Film Leonardo DiCaprio - Greatest Actor of All Time?

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
All subjective, but Brad Pitt doesn't belong on this list, imo, and definitely not as high as he is. I also don't think Morgan belongs on it, though he has an amazing voice. No Brando?! Denzel would also be in with a shout, ditto Christopher Walken.
See, as I've said. Subjective :lol:

Walken, according to me, doesn't belong on any list cause he's been utterly typecasted.

As for Brando, no way ;)

According to me!

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Seriously? :eek:

OK, for most, if you've seen the actor many times, then you know you're watching him.

On a side note, if you've only watched Leo in two movies, are you in a position to comment on his acting?
All I can comment on is what I’ve seen. I’m not saying he is or isn’t the best ever, I’m just saying from what I’ve seen I wasn’t all that impressed.

Pickle85

See, as I've said. Subjective :lol:

Walken, according to me, doesn't belong on any list cause he's been utterly typecasted.

As for Brando, no way ;)

According to me!
:lol: that's fair enough. It's why lists like that are fun, tbf. There's no definitive answer. But please, watch A Streetcar Named Desire or On the Waterfront, i implore you, then amend your list to include Brando! :D

diarm

100%

I loved Pail Atreides in Dune. Never seen him.

See above
Should the ability to transform for roles, and distance themselves from the audience perception of them, lend greater weight to actors when discussing the greatest?

Not many of the actors in your top 10 can do that, perhaps simply because they are so big. But there are a few, like say Christian Bale, Tom Hardy, Charlize Theron and Gary Oldman who have created such diverse characters that you can forget who they are while watching.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
:lol: that's fair enough. It's why lists like that are fun, tbf. There's no definitive answer. But please, watch A Streetcar Named Desire or On the Waterfront, i implore you, then amend your list to include Brando! :D
:lol: Watched it. He has a punchable face.

I liked him in Apocalypse Now, though.

Pickle85

Should the ability to transform for roles, and distance themselves from the audience perception of them, lend greater weight to actors when discussing the greatest?

Not many of the actors in your top 10 can do that, perhaps simply because they are so big. But there are a few, like say Christian Bale, Tom Hardy, Charlize Theron and Gary Oldman who have created such diverse characters that you can forget who they are while watching.
Gary Oldman is a good shout, and Charlize Theron is a cracking actor. The Charlize shout actually makes me look at my own top ten and think pretty uncomfortably about why it has no women on it. I need to be better!

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting

Coincidentally, I had him on my list initially. But sadly, he too has been typecasted. Thought about Bale too. You make an interesting argument.

I guess my suspension of disbelief meter is just low. I always see the actor, not the character.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Gary Oldman is a good shout, and Charlize Theron is a cracking actor. The Charlize shout actually makes me look at my own top ten and think pretty uncomfortably about why it has no women on it. I need to be better!
Feck, we only did actors, not actresses. Don't make me amend my list again!

diarm

What’s his best movie, do you reckon?
Pick one of these and you won't be disappointed:

The Departed
Django Unchained
Inception
The Beach
Wolf of Wallstreet
Catch Me If You Can
What's Eating Gilbert Grape

Pickle85

Feck, we only did actors, not actresses. Don't make me amend my list again!
Sorry buddy but to be inclusive I think ALL people who act are referred to as actors these days. I think. :nervous:
That was when I knew we had an actor on our hands... Then he became a bit too commercial, and then... He became superb!
Such a good film! Tough watch though.

Banat

Django was probably my fav move with him, although he wasn't a main character. The Revenant, Shutter Island, Inception all fantastic roles as well. Probably my favorite actor

2 man midfield

Hes brilliant in Basketball Diaries and Gilbert Grape.
Pick one of these and you won't be disappointed:

The Departed
Django Unchained
Inception
The Beach
Wolf of Wallstreet
Catch Me If You Can
What's Eating Gilbert Grape
Ok ta. Gilbert Grape has come up twice now, might give that a shot. 90% on rotten tomatoes is decent.
The Wolf of Wall Street imo. Class acting.
Somehow never saw this, it was massive when it came out

2 man midfield

(I like lists)

Acting wise,
1) Basketball Diaries
2) Departed
3) Aviator
4) One upon a time in Hollywood
5) Romeo and Juliet
I’ve only heard of one of those. He’s done a lot of stuff.

diarm

But sadly, he too has been typecasted.
Do you think?

Jim Gordon, Winston Churchill, Beethoven, Norman Stansfield, Sirius Black, Drexl Spivey, Lee Harvey Oswald, Sid Vicious, Joe Orton and George Smiley, just off the top of my head are a pretty diverse range of characters.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Do you think?

Jim Gordon, Winston Churchill, Beethoven, Norman Stansfield, Sirius Black, Drexl Spivey, Lee Harvey Oswald, Sid Vicious, Joe Orton and George Smiley, just off the top of my head are a pretty diverse range of characters.
I love him. Don't get me wrong. But he always has that intense look... Apart from in Churchill. I always thought he was underrated. Dracula... Professional... :drool:

diarm

I love him. Don't get me wrong. But he always has that intense look... Apart from in Churchill. I always thought he was underrated. Dracula... Professional... :drool:
How did I forget Dracula! :nervous:

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Willem Dafoe has been the best male performer in Hollywood for atleast two decades now. He's got great range, works with some genuinely interesting Directors (in and outside of the America) and has such a great presence.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Not a mention of Blood Diamond.

Amazing film and one of DiCaprio's finest performances

Tarrou

I'd have Nicholson in my top five for sure,

Brando is the goat for me

I don't rate Leo that much, he's just a good solid leading man

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Don't think my "best actor" list is one most will agree with but:

Nic Cage
Stephen Graham
Cilian Murphy
Daniel Day Lewis
De Niro
Jake Gyllenhaal

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
De Niro
Al Pacino
Daniel Day Lewis
Dustin Hoffman
Jack Nicholson
Christian Bale
Andy Serkis...

I like Di Caprio, he's very watchable and good screen presence. But I don't get lost in his films so to speak.

Vapor trail

Gary Oldman is undoubtedly a better actor for me than Di Caprio because of the very reasons you describe above. Leonardo is a good actor but he's suited to a certain role because of the aura he presents within acting. The likes of Oldman, Hardy etc they are dynamic.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Don't think my "best actor" list is one most will agree with but:

Stephen Graham
Daniel Day Lewis
Jake Gyllenhaal
These 3 I do. Stephen Graham is literally one of the most incredible actors alive. DDL is probably my favourite in terms of 'great actor-ness' and Jake Gyllenhall is fantastic. He's another one who is getting better as he ages.

As an aside, and no intentional poke at you but I genuinely hate seeing De Niro on greatest actor lists now. Yeah, he was in some iconic films playing some iconic roles that he completely owned but beyond those stereotypical Bobby DN roles, he is completely and uncomfortably one of the most one dimensional actors ever. I would class De Niro in exactly the same bracket as Di Caprio, very good actor but not a great.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
De Niro hasn't given a shit in a very long time which should probably influence it as well