Let’s all laugh at Luis Suarez

Obi-Red-Kenobi

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah he’s been absolute dogshit.

Honestly, he’s been pathetic...

I mean, yeah he’s scored more league goals this season than than Harry Kane ( so called by some as the best 9 in the world), and yeah he’s scored more goals this season so far in the league than Martial and Rashford have ever done, and yeah he’s scored only a couple of goals less than Ronaldo in the league this year, who many on here salivate over, but yeah he’s crap, yeah.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

I mean, yeah he’s scored more league goals this season than than Harry Kane ( so called by some as the best 9 in the world), and yeah he’s scored more goals this season so far in the league than Martial and Rashford have ever done, and yeah he’s scored only a couple of goals less than Ronaldo in the league this year, who many on here salivate over, but yeah he’s crap, yeah.
Thing is, Suarez gives away many big chances nowadays. He's still brillant at creating goal scoring opportunities for himself through great runs and of course he's got excellent service by Messi, Dembele, Coutinho and the likes but he's far from clinical to say the least. My football app lists him with 24 missed big chances. Kane, in comparison, has 8, Aguero 9, Salah 12, Ronaldo 13. The only player in Europe's top leagues to come close to that amount of missed chances is Mbappe (21) but he also has 6 more goals. There is no top striker around that needs so many chances as Suarez (well, Lewandowski doesn't seem that great, too), currently, and that's what remains in memory if you regularly see Barca play.

Occasionally, Suarez is still absolutely unplayable but as of now I believe other top strikers would have a higher output than him if played in his position.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool

He's scored 11 goals versus Real.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Surprise surprise...

Once he has an average game we’ll be back to having 10 different posters asking for him to retire.

Same shit for almost 3 years now

Eddy_JukeZ

Surprise surprise...

Once he has an average game we’ll be back to having 10 different posters asking for him to retire.

He only looks this good vs Real to be honest :lol:

Nowadays.

the chameleon

Oh great! Another Scouse WUM! Behave boy! Looked at your posts, you’re not going to last longer on here with some of that drivel!

Ban

Bernabeu has been like a home ground for Barcelona in the last few years.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
He only looks this good vs Real to be honest :lol:

Nowadays.
Right... must be the league’s second highest scorer due to playing against Madrid every other week.

Oh right, he only scores a lot because of Messi feeding him!

There’s always another excuse as to why what he’s doing isn’t actually impressive.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
We should really laugh at Real Madrid for making him look good.

Eddy_JukeZ

Right... must be the league’s second highest scorer due to playing against Madrid every other week.

Oh right, he only scores a lot because of Messi. Stuani and Benzema could totally do the same...
I never said he was shit.

But Madrid this season have made him look much better than what he is atm :lol:

wr8_utd

:'(

Oh right, he only scores a lot because of Messi feeding him!

There’s always another excuse as to why what he’s doing isn’t actually impressive.
Benzema has been very very good this season and would be far better with Dembele and Messi providing him chances than what he gets at Madrid.
Surprise surprise...

Surprise surprise...

Once he has one game where he doesn't look semi retired we’ll be back to having the same one poster calling him the best #9 in the world.

Just scored his second hattrick of the season against Real Madrid. :lol:
Second goal was an own goal.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Benzema has been very very good this season and would be far better with Dembele and Messi providing him chances than what he gets at Madrid.

Surprise surprise...

Once he has one game where he doesn't look semi retired we’ll be back to having the same one poster calling him the best #9 in the world.
Once he has an average game we’ll see you making twenty different posts calling him shit, telling him to retire and saying he shouldn’t even be a professional footballer for fecks sake.

At least have some shame...

And I don’t say he’s the best striker in the world. I say he’s up there as one of the best. Which he is.

wr8_utd

Once he has an average game we’ll see you making twenty different posts calling him shit, telling him to retire and saying he shouldn’t even be a professional footballer for fecks sake.

At least have some shame...

And I don’t say he’s the best striker in the world. I say he’s up there as one of the best.
You're clearly in an absolute minority with this statement but sure whatever keeps your crazy Messi vs Ronaldo agenda/insecurities going.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
You're clearly in an absolute minority with this statement but sure whatever keeps your crazy Messi vs Ronaldo agenda/insecurities going.
I’m in the minority in thinking Luis fecking Suarez is one of the best strikers in the world??? :lol:

What...

The last part of that comment might be the most hypocritical thing I’ve ever read.

Coutinho wasn't this bad last season but he's just completely lost it now. Seems low on confidence and he wasn't ever a Barcelona player anyway. Suarez is just disgusting.
Suarez is such a brainless footballer. And another post.
One on one and Suarez messes it up. Tap ins are the only way he'll score
Literally 3 things Suarez does in a match. Foul, stand offside, misplace a pass.
Suarez is just absolute and complete trash. Ruins every single attack.
I just don't understand why he does it. The guy can't make a simple 2 yard passes these days and insists on trying intricate backheels and nutmegs.
The man is lucky he's got Messi to carry him.
Suarezzz! The pass from Messi :drool: Messi and Alba are a brilliant combo and even Suarez couldn't mess that up.
Luis Bloody Suarez. He can't make simple passes and then tries backheels. Such abject mediocrity.
The goals masked it earlier but his game has become even worse now. Can't run, can't make a 2 yard pass, can't finish, can't stay onside and looks at the same level as Denis Suarez and Delofleu. It's exasperating to watch him play nowadays. Would he get into any Top 6-8 PL sides? I doubt it.
It'll go up ten levels when the Suarez clown brothers and Deofleou aren't in. Suarez really makes my blood boil. Injured or not, his inability to even make a successful 2 yard pass is infuriating.
It really is a travesty that Messi has to play with the likes of Luis and Dennis Suarez. It really is.
Suarez is an embarrassment. Bring on Alcaer bloody hell.
Bloody hell Suarez. He can't even make 2 yard passes
Very impressive performance from everyone other than Suarez. He's been as woeful as ever.
Can Suarez just be sold? He's bloody awful.
Not a bad tactic really because you had plenty of chances on the counter but unfortunately Suarez spoils everything.
Barca really badly need to get an upgrade on Suarez. He's absolutely finished.
If Messi keeps it up, they can still keep winning. Very ordinary side without him and ofcourse Suarez being trash.
Years and years of the same thing.

wr8_utd

I’m in the minority in thinking Luis fecking Suarez is one of the best strikers in the world??? :lol:

What...
Yeah you quite clearly are in the minority if you think Suarez is currently the best or close to the best. Also you said best #9 in football right now some weeks ago.
If you actually watched Suarez play without trying to prove to the world that he and everyone else is world class and without your crazy Messi paranoia, you'd see what all Barcelona fans or anyone who watches Suarez play these days and realize he's been woeful for a while. Scoring 20 goals after missing 25 huge chances in a year doesn't change that fact.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Yeah you quite clearly are in the minority if you think Suarez is currently the best or close to the best. Also you said best #9 in football right now some weeks ago.
If you actually watched Suarez play without trying to prove to the world that he and everyone else is world class and without your crazy Messi paranoia, you'd see what all Barcelona fans or anyone who watches Suarez play these days and realize he's been woeful for a while. Scoring 20 goals after missing 25 huge chances in a year doesn't change that fact.
Right... you’re so clueless 3 days ago you were asking for him to be dropped.

Barcelona fans do not in any way think that. I read Barcelona forums.

Messi fans such as yourself love shitting on Luis Suarez, actual Barcelona fans love him to bits.

wr8_utd

You can keep quoting my past comments on Suarez whenever you want and it doesn't change the fact he's been mediocre for over a season now and all Barca fans see that. He was easily the best striker in the world for a couple of years when Neymar was around as well but if you can't see that he's absolutely lost most of his abilities now then yeah you're clearly too busy trying to prove some Ronaldo vs Messi points for some crazy reason.
But hey you also think Vidal is still class so yeah.

wr8_utd

Right... you’re so clueless 3 days ago you were asking for him to be dropped.

Barcelona fans do not in any way think that. I read Barcelona forums.

Messi fans such as yourself love shitting on Luis Suarez, actual Barcelona fans love him to bits.
I'm sure every Barca fan will love him for what he has done in the past. No one denies the legend he is and that he was by and far the best striker in the world for a while. One good finish and a penalty today doesn't change the fact that he's having a very very poor Season.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
You can keep quoting my past comments on Suarez whenever you want and it doesn't change the fact he's been mediocre for over a season now and all Barca fans see that. He was easily the best striker in the world for a couple of years when Neymar was around as well but if you can't see that he's absolutely lost most of his abilities now then yeah you're clearly too busy trying to prive y
He’s lost his abilities, that’s true... the thing is he lost the abilities from being one of the best strikers this sport has ever seen and miles better than any other striker on the planet to being at the same level of other top strikers such as Kane, Lewandowski, Cavani, etc. the fact that he’s not at his peak doesn’t mean he’s shite ffs.

Saying Luís Suarez is mediocre is the stupidest thing I’ve ever read. It’s honestly insane how far you take your propaganda.

He’s scoring hattricks against Real Madrid while you’re arguing he can’t make two meter passes and should retire as he isn’t good enough to be a professional footballer... Surely you can put 2 and 2 together to understand just how stupid that makes you look in this situation?

wr8_utd

He’s lost his abilities, that’s true... the thing is he lost the abilities from being one of the best strikers this sport has ever seen and miles better than any other striker on the planet to being at the same level of other top strikers such as Kane, Lewandowski, Cavani, etc.

Saying Luís Suarez is mediocre is the stupidest thing I’ve ever read. It’s honestly insane how far you take your propaganda.

He’s scoring hattricks against Real Madrid while you’re arguing he can’t make two meter passes and should retire as he isn’t good enough to be a professional footballer... Surely you can put 2 and 2 together to understand just how stupid that makes you look in this situation?
The only person with a propaganda on anything Barcelona related is you and you've been called out on it by a lot of people other than me. I, or any Barca fan, does not even need to show that Suarez is poor now to try prove Messi is the BITW right now. His performances speak for themselves. You on the other hand, for some strange reason, keep arguing with everyone and try further your strange agendas and obsessions with the Ronaldo vs Messi debates.

Suarez has had one phase all season where he was really good and that was the 3-5 matches when Messi was out and included the hat trick in that classico. His performances vs Valladolid and Lyon are actually how he plays nowadays. Sure he papers over the cracks by scoring one of the countless chances that Barca create but that doesn't make him even close to the best strikers in the world.

Salah, Mane, Lewa, Auba, Lacazette, Cavani, Aguero etc would all have the same or similar numbers in this Barca team with the amount of chances they do create. Lukaku has had a horror season, doesn't even start most games and he still has 11 goals this season.

Dolf

Suarez is definitely still top 5 strikers in the world right now.
For me it's something like this:

Best in the world right now: Kane/Aguero/Griezmann
Slightly below that: Suarez/Cavani/Lewandowski

Not counting Mbappe and Ronaldo since they haven't always played as a striker. I was thinking about excluding Griezmann too but whatever.

I think whoever you ask, people are always going to have a different opinion but the above 6 will always be named.

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
Suarez has been sub par this season. If I remmeber correctly, he has missed 24 bug chances as well. If he were more clinical he would have scored at least 13+ more goals than he has now. The problem is not only in front of goal. He can't trap the ball properly, falls over when he tries to dribble and misses simple 2m passes. I think the fact that he is not rested affects him as he seems to play every single game.

He needs to start performing, especially in the champions League.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Surprise surprise...

He is a big game player, there's no doubt about that. Very clearly past his peak though. I hope for an Indian Summer at the Copa but there's not much left in the tank for the very top level.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I'd say the truth is somewhere in between. Suarez is still incredible on his day but on the flipside one can't deny that he misses a lot of chances and screws up many easy passes/dribbles nowadays. It's a testament to his instinct and work rate that he's getting that many of them but he's lost a fair bit of his relentlessness in front of the goal and thus he's become inconsistent. Although is absolute numbers are still great there's no denying his conversion rate fell off a cliff. Maybe it has to do with physical decline and he's simply not 100% focused due to a lack of fitness when it matters but it is definitely the case. Maybe it's time to adjust his game and decrease his work rate a little bit.

Cait Sith

Suarez is the best striker in the world even now, despite his obvious decline.

So what if he missed thousand "big chances"? He got into all of them by his own movement and determination anyway. If he scored those missed chances he'd outscore Messi by a landslide. Is that supposed to be his norm?

Another striker like Benzema will have a flawless touch every time but not get into a single great scoring chance. Then what? Scored a total of 5 league goals last season. Amazing. :rolleyes:

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
Suarez is the best striker in the world even now, despite his obvious decline.

So what if he missed thousand "big chances"? He got into all of them by his own movement and determination anyway. If he scored those missed chances he'd outscore Messi by a landslide. Is that supposed to be his norm?

Another striker like Benzema will have a flawless touch every time but not get into a single great scoring chance. Then what? Scored a total of 5 league goals last season. Amazing. :rolleyes:
Suarez actually did outscore Messi in 15/16, you know when he actually was the best striker in the world...

Interesting that Benzema comfortably has better numbers in the CL over the last two and a half seasons, I wonder why?

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Suarez actually did outscore Messi in 15/16, you know when he actually was the best striker in the world...

Interesting that Benzema comfortably has better numbers in the CL over the last two and a half seasons, I wonder why?
Most of Benzema’s CL goals in that period come against Viktoria Plzen, Apoel and Legia in the group stages.

Suarez needs to be scoring the 5-0 and 6-0 against PSV at home so his numbers go from decent to great I guess.

If he hasn’t done well in the Champions League in the past few years then which striker has? Kane? Lewandowski? Cavani? Higuain?

Since 2016 he scored 2 goals in the knockouts. Messi scored 3. Lewandowski scored 4. Cavani scored 2. Kane scored 1.

Why the hell are only his CL numbers being questioned? Because he doesn’t score many in the group stages that Barca qualify out of regardless?

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Lukaku just scored a brace and became one of the top 20 PL scorers in history yet many on this forum want to see the back of him. So the Suarez criticism is not exactly abnormal.

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
Most of Benzema’s CL goals in that period come against Viktoria Plzen, Apoel and Legia in the group stages.

Suarez needs to be scoring the 5-0 and 6-0 against PSV at home so his numbers go from decent to great I guess.

If he hasn’t done well in the Champions League in the past few years then which striker has? Kane? Lewandowski? Cavani? Higuain?

Since 2016 he scored 2 goals in the knockouts. Messi scored 3. Lewandowski scored 4. Cavani scored 2. Kane scored 1.

Why the hell are only his CL numbers being questioned? Because he doesn’t score many in the group stages that Barca qualify out of regardless?
Why would I care to compare Suarez' numbers in the CL to any other striker for starters? He hasn't done well in the CL period, and in order to compare him to Kane for example, we'd need an alternate universe in which Kane played as a starting striker for Barcelona since 2016-17 season. Obviously a speculation, but I feel bold in making a prediction that Kane himself at Barcelona would have scored much more than 4 in 23.

Want Kane's stats at Tottenham in the CL last three years? 13 in 18 actually. Unless you feel he has a much better supporting cast, only logical conclusion would be that he outscored so called best #9 in the world fairly comfortably.

As for what I want, irrelevant that it is, I would like Suarez to up his all round quality of play which has dropped to an embarrassingly bad level since 2016, a fact that is glaringly obvious to mostly anyone watching Barcelona week in week out. I guarantee you, if his overall play was anywhere close to that level no one would be questioning him, and no one would care about the goals tally. When you see him playing crazy first time passes consistently, trip over the ball, bad first touches every second contact with the ball you get frustrated, it's simple as that.

That's actually the main gripe I have with him nowadays, once upon a time he was a brutal all round player alongside the goals, there's barely anything left in that regard aside from a several times each season where he plays great and reminds us how it once was. Whether he scores 0.5, 0.75 or 1.00 goals per game is slightly beside the point as far as I am concerned.

Last edited:

Caius

I'd say the truth is somewhere in between. Suarez is still incredible on his day but on the flipside one can't deny that he misses a lot of chances and screws up many easy passes/dribbles nowadays. It's a testament to his instinct and work rate that he's getting that many of them but he's lost a fair bit of his relentlessness in front of the goal and thus he's become inconsistent. Although is absolute numbers are still great there's no denying his conversion rate fell off a cliff. Maybe it has to do with physical decline and he's simply not 100% focused due to a lack of fitness when it matters but it is definitely the case. Maybe it's time to adjust his game and decrease his work rate a little bit.
As someone who has watched probably half of barca's matches this season I'd say this is a good summation. Especially the easy passes/dribbles part, he can be infuriating to watch sometimes but I do think he still offers enough to justify his spot in the team. Definitely shouldn't be playing every game like he is now though, they need a legitimate backup

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Why would I care to compare Suarez' numbers in the CL to any other striker for starters? He hasn't done well in the CL period, and in order to compare him to Kane for example, we'd need an alternate universe in which Kane played as a starting striker for Barcelona since 2016-17 season. Obviously a speculation, but I feel bold in making a prediction that Kane himself at Barcelona would have scored much more than 4 in 23.

Want Kane's stats at Tottenham in the CL last three years? 13 in 18 actually. Unless you feel he has a much better supporting cast, only logical conclusion would be that he outscored so called best #9 in the world fairly comfortably.

As for what I want, irrelevant that it is, I would like Suarez to up his all round quality of play which has dropped to an embarrassingly bad level since 2016, a fact that is glaringly obvious to mostly anyone watching Barcelona week in week out. I guarantee you, if his overall play was anywhere close to that level no one would be questioning him, and no one would care about the goals tally. When you see him playing crazy first time passes consistently, trip over the ball, bad first touches every second contact with the ball you get frustrated, it's simple as that.

That's actually the main gripe I have with him nowadays, once upon a time he was a brutal all round player alongside the goals, there's barely anything left in that regard aside from a several times each season where he plays great and reminds us how it once was. Whether he scores 0.5, 0.75 or 1.00 goals per game is slightly beside the point as far as I am concerned.
Even in his prime he always had a clumsy style, his overall play is still good. The havoc he creates in defenses from his movement and determination is as good as it was and that’s always been what made him a great player. Not his link up play or whatever.

He creates chances regularly, often through great passing too. He loses the ball often... so do pretty much all other strikers playing today.

Suarez scored 4 in 23... he could have scored 20 in 23 and if the 16 came in irrelevant group stage matches then nobody would give a shit. Scored vs PSG in 2016/17 and vs Roma last year... that 4 in 23 stat says it all about the level of scrutiny he’s under when compared to any other striker. Irrelevant stat brought up solely to make him look bad rather than prove anything. Also, Kane is Tottenham’s primary scoring option. Suarez isn’t Barcelona’s primary scoring option. Football isn’t as simple as ‘it’s easier to score the better the team is’.

Kane in Barcelona would have no crosses to feed from. No penalties to take... completely different system and way of playing, etc. Take injuries into consideration and I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t match Luis Suarez who is the perfect striker for this Barcelona team.

I do agree Barcelona need a capable substitute though, playing him pretty much every minute of the season will obviously lead to moments of poor form