Let's discuss our attack

kidbob

What is the story with our attackers constantly ignoring the obvious pass in attacking situations? Against Liverpool there was at least 3 occasions where we shot at goal when there was a simple pass that would have put someone in a good position for a cross or a run at their defender in the box. I seem to recall things like this happening in every single game this season.

Also we could do well with having Maguire in a threatening position on free kicks and corners. He wasted for them stupid headers back across.

Also everyone of our attackers is terrified of making runs towards the near post on crosses.

None of these things require anyone to be some sort of genius footballer to do.

Luke1995

I keep hearing that we have only Rashford Martial and Greenwood, but what about the kids playing in the U21 and U18's ? Ole could just promote them

fps

I keep hearing that we have only Rashford Martial and Greenwood, but what about the kids playing in the U21 and U18's ? Ole could just promote them
Might as well give some 15 year olds a go. If they get started now, imagine how good they’ll be in a few years’ time!

Luke1995

Might as well give some 15 year olds a go. If they get started now, imagine how good they’ll be in a few years’ time!
Or, maybe play Scott Mctominay in the Lukaku role, he is so tall, could score a few headers!

fps

Or, maybe play Scott Mctominay in the Lukaku role, he is so tall, could score a few headers!
I believe you’re referring to the Fellaini role? Should never have let him go, the prototype of the new Man Utd, 5 15 year old dwarves, 5 6ft4 bruisers, and Ashley Young doing a job down the left.

Luke1995

I believe you’re referring to the Fellaini role? Should never have let him go, the prototype of the new Man Utd, 5 15 year old dwarves, 5 6ft4 bruisers, and Ashley Young doing a job down the left.
Yeah, he could do what Fellaini used to under Mourinho. Since the team is very bad at creating goal scoring opportunities from open play, might aswell cross everything to Scott

fps

Yeah, he could do what Fellaini used to under Mourinho. Since the team is very bad at creating goal scoring opportunities from open play, might aswell cross everything to Scott
Crosses eh? Nice, get a bit of Moyes in there as well.

Luke1995

Honestly at this point anything new is better than what Ole is doing

Jibbs

I somehow not warming up to the idea of signing Mandzukic... if our intent really is top be challenging for the title from next season, we need to sign somebody for the long term and don't just use January window for stop gaps. Go for Kane, Haaland, Werner or anybody else but go for a proper striker with longterm view. Also even if we can't find a suitable striker we can use the window to sign an attacking right winger, somebody who provide that balance to our attack. And get the other one in Summer.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I somehow not warming up to the idea of signing Mandzukic... if our intent really is top be challenging for the title from next season, we need to sign somebody for the long term and don't just use January window for stop gaps. Go for Kane, Haaland, Werner or anybody else but go for a proper striker with longterm view. Also even if we can't find a suitable striker we can use the window to sign an attacking right winger, somebody who provide that balance to our attack. And get the other one in Summer.
I think the idea is that we are planning to settle with Martial as our main striker for future which this season will be his biggest season to prove whether he can deliver up to the standard as our main no 9. While Mandzukic is signed just for short term backup striker & plan B. It's like Llorente's role last season at Spurs.

SweetRightFoot

James - Martial - Rashford

is a good attack. Top 4 quality? With only Greenwood and Chong on the bench, unfortunately not.

However what I want to see, and I think will drastically improve our attack, is Pogba getting further forward and attacking the box more. Remember the two crosses he put in against City in the 3-2 because they couldn't deal with him aerially? Or how he just drifted past Koscielny in the box to set up a Lingard (?) tap in vs Arsenal? He's a real threat there and wasted further back, even if every bone in his body is telling him to drop deep and get on the ball early. I've no problem with him dropping back into midfield when we're out of posession but when we're in control, he needs to be attacking, pulling markers, winning headers, laying off 1-2's and crucially scoring goals.

Pastore27

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
What about signing Giroud at Xmas as an interim solution? Batshuyai is in front of him in the pecking order at Chelsea.
Would be a good idea so it probably won't happen

Alabaster Codify7

Wait, we have an attack?

1 goal per game since the opening day of the season says otherwise. One chance per game says otherwise.

Ole's commitment to attacking football is an absolute myth, he's just as defensively minded as Jose Mourinho - he just has a goodwill account built up unlike Jose or those who went before him.

I'd say Moyes was way more attack-minded than Ole. It was 99% based on crosses, but it was still front-foot football for the most part, however dated and shite it was.

Our attacking options are also horrendous.

MoXoM

The Chelsea game was the last game we scored more than one goal. Let that sink in. It's absolute shambles and probably the worst I can ever remember. Not just the strikers but our whole attacking set up starting from midfield.
Really? :eek::confused:

Hopefully today we can get our act together....

:devil:

Jibbs

I think we should also test the waters with Madrid for Luka Jovic... he is a fantastic striker, two footed, good with headers, just finding it hard at Madrid, his stocks are down currently, would be attainable at around 40 to 50 m.
Also if Madrid are serious about Pogba and he also wants to leave, we can get him in player plus cash deal.

NWR

Smile you miserable old git
Last night was another game without a single shot on target from open play. It’s not the first time this season. That is very worrying indeed!

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Checked number of goal scorers for each club in all competitions, contribution from other players (apart from Rashford, Martial, James, Greenwood, McT) is just nonexistent.

Chelsea - 16
Arsenal - 15
Wolves - 15
Liverpool - 14
Villa - 13
ManCity - 12
Leicester - 12
Watford - 10
West Ham - 9
Newcastle - 9
Brighton - 9
Spurs - 8
Everton - 8
Southmapton - 8
Sheffield United - 8
Bournemouth - 6
Burnley - 6
ManUtd - 5
Norwich - 5
Palace - 4

Raw

Checked number of goal scorers for each club in all competitions, contribution from other players (apart from Rashford, Martial, James, Greenwood, McT) is just nonexistent.

Chelsea - 16
Arsenal - 15
Wolves - 15
Liverpool - 14
Villa - 13
ManCity - 12
Leicester - 12
Watford - 10
West Ham - 9
Newcastle - 9
Brighton - 9
Spurs - 8
Everton - 8
Southmapton - 8
Sheffield United - 8
Bournemouth - 6
Burnley - 6
ManUtd - 5
Norwich - 5
Palace - 4
Basically need about 6-10 extra goalscorers. The service we provide is so bad though so I'm not surprised how low we are. Another issue is, outside of Rashford, Martial, James and Greenwood, who is there? Our depth in attack isn't great.

Maguire, Fred, Pereira, Mata, Lingard and maybe some of the fullbacks should be contributing to more goals. Then there's Pogba who should add to that when he comes back. That's 6 more goalscorers at least.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Not sure if it's a purple patch or finally having players starting consistently is paying off, in the last 6 games we have done well enough.

In the last 6 games, we have scored 3 goals in 4 games, scoring 14 goals.

In the last 4 PL games, we scored 3 goals in 3 games, scoring 9 goals.

If we can add better #10 or with Pogba's return, we should do much better at least on paper.

AaronRedDevil

Is there any seasoned striker out there right now? All the ones I can think of are in their 30's. Benzema, Lewandowski, zlatan, cavani. We really need a striker who's 25-28. The experience our strikers have are crap and we need a real frontman. Not to buy another young striker with barely any experience.

Bwuk

For me the issue isn't the attack.

It's the midfield can't get the ball forward to them, and the full backs aren't good enough and offer zero support (although Williams looks like he could).