Leon Goretzka

youngrell

And Bayern got him for free, while we go and spend 50m for a player like Fred. There are other example like Sule and Davies also, that's what a proper team building and planning looks like.
It’s not quite as easy when you don’t have the monopoly in your league.

Bayern do great work but they are helped massively by their status in Germany over other teams. They can even cherry pick from their nearest rivals.

Vernon Philander

Great attributes all round, barring pace (which is overrated). Him and Kimmich are quite a duo, and also why we shouldn't write off Matic who I think is more of their mould than any other.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
TBF Goretzka's ability on the ball is leagues ahead of McT. His physique might give the perception of the archetypal limited box-to-box midfielder but he is extremely skilful and has excellent technique.
The difference in technical ability is too great for him to properly be able to copy him.
True. It's just my wishful thinking.

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Bayern do great work but they are helped massively by their status in Germany over other teams. They can even cherry pick from their nearest rivals.
Yep, when you're the clear favourite and win the league 9/10 times they all want to play for you. Even their biggest rivals don't seem to get the hatred for them like United/Liverpool etc.

It also helps that their squad is always full of talented players, so they can bide their time and let their targets contracts run low to force either a free transfer or a low fee.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Reminded me so much of Javi Martinez in the 2013 final. Asserting his dominance as the game went on.
I had the same thought. Also Goretzka has a way better technique and is a far bigger goal threat.

But Javi... what a guy! Won the treble in his first year at Bayern and leaves with another treble. :lol:

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
But Javi... what a guy! Won the treble in his first year at Bayern and leaves with another treble. :lol:
Not bad. But what about Alvaro? Won BuLi, La Liga and the CL in one season. Try beating that.

RUCK4444

Yep, when you're the clear favourite and win the league 9/10 times they all want to play for you. Even their biggest rivals don't seem to get the hatred for them like United/Liverpool etc.

It also helps that their squad is always full of talented players, so they can bide their time and let their targets contracts run low to force either a free transfer or a low fee.
This is true. They can generally win their league without having the huge pressure to continue improving every single transfer window, unlike the PL.

They have the pull to attract top players and the circumstances to wait until they get a deal that suits them.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal

Yeah, they got Lewandowski, Gnabry and Goretzka that way. It's a massive boost to a team to be able to get a quality player without paying. The invincibles wouldn't have been possible without Sol Campbell.

Hansinity

Supports
Bayern Munich

Definitely agree with that point. But it was not like Bayern was his only option though. Goretzka had many many offers from other top clubs ( Barca was highly interested), so was Lewy close to sign for Real Madrid for free.

Last edited:

youngrell

Definitely agree with that point. But it was not like Bayern was his only option though. Goretzka had many many offers from other top clubs ( Barca was highly interested), so was Lewy close to sign for Real Madrid for free.
That is true, but these were German based players so we're more likely to stay in Germany (unless they were Spanish or whatever).

Strelok

Absolutely top player. He's like a faster and more mobile version of prime Martinez.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Yeah, they got Lewandowski, Gnabry and Goretzka that way. It's a massive boost to a team to be able to get a quality player without paying. The invincibles wouldn't have been possible without Sol Campbell.
Gnabry was bought from Bremen and Goretzka came on a free from Schalke. Not exactly „rivals“.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Strength training at Bayern is something else. Goretzka, Lewandowski, Sule, Alaba, Boateng, Neuer, Davies are all monsters.

Even Coutinho filled out quite a bit in a year there
Mmm. Really impressive strength training.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Strength training at Bayern is something else. Goretzka, Lewandowski, Sule, Alaba, Boateng, Neuer, Davies are all monsters.

Even Coutinho filled out quite a bit in a year there
Any idea of what sort of things they're doing? I don't follow their official FB or any of the social media accounts of their players - would be interesting to know.

DarkLord

Joshua Kimmich and Thiago have also bulked up massively. Bayern probably has the best strength training regime in sports. Incredible.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Gnabry was bought from Bremen and Goretzka came on a free from Schalke. Not exactly „rivals“.
Yeah, I was talking about how they can get players without having to spend too much. Struggle to think if they've every spent more than 50m on a player. And I'd say they don't really have any rivals in Bundesliga. Dortmund are closest but are routinely losing their best players to Bayern and to others.

marktan

He's an absolute unit. He's impressed me technically though, covers ground and is good on the ball. Great type of player to have in the middle.

Not sure about all the bulking up though, in football usually that ends up being counter productive as it limits mobility and puts unnecessary strain on your legs. But if it works then why not.

Ekeke

Lots of running, some ball winning and scored a decent amount of goals for a CM. Does some dirty work so others dont need to do as much and gets on the end of things in the box. If he was playing for us posters would complain he isnt creative enough though

Frasbul

everclear is a cool band. yeah they still exist.

So, Greg Doucette just did a video about Leon Goretzka's body transformation. Greg is a pro bodybuilder and world record holder in bench press and deadlifts and is the hottest thing in the YT fitness industry right now. He really knows his stuff. He does this video series where he analyses whether people reached their physiques naturally or with the help of PEDs. Greg himself btw admits to being on HRT. He point-blank accuses Goretzka of using PEDs and I tend to agree with him. Anybody who works out knows how long it takes to build muscle. He did it way to quickly. What do you guys think?

Utdstar01

So, Greg Doucette just did a video about Leon Goretzka's body transformation. Greg is a pro bodybuilder and world record holder in bench press and deadlifts and is the hottest thing in the YT fitness industry right now. He really knows his stuff. He does this video series where he analyses whether people reached their physiques naturally or with the help of PEDs. Greg himself btw admits to being on HRT. He point-blank accuses Goretzka of using PEDs and I tend to agree with him. Anybody who works out knows how long it takes to build muscle. He did it way to quickly. What do you guys think?
Very possible. Depends how much muscle he gained in the time period.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Bayern did not dominate any midfield battle. They were slightly better.

In fact PSG created so many changes you could argue they should have won.

arthurka

DDG needs that Bayern's doctor.
Well they didn't do enough to please Pep.

Leo G has been in the making for years in Germany and everyone has been waiting for his exceptional talent to blossom into a world class player. He has played with the big boys since he was 17 years old with Bochum, took the right steps at the right time to up the levels and now looks to be claiming his highly anticipated spot at an elite level. He was always to good footballer but he has flourished at FCB and Flick has made him a pivotal player at the center of the park.

Bayern could pull this off but I am sure that other teams like Utd could have gotten him if they had acted earlier but Bayern have been on his case for years so nothing strange there every top German talent has 90% chance of ending up at Bayern.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord

This guy is an idiot.
Just the way he talks, can't listen to him at all.

Anyways the photo's he is comparing aren't 4 months apart. The ons on the left is from his first season, so once again, that guy us an idiot.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

Leo G has been in the making for years in Germany and everyone has been waiting for his exceptional talent to blossom into a world class player. He has played with the big boys since he was 17 years old with Bochum, took the right steps at the right time to up the levels and now looks to be claiming his highly anticipated spot at an elite level. He was always to good footballer but he has flourished at FCB and Flick has made him a pivotal player at the center of the park.

Bayern could pull this off but I am sure that other teams like Utd could have gotten him if they had acted earlier but Bayern have been on his case for years so nothing strange there every top German talent has 90% chance of ending up at Bayern.
Maybe Pep has his own team doctor?

Anyway. That's how professional Club should operate. Managers can come and go, and it doesn't affect the Club policy of targeted players. The Club have prepared and done the groundwork years ahead.

Amarsdd

This guy is an idiot.
Just the way he talks, can't listen to him at all.

Anyways the photo's he is comparing aren't 4 months apart. The ons on the left is from his first season, so once again, that guy us an idiot.
I have no clue if he's right or wrong but tbf to the annoying voiced muscle man in the video, he is not comparing the two pictures in the thumbnail.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City

We already had this discussion in another thread a couple of months ago. These "comparison" pictures are almost always useless if they're done in different pose with different body tension. Weird that the body builder guy doesn't reflect that, also should've done more research on Goretzka pictures if he dedicates a video to him.
I'll quite myself from the last discussion:
Meh, these "before - after" pictures are always completely useless when not done in a comparable pose. Of course a picture of him with no body tension at all will look thinner than one were he is throwing his arms up in the air. Biceps will always look way bigger when your arms are lifted backwards bent over your head. And facial analysis based on in-game pictures? We should probably conclude that Phil Jones is eating babys because he's looking like an Uruk Hai in certain situations.

I mean, I'm the biggest Bayern hater there is but I find it very doutbful that they tell one of their players to take steroids in a short mid-season window given all the side effects. Football is not American football, bulking up to no ends does not have benefits, every muscle mass a midfielder needs can be soundly achieved through normal training.

This is from a year ago btw:

I guess his steroids source dried up until Corona? EPO is the big thing in football, that I'm sure of. Stereoids? I don't really think so...
Not saying there's no way he took PEDs but the whole bulking up narrative did not happen over quarantine as you can see with the picture from over a year ago.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

I don't think he was going to sign for anyone but Bayern. It's not like other clubs didn't try, the links with Barcelona were particularly persistent and given that he left on a free eventually I'm sure half the European elite would've loved to sign him. The lad preferred to stay in Germany, Bayern did their homework/tapping up, so he was theirs alone.

I think all this steroid "debate" is a bit comical to be honest. First in the sense that people actually think they can judge this from fotos and secondly, because it's naive to think that this isn't a systemic issue, that other clubs and players are clean.

DRM

I want to look like him, what should I do?