Film Leonardo DiCaprio - Greatest Actor of All Time?

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Johnny Depp is naturally a better actor I think but Di Caprio is certainly up there and seems to work really hard on his parts.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I've almost seen them all. But what would you recommend from the Al Pacino and De Niro movies from the obvious one or 2 movies they are easily known for.
Performance wise?

Dog Day Afternoon
Donnie Brasco
Serpico
Angels in America
Scarecrow
Dick Tracy (feck it, he’s having fun)
The King of Comedy
Angel Heart
Cape Fear
The Deer Hunter
Awakenings
Once Upon A Time In America

Also Taxi Driver, Raging Bull & Goodfellas/Godfather, Scarface & Carlitos Way are all distinctly different performances, regardless of how well they’re known.

And I wouldn’t even consider De Niro & Pacino the very best actors “range” -wise. I mean Streep blows both of them out of the water, for a start.

AaronRedDevil

Performance wise?

Dog Day Afternoon
Donnie Brasco
Serpico
Angels in America
Scarecrow
The King of Comedy
Angel Heart
Cape Fear
The Deer Hunter
Awakenings

Also Taxi Driver, Raging Bull & Goodfellas/Godfather, Scarface & Carlitos Way are all distinctly different performances, regardless of how well they’re known.

And I wouldn’t even consider De Niro & Pacino the very best actors “range” -wise. I mean Streep blows both of them out of the water, for a start.
I've seen almost all of them except raging bull and dog day afternoon. More movies to watch, sweet.

arthurka

Is this thread for real?

It cant be as no one has mention Steven Seagal.
His performances in Under Siege 1-2 are right up there with his GOAT cameo in Exec Decisions.

Never seen Di Caprio take down anyone with his pinky.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Performance wise?

Dog Day Afternoon
Donnie Brasco
Serpico
Angels in America
Scarecrow
The King of Comedy
Angel Heart
Cape Fear
The Deer Hunter
Awakenings

Serpico was crap I thought.

Marcelinho87

Going to watch Once upon a time in Hollywood this weekend with Pitt and DiCaprio, expecting it to be decent.

Moby

Dick
But guys, what about Will Smith? He’s pretty good too...

Leonardo Di Caprio is always recognisably Leonardo Di Caprio in every role. He never disappears into one. He rarely if ever convincingly conveys an accent. He’s always shouting with a little bit of spit coming out, and then crying a bit with a wobbly lip, but he’s still very obviously Leonado DiCaprio, trying very hard, doing the big loud obvious emotions, but always, uncontrovertably Leonardo DiCaprio...

He’s one of the best quote unquote “movie stars” around, sure, but the idea that he’s the greatest actor alive, let alone ever is farcical. It’s like someone whose read 4 books saying Harry Potter is the greatest work of fiction of all time. WATCH MORE FILMS YOU PEASANTS!!
You should watch Di Caprio's brilliant performance in The Departed.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Or The Local Stigmatic... Greatest cockney accent of all time.

That's mesmerism.

Also, never knew Foghorn Leghorn had written a script, I say I never knew Foghorn Leghorn had written a script!

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
From actors around his age group, Bale, Fassbender, Gyllenhaal and especially Phoenix are all superior imo. Let alone DeNiro, Pacino, Denzel, Oldman, Day-Lewis, Fiennes, Hopkins, etc... company.

Some very good and enjoyable movies though.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I hated him in everything after Gilbert Grap and before Blood Diamond. Even after that I always wish they would cast sombody else.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Even actors like John Turturro outclass him.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
From actors around his age group, Bale, Fassbender, Gyllenhaal and especially Phoenix are all superior imo. Let alone DeNiro, Pacino, Denzel, Oldman, Day-Lewis, Fiennes, Hopkins, etc... company.

Some very good and enjoyable movies though.
It took me entirely too long to realize you weren't talking about Gareth Bale and taking the piss.

I'd rate Joaquin Phoenix the best of the 40-something actors myself

Oh and underrated actor I love is Patrick Fischler

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Oh and underrated actor I love is Patrick Fischler
You mean Bobby Fischer? :wenger:
Yeah, Fischler is very good, lack of those high-profile movies hurt him a bit in general. There are many fantastic actors you could find under that "A list" which are underrated and great in their own right.

I'd rate Joaquin Phoenix the best of the 40-something actors myself
Same for me. The absolute king in that division (still under the influence of MMA weekend as you can see). Ralph Fiennes is another one who has my deep admiration. His acting range is incredible.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
You mean Bobby Fischer? :wenger:
Yeah, Fischler is very good, lack of those high-profile movies hurt him a bit in general. There are many fantastic actors you could find under that "A list" which are underrated and great in their own right.

Same for me. The absolute king in that division (still under the influence of MMA weekend as you can see). Ralph Fiennes is another one who has my deep admiration. His acting range is incredible.
Yeah I always forget about Fiennes actually, he's done a lot of great roles.

SteveJ

Scout
Yeah, Fiennes' Amon Goth is a terrific, faceted portrayal. Still recall Goth studying his own face in a mirror - the image of an arrogant but naive and self-doubting man pondering whether he lived up to the 'master race' ideal.

El-Manos

Fiennes is very underrated like previously mentioned. Never disappoints. Even killed it as bloody Voldemort.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Yeah, Fiennes' Amon Goth is a terrific, faceted portrayal. Still recall Goth studying his own face in a mirror - the image of an arrogant but naive and self-doubting man pondering whether he lived up to the 'master race' ideal.
I liked him in In Bruges and The Grand Budapest Hotel.
Yeah I had forgot he was in all three of those until I looked it up, embarrassing. He's in a cultural blind spot for me or something I think

SteveJ

Scout
Notes on a Scandal with Dench and Blanchett was a bit of a masterclass.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Mentions of De Niro/Scorsese in here, and after having gone through clips recently, I can't believe the depth of what it seems like Scorsese was conveying, and the complexity of character/psychology De Niro was pulling off:

De Niro has the look of someone to me in this scene of someone who is struggling to basically stay on top of a repression/delusion collapse (for the purpose of sustaining calm/mood). Basically, someone who is under duress, and is convincing themselves it's okay, or someone who is about to lose it, but is giving the mind conditions so that this doesn't happen. When they're unable to sustain the perception that it's okay, the anger that's being repressed/kept at bay comes up.

"You mean organised?"
"...(collapse..anger comes up slightly) Organisised.." (0:12)

"You mean like those signs in office that...." (0:26) Next collapse.

0:28 (Looks up, snaps out of it)

"You like the place you work in?" - Basically, 'want' at this point overtaking ability to keep himself in line.

"I think Palentine's got a good chance" - Next collapse...as long as she works there, there's a chance she goes off with someone else, perhaps.

"You know you have beautiful eyes" - Difficulty is coming up, but reorganises his mind to see beauty and to improve the situation mentally.

Every line of dialogue in this scene could be analysed like this, with the collapse, then Travis convincing himself it's okay, but there's a bit where Travis' worry visibly collapses because he realises the situation is okay, and it's:

"I wouldn't be here if I didn't" - 1:45, followed by De Niro basically realising for just a moment it's okay, and that he doesn't need to be so bent up out of shape about it.

Stunned by the Scorsese/De Niro combination, basically.