Leon Bailey

beingshe7don

Because we have Tahith Chong who I believe has even more potential in comparison and he will show that very soon in the first team.
I would definitely like to see Tahith Chong be given a run for minutes against the lower sides in the dying minutes of the game. Probably in the 85th min to just run against and attack. But first, He needs to get a haircut.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Because we have Tahith Chong who I believe has even more potential in comparison and he will show that very soon in the first team.
How did you make that comparison?

Are 9 goals and blistering displays in the Bundesliga and 5 goals in the U18s/u23s in anyway comparable?

Im all for giving youth a chance but I think people get lulled into believing every youth product will be a world beater.

I’d wager Gomes will have a better United career than Chong, who for me though exciting is still very raw technically.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi

Are 9 goals and blistering displays in the Bundesliga and 5 goals in the U18s/u23s in anyway comparable?

Im all for giving youth a chance but I think people get lulled into believing every youth product will be a world beater.

I’d wager Gomes will have a better United career than Chong, who for me though exciting is still very raw technically.
Yeah it is so silly.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

I'm not sure how you come to the conclusion that Chong is raw technically? If anything that's his strong point...

I made that comparison because imo Chong is a better dribbler with the ball glued to his foot when he's in full flight. He also could quite easily play behind the striker as a central attacker due to his impressive play making skills through the middle. Bailey is decent as a dribbler in comparison but quite erratic in that regard and I don't see him having the same sort of versatility either when compared to Chong.The only thing Bailey has over Chong is physicality and experience due to being more than two years older.

But no matter what I say you'll point to Chong being in the reserves at 18 and Bailey who is two years older playing for Leverkusen in the Bundesliga. But I'm sticking my neck out and believe, due to the above reasons, Chong will eclipse Bailey.

Chong has outperformed Gomes whenever they've been on the pitch together. Gomes has been a peripheral figure in the two u-23 games thus far and needs to show alot more than what we've seen so far. Chong has more strings to his bow in comparison to Gomes and he's a player that is exciting to watch when he's in full flow.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
It's also silly making posts about potential incomings who would cost in excess of £60m when we may have the solution already at the club...
You are going to be disappointed over and over again if you think every guy out of our academy is going to be World Class. And even if they are the real deal they are going to have to fight off major signings. Even sides like Ajax do not just hand first team positions to academy players.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
You are going to be disappointed over and over again if you think every guy out of our academy is going to be World Class. And even if they are the real deal they are going to have to fight off major signings. Even sides like Ajax do not just hand first team positions to academy players.
I've never endorsed a player from the Academy before to make the step up and was quite surprised even when Rashford was promoted. So please stop making assumptions about me.

Kostov

Whenever I've watched them play for the youth teams, Chong has impressed me more than Gomes. Of course that doesn't mean Chong will have a better career, but he certainly looks as talented.

bucky

I don't really find the time to watch the reserves or u18s anymore, but that seems a very bold claim. Either way, it would be difficult to fit Bailey in. He's very good though.

poleglass red

similar sentiment can be applied to players who look impressive in the bundesliga.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
Obviously is not the end all be all but, I remember him having the second highest Whoscored rating in the Bundesliga during his last season at Hoffenheim.
Which is of course also why Liverpool's transfer committee signed him.

My point is rather, contrary to the attitude displayed by the previous poster, attackers moving from BuLi to PL tend to blossom more than expected.

Classical Mechanic

Obviously is not the end all be all but, I remember him having the second highest Whoscored rating in the Bundesliga during his last season at Hoffenheim.
Yeah, he was pretty hyped when he arrived here, it has taken him until this season to really look like one of the top players in the league. Looking back at his last season in Germany on whoscored, he was the 4th highest rated player for the season with 16 goals and 11 assists in 33 games with a 7.94 rating for the season. He has 12 goals and 6 assists in 23 games this season in the PL with a rating of 7.41 and is 12th on the rating. Looks like its his dribbling that has decreased a lot which will affect his rating on that site but he plays as a false 9 now.

Fer

Do you think Bailey is (or can be) as good as Sane, Salah, etc?

poleglass red

Like De Bruyne, Firminio, Sane
my point exactly, just like every kid that comes through our youth system isn't guaranteed to be a star, every played that does well in the bundesliga isn't guaranteed to be a star in pl. You yourself said "You are going to be disappointed over and over again if you think every guy out of our academy is going to be World Class". You made that comment to someone in regards to promoting a very talented youth product for someone doing well in Germany who by the way is far from being the finished article and will cost a lot of money.
We've seen in recent season throwing money at players doesn't always work. We have to look from within in conjunction with paying big money, right now we don't. I don't see this lad Bailey ever being a top class player, I think he's good, but we shouldn't be paying big money for that type of player. I'd rather see one of our won get a legit shot first. Buy world class talent by all means, or world class potential, this lad is neither

AP88

Supports
Man City

I think Greenwood will eclipse both.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Have to say from what I've seen of Leverkusen this season I really like the look of Alario upfront for them.

Debut season for them and he has 7 goals in 18 games which isn't too bad.

Has he potential to follow path of likes of Berbatov for those who've seen him more?

Bestietom

Both Chong and Gomes has great potential but I would like to see them play with the first team before I judge them. I have seen both play with academy and they are both very skillful. I will be keeping an eye out for how they progress.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Update : He's a flop

Thank god we didn't spend absurd cash on him.
I don't think that this is a fair assessment based on this season. Leverkusen is a mess at the moment and most of their players look worse than they are. They should compete with Leipzig/Gladbach for a top4 finish and Euroleague qualification should be the minimum. Herrlich is a bad coach and should get sacked asap.

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
Random bump. Leverkussen were struggling this season and replaced their manager mid season (on a 9th place ranking) with Peter Bosz as their new manager who managed to finish 4th. Leon Bailey had intrest from clubs like Chelsea, 22 year old, pacy and left footed who can play on the right too. Surprised things have gone quiet this season in terms of transfer rumours. Any followers of the Bundesliga who can give an analysis of his season and development?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Random bump. Leverkussen were struggling this season and replaced their manager with Peter Bos, finishing 4th. Leon Bailey had intrest from clubs like Chelsea, 19 year old, pacy and left footed who can play on the right too. Surprised things have gone quiet this season in terms of transfer rumours. Any followers of the Bundesliga who can give an analysis of his season and development?
He will be 22 this year.

izec

Random bump. Leverkussen were struggling this season and replaced their manager mid season (on a 9th place ranking) with Peter Bosz as their new manager who managed to finish 4th. Leon Bailey had intrest from clubs like Chelsea, 19 year old, pacy and left footed who can play on the right too. Surprised things have gone quiet this season in terms of transfer rumours. Any followers of the Bundesliga who can give an analysis of his season and development?
Best to probably ask a Leverkusen fan @Zehner

I havent seen him often this season, when i turned on, he usually wasnt playing. I assume he is inconsistent and last season a lot of things worked out in his favour, while this season not everything goes in.

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
Best to probably ask a Leverkusen fan @Zehner

I havent seen him often this season, when i turned on, he usually wasnt playing. I assume he is inconsistent and last season a lot of things worked out in his favour, while this season not everything goes in.
I found an article from three months gives insight in my question. He was rated as a prospect given a 100m price tag.

Here is the article for those interested.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/what-h...target-leon-bailey/1qg7tly50igz012ndqgtlemqy1

Ooge_

Supports
Werder
I think Bailey is good role-player, but not a AAA-rated Talent. His pace is very good, his left foot stands out and he has a good drive to score. Other than that, i don´t see something special. He reminds me on Shaqiri.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Yup i'll never forget how he made fun of some boxer on twatter. And the the guy confronted him on the streets :lol:
I saw this thread get bumped like a half hour ago and my natural reaction was to go onto YouTube and watch the video of the boxer confronting him :lol:

I just can't stop associating Bailey so heavily with that incident.