes

cyberman

England would be stupid not to persue this.
Bailey and Kane linking up would be ridiculous, world cup winning potential.

cyberman

Lesser attacks have won world cups.
Aguero underperforms for them while Messi keeps Dybala out anyway.
A Leon Bailey that reaches his potential who feeds the best number 9 in the world would carry any side through a tournament. Add in Sancho (sp ) Gomes etc?
The potential in that group would be scary. France-esque if they progress as they should.

Classical Mechanic

Lesser attacks have won world cups.
Aguero underperforms for them while Messi keeps Dybala out anyway.
A Leon Bailey that reaches his potential who feeds the best number 9 in the world would carry any side through a tournament. Add in Sancho (sp ) Gomes etc?
The potential in that group would be scary. France-esque if they progress as they should.
Ahh, you mean some years in the future when Kane is 28, 2022?

cyberman

@Classical Mechanic
Yep, I think it's a bit late in the day to be starting untested twenty year olds with the world cup a few months away.
But its Southgate so who knows

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
He's certainly doing well right now but you will have to wait to see how he does the following season to see if he can fulfill the hype. He'l get more attention from defenders and also managers will analyze his play to find weaknesses.

Will be interesting to see how concrete other teams interest will be in him. Brandt seemed a clear target for Bayern but his lack of form has dwindled some of that, maybe they can see Bailey replace Robben; very similar playing style.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
He's certainly doing well right now but you will have to wait to see how he does the following season to see if he can fulfill the hype. He'l get more attention from defenders and also managers will analyze his play to find weaknesses.

Will be interesting to see how concrete other teams interest will be in him. Brandt seemed a clear target for Bayern but his lack of form has dwindled some of that, maybe they can see Bailey replace Robben; very similar playing style.
I hope not. There’s better players for less money around. Certainly ones with less questions about their potential.

stepic

Southgate wouldn’t choose him anyway if he’s not been involved in the England set up until now.

Cliche Guevara

From what I can see the rules state a parent or grandparent has to be born in the territory of the FA.

That would say to me they had to be born specifically in England.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I hope not. There’s better players for less money around. Certainly ones with less questions about their potential.
Well yes I agree, he has to show his ability for more than one season. But, Sane comes to mind when I think of having doubts over a player with only one high level season. Bayern lost out on him because they didn't feel his fee was justified after one good season and I'm sure they regret not taking the risk now. Bailey may end up being a similar 'what if' situation if a big club signs him from under their noses and he ends up a great player.

Which other players of a similar age group would you deem being better and of less money?

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Well yes I agree, he has to show his ability for more than one season. But, Sane comes to mind when I think of having doubts over a player with only one high level season. Bayern lost out on him because they didn't feel his fee was justified after one good season and I'm sure they regret not taking the risk now. Bailey may end up being a similar 'what if' situation if a big club signs him from under their noses and he ends up a great player.

Which other players of a similar age group would you deem being better and of less money?
For the fee Sane demanded I would Ulf Bailey. He has got an English Premium tagged onto him though. So players who are better (and most certainly cheaper): Werner, Guedes and Oyarbazal, just of the top of my head. All of them likely available next summer.

Lawman

Was under the illusion City bid far more for Sane than Bayern thought worth and Bayern backed right out. Maybe I’m wrong but not much you can do when blown out the water financially.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
For the fee Sane demanded I would Ulf Bailey. He has got an English Premium tagged onto him though. So players who are better (and most certainly cheaper): Werner, Guedes and Oyarbazal, just of the top of my head. All of them likely available next summer.
Werner plays a completely different position, you wouldn't think he'd be a replacement for Robben (unless you plan on playing Muller on the right long term and play Werner as the ST).

I doubt Bailey would cost Sane type money, I think Sane had more hype at that point because he was German and had made a bit of a name for himself from the previous season while Bailey has only become a household name in Germany now. Goncalo Guedes is having a great season himself but I don't know if he'l be cheaper than Bailey since he is more of a known name in Europe. How much do you think Bailey would cost in the summer?

Was under the illusion City bid far more for Sane than Bayern thought worth and Bayern backed right out. Maybe I’m wrong but not much you can do when blown out the water financially.
City did bid more, and Bayern didn't think he's worth that price so backed out. In hindsight I think even the Bayern board will now say he was worth that much.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Werner plays a completely different position, you wouldn't think he'd be a replacement for Robben (unless you plan on playing Muller on the right long term and play Werner as the ST).

I doubt Bailey would cost Sane type money, I think Sane had more hype at that point because he was German and had made a bit of a name for himself from the previous season while Bailey has only become a household name in Germany now. Goncalo Guedes is having a great season himself but I don't know if he'l be cheaper than Bailey since he is more of a known name in Europe. How much do you think Bailey would cost in the summer?

City did bid more, and Bayern didn't think he's worth that price so backed out. In hindsight I think even the Bayern board will now say he was worth that much.
Everyone is aware that PL clubs are wanking themselves silly over Bailey. Leverkusen won’t let him go under 80 Million €. If he gets called up for England, we are looking at 100+.

You also don’t seem to know Werner. Werner absolutely can play the Robben position. He’s regularly done that and looks incredible while doing so. It’s not really relevant anyway, since systems can change and you won’t find an identical player to Robben anyway.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
If he's eligible for England then they should persue him. Italy won the WC with Argentinians on board and they currently have a Brazilian in midfield.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Everyone is aware that PL clubs are wanking themselves silly over Bailey. Leverkusen won’t let him go under 80 Million €. If he gets called up for England, we are looking at 100+.

You also don’t seem to know Werner. Werner absolutely can play the Robben position. He’s regularly done that and looks incredible while doing so. It’s not really relevant anyway, since systems can change and you won’t find an identical player to Robben anyway.
I know Werner played as a RW for Stuttgart but I do not think he was great in that role. Obviously he shone initially when he came through but then he didn't do anything special for the next two seasons and was wasn't even a consistent starter by the end. It was only when he was moved to a striker at RBL that he really showed consistent potential to be a world class player. Playing him as a RW (or LW) would be a complete waste of his talents, I feel.

EDIT: I'd also be very surprised if any big club accepts to pay 80 ME for Bailey, I don't feel he's worth anywhere near that right now (though we will see how he performs by the end of the season). Right now 50ME should be his figure.

Last edited:

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
I know Werner played as a RW for Stuttgart but I do not think he was great in that role. Obviously he shone initially when he came through but then he didn't do anything special for the next two seasons and was wasn't even a consistent starter by the end. It was only when he was moved to a striker at RBL that he really showed consistent potential to be a world class player. Playing him as a RW (or LW) would be a complete waste of his talents, I feel.

EDIT: I'd also be very surprised if any big club accepts to pay 80 ME for Bailey, I don't feel he's worth anywhere near that right now (though we will see how he performs by the end of the season). Right now 50ME should be his figure.
So we are on the same page. He’s not worth that much money. But I assure you, these are the figures we will see for him. We are already seeing them. Bad Leverkusen doesn’t give a feck, they will get that money. Just a few days ago they compared him to Dembele.

Werners performance drop at Stuttgart had nothing to do with his position by the way (a position he has time and time again played for Leipizig) but more with Stuttgart itself. Terribly managed club.

Lawman

Yeah thought that but agree he’s worth double that now as he’s a fantastic young player (reminds me of a young Giggs with a touch of Henry class).
But on a side note much like Sane it depends who is in for Leon Bailley to really determine his value.