Let’s sign Gareth Bale

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
But they only get consistent by playing.

Bale is on a reported 600k a week before tax untill 2022, so unless basically give him us for 3 and pay about 450k a week towards his wages their is no way the maths add up. And that just isn't realistic.
Well we should be expected to pay for the 18-odd league goals that Bale is capable of giving us for a couple of seasons. We shouldn’t expect to pay Lingard money to Bale. But we should expect to not pay Messi money.

And Bale is one player. He will not keep every young player out of the side every match. Everyone aside from him, should Sanchez, Lukaku and Mata leave will be young.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
There’s no rule book. Perhaps not big contracts in terms of 5 years like we did to Rooney and Sanchez near enough, but big in terms of salary is to be expected if they are still top players. I mean, Sanchez turned 29 weeks before we signed him. How on Earth were we supposed to treat that deal? He was a top player, and at 29, at a good age.

Even discounting Messi and Ronaldo, there are and have been many top players in and around 30. If we signed the following players at 29: Robben, Silva, Dzeko, Aguero Ibrahimovic, Pirlo and lots more we would have gotten great service from them.
With Sanchez, you simply don't sign him, a few of us said this was a bad deal as signing a 29 winger year whose game was based around pace and energy to the biggest contract in premier league history.

They have but mostly players go down hill after 30, especially players who rely on pace. The way you deal with it is simply you are better of not signing a player around that age if they want a long term deal and have a big fee you just move on to a different player. Sure do something like Ibrahimovic if its a one year deal maybe even two. Buts that's as far as you go.

Bale isint robust enough for the PL anymore. When was the last time he played 30 league games in a season?

Everything else aside, he’s not on the pitch enough.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
I certainly thought he would be a great signing. Miki was utter crap, and Sanchez's pedigree was fantastic, albeit he was in poor form, but I and most people thought it was just down to him not wanting to be at Arsenal anymore.

One of the most disappointing signings I’ve seen in 30 years, he used to be such a great player. Thought he would be another RVP.

It’s a delicate balance, players like RVP, Zlatan & Sheringham worked well. Sanchez, Schweinsteiger, Falcao have been bloody terrible.
But look at RVP we got one good season out of him, granted it was worth it as we won the league, but after that his form went of a cliff, he scored a few goals the next year, but his over all play was awful and his form has just got worse since. Zlatan was risk free, but he got injured, and while he scored lets not forget because of his lack of mobility he limited they way we could play. Schweinsteiger, Falcao where complete busts. Sheringham was a good signing, but most of his best work was as back up to Yorke and Cole.

With Sanchez I think people got blinded by the big name and didn't think it through.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
With Sanchez, you simply don't sign him, a few of us said this was a bad deal as signing a 29 winger year whose game was based around pace and energy to the biggest contract in premier league history.

They have but mostly players go down hill after 30, especially players who rely on pace. The way you deal with it is simply you are better of not signing a player around that age if they want a long term deal and have a big fee you just move on to a different player. Sure do something like Ibrahimovic if its a one year deal maybe even two. Buts that's as far as you go.
Every footballer relies on pace. Sanchez should not have been expected to be finished on his 29th birthday. No player should really, unless they have been plagued by injuries. At 29, no matter your position, you should expect at least 2 more seasons at your best. I guess United figured that is what they were getting and were happy with that. Being finished at 29 is not the norm at all.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Well we should be expected to pay for the 18-odd league goals that Bale is capable of giving us for a couple of seasons. We shouldn’t expect to pay Lingard money to Bale. But we should expect to not pay Messi money.

And Bale is one player. He will not keep every young player out of the side every match. Everyone aside from him, should Sanchez, Lukaku and Mata leave will be young.
I don't think Bale would score 18 goals in the premier league, he's injury prone has lost a yard of pace. In the more physical premier league I think he would really struggle and he is only going to get worse every year, his best days are behind him. It would just be another Sanchez.

Really i can't see realisticaly Sanchez and Lukaku leaving, where are they going to go?

We should be trying to sign players who whose best years are ahead of them not behind them.

With Sanchez I think people got blinded by the big name and didn't think it through.
That’s very disengenuous of people that had a different opinion, and also very easy to critique in hindsight.

The point is that you judge every player on their merits, and don’t suddenly dismiss every player that hits 29. There are examples of great transfers of older players and some disasters. With ref to Bale. He’s injury prone, and plays in one of our strongest positions. We have so many other priorities to address. When he’s on the pitch, I’m sure he would be world class if he was at Utd. But we would see far more benefit in spending our (limited [every club has a budget]) funds on a RW/RB and CB.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Every footballer relies on pace. Sanchez should not have been expected to be finished on his 29th birthday. No player should really, unless they have been plagued by injuries. At 29, no matter your position, you should expect at least 2 more seasons at your best. I guess United figured that is what they were getting and were happy with that. Being finished at 29 is not the norm at all.
no it isnt the norm, but giving some one a 5 year contract at 29, when you realise they would still be here at 34, thats daft especially when its the biggest contract in premier league history.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I'm dumbfounded there are still people thinking this is a good idea.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
no it isnt the norm, but giving some one a 5 year contract at 29, when you realise they would still be here at 34, thats daft especially when its the biggest contract in premier league history.
No argument with that point. He shouldn’t have gotten that long.

Aloysius's Back 3

To be honest - one of the main reasons I want him is because the majority of the fans do not want him.

It kind of gives me hope because fans in a majority have been excited by some seriously average players.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
That’s very disengenuous of people that had a different opinion, and also very easy to critique in hindsight.

The point is that you judge every player on their merits, and don’t suddenly dismiss every player that hits 29. There are examples of great transfers of older players and some disasters. With ref to Bale. He’s injury prone, and plays in one of our strongest positions. We have so many other priorities to address. When he’s on the pitch, I’m sure he would be world class if he was at Utd. But we would see far more benefit in spending our (limited [every club has a budget]) funds on a RW/RB and CB.
I don't think you should dismiss players when they hit 29, but I think it should have a big effect on the amount you spend on them and the lengh and size of the contract you give them.
Hindsight is a great thing, but their where some of us who were saying it at the time that giving a player at this age with his style of play this contract it was always gonna end up with him probably spending about 3 years sitting on the bench been one of our highest earner. Not to mention paying one player that amount was always going to upset the wage structure permenantly and cause us all kinds of headaches(which it seems to be). Granted I didn't think we may get a decent year or 2 out of him. But it was always more likely to be a bad deal then a good deal by the time it came to its end. And i don't think that hindsight, i think that's just thinking things through for the long term.

I personally don't think Bale would be world class here, he can still produce some great moments, but his over all form and game play has been going down hill for about 3 years now, he isn't world class now, he's inconsistent and sporadic, aging and injury prone, who can still produce great moments. Yeah i'd take him on a one year Zlatan type contract, but that's as far as we should go.

but yes I agree that where we should be spending.

witchtrials

I know the club has been struggling with its identity post-Ferguson but I'd really rather we didn't settle on being the club where aging galacticos are put out to pasture.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
To be honest - one of the main reasons I want him is because the majority of the fans do not want him.

It kind of gives me hope because fans in a majority have been excited by some seriously average players.
He's injured a lot, will demand big wages, old, and finished.

I feel like banging my head against the wall but thankfully can't see it happening.

lsd

The Oracle
If we can offload Sanchez in the summer, and get some sort of loan deal, I would be happy to take a punt at him. Still thinks he has a lot to offer.

Should we also sign Wilshire and Andy Carroll as well. Maybe even Samri Nasri

Aloysius's Back 3

He's injured a lot, will demand big wages, old, and finished.

I feel like banging my head against the wall but thankfully can't see it happening.
I'm not arguing with you - but people are scared that Bale is Sanchez & I don't think that's the case.

I didn't want Sanchez here for multiple reasons.

1. People were talking about how Sanchez was this amazing player in the PL - the fact is for a season and a half to two the guy was not producing for Arsenal. People thought this was due to him being unhappy due to his craving to move but this turned out to be wrong.
  2. Bale is old but to me he has the ability to be what Sanchez should have been for us - just a player with a bit of experience at key times because right now we have none. Bale has been good every season except this current one when the whole of Real Madrid are just as bad consistently. Furthermore unlike Sanchez where people assumed he was unhappy and that's why he played badly at Arsenal - Bale is showing this on the pitch 24/7 pushing his own team players hands out whilst he isn't attending parties causing a distance etc

Now I totally get why you don't want Bale and its not hard to understand because the Lad is old, having a poor season, has rejected us before and is very injury prone. However for me Bale has the ability to cover for Sanchez & Lukaku together who should leave in my opinion. Bale can play as a forward, a LW or a RW (though I'd give him less running to do and let him play a strikers role because we miss someone who can head the ball etc).

Ultimately it is a gamble - but selling Lukaku & Sanchez for me is not and Bale at that point cane be balanced around the youngsters even with his injury record helping the likes of the left footed Greenwood, Rashford, Martial & possibly Sancho.

sherrinford

I'm not arguing with you - but people are scared that Bale is Sanchez & I don't think that's the case.

I didn't want Sanchez here for multiple reasons.

1. People were talking about how Sanchez was this amazing player in the PL - the fact is for a season and a half to two the guy was not producing for Arsenal. People thought this was due to him being unhappy due to his craving to move but this turned out to be wrong.
  2. Bale is old but to me he has the ability to be what Sanchez should have been for us - just a player with a bit of experience at key times because right now we have none. Bale has been good every season except this current one when the whole of Real Madrid are just as bad consistently. Furthermore unlike Sanchez where people assumed he was unhappy and that's why he played badly at Arsenal - Bale is showing this on the pitch 24/7 pushing his own team players hands out whilst he isn't attending parties causing a distance etc

Now I totally get why you don't want Bale and its not hard to understand because the Lad is old, having a poor season, has rejected us before and is very injury prone. However for me Bale has the ability to cover for Sanchez & Lukaku together who should leave in my opinion. Bale can play as a forward, a LW or a RW (though I'd give him less running to do and let him play a strikers role because we miss someone who can head the ball etc).

Ultimately it is a gamble - but selling Lukaku & Sanchez for me is not and Bale at that point cane be balanced around the youngsters even with his injury record helping the likes of the left footed Greenwood, Rashford, Martial & possibly Sancho.
Sanchez wasn’t producing during his last half a season at Arsenal and that was all - the season prior to that was his best as an Arsenal player and one of the two best of his career overall.

I would agree that Bale has generally been good in Madrid without truly setting the world alight, but it’s been evident for a while that he has lost the explosiveness he had in his younger days. I’m sure he could still contribute a relatively steady supply of goals/ high-quality moments when fit, but surely no one actually expects him to be fit for long enough to make a substantial impact in that sense.

It wouldn’t be a horrible gamble for about £30 million and on severely reduced wages, but that’s not happening is it.

Andersons Dietician

Watched him a few time this season and in moments you’re like oh... Bale is back and then 2 minutes later he is nursing his calf. If he could stay fit he’d probably be a decent player still but is he really worth the risk at this point. I’d say not.

I think another problem is this perception he failed at Madrid. Kinda exists due to him not matching the figures of Ronaldo but all in all he still scored goals and important goals at that. Just injuries, but yeah I’d rather look elsewhere please.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If he’s available for less than £30m or less (£35m at max) and also reasonable wages which he should take this advice if he wants to play regularly, we should take a punt on him. He’s still quality player but there is lot of risk in him like injury prone & he’s not in a suitable age for a player who relies on his speed & power.

However, Bale & Sancho on both wings will improve our attack for sure.

Luke1995

Only if he wanted to truly play for us from the heart. Let's avoid a Di Maria situation where player clearly wanted to be somewhere else but came anyway.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Big name player who can play right wing. Perfect match in heaven. It will happen.

andyish

Supports
Liverpool
Would’ve been a great deal 4 years ago.

Very talented and killed me last year in the CL final but I don’t think he has a 38 game league season in him at Premier League pace!

Waste of £££.

LoneStar

Please no. This will be another Sanchez situation and completely destroy our wage structure.

And no way Real would swap him got Sanchez or loan him to us unless someone from United is going the other way. This is a bad deal every way you can think of.

Sambob

Completely agree with the point about if he is available for 30m and if he wants to play for us but he wont be and he doesn't so it's a non starter. He also just isn't as good as he used to be and given our track record of pretty much not getting anywhere near the best out of signings for the last few years we should avoid.

Given our track record we basically need to sign Messi and Ronaldo in order to get two half decent performers on a regular basis.

Fer

I wouldn't be surprised if we try to sifn him this summer. I prefer someone younger like Sancho.

Suv666

I'd take him on loan.
Buy Sancho for the right, play Bale on the left and Rashford as the striker. We can't sort out every position in one window. Bale on loan would be a good temprorary solution. It would also allow us to bin one or two of our crap wingers like Sanchez, Martial and Lingard

Johan07

It will be interesting this summer what happens with Bale. He will not want to go to China or the USA.
There is no real alternative for where to offload him for Real in Europe except to United. Bayern maybe but they cant carry his wages. Not even close. Juve has Ronaldo and PSG Neymar so they cant really either. Spurs cant afford his left foot. Chelsea might be transferbanned and out of Europe. Thats the closest club I see except United otherwise.
It should be a good summer to negotiate with Real.
I would take him in a heartbeat if the deal is acceptable and does not affect us in the transfermarket (much) otherwise this summer.

gaucho_10

I'd love for you to take Bale, even if it's a loan just to get him out of the locker room, but You should really be looking at Ceballos if you want to sign a talented well rounded CM. I like the guy, but Zidane doesn't.

If you need a DM/CM, we also have Llorente who is also good but not Zidane's cup of tea.

Wallez

I actually think that Bale would be interesting if we can get him on a 2-year loan where we only pay his wages. We are desperate for a proper right winger and need quality and experience in attack, and getting Bale on loan would allow us to strengthen other areas this summer. If we are able to sell Alexis and clear out some deadwood from the squad, his salary should be no problem. Sancho would of course be a better option long-term, but I can’t see Dortmund letting him go for anything less than 120 mill.

Cait Sith

Alexis Sanchez Mark II, if not worse, as he would command high wages AND a transfer fee on top of it.

Anyone who says otherwise is not watching La Liga at all. He is 30 in a few months and has missed more than 100 days injured in the past 2 seasons and played crap 90 % of the time when not injured, bar a few moments here and there.

If United buy this player and the fans don't riot against the higher ups who are making these decisions I don't know what to say.

youmeletsfly

I'd take him on loan.
Buy Sancho for the right, play Bale on the left and Rashford as the striker. We can't sort out every position in one window. Bale on loan would be a good temprorary solution. It would also allow us to bin one or two of our crap wingers like Sanchez, Martial and Lingard
No way in hell should he be our main striker. He;s a kid that proved absolutely nothing as a striker in the modern game.
We need quality players not local talents. I know it's sentimental to support him because he's a local lad, loves the club and all that, but it's time for some fecking ruthlessness. IF you;re not good enough, and he obviously isn't, you're axed.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
It will be interesting this summer what happens with Bale. He will not want to go to China or the USA.
There is no real alternative for where to offload him for Real in Europe except to United. Bayern maybe but they cant carry his wages. Not even close. Juve has Ronaldo and PSG Neymar so they cant really either. Spurs cant afford his left foot. Chelsea might be transferbanned and out of Europe. Thats the closest club I see except United otherwise.
It should be a good summer to negotiate with Real.
I would take him in a heartbeat if the deal is acceptable and does not affect us in the transfermarket (much) otherwise this summer.
Very much doubt United are an alternative. Real will have to keep him.