Let's praise the club for doing something we want for a change... thread?

Kristian S

I am so happy right now. Finally something good happening at the club. This also means that we might go for Ten Haag in the summer as his tactics align with Rangnicks philosophy.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
So they yanked a footballing director out of his current job and brought him in as a manager for 7 mo? Is it just me or that only makes sense if Rangnick will stay on as the footballing director once we hire permanent manager... but that cannot be the plan if Murtough made this decision, right? And what is this "two year consultancy after 6mo of interim?" Surely no permanent manager will need a "consultant", that is nuts. So he cannot be a consultant to the manager, then he will be consultant to footballing director? Or is it thinly-veiled way to say that he will be the footballing director?

And most importantly, how can Rangnick possibly manage United with Carrick & Co as coaches, given how they have no clue what they are doing and Rangnick plays dynamic football that needs well-coached team?

So - what exactly is going on?

Last edited:

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Yes absolutely. Positive feedback for this, not hearing a word said against Woody while he keeps this sort of thing up!

So they yanked a footballing director out of his current job and brought him in as a manager for 6 mo? Is it just me or that only makes sense if Rangnick will stay on a footballing director once we hire permanent manager... but that cannot be the plan if Murtough made this decision, right? And what is this "two year consultancy after 6mo of interim?" Surely no permanent manager will need a "consultant", that is nuts. So he cannot be a consultant to the manager, then he will be consultant to footballing director? Or is it thinly-veiled way to say that he will be the footballing director?

So - what exactly is going on?
He’ll be working together with Murtough clearly, which Murtough obviously has agreed to and is no doubt relishing, it’s only positive.
Positive for the future, positive for the new manager and positive in the present because the players know he’s gonna be an important figure even after the 6 month managerial spell.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Very good appointment, surprisingly good. Can’t be many on here not satisfied with this but of business. Onwards and upwards.

Tony247

I am getting lot suspicious that united data analytics team is feeding caf data to Murtough.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
He’ll be working together with Murtough clearly, which Murtough obviously has agreed to and is no doubt relishing, it’s only positive.
Positive for the future, positive for the new manager and positive in the present because the players know he’s gonna be an important figure even after the 6 month managerial spell.
Yeah, I mean Rangnick shaping our footballing strategy will be game-changing and super-exciting, but what I am confused about is that Rangnick knows 10x more about that than Murtough ever will, and it is a very strange setup. Usually people in Murtough's shoes don't want to hire such consultants because of fears for job security. Which is why I am confused as hell.

I also cannot understand how he can manage United next 7 months with clueless coaching team we have now, so we don't throw current season away.

troylocker

Yes! I‘m delighted with this. Next summer will be very important too.

Yeah, I mean Rangnick shaping our footballing strategy will be game-changing and super-exciting, but what I am confused about is that Rangnick knows 10x more about that than Murtough ever will, and it is a very strange setup. Usually people in Murtough's shoes don't want to hire such consultants because of fears for job security. Which is why I am confused as hell.
Actually the best directors tend to surround themselves with the best in the business.

Loon

:lol:
If this truly paves the way for ten Hag to come in, the club will have done exactly what I want. If Rangnick gets us ticking on the way it will be wonderful.

Would love to know who the prime mover behind this decision is.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
For the first time this season, I am genuinely excited to see us evolve into a team which can (hopefully) take on the likes of MCFC, CFC and LFC.
It was embarrassing seeing MCFC keep the ball in the 2nd half, with our players unable to actually get hold of the ball. That was men against boys and it was obvious that Ole and our coaches simply aren't capable of doing their job to the level expected.

I am expecting great things now. IMO we have one of the best squads in Europe and we now need good coaching and tactics to bring them all together.
Say what you like about Glazers - they've spent big and now brought in a man with a football brain to direct football matters (and even manage the first team for 6 months).

After directing so much vitriol towards the board, I am quite stunned at their choice. They can now take a back seat and let Ralf R, deal with on-pitch matters.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Actually the best directors tend to surround themselves with the best in the business.
Correct.
"Make sure that you are the dumbest person in the room", meaning that you hire experts who are better than you and you let them advise or make decisions on your behalf.
In business, this is practised by many CEOs of large corporations.

Robbie Boy

Hopefully this is the start of the club becoming progressive and catching up with our rivals. I'm delighted by this news.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Who actually saw this coming? Whether it works out or not, it's a footballing decision most, inclusive of myself, would have totally doubted the club making.

We've collectively taken chunks out the club of late, for good reason, but credit where's it due for once! Are we finally heading down the path of modernisation? Haag next?
Im amazed someone at the club had the brains to appoint someone like Ralf Rangnick. The first time ive been impressed with a footballing decision by the club

Castia

Brilliant appointment

I'm excited to have somebody onboard who knows football in and around the upper management of the team.

432JuanMata

City preparing for Pep.
Liverpool preparing for Klopp.
Yet during this time we just hired whoever with no plan for a way of playing or a manager who we thought would take us forward.
Hiring Ralf til the end of the season then getting Ten Hag or Poch is one of the smartest things we have ever done since SAF left.
It seems we have a manager in mind who we can’t get til the summer and we hired the best out there for the time.

Marwood

Said in another thread the club has been improving its decision making bit by bit and this decision is on trend.

ShinjiNinja26

I said it before in another thread if we go on to appoint Ten Hag after this and actually let Rangnick have some real power and influence over football decisions then it will go some way in restoring my faith in the club.

BlueHaze

After the diabolical years of Sir Alex's departure they are finally taking at least one step in the right direction. If these reports about Ragnick being offered the role as a sporting director that's the first real good news us fans have been given regarding the upper structure of the club in almost a decade.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Nab ETH in the summer and Arnold deserves a pat on the back.

The Midnight Rambler

Who actually saw this coming? Whether it works out or not, it's a footballing decision most, inclusive of myself, would have totally doubted the club making.

We've collectively taken chunks out the club of late, for good reason, but credit where's it due for once! Are we finally heading down the path of modernisation? Haag next?
Completely agree. Step in the right direction and to be applauded.

Now they need to follow this with conviction and give Wreck it Ralf actual power and authority. Especially in consultancy role which is surely DoF in reality.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Will take time to implement this style, especially mid-season. Hopefully there's no over-reactions. We're one of the worst clubs when it comes to running stats so it'll take some work.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
This is a good move but should have happened during the international break. There was no point in continuing with Ole till Watford game. Thats the only issue i have but as OP mentioned, this feels like first good decision by board after SAF retirement

Uniquim

Aye!

Now what I'm curious about - how do they decide on this? Is this the result of finally creating a football-focused Director position (Murtough)?
Ralf Rangnick was visited at Leipzig back in 2019. It was reported we had talks over organisation, structure etc. back then. General club development.

Later it was reported Murtough was the one who visited him, they talked for 8 hours, and had talked to Helmut Gross, a trained structural engineer turned tactical maverick, and Lars Kornetka, a long-time Rangnick collaborator, for insight into his footballing beliefs and his character beforehand, likely with a view to hiring Rangnick.

I never saw them doing this in a million years. It made too much sense. I am delighted. The future looks bright suddenly, especially if Rangnick will be eased into the DoF role at the end of the season.
Reports are that he'll stay on for a further two years in a consultancy role.
"Rangnick has agreed a six-month deal until the end of May. He will have a further two years in a consultancy role." - The Athletic

Last edited:

Whatsername

Really pleased, and surprised, that the board have made this decision. The consultancy role is a really positive move too.

Let‘s hope they’ll now sort out wi-fi in the stadium.

MUFC OK

Think it’s important we don’t get carried away. A lot remains to be seen regarding the consultancy role etc, I do think this guy will try and reinvent the wheel but perhaps that’s what we need. We will at least have an identity - as far as I’m concerned if the players won’t buy into it they deserve to be benched.

We are certainly in better hands with Ralf than under Ole or anyone currently at board level.

432JuanMata

Really pleased, and surprised, that the board have made this decision. The consultancy role is a really positive move too.

Let‘s hope they’ll now sort out wi-fi in the stadium.
As I said over the last year the board finally start spending which was the biggest problem since the Glazers took over but then made decisions that showed they don’t know football.
This is a pleasant surprise

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
It makes me more frustrated that they stuck with Ole for so long and watched the season fall away from them. This is going to be short but hopefully sweet.

Someone

Something
I'll thanks them when it works. There're still hundreds of ways they can feck this up.

Devil may care

I never thought it was going to happen, we've lurched from one mistake to another but this seems like the best slice of hiring we've done since SAF retired in that it can stabalize the club now and also adds a football man upstairs to help Murtough and Fletcher bring us into the modern era, away from the cult of the manager and towards a football infrastructure that makes coach and player acquisitions much more seemless and hopefully avoiding more massive overhauls. Ole should have been sacked after the City defeat and we should have gotten this in place over the international break but better late than never. Now I just hope Rangnick can salvage top 4 and we don't undo the good work by hiring Pochettino in the summer.

Dravy

It really feels like the power brokers within the club finally grasp they have to give a certain level of pragmatic concern over the standard of football at the club. I expect some teething problems early on, but once the training kicks in it will be nice finally to see our defence not constantly parked deep in our own box as if that constitutes "a plan".

Follow Rangnick up with a progressive (rather than reactive) successor and I for one will be really happy.