Leroy Sane watch | Feb 2020: Returning to fitness with City's U23s

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
City would never negotiate with us. We have a better chance of signing Messi.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Yup but I think its because he plays more against tired teams and attacking teams. Pep just doesn't fancy him when there is no space for him to run into. I'd play him every game if I could.
Well, as far as I remember Sane usually plays against the non-big 6 teams, whom you would expect sit back more. The top 6 teams would attack City more, in those matches Sterling-Silva combination is preferred because I think Pep likes his team to control possession, which is provided more with Silva as opposed to the more direct Sane. I don't think it's a case of playing Sane against teams that push up, quite the opposite.

Sane, Sterling and Silva are pretty much equal in ability but offer something different to each other. Sane isn't the typical Pep player so it looks like he'l be out the door.

JDoe

Supports
Bayern
He's one of those very few players that can decide matches on his own, no matter who he is playing against. Still quite raw for a 23 year old though, but he has probably as high of a ceiling as any young player currently. Hope he is unsettled and we (Bayern) try anything to get him.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Can’t believe City are up to selling him, he’s class. Didn’t even get on the bench in City’s last few games, Pep must hate him.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Probably the only player ive seen last season to have the beating of van dijk in the games he played for club and country has that effortless raw pace that not many can keep up with.

Treble

And yet Guardiola is lauded for his ability to get the best out of top players.
The manager's job is to get the best out of the team, not out of a single player. City won the last 14 games, 18 out of the last 19 (might be a record in the top leagues). Job done. Sterling and Bernardo were better/more useful than Sane.

Last edited:

The Nani

The manager's job is to get the best out of the team, not out of a single player. City won the last 14 games, 18 out of the last 19 (best record in the history of the top European leagues) and the title. Job done. Sterling and Bernardo were better/more useful than Sane.
Pretty easy to do that with a blank check and total disregard for youth.

He can’t explain the Eto’o-Ibra deal away or playing Lahm and Alaba in midfield or selling City’s most talented young player and one of the most talented young players in the world.

But whatevs. Pep invented football.

What do I know.

Treble

He can’t explain the Eto’o-Ibra deal away or playing Lahm and Alaba in midfield or selling City’s most talented young player and one of the most talented young players in the world.

What do I know.
The results in the league justified his treatment of Sane. In the CL though...Sane didn't start any of the games with Spurs and this didn't prove beneficial for City. They will struggle to replace his quality should they sell him. Much younger than Mahrez and with a higher ceiling too.

Thunderhead

Supports
City

What do I know.
bugger all judging by the state of that post

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

What do I know.
Yeah, pretty easy to build the best team England has ever seen. Everybody could've done it. Just by good players, that's all there is to it.

Amazing how people still manage to underrate a manager's influence after what happened and is still happening to United.

The Nani

bugger all judging by the state of that post
Yeah, pretty easy to build the best team England has ever seen. Everybody could've done it. Just by good players, that's all there is to it.

Amazing how people still manage to underrate a manager's influence after what happened and is still happening to United.
Typical.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City

What do I know.
feck all, evidently. Lahm was hardly a failure in midfield for Bayern and Guardiola is widely credited for developing Alaba into the player that he is today. Alaba himself said "Pep took me to another level. Under him, I knew I could play a lot of positions. He is one of the best coaches in the world, if not maybe the best from what I have seen."

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
feck all, evidently. Lahm was hardly a failure in midfield for Bayern and Guardiola is widely credited for developing Alaba into the player that he is today. Alaba himself said "Pep took me to another level. Under him, I knew I could play a lot of positions. He is one of the best coaches in the world, if not maybe the best from what I have seen."
Interesting because Alaba's best ever season was probably 12/13 under Heynckes IMO.

HerrLeinad

Supports
Bayern München
Ya, Alaba actually got worse over the years after 12/13 and didn't end up where Bayern Fan's hoped he would. He is of course still a good FB but couldn't repeat his magic 12/13 season and is certainly not a better player today than he was back then (in some areas he even regressed).
Lahm in midfield was "okay" but also no revelation and it also didn't produce a midfield that provided the right balance for the team so the rest of the team (and midfield) had to be built around the CM Lahm while losing the best RB we had (and doing the same thing nearly cost Germany the WC, it was only after Lahm was moved back to the RB position that Germany found some stability, balance and attack force through the right side in the 2014 WC).

JDoe

Supports
Bayern
Interesting because Alaba's best ever season was probably 12/13 under Heynckes IMO.
Alaba was a very average midfielder and Lahm in MF, albeit not a complete disaster, was much worse than when he was played at right back again. The thing with Alaba is he completely overestimated his abilities and thought he could influence the game more by playing as a MF.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City

What do I know.
Do you mean Jadon Sancho? We had to sell him because he was in the last year of his contract and had gone on strike after he refused to sign a new contract because the club was unable to guarantee him game time (he was 17). We could've just let him run down his contract, but then we would've lost the sell-on clause and risked a lower fee at a tribunal.

Not sure what that has to do with Guardiola. I don't know many 17 year olds in the PL who have a contract that includes guaranteed playing time.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich

What do I know.
Alaba has played midfield for Austria and at Hoffenheim before Pep and iirc, he played in CB under Pep when we had an injury crisis in Central defence when Alaba and Kimmich had to be drafted into CB

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal

What do I know.
What we do know is Pep is not leaving City soon and City will dominate the EPL for years to come. Only Liverpool has a chance to challenge them next season. Also City has the best academy and produces the best young talent in EPL lately as well. Jancho and Diaz are the latest example, and both of them left the club for game time.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
Kicker and Bild reporting he's on his way to BM 4-5 year contract, over 100m transfer fee and going to be making 350k a week.

redshaw

Will be interesting if Bayern do finance such deal, would be a big step into the crazy world. The arrogance on show they probably hoped they could just put the call out to a German player and he'd come running for peanuts like what happens in the Bundesliga.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Will be interesting if Bayern do finance such deal, would be a big step into the crazy world. The arrogance on show they probably hoped they could just put the call out to a German player and he'd come running for peanuts like what happens in the Bundesliga.
That myth ended years ago. Özil, Khedira, Sane, Reus, Gündogan, (KdB).

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
I'm hoping it's true as this would curtail their interest in Callum Hudson Odoi. BM offered Chelsea around £50m and Odoi still hasn't signed for either club.

This could just as easily be a story put about by Odoi's agent to increase the value of any contract with Chelsea. In fact it's probably more likely than Sane going to BM.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
What's truely going on with this transfer? How haven't Bayern gotten this locked?
Greenhorns at work. Apparently, no one found out whether Sane wants to come or not. Brazzo is eager to prove he's actually doing something and runs to the press every other day, Rummenigge jumps on every opportunity to give Kovac a few slaps, City, i assume, are sitting there laughing their head off, as with every blunder the pricetag goes up 20-40 Mio, and Pep doesn't really care because he knows his team stands with or without him.

Sane is good but he has his faults. In my universe, if you invest ~150-200 Mio, you do that for a one-of-a-kind gamechanger like Messi, not for a player who is on a good day one of the 15 better wingers in Europe.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
The problem Bayern have, is not only has Sane not tried to force this through, but he has two years left on his deal. City are under no pressure to let him go for peanuts.

Greenhorns at work. Apparently, no one found out whether Sane wants to come or not. Brazzo is eager to prove he's actually doing something and runs to the press every other day, Rummenigge jumps on every opportunity to give Kovac a few slaps, City, i assume, are sitting there laughing their head off, as with every blunder the pricetag goes up 20-40 Mio, and Pep doesn't really care because he knows his team stands with or without him.

Sane is good but he has his faults. In my universe, if you invest ~150-200 Mio, you do that for a one-of-a-kind gamechanger like Messi, not for a player who is on a good day one of the 15 better wingers in Europe.
If he pulls his finger out he has the talent to develop into a player as good as anybody out there. That's what you're paying for.

HerrLeinad

Supports
Bayern München

Your bias towards certain people shows and 150-200 for someone like Messi in the current market? Are you still living in 2010? Not to mention we won't pay 200 and I doubt that it's gonna be 150m either, the earlier reports of 100m + a bonus of 20-30m seem realistic.

padr81

Supports
Man City
What's truely going on with this transfer? How haven't Bayern gotten this locked?
Bayern want him, we want to keep him. Leroy is seeing those dollar signs right now thats for sure.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'm hoping it's true as this would curtail their interest in Callum Hudson Odoi. BM offered Chelsea around £50m and Odoi still hasn't signed for either club.

This could just as easily be a story put about by Odoi's agent to increase the value of any contract with Chelsea. In fact it's probably more likely than Sane going to BM.
Bayern definitely want Sane, that much is 100% true

CHO will have no shortage of takers next summer if he doesn't sign with Chelsea