Let’s talk about Lindelof

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It’s a bit of a weird one. I’m really starting to like him, he’s really growing into the role, he’s showing some real instinct in sniffing out danger, positioning well and timing some excellent tackles but we’re still haemorrhaging goals.

His comfort on the ball is obviously a plus but I think there’s still more to come from him when it comes to his passing.

So what do we reckon? Some good moments shining over average play? Good form that he will struggle to maintain?

C3Pique

He's turning into a typical United CB. By which I mean he is world class for 89 minutes but guaranteed at least one costly blooper per game.

Darkhorsez

Very good concecutive games - this is the key - he is showing consistency in his play. His confidence is growing. There was an instance in the Juve game that there were no easy options for a pass and he dribbled past a player and progressed through their half and made a nice pass. Hope he can keep this up.

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
I like him. He's good on the ball and his defending is improving. He is still not in his prime and will only get better.

I still think that Blind is better than him and all our other CBs. One day I will get over it, but I'm still annoyed how we wasn't played more at CB and allowed to leave .

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He's always been significantly better than the Cafe proclaimed him to be. For a while now he's been under the microscope, with every aspect of his game coming in for intense scrutiny. Invariably minor faults will always be found, but for him they are blown entirely out of proportion. He's never going to be a world class CB, but there aren't many of those around anymore.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Can anyone with knowledge of the Portuguese league remind us of his mentality and professionalism? Quality aside it looks like Jose has really taken to Lindelof's character. Which I found surprising because he sounded like he couldn't be bothered. Obviously I'm no body language or speech expert :lol:

sam147

How good was Alderweireld at 23? Lindelof has all the qualities to be a top defender. He needs to bulk up a bit more. I still think he is better at LCB rather than RCB. When we buy another CB I dont want to see him dropped when it should be Smalling who gets dropped. Sadly, I think Jose likes one big dominant CB. If we can somehow get Skriniar he can do both roles. So yes Lindelof has been decent but he needs to continue his form, he is always solid in terms of position, solid on the ball and tackling. He doesnt really have a leader in the backline. DDG is not commanding, Smallings voice wouldn't be out of place in our womens team and Shaw is a kid himself.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Not a man mountain like Van Dijk and never will be, but, to be fair, drastic improvement recently.

tjb

He is imroving... But quality wise him smalling and young bring us down. Every long ball seems to stick with tree m in defence

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Can anyone with knowledge of the Portuguese league remind us of his mentality and professionalism? Quality aside it looks like Jose has really taken to Lindelof's character. Which I found surprising because he sounded like he couldn't be bothered. Obviously I'm no body language or speech expert :lol:
He was nicknamed the Ice Man. Cool under pressure. I watched him a few times when we were linked with him and liked his style.

I've been a critic of his time here though, and unfortunately those mistakes mean he doesn't inspire me with confidence everytime he goes on the pitch.

He's on his way to turning that around though.

Reddy Rederson

Some just take longer to settle than others. Glad to see he’s finding his rhythm. Hopefully a long successful career at United is in his future.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Honestly thought he was an imposter. Last few games he's played really really well. Hope that continues.

Off topic: Also hope players keep playing well after signing ludicrously high contracts.

deafepl

How good was Alderweireld at 23? Lindelof has all the qualities to be a top defender. He needs to bulk up a bit more. I still think he is better at LCB rather than RCB. When we buy another CB I dont want to see him dropped when it should be Smalling who gets dropped. Sadly, I think Jose likes one big dominant CB. If we can somehow get Skriniar he can do both roles. So yes Lindelof has been decent but he needs to continue his form, he is always solid in terms of position, solid on the ball and tackling. He doesnt really have a leader in the backline. DDG is not commanding, Smallings voice wouldn't be out of place in our womens team and Shaw is a kid himself.
Are you kidding right? We all knew he'd be best on RCB than LCB, Bailly and Smalling couldn't play on LCB because they are not comfortable. I'm sure we'll get to see more out from him when we move him to RCB as soon as we buy top LCB the likes of Kouliablily.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
He never was on the same level as Ricardo Carvalho, Jorge Andrade, Fernando Couto, Pepe, Otamendi, only to name a few. Curiously he arrived at Benfica and played with Cancelo, Helder Costa from Wolves and Bernardo Silva on the under 19's and later on the B team.

Sparky Rhiwabon

You have to play a CB consistently over a long run of games, alongside a regular partner, before you can start to judge him. Now, we’re starting to see what he can do.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I’m still not sold on him at all.

But I will say he has played some of his best football in a United shirt in the past month or so.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He never was on the same level as Ricardo Carvalho, Jorge Andrade, Fernando Couto, Pepe, Otamendi, only to name a few. Curiously he arrived at Benfica and played with Cancelo, Helder Costa from Wolves and Bernardo Silva on the under 19's and later on the B team.
That fills me with confidence :lol:

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
That fills me with confidence :lol:
Not talking about professionalism. Nothing to point on that matter. After all he is Swedish. Just saying he can improve but would be surprised if one day he will turn into a top 5 player on his role.

Ekeke

He's okay. Flavour of the month at the moment with his mistakes being looked past because hes mostly doing well and isnt Chris Smalling. Its good for him that he's improving again after his second slow start to the season because he'll need to be doing better to compete for the spot next to whoever we sign as our new CB.

Womp

idiot
I like him. He's good on the ball and his defending is improving. He is still not in his prime and will only get better.

I still think that Blind is better than him and all our other CBs. One day I will get over it, but I'm still annoyed how we wasn't played more at CB and allowed to leave .
If a player who is spending his prime years back at Ajax is better than all our CB's, we must be doing something really wrong.

binary bot
Reminds me of Daley Blind actually - excellent at reading at game, but not blessed with the physical attributes to make him a top CB. Needs a physical disciplined leader beside him to get the best out of him, hence looking better with Smalling at the back.

He's good enough to play regularly here, but probably not first choice long term. I don't think Mourinho's system plays to his strengths.

MAME DIOUF 32

Certainly improving but I'm not seeing defensive instinct. I think he's reactive, and as a consequence will always be a little behind the top attackers. I'm concerned about what a fluid City attack could do to him at the weekend.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He's only going to improve. I did say in the Lindelof thread when we signed him that I was prepared to give him 18 months to adjust. Looks like he's finding his feet. Happy for the Swede!!

sam147

Are you kidding right? We all knew he'd be best on RCB than LCB, Bailly and Smalling couldn't play on LCB because they are not comfortable. I'm sure we'll get to see more out from him when we move him to RCB as soon as we buy top LCB the likes of Kouliablily.
No I am not kidding. I dont know who you include in 'we' unless you speak for all fans? If you do your research you'd see he played LCB for Benfica when we signed him and that is his best position. Gives him the chance to switch play and run forward. He has always been more comfortable at LCB. Do tell me when he has played RCB and how many good games he has had there? Hope this helps.

AlecHDR

If a player who is spending his prime years back at Ajax is better than all our CB's, we must be doing something really wrong.
We are. Our recruitment sucks. Our best defender can't pass (Smalling), our best passer in defence is just now getting to grips with United and the PL (Lindelof), the defenders who on paper might have the most tools to succeed are rash and injury prone (Bailly and Jones), and then there is Rojo who seems like a walking penalty/red card waiting to happen.

Blind was a very good defender and excellent passer which by default made him our best, even if he wasn't world class.

haram

We are. Our recruitment sucks. Our best defender can't pass (Smalling), our best passer in defence is just now getting to grips with United and the PL (Lindelof), the defenders who on paper might have the most tools to succeed are rash and injury prone (Bailly and Jones), and then there is Rojo who seems like a walking penalty/red card waiting to happen.

Blind was a very good defender and excellent passer which by default made him our best, even if he wasn't world class.
If Blind was that good he wouldn’t be playing for Ajax right now.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Him dribbling past Ronaldo out of defence to put us on the front foot of attack was all it took for him to really seal it for me yesterday. Let the lad play his football

AlecHDR

If Blind was that good he wouldn’t be playing for Ajax right now.
White text? That is literally the post I replied to. Him being at Ajax doesn't mean he isn't our best defender. It just means, as I explained, that all our defenders are not that great, for various reasons.

Aloysius's Back 3

Lindelof - Smalling - Blind would have been a fantastic attacking defensive line with a mix of everything.

If Jose didn't have to wait for mistakes to occur before changing the his tactics & first team - that would have been our best defensive line this season.

goofygoofygoofy

I remember Carra 'rhymes with (Rui) Faria sort of' Carragher saying he felt sorry for him and lots of fans saying he wasn't good enough for United. It's *funny* that him and the two other players that have been debated a lot - Martial and Pogba - are the ones performing. Maybe Mourinho is onto something with this *digging out* players lark.

deafepl

No I am not kidding. I dont know who you include in 'we' unless you speak for all fans? If you do your research you'd see he played LCB for Benfica when we signed him and that is his best position. Gives him the chance to switch play and run forward. He has always been more comfortable at LCB. Do tell me when he has played RCB and how many good games he has had there? Hope this helps.
I have watched him plenty of time, even at Benfica when we were first linked with him, he played as RCB most of the time there, sometime as RB. LCB is not his position, RCB is his prefered. According to Jose, "Technically Victor is good. I am ‘punishing’ him a little bit because I play him on the left side. He is better on the right side but so are the others and my option is to put him on the left because technically he is the best so he is the one that can compensate the fact it’s not his real position"

Patrick08

I have watched him plenty of time, even at Benfica when we were first linked with him, he played as RCB most of the time there, sometime as RB. LCB is not his position, RCB is his prefered. According to Jose, "Technically Victor is good. I am ‘punishing’ him a little bit because I play him on the left side. He is better on the right side but so are the others and my option is to put him on the left because technically he is the best so he is the one that can compensate the fact it’s not his real position"
He had his best season on the left, and also is having his best form on the left here, so its better to stick to what's working for him.

haram

He had his best season on the left, and also is having his best form on the left here, so its better to stick to what's working for him.
How many times has he actually played on the right here?

cheeky_backheel

White text? That is literally the post I replied to. Him being at Ajax doesn't mean he isn't our best defender. It just means, as I explained, that all our defenders are not that great, for various reasons.
Blind was a midfielder masquerading as a CB.

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
He's a young defender in a new league which is much more physically tough and faster paced than he's used to. It's no surprise he's plays better at international level and in the CL, both competitions tend to be less frantic.

I think he will develop and get used to the pace of the PL sooner, rather than later If he is given the chance, in a settled back four.

Out of all our CBs he's definitely the most comfortable on the ball and given the chance I think he will turn into a good organiser of the defence and grow in confidence in coming out with the ball, passing out from the back and starting off attacks from defence.