Let’s talk about Lindelof

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I’m glad he’s had a few good games but look being able to dribble out of defence occasionally and being able to pass better than smalling doesn’t make you a good CB. He’s still got a glaring gap in his game, being able to attack high balls and in fact heading in general. There were a few moments versus Juventus where he either let the ball go over his head, jumped under the ball or simply headed it up in the air rather than away. I don’t know whether he can improve this but I’m glad to see he’s getting his ground game together.

golden_blunder

Staff
Happy with him right now. If we adopted a more posessive style if would bring out more of his qualities.

My biggest issue with him though is that he doesn't snuff out danger fast enough. He regularly backs out of 50/50s. Watching him closely since the past two international breaks he randomly doesn't contest for aerial balls sometimes and just lets his attackers win. I need him to add a lot more aggression to his game. be more ruthless with protecting the box and not letting attackers bully him.

Right now he is okay but lets see what Mourinho decides over the next couple of months. for all we know we might have someone replace him by January.
Glad I’m not the only one who hasn’t developed selective blindness. There were numerous examples of this in the match versus Juventus which is being held up as his new best performance.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Hasn't he done comparatively better in Europe than in the premier league? There is reason for optimism that he might find his niche sooner or later.

golden_blunder

Staff
Yes and that could happen to any defender. Sometimes you have to give credit to the attacker for finding that space rather than blaming the defender. Juve conceded two goals - one of which was an own goal with their exceptional defence.

Overall in the two matches against Juve, Lindelof had Ronaldo in his pocket which is not an easy feat.

Also, he was proactive on a number of occasions especially that header pass that Ronaldo tried. Any other defender and he doesn't read it imo but Lindelof stayed back and cut that out.
:lol: how very Trumpesque of you

Trizy

Credit where it's due he's had 2-3 brilliant games in a row. But because he's been completely useless since joining it makes me very skeptical that's things have actually clicked and he is now always going to be this good.

Watch him have a mare vs City :lol:. Having said that, I think City's lack of height/physical forwards could play to his strengths.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
I posted this in his performances thread but these are my thoughts:

He's definitely improving but some of the comments in here are OTT, I would say he had a solid game apart from one lapse in concentration. Having just watched the game back I feel like we take a lot of Smalling's aerial wins/clearances (and his general physicality) for granted - near enough every set piece / corner is cleared by him, Lindelof just doesn't have this in his game.

Ronaldo was fairly quiet last night and at OT and I think that's largely down to Smalling winning the physical battle, and Lindelof covered a few times as well to give credit.

The goal is obviously world class but Lindelof's positioning was wrong to begin with (too deep), he then loses sight of Ronaldo and before he knows it he is chasing him. Not a massive error but as others have said in this thread, I would have expected other (more physical) defenders to have dealt with it better, he needs to be more physical - had he kept Ronaldo in touching distance he could have disturbed his run but Ronaldo ran through completely unchallenged. It's almost as if Ronaldo knew he wasn't having much joy vs Smalling so pulled onto Lindelof and got his goal.

The most promising part of his performance last night for me was there was a couple of times he was bringing the ball out of the back and finding the right pass, something he had a reputation for when we signed him but up until recently we haven't seen too much of it. Really like him as he comes across very well and there are have definitely been improvement but there is still a long way to go IMO.

I think perhaps because our expectations have been set so low by Lindelof's performances at the start of the season, we are perhaps getting over-excited by these decent performances. But there's no doubt he is improving which is good.

He has been very good recently but part of it is down to who we have played. Juventus twice, Chelsea, Bournemouth, Everton. A good portion of the football he has faced has been against good teams who play quick passes and make lots of runs. He's got good awareness and reading of the game so he copes well with that type of play. He has always struggled against the teams that fire in long balls all game long. It seems like him and Smalling are starting to build an understanding of who deals with what, with Smalling taking care of aerial threats, which is good to see.

AngliaRed

I like him. Starting to get some momentum and form under him. Would like him with Bailly, who is still our best CB.

golden_blunder

Staff
I like him. Starting to get some momentum and form under him. Would like him with Bailly, who is still our best CB.
Smalling is our best defender, Bailly has been erratic when fit.

But the main point is that both Bailly and Lindelof have major weaknesses in hearing the ball therefore we shouldn’t play them together. It’s Smalling +1 for me, at least until we get better CBs

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
He isn't good enough to be a first choice CB for a team looking to win the PL - that's just my opinion, hopefully I'm wrong.

And maybe with a genuine World Class CB next to him he'd be fine... but then that's probably true of a lot of CBs...

RedorDead21

He isn't good enough to be a first choice CB for a team looking to win the PL - that's just my opinion, hopefully I'm wrong.

And maybe with a genuine World Class CB next to him he'd be fine... but then that's probably true of a lot of CBs...
I think we'll only know that for sure at the end of this season. He deserves a chance to prove himself over that period. Hell Smalling has had about 8 years.

Foxbatt

The Ronaldo goal was a thing of beauty. He always had the pace on Lindelof. Not much he could have done on thst apart from fouling him.
I think knowing your partner will bail you out is important and that's an issue with Smalling. One never knows how good or how bad he is going to be.
If we can get a solid CB like Vidic Lindelof would be a great player for us.

James Peril

Yes and that could happen to any defender. Sometimes you have to give credit to the attacker for finding that space rather than blaming the defender. Juve conceded two goals - one of which was an own goal with their exceptional defence.

Overall in the two matches against Juve, Lindelof had Ronaldo in his pocket which is not an easy feat.

Also, he was proactive on a number of occasions especially that header pass that Ronaldo tried. Any other defender and he doesn't read it imo but Lindelof stayed back and cut that out.
He literally scored a goal after Lindelöf failed to match his instincts and run, literally! That having someone in your pocket-expression is the most overused and stupid thing I hear. In no way did Lindelöf control Ronaldo in these games, just not at all. Ronaldo had an assist in the first game, he had an insane shot saved by de Gea, he teed up Cuadrado to miss an open goal from five yards out, he had a volley saved by a knee in the second game... and that’s just top of mind.

People see what fits their agendas, let’s try and be objective. We have kept one clean sheet this season in the league.... one!

EwanI Ted

There's plenty of time for him to step up, so I wouldnt jettison him just yet. But even during this run of better form, he looks to me like a solid mid-table Prem level defender and not much more.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I think we'll only know that for sure at the end of this season. He deserves a chance to prove himself over that period. Hell Smalling has had about 8 years.
Oh I agree totally - not saying we should look to get rid, or not play him.

More saying, lets bring in a genuine World Class CB and then give our current CBs a chance next to whoever that is.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
We should compare a 23 years old couto, pepe, andn otamendi. Not the 30 years one
And that's more or less what I was doing. Related with what I saw in Portugal must be said.

Not am I saying he was bad too, actually I think he had 2 problems adapting. Not being a physical player to cope with the intesity and speed of the game on Engand, and the second one is related with Mourinho who was always switching the defensive line. Then the lack of confidence did the rest.

ROFLUTION

The Ronaldo goal was a thing of beauty. He always had the pace on Lindelof. Not much he could have done on thst apart from fouling him.
I think knowing your partner will bail you out is important and that's an issue with Smalling. One never knows how good or how bad he is going to be.
The other big chance for Juve / Khedira was Lindelof's man though. He was good in that game and had some good games recently, but positioning and focusing has always been his big problem. It's not a great trade to have when you're a defender.

I just hink there's so much better options out there than waiting for Lindelöf. Experience and leadership can and should be bought for a big club like us I think. Alderweireld is still the best option imo.

Kostov

I criticized him a lot when I felt he is hopeless, but the last couple of games, I've been positively surprised. I would love it if he made me eat my words and establish himself.

Ekeke

Smalling dealt with a similar ball over the top from Bonucci to Ronaldo in the first 10 mins. He kept up with him and didnt let him get goalside.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's done fairly well off late. I still have doubts over his his ability to dominate defensively.

Offsideagain

There is a good player in there somewhere. Bigger question is what has happened to Bailly? I thought we had found a gem when he signed if a little erratic and a potential red card merchant. Speaking of which, where is Rojo these days?

If we sign a class centre back in January, someone will have to go. Bailly and Rojo Maybe or even Phil Jones.

Shark

@NotShark
He literally scored a goal after Lindelöf failed to match his instincts and run, literally! That having someone in your pocket-expression is the most overused and stupid thing I hear. In no way did Lindelöf control Ronaldo in these games, just not at all. Ronaldo had an assist in the first game, he had an insane shot saved by De Gea, he teed up Cuadrado to miss an open goal from five yards out, he had a volley saved by a knee in the second game... and that’s just top of mind.

People see what fits their agendas, let’s try and be objective. We have kept one clean sheet this season in the league.... one!
Pretty spot on unfortunately.

vidic blood & sand

It’s a bit of a weird one. I’m really starting to like him, he’s really growing into the role, he’s showing some real instinct in sniffing out danger, positioning well and timing some excellent tackles but we’re still haemorrhaging goals.

His comfort on the ball is obviously a plus but I think there’s still more to come from him when it comes to his passing.

So what do we reckon? Some good moments shining over average play? Good form that he will struggle to maintain?
What's sad is that Mourinho had no confidence in him, and it's affected the entire defensive line. Mourinho is a dick.

Mcking

Smalling deserves a lot of credit for babysitting and covering for him too, thereby giving him the platform to adapt and play himself into form. Having a CB as dominant as Smalling have helped him really well

FrantikChicken

Shocker: young player with only 1 season of 1st team football is now improving after settling into Manchester United and getting a run of games.

The lad lad obviously has talent, otherwise he wouldn't have been bought for 30 million. He still has a lot of improving to do and I just hope people keep faith in him as he matures and invitably makes a mistake here and there.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I'm a fan of his. The problem for me, is that i don't think Smalling is a great partner for him. If he had someone like an Alderweireld next to him, i think that could possibly elevate him to another level. But Smalling is just a bag of nerves, and as a result he doesn't settle the back four at all.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
What's sad is that Mourinho had no confidence in him, and it's affected the entire defensive line. Mourinho is a dick.
Gawd. Remember when Dave arrived? And he was making mistakes? And was rotated regularly with Lindegaard? Was that Fergie being a dick? He's a big boy at a big club. He's made mistakes in the spotlight because he's always in the spotlight but he's learning and toughening up. He's first choice now because that dick has made him first choice and is getting credit from Jose and everyone else because he is earning it. As it should be.

Adcuth

Do we think a partnership with De Ligt would be fruitful?

SwedishFish

Needs a more assured partner next to him. Lot has been said earlier about why his performances in the NT and United were so contrasting. It's definitely helping him to have Andreas Granqvist next to him in the NT and to have someone with experience and stability to rely on as your partner.

I hope we bring someone in come January to partner with him and shuffle back Smalling to the bench where he belongs. It's a piece of the defensive puzzle that never really has been addressed for so many years now.

vidic blood & sand

Gawd. Remember when Dave arrived? And he was making mistakes? And was rotated regularly with Lindegaard? Was that Fergie being a dick? He's a big boy at a big club. He's made mistakes in the spotlight because he's always in the spotlight but he's learning and toughening up. He's first choice now because that dick has made him first choice and is getting credit from Jose and everyone else because he is earning it. As it should be.
Give me a break. Injuries have forced him to pick Lindelof with Smalling. His confidence is growing because he's not a bad player.
Shaw's confidence is also growing because he's now playing well, in spite of being doubted.

el3mel

Do we think a partnership with De Ligt would be fruitful?
Smalling is a good partner for him as they both cover each other weaknesses. Lindelof better in getting the ball from the back while Smalling cover the aerial aspects and physicality issues. Bailly and Lindelof for example will never work as they're both shite in the air. As for De Ligt I don't think he'll have the same dominance in the air as Smalling.