Leroy Sane watch | Feb 2020: Returning to fitness with City's U23s

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
I don't think anyone here is surprised by this unfortunately.
I use Newsnow to stay up to date with City news, and over the last few months they seem to have been aggregating more and more Echo articles because they mention City. Sometimes I click the links, and the bitterness really is overwhelming. I know they're a local paper etc., but you'd think there would be some sort of journalistic quality control.

Libano

What's your definition of the "final stages" of a transfer? City did have one player in the final stages of a transfer at the time of the Community Shield, and he was sensibly left out the squad. Danilo is now officially a Juventus player.

Sane's transfer is not and has never been in the final stages because despite waging a summer-long campaign to unsettle the player, Bayern still haven't got anywhere near City's asking price. That's a fairly important obstacle to a transfer taking place. All reports suggest that City don't want to sell Sane, and are still trying to persuade him to sign a new contract. Meanwhile, to protect our position, we have benchmarked his price against the Coutinho/Felix/Hazard etc. transfers and quoted Bayern a price of £135m if they want to sign him. He's our player, that's our prerogative, and we are under no obligation or financial need to sell. To date, all reports indicate that Bayern have bid £72m, and have suggested that their highest offer will be £90m. I'd suggest any negotiation where there's a gap of £45m between the two sides is not in the "final stages".
At this point whatever you or I say is pure speculation. Nobody knows how much money is currently on the table. Most of the rumours suggest that they are in advanced negotiations. For what it's worth.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
At this point whatever you or I say is pure speculation. Nobody knows how much money is currently on the table. Most of the rumours suggest that they are in advanced negotiations. For what it's worth.
Fair point on speculation. All of the speculation is coming from the German media though. There isn't one City-connected journalist who has reported anything like "final stages" or "advanced negotiations." As I said, we had one player in the final stages of a transfer, and he didn't play in the Community Shield, while Sane did.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Let's just get whoever City were eyeing as Sané replacement. This transfer saga has entered major suckage mode.

el3mel

Shame. Very sad to hear such a thing happening to any player. Hopefully he returns out of this better than before.

Andrew Wolf

Supports
Manchester City
Damaged ACL rather than torn or completely ruptured. May not be the usual 6-9 months if that's the case but still a minimum of 3-4.

Josh 76

He will be back fresh for the title run in.
Could be the difference.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
He will be back fresh for the title run in.
Could be the difference.
I remember Liverpool fans saying the same about Oxlade-Chamberlain last season. Always takes a while to get up to speed after a serious injury, I doubt he'll contribute much to our season (sadly).

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I wonder if he'll feel compelled to sign a new contract with them now? Assuming this season is now a right off he'll return with effectively only 12 months on his contract

Similar situation to CHO at Chelsea

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Didn’t mean City, I was talking to a Bayern fan but I appreciate the response.
I realise that. Was just trying to put another name into the mix. City are currently on a good run of pursuing young, talented players and getting them for fees that, while not cheap, turn out to be good value.

NYAS

I realise that. Was just trying to put another name into the mix. City are currently on a good run of pursuing young, talented players and getting them for fees that, while not cheap, turn out to be good value.
Ah, yeah Oyarzabal could be an option for Bayern.

Not many wingers around at the level they would like.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Surely Ziyech is your best option now. Maybe Zaha? Who else?
Apparently Perisic :houllier:

Pep said he hoped for Sané to be back by february/march. Sooo... let's sign him in winter at a discount maybe

Last edited:

NYAS

Apparently Perisic :houllier:

Pep said he hoped for Sané to be back by february/march. Sooo... let's sign him in winter at a discount maybe
Think you need one winger only? Or two, given Coman’s injuries?

I hope this Alphonso Davies LB experiment ends quickly because the lad is talented enough to be a squad winger.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München

I hope this Alphonso Davies LB experiment ends quickly because the lad is talented enough to be a squad winger.
One of Sané's calibre would go a long way. But of course Coman and Gnabry are rather injury prone as well, for european ambitions we definitely need another one.
Not sure Davies could fill that gap adequately. But since Alaba seems to be staying and we added Hernandez and Pavard, he's wasted at left back.

Blackwidow

And a dream to have in the dressing room...

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
His game isn’t reliant on acceleration and speed.
No but he still altered his role to compensate for his situation.
Sane is not just an athlete, he's a damn good footballer and still young enough to add extra strands to his proverbial bow. Your comment was simplistic and may well prove incorrect.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
No but he still altered his role to compensate for his situation.
Sane is not just an athlete, he's a damn good footballer and still young enough to add extra strands to his proverbial bow. Your comment was simplistic and may well prove incorrect.
Simple but effective. Let’s see.

Ban

I'm sure if Liverpool player got such a serious injury they'd be up in arms at Echo if for instance MEN had a similar headline.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
I wonder if he'll feel compelled to sign a new contract with them now? Assuming this season is now a right off he'll return with effectively only 12 months on his contract

Similar situation to CHO at Chelsea
Someone is seriously using some kind of vodoo crap against Bayern. Bayern desperately wanted to sign both Sane and CHO this summer.

Now they sign Perisic.

Robben and Ribery were always injured. Coman and Gnabry are always injured. Now they wanted to sign Sane and CHO.... And they get injured.... Coincidence?! They probably were Bayern players in their mind already.

Last edited:

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
Someone is seriously using some kind of vodoo crap against Bayern. Bayern desperately wanted to sign both Sane and CHO this summer.

Now they sign Perisic.

Robben and Ribery were always injured. Coman and Gnabry are always injured. Now they wanted to sign Sane and CHO.... And they get injured.... Coincidence?! They probably were Bayern players in their mind already.
You had the choice to buy Sane before he was injured, of course. You chose not to.

Hulksmash

Good that he is moving, always need 3 players to mark him. He is way more talented then bernado Silva and city look half as dangerous