Let’s sign Gareth Bale

RMD83

Bale who has never looked remotely interested in coming here, coming in, probably on Sanchez level wages.

What could possibly go wrong there?
Don’t be ridiculous....Ed will pay him more than Sanchez.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Don’t be ridiculous....Ed will pay him more than Sanchez.
Probably.

Meanwhile, i'm going to sneak into the next 2 games, sheepishly wearing my ALEXIS 7 shirt!

I joked that if we bought SANCHO, I could just change the EZ in Sanchez and the number...

forgetting that he wears ALEXIS.

Doh

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
People who want him here should take a deep breath and have a lie down.
It's purely based on 3-4 years ago where he was an insane paced winger.
Getting him in would be so disappointing, it'd simply be Sanchez mark 2

el3mel

Sanchez - Lukaku - Bale. :drool:

Dream attack

2 washed out players and a striker with crap touch.

But loads of shirts sold and heavy marketing. Will suit Woody to the core.

gaucho_10

I remember him looking a class above at the U23s(?) for Spain. Just didn’t feel like the right move at all at that stage of his career.
Wrong move for sure to come into the squad that was stacked with world class midfielders and doing so well.

He's got a great attitude on the pitch. Gives his all every time he plays and he is also arrogant, which is not always a bad thing.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!

Dream attack

I like how people are in here to moan at something that's probably not happening.

Last edited:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Feck Madrid, don't give them the opportunity to get rid of a declining injury-prone player. Ask yourself if Bale was at Utd under these same circumstances: would Madrid sign Bale? :D

Okey

There's lots of reasons why it's a better idea to sign a younger player with an eye on the future (for the record, my preferred option) than Bale, but I'm not buying this 'Bale is finished' narrative. He's still a top quality player, even if not as quick as he used to be. Easily a better footballer than everyone on our books at the moment. Injury prone, yes, as are Robben, KDB, etc etc. He's having a hard time somewhere he's no longer loved, but let's not suddenly make him out to be a washed up player. If we can't get one of the more progressive signings we want, a loan for Bale won't be the worst thing in the world to bridge the gap.

Last edited:

Johan07

Dream attack

How are those three players marketing phenomenons and would be spiking our shirt-sales? How many people do you see running about with a Lukaku shirt? Or Madridistas with a Bale? They would probably be torched by their co-fans. Same with Sanchez at OT.
If anything its the complete opposite so by your logic the club would stay away from this completely.
Even if everyone knows that this shirtselling stuff is a myth anyway since Adidas gets almost all of the money regardless of the sales. So you just made up a completely stupid argument without any factual basis. Congratulations.

el3mel

How are those three players marketing phenomenons and would be spiking our shirt-sales? How many people do you see running about with a Lukaku shirt? Or Madridistas with a Bale? They would probably be torched by their co-fans. Same with Sanchez at OT.
If anything its the complete opposite so by your logic the club would stay away from this completely.
Even if everyone knows that this shirtselling stuff is a myth anyway since Adidas gets almost all of the money regardless of the sales. So you just made up a completely stupid argument without any factual basis. Congratulations.
You must be kidding yourself if you think Bale won't be a marketing machine in England. Sanchez was a big marketing move as well and Woodward didn't stop talking about how many "retweets" and "likes" his signing tweet has generated. You're not watching the same sport I guess.

Champagne Football

Bale still has an awful lot to offer. Like Ronaldo and Giggs he's a natural athlete, who could play at the top well into his mid-thirties.

You get a lot of comments on here that the likes of Bale and Zaha are not good enough. The truth is that they are comfortable better than anything we have here now. Jadon Sancho, Declan Rice should be priority signings but if they're not fir sale then Bale and Zaha all the way.

M4nu4Life

I don't mind him on a 1 year loan, if we get rid of Sanchez, Mata, plus 1 or 2 more.

He would help out next year, while the young players like Rashford and Martial Develop.

You would need to pair him with a wing back, to make sure we get some width.

Johan07

You must be kidding yourself if you think Bale won't be a marketing machine in England. Sanchez was a big marketing move as well and Woodward didn't stop talking about how many "retweets" and "likes" his signing tweet has generated. You're not watching the same sport I guess.

Good for Adidas. Then. How many new shirts with Sanchez do you think they will sell after his perfomance this season?

el3mel

Good for Adidas. Then. How many new shirts with Sanchez do you think they will sell after his perfomance this season?
Yeah the shirt sales is so much a myth that Woodward mentioned it here himself in that tweet. Woody must be believing the same myth I guess.

Loads will want to buy a number 7 United shirt with a big star name player on it to wear and walk with it anywhere regardless of his performance.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I'd take him on a loan, with no obligation to buy, and on heavily subsidised wages. Like, 90% subsidised.

Since that won't be happening, Bale and Real can get fecked.

USREDEVIL

If we already had a really good squad and there were no other right wingers available he might be a good "fix" for the present. But what we need is almost an entire rebuild of the squad.

Johan07

Yeah the shirt sales is so much a myth that Woodward mentioned it here himself in that tweet. Woody must be believing the same myth I guess.

Loads will want to buy a number 7 United shirt with a big star name player on it to wear and walk with it anywhere regardless of his performance.
You understand the basic concept of us outsourcing the shirtsales to Adidas for an enormous sum of money and they reaping the profits of the shirtsales?
I am out of this discussion. Some posters ....

el3mel

You understand the basic concept of us outsourcing the shirtsales to Adidas for an enormous sum of money and they reaping the profits of the shirtsales?
You showed have been out of this discussion the second I posted this Woodward quote tweet. :lol: Goodbye.

United Pro

Bale who has never looked remotely interested in coming here, coming in, probably on Sanchez level wages.

What could possibly go wrong there?
I believe Bale's on about £650k a week wages, so quite a lot more than Sanchez's.

settembrini

Bale blatantly is not a 'top quality player' anymore and hasn't been for some time. He used to be a lightening quick goal scorer and fairly good creative force. Now he's lost his pace, has an average scoring record and creates little. If you don't watch the games then just look at his stats on whoscored.com or check out the lowlight video compilations that Madrid fans make of his performances. Here's a recent one:

And as for the whole 'he's struggling because the fans boo him/he's unhappy in Madrid' argument... that's just baloney. He gets booed because he's a ludicrously highly paid player who has been rubbish for ages, his own bad performances caused the boos, not the other way around. Madrid is Bale's dream club that he fought to move to and has stated over and over that he wants to stay at. If he can't perform well for them how is he going to do it for United, a team he has repeatedly rejected the chance to sign for.

United would be mental to sign Bale, even on a loan it doesn't make any sense as right wing is our weakest position and needs the most investment. The last thing we need is yet another fading star looking to United to boost his pension.

The Nani

If we were to sign Bale it would need to be on the following conditions:

- On loan
- Play as number 9
- If he’s injured for, say, four weeks we stop having to pay his wages until he’s fit to play again
Forget the last requirement. Unrealistic. Madrid can agree to pay half his wages or feck off.

I really don’t want him here at all, but if so he better be the cherry on top of four signings. In that case, whatever he brings is a bonus. If he’s one of three or four core signings then we’ll know absolutely nothing has changed.

Johan07

You showed have been out of this discussion the second I posted this Woodward quote tweet. :lol: Goodbye.
Not really since you do not seem to have read the tweet yourself. Where does he say that we reap any financial revenue from that except from a raised social media status?
You made a factual incorrect statement about our revenue from shirtsales to take a dig at Woodward. Man up to it.
We dont make any serious money from shirt sales. Its a myth and a tiresome argument people use just to have a dig at Woodward.
If you want to be educated you can read this for example: http://mufclatest.com/can-paul-pogbas-shirt-sales-pay-for-his-transfer-no-heres-why/
And even if you were fecking wrong to begin with just trying to be smart I dont know if Adidas will be selling even 10 Bale-shirts worldwide according to the sentiments here on the Caf if we do sign him.
EDIT
I can add this as well and maybe you will wake up tomorrow a ltb smarter. https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...fee-net-worth-contract-how-long-a8456191.html
Now I am really out.

Last edited:

Jacob

I like how Woody gets criticism for something he's not even done, let alone planning on doing. I'm all for Woody bashing otherwise.

el3mel

Not really since you do not seem to have read the tweet yourself. Where does he say that we reap any financial revenue from that except from a raised social media status?
You made a factual incorrect statement about our revenue from shirtsales to take a dig at Woodward. Man up to it.
We dont make any serious money from shirt sales. Its a myth and a tiresome argument people use just to have a dig at Woodward.
If you want to be educated you can read this for example: http://mufclatest.com/can-paul-pogbas-shirt-sales-pay-for-his-transfer-no-heres-why/
And even if you were fecking wrong to begin with just trying to be smart I dont know if Adidas will be selling even 10 Bale-shirts worldwide according to the sentiments here on the Caf if we do sign him.
EDIT
I can add this as well and maybe you will wake up tomorrow a ltb smarter. https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...fee-net-worth-contract-how-long-a8456191.html
Now I am really out.
You can post as many useless links as you want. The quote from Woodward mouth proves the club, and represented by Woodward, cares so much about shirt sales number that he was so proud of mentioning it in the financial conference in front of the investors.

Again, goodbye.

SAFMUTD

This is exactly whats wrong with the club...

Withnail

Ok, I've had my doubts, but that performance against Liverpool was basically the ultimate United audition.

Issued a 'come get me' plea in his post match interview.

Give him what he wants and lets bring this fine lad home to the PL.

What say you lot?
Didn't notice this was posted in 2018 so deleting

Mark Pawelek

Stupid idea. United need to replace their defence. Just as Roy Keane says. Need a defence who all have excellent touch, can pass consistently well, work hard, and concentrate for 95 minutes. Is that too much to ask for rewarding players with £100k / week wages?

jem

You seem to be taking the whole thing strangely personally....odd.

Johan07

You seem to be taking the whole thing strangely personally....odd.
Nah, I just disapprove of certain posters spreading fake news in a time when we really should stick together. And how is pointing out facts taking anything personal?

Withnail

The demise of Gareth Bale is severely overstated IMO. Or at least it is not clear. It was less than 12 months ago he single-handedly decided the CL-final. And thank god for that.
The Real team this year has been totally out of sorts and I should not put to much blame for this on him. Then Ramos, Marcelo, Kroos, Modric, Benzema are also done for.
Its funny how much one season can do in fans eyes.
I dont want to spend too much money on Bale either, but this summer if any there might be a possibility to get a good fecking deal for Real for someone that still might be a complete gamechanger if fit and motivated.
And you can say a lot about Bale, but the guy is a complete professional and he might do well back in England where he does not have to go to dinner at 11pm with his teammates.
Such a professional he never bothered learning the language so can't communicate with his team mates and has ostracised himself.

He's hardly the big dressing room personality United need and is a permanent sick note. I'd be very dubious he would be fit long enough to make an impression

Johan07

Such a professional he never bothered learning the language so can't communicate with his team mates and has ostracised himself.

He's hardly the big dressing room personality United need and is a permanent sick note. I'd be very dubious he would be fit long enough to make an impression
Its a myth that he does not speak Spanish. As it is that Valencia never bothered to learn English. They both have one thing in common though: they are not the most open personalities; you could even say shy; and they dont want to embarrase themselves in front of cameras. What has never been in doubt about Bale is his commitment to the game, training etc.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Yes, the club being financially astute is absolutely what is wrong with the club now.
Them signing players for marketing purposes. That isn't an issue to you?

Bragging about social media interactions - fecking cringe.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
It was at an investors meeting. For investors, not fans.
And the information is there for fans to see. We signed him for marketing purposes - Ed and other members behind the scenes are killing us from within.