Leroy Sane - Bayern Munich Player

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Excellent if the injury hasn't hampered him too much. Was one of the best in the league the season before he got that injury.

fps

Think as long as he's recovered well from the injury he will be absolutely sensational.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
From Robben-Ribery to Sane-Gnabry-Coman, not bad :o

dbs235

Not many people as scary as Ribery and Robben against you but Sane, Gnabry/Coman isn't what you're going to want to face as a defender in the Champions League this decade.

Fts 74

Brilliant player big loss for City, although I always felt Pep didn't really trust him.

MrEleson

Surprised not many have mentioned how low the reported fee is too - just 50 million or so he’s costing Bayern. That’s like 30 million less than Arsenal paid for Pepe who was far less proven and a year older. Bayern have had some insane deals over the last decade regarding transfers with even Lewandowski being free.

HerrLeinad

Supports
Bayern München
Surprised not many have mentioned how low the reported fee is too - just 50 million or so he’s costing Bayern. That’s like 30 million less than Arsenal paid for Pepe who was far less proven and a year older. Bayern have had some insane deals over the last decade regarding transfers with even Lewandowski being free.
Because we often show a lot of patience and also aren't resentful if a player doesn't go to us at first. We needed three attempts to get Robben, we went two times for Vidal, we kept waiting for Lewandowski, we were interested in Boateng before he went to City, we wanted Goretzka when he was still playing for Bochum and so on.
That patience often also includes not to go for someone else instead and show the player that we are serious about him. That's the whole reason why Coutinho was loaned and Sane is another case where we wanted him before he signed for City.
The disadvantage of that is of course that it can sometimes leave holes in our squad and it's not like the strategy always works out (let's see if our patience works with Havertz).

Sane only had a year left on his contract, has had a bad injury and has hardly played all season. You can not compare the two transfers.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
From Robben-Ribery to Sane-Gnabry-Coman, not bad :o
It's not bad, but Robben and Ribery are two of the best wingers of all time.

None of the three replacements will become as good as Robben and Ribery once were.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich

None of the three replacements will become as good as Robben and Ribery once were.
But nobody will. So what wingers would you want to have instead?

Jerzol78

Bayern's left wing, with Davies and Sane will be really scary for any opponent

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Bayern's left wing, with Davies and Sane will be really scary for any opponent
I would expect him to play on the right wing. Davies is an overlapping LB and Sané plays too wide for that to happen. Habe Gnabry cut in from the left and Sané from the right and have the FBs overlap. Robbery reloaded so to speak

rojo81

Supports
Juventus
Goretzka also free

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
His debut was great, but this woeful current Schalke is no benchmark of any kind. Apparently he's also made a good impression on club officials beside the pitch so far, being very professional and interested in how things are done at Bayern.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Very good player but I found it ridiculous the amount of space he and his teammates were given against Schalke.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
His debut was great, but this woeful current Schalke is no benchmark of any kind. Apparently he's also made a good impression on club officials beside the pitch so far, being very professional and interested in how things are done at Bayern.
Feels like I have to take back everything I said and thought about him before the transfer. Looking sharp on the pitch and seems to be vibing with the team, especially Gnabry.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
Feels like I have to take back everything I said and thought about him before the transfer. Looking sharp on the pitch and seems to be vibing with the team, especially Gnabry.
All those guys born in 1995/1996 seem to know each other really well from all the German youth teams.

Kimmich, Goretzka, Gnabry, Sule and Sané have all known each other for a really long time.

I saw this photo on the instagram of 433 where Kimmich and Gnabry were pretty much best friends already when they were 10 or 11.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
All those guys born in 1995/1996 seem to know each other really well from all the German youth teams.

Kimmich, Goretzka, Gnabry, Sule and Sané have all known each other for a really long time.

I saw this photo on the instagram of 433 where Kimmich and Gnabry were pretty much best friends already when they were 10 or 11.
Sane & Goretzka went to the same school. It's a really nice core of young players who not only have strong bonds with each other, but one that also lives that Mia san mia attitude to the T. I was wondering for a long time about what would happen once the last of the old guard like Müller went in retirement. But with nutjobs like Kimmich and Goretzka onboard I can sleep well over this now.

Libano

Sane could become 'that' signing for Bayern. It's the right team to unlock his potential of possibly becoming a top 5 player in world football. His speed adds another dimension to their already far from slow attack and allows them to seemlessly switch between possession-based football and sitting back and counter if a game plan requires it. This is the kind of flexibility that was always missing from Pep's teams and the big reason for his failure internationally post Barcelona.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

When Robben was his age he was in a very similar place. Started just 12 games for Madrid in an injury-hit season and didn't manage to really establish himself in the team, competing against Higuain, Robinho and Sneijder. This thread was made a year later, after he made a bit of an impact at Madrid, and while there was plenty of praise there were also plenty of doubts too.

I think Sané absolutely could be one of the best wingers of all-time.

DarkLord

At least he is now almost guaranteed to make the squad for the Euros and 2022 World Cup. It was criminal he was not chosen for the 2018 World Cup squad.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
A Forgotten man, how has he been doing in Germany?
Had a rough start (coming back from ACL, new team that was well functioning, no preseason) and seemed out of tune and sloppy. Has definitely improved over the last few games and is at least winger #3. i thing it will work out for him and Bayern.
More concentration and awareness is still needed though. Btw, he is primarily playing on the right side in the Robben role.

JuliaScalaR

Supports
noone in particular
There's been light and shadow.
On his day he is a phenomenal player, can dribble past any opponent and his shooting technique is top notch. But he only showed glimpses of these abilities at Bayern.
He clearly tries, but I think he still has a lot to learn in order to succeed in this Bayern team. He competes with Coman, Gnabry and Douglas Costa for playing time. Coman and Gnabry are clearly ahead of him in the pecking order. Even though Gnabry had a very quiet Hinrunde, Flick seems to trust him more than Sané. Coman did very well, Douglas Costa basically is a no-show.

Sané tends to make wrong decisions. Often he dribbles too much, when passing is the better option. Generally speaking, his decision-making is lacking an understanding of Bayern's way to play.
When Bayern cannot counter, they have to be patient and shift the ball from left to right and back again in order to spot the moment when their opponent isn't organized enough and there are gaps in the defense. Often Sané tries to solve these situations by taking on an opponents. Sometimes this is appropriate, sometimes he's just not patient enough. As Bayern defend with a very high line him losing the ball when dribbling is quite dangerous and something they want to avoid.
In addition to that I also remember him sulking from time to time, being "angry"(for lack of better word) with his team mates, when they misplaced a pass.
He also has to improve his back tracking, because when being compared to Coman or Gnabry, he looks lazy.

Today Bayern played Hertha and Sané started the match. He had some really good situations, where he set up chances or dribbled past players, he also sometimes chased back and helped defending when there was a change in possession. These were very good actions, however they were tainted by some really unnecessary losses of possesion. I think this sums up his time at Bayern quite nicely.

All in all I think we still have to wait for 6-12 months in order to reach a clear verdict on him. He was injured for a long time and already missed a month this season due to an injury. I still think Bayern took a (certainly well calculated) risk when signing him.

Reactions: 12OunceEpilogue