Leroy Sane watch | Feb 2020: Returning to fitness with City's U23s

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Bayern want him, we want to keep him. Leroy is seeing those dollar signs right now thats for sure.
Money is only part of Leroy’s agenda.
There is much more to this situation than him wanting a rise.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
Your bias towards certain people shows and 150-200 for someone like Messi in the current market? Are you still living in 2010? Not to mention we won't pay 200 and I doubt that it's gonna be 150m either, the earlier reports of 100m + a bonus of 20-30m seem realistic.
bias? I dislike Hoeneß and Rummenigge equally, i think Kahn will be a disaster, i think Brazzo is a complete lightweight, and i think Kovac is the wrong man for the job. Towards whom do you think i'm biassed?

Sane would have been a decent signing at up to ~70-80Mio. Any significant greater ammount means overpaying, putting undue pressure on the lad, and also shaking up the fabric of the team.

Last edited:

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
Sane would have been a decent signing at up to ~70-80Mio. Any significant greater ammount means overpaying, putting undue pressure on the lad, and also shaking up the fabric of the team.
I'd be surprised if you managed to type that without bursting into laughter. You think Leroy Sane is worth only 70/80m? Joao Felix went for 130m, Coutinho was 140m, Dembele was 140m I mean come on man, Pepe even went for 70m.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Pep not playing Sane last season seems to have effected his value in many people's minds it seems. He's easily worth 130m, easily.

Bugs Bunny

Supports
Manchester City
Can’t believe City are up to selling him, he’s class. Didn’t even get on the bench in City’s last few games, Pep must hate him.
I don't think Pep trusts him to always put a shift in & to follow his instructions to the letter and the way Pep wants the game to be played means that the manager must have complete trust in his players.

I honestly believe that Pep wouldn't be that bothered if Leroy did leave. He can't say this of course.

HerrLeinad

Supports
Bayern München
bias? I dislike Hoeneß and Rummenigge equally, i think Kahn will be a disaster, i think Brazzo is a complete lightweight, and i think Kovac is the wrong man for the job. Towards whom do you think i'm biassed?

bias against your own club and bashing the club leadership constantly for some internet points which is as ridiculousas your evaluation of Sane.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

70-80m? This isn't Heiko Westermann we are talking about but arguably the best winger of the EPL who's yet to enter his best years. 100+m is the minimum for Sané. It's about time Bayern understands that the market has changed. I'm not sure if the club has the capacities to employ three or four players with such contracts. And that's basically a necessity if they want to het back to where they used to be.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
70-80m? This isn't Heiko Westermann we are talking about but arguably the best winger of the EPL who's yet to enter his best years. 100+m is the minimum for Sané. It's about time Bayern understands that the market has changed. I'm not sure if the club has the capacities to employ three or four players with such contracts. And that's basically a necessity if they want to het back to where they used to be.
I think Bayern has accepted that the market has changed. They spent €80m on an injured CB and are willing to spend €100m on Sané. Otherwise they wouldn‘t be talking to City.
Their wages/turnover ratio is very healthy and they‘ve gotten Robben‘s and Ribery‘s wages off of their books.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Money is only part of Leroy’s agenda.
There is much more to this situation than him wanting a rise.
I read somewhere hes on 80k or something, far below our biggest earners. Of course he'll want guarantees too but money will be top of the list. If Bayern's are offering 300k+ like has been reported and we're refusing to come close lad is right to want to move imho I know I would.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
I think Bayern has accepted that the market has changed. They spent €80m on an injured CB and are willing to spend €100m on Sané. Otherwise they wouldn‘t be talking to City.
Their wages/turnover ratio is very healthy and they‘ve gotten Robben‘s and Ribery‘s wages off of their books.
If he goes City will deal at €120m plus 20m in doable bonuses IMO.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
Still no official news about his injury status?
Why would there be? Just because Bayern are interested? City barely ever make an official statement regarding injures, unless they are very serious, and a player undergoes immediate surgery. Or in Mendy's case, I think they hide these facts too actually. :)

Friday's presser it the soonest that you will get some inside info, straight outta Pep's mouth I guess.

MUFC OK

Huge huge mistake if City let him go. They really need him for strength in depth to aim for the treble, which is surely their target.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Why would there be? Just because Bayern are interested? City barely ever make an official statement regarding injures, unless they are very serious, and a player undergoes immediate surgery. Or in Mendy's case, I think they hide these facts too actually. :)
It is usual in the Bundesliga to inform the public about the nature of an injury, regardless of its severity. Broken fingernail or broken shin, doesn't matter.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
It is usual in the Bundesliga to inform the public about the nature of an injury, regardless of its severity. Broken fingernail or broken shin, doesn't matter.
Ah, okay, that explains the rationale in @GhastlyHun's post. Anyway, even though it would be nice, it's not a thing in the Premier League. But Friday's presser will tell us more. Not that I think that Bayern don't already have detailed info on the topic anyway. :)

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Huge huge mistake if City let him go. They really need him for strength in depth to aim for the treble, which is surely their target.
I agree. Although B. Silva and Sterling may be more effective, I think City are best when Sane and Sterling start on the wings, and B Silva starts in midfield.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
I agree. Although B. Silva and Sterling may be more effective, I think City are best when Sane and Sterling start on the wings, and B Silva starts in midfield.
Nah. Sane doesn't impose himself on games in the manner that Sterling and Bernardo do. At his best he's as good as anyone but he's not as consistent. If I had to pick City's strongest XI it would not be a difficult choice for me to bench Sane at the expense of Silva and de Bruyne in midfield with Sterling and Bernardo out wide.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Nah. Sane doesn't impose himself on games in the manner that Sterling and Bernardo do. At his best he's as good as anyone but he's not as consistent. If I had to pick City's strongest XI it would not be a difficult choice for me to bench Sane at the expense of Silva and de Bruyne in midfield with Sterling and Bernardo out wide.
Peak D. Silva, I'd agree.

BlackBinBag

How have Bayern Doctors gained access to his medical records? has to be the player briefing them. Would expect that Guardiola is furious about this. Would be much cleaner if Sane handed in a transfer request. He'd likely lose bonus payments though if he initiates a move. If he makes his position untenable at the club he gets his dream move & gets paid at both ends.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
How have Bayern Doctors gained access to his medical records? has to be the player briefing them. Would expect that Guardiola is furious about this. Would be much cleaner if Sane handed in a transfer request. He'd likely lose bonus payments though if he initiates a move. If he makes his position untenable at the club he gets his dream move & gets paid at both ends.
Ever entertained the notion of the two clubs already being involved in negotiations?

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
Ever entertained the notion of the two clubs already being involved in negotiations?
Objectively I think it's probably more likely that the £50m+ difference in valuation is more likely to derail the negotiations than a minor knee injury.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
Depends on the opposition.
Against the low block teams Sane is not as effective as he is against the high pressers where he has more opportunity to use his speed and balance.
To make himself the player he can be he needs to stay at City and bloody well listen to the coaches.
He will not progress to the same extent at Bayern.

Libano

If the torn ACL rumours are true then this deal is certainly not going to happen anywhere near the fee City are demanding, if at all. That's a season-ending injury. Unbelievably stupid move to play Sane in an absolutely irrelevant game during the final stages of a transfer. Post ACL surgery, speed and agility are the first things to suffer. Chance of relapse is high. City screwed themselves over here. Bayern must be scrambling for alternatives.

City fans are fuming at Bayerns arrogance of wanting to know medical details. What planet are they living on? No transfer ever happens without a thorough medical.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
It's like a voodoo curse, get linked with Bayern - do your knee in

Thank god they didn't want Lukaku eh

If the torn ACL rumours are true then this deal is certainly not going to happen anywhere near the fee City are demanding, if at all. That's a season-ending injury. Unbelievably stupid move to play Sane in an absolutely irrelevant game during the final stages of a transfer. Post ACL surgery, speed and agility are the first things to suffer. Chance of relapse is high. City screwed themselves over here. Bayern must be scrambling for alternatives.

City fans are fuming at Bayerns arrogance of wanting to know medical details. What planet are they living on? No transfer ever happens without a thorough medical.
Why is it stupid to play him if City ideally don't want to sell in the first place? Who said the deal was in the final stages? Falk? Don't make me laugh.

City are still assessing an injury on their player. No point shouting anything from the rooftops as long as it is all guesswork anyway. If Bayern have an agreement with Sané as they claim, they should get the info straight from the player. At least Falk seems to know more than the English media, so Bayern must be in the loop?

Andrew Wolf

Supports
Manchester City

Bayern want to pay £90m. City want £135m.

The player is a City player and even if he does want to leave, there is a £40m+ difference in valuation and therefore an agreement was quite a distance away.

City have had Aguero, Jesus and Mahrez away for a full Pre-season while Sané has been there from the beginning. What do you want them to do?

And damn right City fans are fuming at Bayern's arrogance. A club that has never stopped slagging them off publicly since the takeover, have very publicly chased one of their prize assets all Summer long with little to no grace and is now reporting what an injury could be before the full picture is known.

City don't want to sell Sané. They want him to sign a new contract. No stupidity whatsoever on City's part.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
what a messy saga this is. The pressure on Bayern couldn't be higher. In the end we have to sign Bale.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
Why is it stupid to play him if City ideally don't want to sell in the first place? Who said the deal was in the final stages? Falk? Don't make me laugh.
if as a club you have no intention to sell, i think common practice would be to tell the interested club to go away. don't think city have done that.

Falk is an utter clown and is best ignored. Sam Lee setting him straight for misquoting his initial report.

City just lost either millions or a player for most of the season. Whatever way you look at it, it's a lose-lose for both clubs. That's why it's stupid.
I guess it would have been smarter to play Jesus or Agüero instead, who have had a much shorter regeneration and preparation period, making an injury even more likely?

You are making it sound as if City injured Sané on purpose. If it was Sterling who sustained an injury instead, nobody would argue that it was stupid to play him in the Community Shield. If City were desperate to cash in on Sané, he wouldn't have played. They weren't, so he did. Nothing stupid about it.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Falk is an utter clown and is best ignored. Sam Lee setting him straight for misquoting his initial report.

Not that much of a difference, really. ACLs are unique since they don't really heal by themdelves. That's why you replace them with tendons from other body parts. Usually ACLs aren't completely torn but are removed anyway. Can't imagine that they won't do it in this case since the player is still so young and has his whole career ahead of him.

devlinadl

City just lost either millions or a player for most of the season. Whatever way you look at it, it's a lose-lose for both clubs. That's why it's stupid.
This is City. Don't think the money is an issue for them.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Great stuff from the Liverpool echo, they did the same last year with KDB

andyox

Supports
Manchester City

What's your definition of the "final stages" of a transfer? City did have one player in the final stages of a transfer at the time of the Community Shield, and he was sensibly left out the squad. Danilo is now officially a Juventus player.

Sane's transfer is not and has never been in the final stages because despite waging a summer-long campaign to unsettle the player, Bayern still haven't got anywhere near City's asking price. That's a fairly important obstacle to a transfer taking place. All reports suggest that City don't want to sell Sane, and are still trying to persuade him to sign a new contract. Meanwhile, to protect our position, we have benchmarked his price against the Coutinho/Felix/Hazard etc. transfers and quoted Bayern a price of £135m if they want to sign him. He's our player, that's our prerogative, and we are under no obligation or financial need to sell. To date, all reports indicate that Bayern have bid £72m, and have suggested that their highest offer will be £90m. I'd suggest any negotiation where there's a gap of £45m between the two sides is not in the "final stages".