Leon Goretzka

Mr Smith

Locatelli
Is he though? For Italy he seemed to play more like a box-to-box player; Jorginho was the deepest midfielder. Haven't watched him for Sassuolo so I don't necessarily know.

Back to Goretzka, on paper he's an amazing player, but I am a little concerned about whether he would be the right option if we were looking to replace Pogba; he seems less creative and more of a high-energy, goalscoring midfielder. I think I'm just really worried about losing and not supplementing Pogba's unique creativity if he goes.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I’m not about to read this essay. Pogba was one of United’s best players last season, especially from December onwards, even more consistent than Bruno. He’s a valued member of the squad, always spoken highly of by his peers, as well as his manager.

You said something about his attitude, and simply could not justify it, and you’ve been angling about agents since to slither your way out it. Peace be upon you.

Yeah, it’s not fans racially abusing players. It’s not the governing bodies ineptitude and turning a blind eye to clubs skirting supposed rules. it’s not the same governing bodies changing competitions formats to increase the number of matches to maximise profit regardless of what it will do to the level of competitiveness. it’s not VAR and it’s rules being inconsistent and/or changed at a whim. it’s not clubs being greedy with sky rocketing admission prices and trying to form their own profit driven super leagues.

It’s players getting agents that will fight their corner that’s everything ruining football as a sport.
Football greed and agents is what’s ruining the sport as a sport. The abhorrent racism isn’t something new, it’s an ongoing battle and has little to do with the difference in the game compared to 25 years ago.

Everything else you mentioned ties in with player and agent greed. Clubs and players alike are responsible for the mess the game is in as a financial playground.

RUCK4444

Is there any update on this one.

I’d like to see us go in strongly for him, even if it ultimately fails, we should try for the best available players.

Worst that can happen is we help force Bayern to up their wage offer for him.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I followed him for quite some time now and that’s my opinion. Obviously not Bayern HR talk, I really am no fan of this club..yet I know their hierarchy. They can’t afford someone like him earning as much as Lewandowski and Neuer. He’s not important enough to them, same case with Alaba - you know the outcome, right? At Bayern, only irreplaceable players earn the most. Neuer is arguably the best keeper of all time, at least obvious top 3, while Lewandowski just smashed the goal record that lasted decades and is most likely a top 3 #9 in recent times. They don’t deem Goretzka to be in that category and I understand that. Watch him leave Bayern and be pretty good but not a generational world class player like the two above.
Then the most advantage for him is to run down his contract, instead of sign in right now then?

He'll get the same salary offer as now from Bayern anyway, PLUS the sign in bonus.

Anywho, I really rate him, and i think Bayern have to spend 100m transfer fee plus big wage to get midfielder as good as him. So his high wage demand is reasonable.

Last edited:

The Irish Connection

Is he though? For Italy he seemed to play more like a box-to-box player; Jorginho was the deepest midfielder. Haven't watched him for Sassuolo so I don't necessarily know.

Back to Goretzka, on paper he's an amazing player, but I am a little concerned about whether he would be the right option if we were looking to replace Pogba; he seems less creative and more of a high-energy, goalscoring midfielder. I think I'm just really worried about losing and not supplementing Pogba's unique creativity if he goes.
Yes. He was played out of position for Italy.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
I followed him for quite some time now and that’s my opinion. Obviously not Bayern HR talk, I really am no fan of this club..yet I know their hierarchy. They can’t afford someone like him earning as much as Lewandowski and Neuer. He’s not important enough to them, same case with Alaba - you know the outcome, right? At Bayern, only irreplaceable players earn the most. Neuer is arguably the best keeper of all time, at least obvious top 3, while Lewandowski just smashed the goal record that lasted decades and is most likely a top 3 #9 in recent times. They don’t deem Goretzka to be in that category and I understand that. Watch him leave Bayern and be pretty good but not a generational world class player like the two above.
Well they backed themselves in a corner when they made Sane 3rd highest earner at the club now everyone will want more. According to what I found on google Sane is making £298,000, while Goretzka and Kimmich are making £175,000 can see why they’d want an increase.

Dominos

I've got a feeling we'll be all over this if Pogba is leaving. Last year of contract, Bayern struggling financially, we'll blow their offer on wages out the water.

SATA

There was a little snippet today by Luckhurst that United have the feeling we are being used by Goretzka’s reps for an improved contract at Bayern. That’s a no-go if it’s true

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I've got a feeling we'll be all over this if Pogba is leaving. Last year of contract, Bayern struggling financially, we'll blow their offer on wages out the water.
we already have

lex talionis

I just laughed this one off as another Ramos "link". Is there really any possible validity to this rumor?

If in fact there's a chance we can bring in Goretzka, oh fukking my. Prime Leon Goretzka, which we have before us right now, slots into any XI -- national or club, on the planet. He's just so fukking complete as a midfielder I'm not sure you could limit his description to either attacking, B2B or defensive. He does it all. Looking at the rumor mill it looks like the idea would be to replace Pogba and in all honesty I'd swap out Pogba for Goretzka without any hesitation. But if we did keep Pogba and brought in Goretzka (now that we've brought in Sancho and Varane) we can forget about Rice and watch the trophies fall from the sky. (I'd still like to bring in a prime top striker but we can't do it all...or can we?)

But I still refuse to believe there's anything real to this. It's one thing to bring in Sancho and Varane, but quite another to bring in arguably Bayern's best player in his prime.

Dominos

There was a little snippet today by Luckhurst that United have the feeling we are being used by Goretzka’s reps for an improved contract at Bayern. That’s a no-go if it’s true
The same snippets were said about Varane, that we were worried it was a repeat of the Ramos fiasco.

It's definitely possible he has zero intention of leaving Bayern, however I don't think you could rule out him coming here. Kroos left in similar circumstances, and us stealing one of Madrid's star players seemed just as unlikely but we've managed it.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The thing is, we all know Bayern's limit & the fact that they won't go higher than that — Alaba was more important to them and they didn't budge even for him. So Bayern is a bad club to play this game with.

SATA

The same snippets were said about Varane, that we were worried it was a repeat of the Ramos fiasco.

It's definitely possible he has zero intention of leaving Bayern, however I don't think you could rule out him coming here. Kroos left in similar circumstances, and us stealing one of Madrid's star players seemed just as unlikely but we've managed it.
I never had really any doubt with Varane, it’s been quite explicitly stated that he wants a new challenge in the PL and Zidane was gone as his manager. But with Goretzka i’m not so sure. Being German and playing for a top German club. We can only hope that the contract offer we have for him will turn his head

KennyBurner

Forget camavinga, this is the guy we want. Maybe we can even swap for Pogba if Bayern are stupid enough.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
The thing is, we all know Bayern's limit & the fact that they won't go higher than that — Alaba was more important to them and they didn't budge even for him. So Bayern is a bad club to play this game with.
I disagree with the notion that Alaba was more important to Bayern than Goretzka. Goretzka is their starter in midfield while Alaba would have probably been CB3 and LB2.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I think this is pretty obvious

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Breaking their wage structure on of all people Sane looked daft then and even dafter now.
I really loved him in the Prem. An old school left winger. Are they playing him on the right, you know?

Amarsdd

I think its the most obvious case of using United for an improved contract I've ever seen. Even the Ramos thing was more believable than this is.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Isn't Neuer on like 20m per year?
Neuer is on lower wages than de Gea.
I think its the most obvious case of using United for an improved contract I've ever seen. Even the Ramos thing was more believable than this is.
A bit rich complaining about being 'used' when you are the ones offering huge contracts to players of other clubs

Bertie Wooster

I'm a lot more relaxed / less convinced by any of the CM links so far than I have been about our other signings - as none of them seem particularly solid links or advanced.

So far this summer, it was obvious we definitely were after Heaton, Sancho and Varane, and so I've been desperate for them to get completed in time for the season. Which they all have, and that's great. :drool:

The Trippier link seems valid, and I think he's probably the only RB we'll try to bring in this summer. But I'm not sure how much we've tried so far as we've clearly been prioritising the Sancho and Varane deals. And now the Pogba situation is maybe making the CM issue key?

The CM links - Goretzka, Rice, Camavinga - I've been less invested in as I'm not sure how much validity is in them. And, even if we have some interest, I doubt any discussions have been too advanced while we sorted out the Sancho and Varane deals, and also with the uncertainty over whether Pogba will be in our CM or if we need to replace him instead of a DM. Also, I only wanted us to bring in a top quality DM and I wasn't as excited by the options in that department as I was by Sancho and Varane for those two positions, so they were the big ones to get done this summer.

I'm only now beginning to seriously consider the CM signing for this summer - mainly with the Pogba situation. I'm still not overly excited about any available DM's, but I'd really like Goretzka as a replacement for Pogba's #8 role should he leave. They're not identical, but I don't think there is a like for like for Pogba out there. But Goretzka would certainly contribute a lot for us with his all round game. I'd be surprised if it happened, but I initially felt the same about Varane so fingers crossed we can pull off another hugely impressive signing should we need to do so.

KennyBurner

This is who the Cafe thought Milinkovic savic was. Get him here already. Look at his first touch and how he moves so well with the ball. Neither mctominay nor savic are quite capable.

Amarsdd

A bit rich complaining about being 'used' when you are the ones offering huge contracts to players of other clubs
oh I didn't know the fans couldn't point out an obvious contract ploy because the club gave out a couple of big contracts (not even that huge in comparison to what Barca, Real and PSG give out).

Dominos

In cases where a star player has run their contract down to the last year, how often do they end up signing a new contract? I'm sure there will be examples either way, but I assume they've been trying to get him to sign a contract for the last 18+ months, we're now at 1 year left and half way through the summer transfer window and they've not come to an agreement.

The signs are very promising from our perspective.

Dominos

This is who the Cafe thought Milinkovic savic was. Get him here already. Look at his first touch and how he moves so well with the ball. Neither mctominay nor savic are quite capable.
He's clearly very slick with his turns, controls and running with the ball. It would be nice to have a midfielder who doesn't panic when pressed and isn't prone to losing the ball in dangerous areas.

How is his passing range to those who watch him regularly? The youtube comps always seem to focus on goals and neat bits of skill.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Don’t think this one will happen

RUCK4444

Don't do this to me. He's class.

I know we've had a strong window but if there is any way of making this happen it's this summer, let's sell a few and raise funds, finish the brilliant job we've started this summer.

atkar83

Don't do this to me. He's class.

I know we've had a strong window but if there is any way of making this happen it's this summer, let's sell a few and raise funds, finish the brilliant job we've started this summer.
I'm not sure if signing Varane was just perfect timing (last year of contract, Madrid in financial trouble and rebuilding, player wanting have new challenge and like United, in a position of need for us) or a statement of intent of winning the Premiership, but it seems like Goretzka would be the type of player we would need to lessen that talent gap between us and City and mount a serious challenge. Highly unlikely as others have said, but man he would be a perfect addition to this team where we have a bunch of CMs that don't have a particular specialty (Fred, McTom, VdB)

RUCK4444

I'm not sure if signing Varane was just perfect timing (last year of contract, Madrid in financial trouble and rebuilding, player wanting have new challenge and like United, in a position of need for us) or a statement of intent of winning the Premiership, but it seems like Goretzka would be the type of player we would need to lessen that talent gap between us and City and mount a serious challenge. Highly unlikely as others have said, but man he would be a perfect addition to this team where we have a bunch of CMs that don't have a particular specialty (Fred, McTom, VdB)
Absolutely agree. He would be right at the top of the list of players I'd want for our midfield.

He would be a massive improvement on the likes of those players you mentioned (Fred, McTom, VDB)

If there is any chance we really should try to do everything we can. Would definitely take the sale of a few players and a decent size bid from us to even begin to grease the wheels on this one though.

RUCK4444

United need to sow the seeds of confusion and promise Goretzka riches. Follow the path of Toni Kross and leave for a team that will pay you what you deserve.
Yup exactly this. It will save us money in the long term as well, he would be perfect for us.

Highfather_24

Tap him up. Be as unethical as you can. Shouldnt waste his career in the farmer's league. Someone please bite