Let’s sign Gareth Bale

izec

The worst possible signing this summer in my book. I dont know if i would prefer signing no one or Bale.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Don´t see us making these kind of signings under Ole.
He has stated that the type of signings need to change.
Ole will do what Woodward wants, that's one of the main reasons why they've given him the job.

He won't be the same to deal with as an elite manager who comes with their own team and has a well formed vision etc.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Ole will do what Woodward wants, that's one of the main reasons why they've given him the job.

He won't be the same to deal with as an elite manager who comes with their own team and has a well formed vision etc.
A spectacularly condescending post. How on earth would you know whether or not Ole has a 'well formed vision'? Do you really believe that Woodward wants nothing more than a nodding dog in charge of the team?

Rhyme Animal

A spectacularly condescending post. How on earth would you know whether or not Ole has a 'well formed vision'?
I doubt he's been planning to take over an Elite level PL club for long...do you?

He's landed in this position overnight, by ridiculous opportunity and was previously employed as the manager of Molde... if he was doing his job there, then he won't have even been thinking about managing Utd, let alone forming long term plans to dominate the PL.

Managers like Pochettino or Zidane are used to dealing with big club structures, and in Pochettino's case, he's used to planning how to compete at the high-end of the PL.

Do you really believe that Woodward wants nothing more than a nodding dog in charge of the team?
Yes, I do. I believe that firmly in fact.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!

I like how well you know Ole and even the relationship he has with Woodward.

Rhyme Animal

I like how well you know Ole and even the relationship he has with Woodward.
It's my opinion, likewise for yourself, no? You also have an opinion?

It's my opinion, and it's based on watching Woodward for years. And then seeing him make an another deeply inexperienced, eccentric managerial appointment over options that are at the natural point in their managerial career trajectory of taking on United.

An experienced top level manager and a DoF and I wouldn't hold this opinion, but Woodward has actively chosen to move away from that.

Rhyme Animal

@Rhyme Animal then why hire LvG and Mourinho?
Both have complained, extensively, about the laughable 'structure' at the club, and neither worked out.

LvG has made clear that signings took place without his say so, and Mourinho wasn't backed and was transfer vetoed (after having his contract extended).

Woodward has had 6 years to put a DoF in place and step back - he hasn't done this.

Quite the opposite - he has actually increased his input to the point of making and vetoing signings, and has now appointed a manager that none of the current top 6 would even dream of appointing who is quite clearly going to be a softer touch than a well developed, experienced top level manager.

That's how I see it. That's my opinion. I don't mean it as an affront to those who hold different opinions, and I hope that I'm wrong about OGS being good enough - but regarding Woodward, I'm very confident that I'm right.

arthurka

Sorry it really doesn´t look that way. Both him and seemingly Phelan seem to have their doubts about this setup. Ole even went so far to say that the targets would change to what we had been doing before.
But we will see, I dont see Ole as a yes man at all.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Solskjaer would have crawled over broken glass for the job.

If he's not a yes man and Woodward intends to continue playing FM, it'll flare up next year at the earliest. If LVG was professional enough to swallow signings so will ogs to begin with.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Both have complained, extensively, about the laughable 'structure' at the club, and neither worked out.

LvG has made clear that signings took place without his say so, and Mourinho wasn't backed and was transfer vetoed (after having his contract extended).

Woodward has had 6 years to put a DoF in place and step back - he hasn't done this.

Quite the opposite - he has actually increased his input to the point of making and vetoing signings, and has now appointed a manager that none of the current top 6 would even dream of appointing who is quite clearly going to be a softer touch than a well developed, experienced top level manager.

That's how I see it. That's my opinion. I don't mean it as an affront to those who hold different opinions, and I hope that I'm wrong about OGS being good enough - but regarding Woodward, I'm very confident that I'm right.
I must have missed these quotes.
But vg had such an ego i couldn't see him saying " yes it was all my fault"

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
On a loan or some kind of deal where we get him free and Madrid helps pay wages.

We have zero quality outside of Pogba.

Bale is quality. His left foot alone is better than 90% of our squad. He can do free kicks, deadly on the counter and produces in the biggest moments.

If he plays in the right teams cannot double up on Martial and Shaw.

Nuts

The only bit in my post that requires knowledge of his motivation is the bit about why he'd leave. It's not much of a leap, if at all, to say what I did given he very publicly stated his desire to stay at Madrid when linked to us in the past.
Yes, because press releases always reveal what players really think :lol:

Aloysius's Back 3

On a loan or some kind of deal where we get him free and Madrid helps pay wages.

Bale is quality. His left foot alone is better than 90% of our squad. He can do free kicks, deadly on the counter and produces in the biggest moments.

This.

Bale was a different level to sanchez as well and even if he isn't good as he used to be - he is able to be good enough to be a key player in our squad almost instantly.

Even if he in and out of the season for a third of it - I still think he is good enough to do something in those games he turns up in.

Scholsey2004

This.

Bale was a different level to sanchez as well and even if he isn't good as he used to be - he is able to be good enough to be a key player in our squad almost instantly.

Even if he in and out of the season for a third of it - I still think he is good enough to do something in those games he turns up in.
8 goals and 2 assists in la liga. I believe that's less than martial and he'd cost a big transfer fee, huge wages, is often injured and is a forward about to hit 30. There no value there any more.

Scholsey2004

Age, injuries, transfer fee, lack of resale value, wages, and declining form. 8 goals and 2 assists in la Liga this season. Would be such a bad transfer.

YoucancallmeAl

If we can offload Sanchez in the summer, and get some sort of loan deal, I would be happy to take a punt at him. Still thinks he has a lot to offer.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It's my opinion, likewise for yourself, no? You also have an opinion?

It's my opinion, and it's based on watching Woodward for years. And then seeing him make an another deeply inexperienced, eccentric managerial appointment over options that are at the natural point in their managerial career trajectory of taking on United.

An experienced top level manager and a DoF and I wouldn't hold this opinion, but Woodward has actively chosen to move away from that.
You haven’t been watching Woodward at all, you have been guessing about him. To say that Ole will do what Woodward says is baseless.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Anyway, for the right mathematics, I’d take Bale. We need an experienced top player in attack to help the kids.

Rhyme Animal

You haven’t been watching Woodward at all, you have been guessing about him. To say that Ole will do what Woodward says is baseless.
I've been watching his decisions for 6 years.

And he's a fecking clueless muppet regarding footballing matters who has proven himself as utterly useless in running this great club.

Possibly the only way i'd say ok to signing Bale.

Ideally we would have neither on our books next year.
Sanchez would be overpriced if we sold him in Poundland. Can’t see anyone buying him, and definitely not Real. Our best hope is a free to a Chinese club (who could actually afford his wages).

The Bale ship sailed a long time ago. Whilst not ripping up trees, our left side of attack is probably one of our strongest areas of the pitch. We need to address problem areas, not just buy players because they become available. A right sided attacker is absoubtly essential.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Anyway, for the right mathematics, I’d take Bale. We need an experienced top player in attack to help the kids.
But we would never get him for the right mathematics, Bale will be 30 this year , you dont spent big money large wages and long contracts on players that age especially an injury prone winger winger. So mathematically what 20 million and say 120k a week on a 2 year day would be good mathematics, but Madrid and bale would never go for that.

Also think helping kids is always over rated, normally it just means stunting the young players growth by playing the player we have spent a ridiculous amount of money for while the promising youngster gets benched.

Chairman Steve

He has shown no signs of wanting to be here in the past. We shouldn’t extend the hand to him now he’s deemed far too expensive wage wise to Real that he’s a problem as well as his mounting injury issues. The cynic in me would say he would see us as an excellent pension much like Schweinsteiger did seemingly.

I don’t like taking on players who have experienced so much success because there’s always a risk that their hunger and desire to do it elsewhere will diminish and they’ll just coast at Utd and be an expensive problem, and looking at Sir Alex’s purchasing strategies over the years, he never really purchased guys who already had scores of big trophies in their cabinets.

Bale should absolutely not to be signed. Let him stay in the land of tapas and paella, sign languaging and using rudimentary Spanish with teammates as his only means of communication and playing golf most of the time.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
But we would never get him for the right mathematics, Bale will be 30 this year , you dont spent big money large wages and long contracts on players that age especially an injury prone winger winger. So mathematically what 20 million and say 120k a week on a 2 year day would be good mathematics, but Madrid and bale would never go for that.

Also think helping kids is always over rated, normally it just means stunting the young players growth by playing the player we have spent a ridiculous amount of money for while the promising youngster gets benched.
It’s certainly not overrated. Having a senior pro take the immediate pressure of winning things for a mega club like Manchester United off say, a 19 y/o Jadon Sancho if we also signed him is great while they are developing. The kids will be inconsistent by nature, and it’s best that this inconsistency isn’t the topic of discussion every week.

As for the mathematics, we are talking of a player surplus to requirements at his club so who knows.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Sanchez would be overpriced if we sold him in Poundland. Can’t see anyone buying him, and definitely not Real. Our best hope is a free to a Chinese club (who could actually afford his wages).

The Bale ship sailed a long time ago. Whilst not ripping up trees, our left side of attack is probably one of our strongest areas of the pitch. We need to address problem areas, not just buy players because they become available. A right sided attacker is absoubtly essential.
Im becoming to come round to the idea of atcually paying him to leave, its completely messing up out pay structure, its suddenly added 100k a week to every players asking price for contracts. Maybe that will help reset the situation a bit.

I can't believe how many people thought this would be a good deal, and haven't learned from and are still asking us to sign players like bale or even Alderweireld , you don't give players in and around 30 massive contracts.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
It’s certainly not overrated. Having a senior pro take the immediate pressure of winning things for a mega club like Manchester United off say, a 19 y/o Jadon Sancho if we also signed him is great while they are developing. The kids will be inconsistent by nature, and it’s best that this inconsistency isn’t the topic of discussion every week.

As for the mathematics, we are talking of a player surplus to requirements at his club so who knows.
But they only get consistent by playing.

Bale is on a reported 600k a week before tax untill 2022, so unless basically give him us for 3 and pay about 450k a week towards his wages their is no way the maths add up. And that just isn't realistic.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Im becoming to come round to the idea of atcually paying him to leave, its completely messing up out pay structure, its suddenly added 100k a week to every players asking price for contracts. Maybe that will help reset the situation a bit.

I can't believe how many people thought would be a good deal, and haven't learned from and are still asking us to sign players like bale or even Alderweireld , you don't give players in and around 30 massive contracts.
There’s no rule book. Perhaps not big contracts in terms of 5 years like we did to Rooney and Sanchez near enough, but big in terms of salary is to be expected if they are still top players. I mean, Sanchez turned 29 weeks before we signed him. How on Earth were we supposed to treat that deal? He was a top player, and at 29, at a good age.

Even discounting Messi and Ronaldo, there are and have been many top players in and around 30. If we signed the following players at 29: Robben, Silva, Dzeko, Aguero Ibrahimovic, Pirlo and lots more we would have gotten great service from them.

I can't believe how many people thought this would be a good deal, and haven't learned from and are still asking us to sign players like bale or even Alderweireld , you don't give players in and around 30 massive contracts.
I certainly thought he would be a great signing. Miki was utter crap, and Sanchez's pedigree was fantastic, albeit he was in poor form, but I and most people thought it was just down to him not wanting to be at Arsenal anymore.

One of the most disappointing signings I’ve seen in 30 years, he used to be such a great player. Thought he would be another RVP.

It’s a delicate balance, players like RVP, Zlatan & Sheringham worked well. Sanchez, Schweinsteiger, Falcao have been bloody terrible.