Let's all laugh at PSG

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
394 club appearances, 85 goals, 98 assists, 45% of matches played he was directly involved in a goal. As a right sided midfielder in a time before wingers became inside forward/strikers.

77 CL appearances, 14 goals, 27 assists, 53% of matches played he was directly involved in a goal.

He played 7 seasons at the club and got the most assists in the league in 3 of them seasons. He is 9th all time in PL assists and has the least appearances of anyone in the top 10. Only Fabregas has a better assist per game ratio than Beckham in PL history. Bergkamp and David Silva have an equal assist per game ratio. Beckham was not an attacking midfielder either like the other 3, Bergkamp was close to being a Striker as well.

From 1998 to 2002 he was arguably the best player for Man United, it would be difficult to name even 2 or 3 players that you could put up a good argument for as being better in that period.

Aside from arguably the best crossing ability of all time and GOAT level dead ball ability, he had stamina and work rate up there with the very best. He was also very good at tracking back and defending. In todays game he would be an amazing defensive winger without even including his attacking side of the game.

If Beckham stayed his whole career at United, in my opinion he would be seen as a bigger legend than Scholes and possibly even Giggs. Beckham was godlike for Man United and the club would never have won the treble if not for him (Obviously would never have won it without other players, but Beckham had the most influence that season.

Even ignoring all of the above, them 2 crosses from corners in the CL final to wrap up the treble would make him a club legend.
Great post

meamth

394 club appearances, 85 goals, 98 assists, 45% of matches played he was directly involved in a goal. As a right sided midfielder in a time before wingers became inside forward/strikers.

77 CL appearances, 14 goals, 27 assists, 53% of matches played he was directly involved in a goal.

He played 7 seasons at the club and got the most assists in the league in 3 of them seasons. He is 9th all time in PL assists and has the least appearances of anyone in the top 10. Only Fabregas has a better assist per game ratio than Beckham in PL history. Bergkamp and David Silva have an equal assist per game ratio. Beckham was not an attacking midfielder either like the other 3, Bergkamp was close to being a Striker as well.

From 1998 to 2002 he was arguably the best player for Man United, it would be difficult to name even 2 or 3 players that you could put up a good argument for as being better in that period.

Aside from arguably the best crossing ability of all time and GOAT level dead ball ability, he had stamina and work rate up there with the very best. He was also very good at tracking back and defending. In todays game he would be an amazing defensive winger without even including his attacking side of the game.

If Beckham stayed his whole career at United, in my opinion he would be seen as a bigger legend than Scholes and possibly even Giggs. Beckham was godlike for Man United and the club would never have won the treble if not for him (Obviously would never have won it without other players, but Beckham had the most influence that season.

Even ignoring all of the above, them 2 crosses from corners in the CL final to wrap up the treble would make him a club legend.
Not just that, Beckham is the first player to be considered as celebrity status. He made Manchester United a commercial behemoth.

I live in Malaysia and I didn't know shit about Manchester United until I knew Becks.

meamth

I think PSG has gone stale. Since they've signed Neymar, they didn't do shit in world football to be considered one of the greatest force.

Got into the CL final was their peak, and that's it.

Maybe signing Neymar affected them so much, that the transfers followed after that is just abysmal.

RashyForPM

I think PSG has gone stale. Since they've signed Neymar, they didn't do shit in world football to be considered one of the greatest force.

Got into the CL final was their peak, and that's it.

Maybe signing Neymar affected them so much, that the transfers followed after that is just abysmal.
Their recruitment has been a-bit all over the place.
They seem to be signing every average player they can get their hands on now. Ander (much as I loved his passion), Diallo, Florenzi, Kean etc. The most noteworthy thing they’ve done since signing Neymar, bar getting the easiest run ever to the CL final last year (we’d have made that final with PSG’s run against eternal bottlers Dortmund, Atalanta and Leipzig), was Khelaifi saying they could buy Ronaldo. I actually think PSG are pretty poorly run. They’ll never win the CL if they keep going like this.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Great post and I agree with almost all of it.

The issue however is that Beckham didn’t spend the rest of his career at United so none of your penultimate paragraph is true.

Rather his ‘alice band’ protest challenged fans to back him or SAF over a freak incident and he subsequently left the club on very bad terms which damaged his emotional relationship with many fans.

Becks was consistently world class while he was with us. But it was for a relatively short period vs genuine legends we’ve been lucky to have from that era.

Himannv

I don't think staying your whole career at United matters much in terms of achieving legend status. Charlton, Law and Best certainly didn't end their careers at United and they're in the top 3. I do agree with the point that he may not be as good a player as those three and hence may be ranked lower.

meamth

Great post and I agree with almost all of it.

The issue however is that Beckham didn’t spend the rest of his career at United so none of your penultimate paragraph is true.

Rather his ‘alice band’ protest challenged fans to back him or SAF over a freak incident and he subsequently left the club on very bad terms which damaged his emotional relationship with many fans.

Becks was consistently world class while he was with us. But it was for a relatively short period vs genuine legends we’ve been lucky to have from that era.
Thing is I've visited Old Trafford last year and Beckham is one of the legends in the museum!

Same as in the website. Beckham will always be United legend even if he left the club during his prime.

EDIT:
Most important thing that make him a legend is he was produced by the United academy, there is no way our own fans cannot call him a legend..

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Of course PSG have many injuries but their squad would only be "good" without Mbappe.......they must keep him because otherwise they have no chance to reach a Champions League final again in the next years.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

Great post 100% correct. I’d have him in a bracket with Robson, Keane, Ronaldo in terms of importance and influence on the team from the players I’ve watched play for us. His quality and work rate were world class

Charlie Foley

Great post. From 98-02 Roy Keane was our best player though

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Thing is I've visited Old Trafford last year and Beckham is one of the legends in the museum!

Same as in the website. Beckham will always be United legend even if he left the club during his prime.

EDIT:
Most important thing that make him a legend is he was produced by the United academy, there is no way our own fans cannot call him a legend..
Hmm.

As the word ‘legend’ literally means telling the story of a person to future generations, then you are obviously 100% correct, given the club itself is retelling Beckham’s story 20 years after he left.

And yet still I don’t feel the same way, no matter their propaganda :lol: so I’ll concede Becks is a Legend for Manchester United, the club, but just not for me as a fan!

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
They seem to be signing every average player they can get their hands on now. Ander (much as I loved his passion), Diallo, Florenzi, Kean etc. The most noteworthy thing they’ve done since signing Neymar, bar getting the easiest run ever to the CL final last year (we’d have made that final with PSG’s run against eternal bottlers Dortmund, Atalanta and Leipzig), was Khelaifi saying they could buy Ronaldo. I actually think PSG are pretty poorly run. They’ll never win the CL if they keep going like this.
I believe they can only spend £50m a year due to Mbappe and Neymar. It’s why they end up loaning some average players in. Not sure how good Florenzi is anymore after numerous ACL injuries.

unless I’m forgetting someone, outside the front two and Marquinhos. I wouldn’t take anyone else at United. Maybe Kimpembe

RashyForPM

I believe they can only spend £50m a year due to Mbappe and Neymar. It’s why they end up loaning some average players in. Not sure how good Florenzi is anymore after numerous ACL injuries.

unless I’m forgetting someone, outside the front two and Marquinhos. I wouldn’t take anyone else at United. Maybe Kimpembe
Well, snake and Icardi have attitude problems, so I certainly wouldn’t take them as well. I would say you’re forgetting Verratti though, as that guy is an excellent diminutive ball player in midfield. He would transform us if he came and allow us to field a midfield of:

Verratti———Fred
———Bruno———

Agree with the rest though. Ander, who is probably only slightly superior to McT and Matic, has already once teased us with high wage demands, as he has every right to do.

Lay

Well, snake and Icardi have attitude problems, so I certainly wouldn’t take them as well. I would say you’re forgetting Verratti though, as that guy is an excellent diminutive ball player in midfield. He would transform us if he came and allow us to field a midfield of:

Verratti———Fred
———Bruno———

Agree with the rest though. Ander, who is probably only slightly superior to McT and Matic, has already once teased us with high wage demands, as he has every right to do.
How could I forget! He’s my favourite midfielder :lol: too many injuries but he’s brilliant

meamth

Hmm.

As the word ‘legend’ literally means telling the story of a person to future generations, then you are obviously 100% correct, given the club itself is retelling Beckham’s story 20 years after he left.

And yet still I don’t feel the same way, no matter their propaganda :lol: so I’ll concede Becks is a Legend for Manchester United, the club, but just not for me as a fan!
But still, I would be telling my kid, there was a legendary United no.7 who wasn't fast, and skillful...but he has the best right foot ever to deliver crosses. His name is David Beckham! :drool:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Hmm.

But still, I would be telling my kid, there was a legendary United no.7 who wasn't fast, and skillful...but he has the best right foot ever to deliver crosses. His name is David Beckham! :drool:
I certainly think Beckhams ability to take free kicks, hit crosses from anywhere and land a pass wherever he wanted it is legendary in it's own right.

He might not be Messi/Ronaldo level but he was a huge part of our treble team, i'm sure many people will still talk about Beckham in the next generation, especially as crossing seems a dying art.

Eric Cantona

Beckham is the sole reason why a lot of people started following United. From a marketing standpoint he was our Messi in the new era.
I can categorically say I started following Man Utd because of him.

RUCK4444

Beckham is the sole reason why a lot of people started following United. From a marketing standpoint he was our Messi in the new era.
Yeah that’s true.

For me though I can say for sure I started following United because of Cantona.

Those two players must have attracted a huge proportion of our fanbase in their prime.

Sweet Square

Great post and a brilliant response to some of shite that gets posted on here.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Of course fans were not happy the way Becks left but fans are very rarely happy when a great player leaves them. He made up with the club and SAF anyway, he received a tremendous reception from the fans at OT when he returned for the first time in 2010 when we played Milan and he has been at OT since many times. I don’t see the issue.

GenZRed

anyone who thinks Beckham is “2nd tier” is a fool. I imagine it’s just people kicking back about his celebrity.
Beckham was immense for us in that treble winning season and a great player throughout his time here. I think you are right, his off-field fame seems to cloud people's judgement.

Glorio

Vs Real Madrid Becks is in the doghouse, sitting on the bench and we're getting spanked, Fergie swallows his pride and he comes on and changes the tide of the game. Emotions can do many things to your memory, but that's how I remember it! :lol:

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Beckham was immense for us in that treble winning season and a great player throughout his time here. I think you are right, his off-field fame seems to cloud people's judgement.
He was immense in 1996/97, incredibly immense in the treble season, and immense from 2000-2002 as well. In the other seasons he wasn’t necessarily immense, but still very good. Even in his last season when he was almost with 1 foot out of the club he still made good contributions (albeit not as many as in his previous seasons).

tenpoless

When Mbappe went there I genuinely thought they had a plan to conquer Europe meticulously done. But it seems like their only plan was to buy Mbappe and Neymar and let their magic carry the club through. It does not work that way.

meamth

When Mbappe went there I genuinely thought they had a plan to conquer Europe meticulously done. But it seems like their only plan was to buy Mbappe and Neymar and let their magic carry the club through. It does not work that way.
It seems Mbappe and Neymar were just their master plan to put PSG on the map.

Other investments like City, have been done. State of the art Training/Academy complex to be completed in 2022...

Sylar

Since the 6-1

I thought they were getting there under Ancelotti but Emery set them back years imo
Even after the 6-1 they still seemed to wipe away teams in the French league and were always easy picks for accas

Since the United game they've been all over the place. Granted you could say that for a few teams since the pandemic hit and the non fan factor but psg are no longer go to guys to boost a bet

Web of Bissaka

Yeap.
He basically made United famous outside of Europe.
His global influence is just godlike massive - made football cool too bringing in new football fans.

I wouldn't say he's the Messi of this new era. I don't think Messi is the only one, frankly both Ronaldo and Messi have that pull influence of fans globally towards football especially to start following United+Real and Barca respectively. None of them on their own have the influence Becks once had single-handedly.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

As crazy a statement as this sounds, there’s definitely some truth to it. I know first hand as my cousin in the states supported United because of him & then started following Madrid.

People have underestimated Beckham’s influence as the years have gone by.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

nah, I'm dead serious, to me beckham is second tier
Did you ever watch him play for us? He was the most important player of our greatest ever achievement. Criminally underrated

Without Beckham we don’t win the treble in 99. The only other player you can say that about is maybe Keane. He was instrumental.