Let's praise the club for doing something we want for a change... thread?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Who actually saw this coming? Whether it works out or not, it's a footballing decision most, inclusive of myself, would have totally doubted the club making.

We've collectively taken chunks out the club of late, for good reason, but credit where's it due for once! Are we finally heading down the path of modernisation? Haag next?

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Didnt see it coming, hoped for it, delighted about it, kudos to whoever made this decision.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Given renewed life into this season IMO, and hope for a fun future too. Delighted with it. Might be some rough adapting period given how we have been woefully undercoached for 5 years now, and the years before that with Van Gaal was in a drastically different way too. But the plan is good. Just needs time now.

crossy1686

career ending
Really positive interim appointment and they've done good after all the bashing they got for looking for an interim. Looks like they actually have a plan and are showing some forward thinking about club structure instead of letting managers constantly fail. Let's hope this continues.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
We have been on that path since March, I'll say it again Murtough was rated outside of United and his career trajectory should have seen him get the DOF job earlier. Also we know that previous managers wanted more power, not less, it has been reported and these managers have been given all sorts of excuses in spite of that.

MrSingh2002

The new guys must've had an influence on this. Fletcher and the Irish dude.

Withnail

Still a bit shocked they've gone for it to be honest.

I suppose at some point the penny has to drop that you're not up to it and you need external expertise. Hopefully this is the start of a process to get United back to the top.

Godfather

Him interim and ETH as the perma manager was my dream scenario. One down. Get in. Props to the club for going the progressive way for once.

OmarUnited4ever

To be honest, I'm surprised and I hope this what John Mortough the clubs Football Director decided and the execs allowed him to make that decision

Shark

@NotShark
They've taken a major step in erasing this romanticism/arrogance that we're too big a club and brand to fail and we can do things our own way rather than what pretty much every giant in Europe is doing. SAF was a complete one off genius and no amount of ex players or assistants that played under him can bring that magic back. Unlike Liverpool though we seem to be realising it a lot sooner. Solskjaer was the ultimate kick up the arse our board needed really.

ChaddyP

Feels surreal that the club did something that we all agree with. Twitter united, redcafe united, matchgoing united, reddit united, youtube united, journalism united are all in agreement.

TrustInOle

Extremely efficient with getting this done if true, expected it to become a bit of a mess to be honest. Well played!

Bulldog United

I never saw them doing this in a million years. It made too much sense. I am delighted. The future looks bright suddenly, especially if Rangnick will be eased into the DoF role at the end of the season.

JPB

Thank God! This looks like it's going be Ten Hag in the end and not Cappuccino! :drool:

L1nk

You have to wonder if this is Murtough, as a football guy, getting his way and being allowed to do what he wanted to do in order to bring this club into the modern era, Woodward on his own wouldn't have done this that's for sure. Forget the 6 month managerial stint, it's the 2 years minimum consultency with the power to make decisions that everyone should be excited about. Is the club finally admitting that maybe Ed Woodward the investment banker doesn't have a clue what he's doing in order to bring success on the football pitch? As if the evidence wasn't staring them all in the face for many seasons now

I knew they made some good long term decisions after Mourinho’s second season by taking full control away from the manager and putting some in the hands of the transfer board. It also seemed like a good move finally to define a new role for Murtough and take more control away from the advisory board and Woodward.

This just tops it off, if it’s followed by Ten Hag I’ll be so incredibly impressed at how the board has slowly woken from it’s slumber.

Absolutely buzzing about this.

lex talionis

There had been rumors over the last week, discussed at some length here I recall, of Ragngick’s appointment. Well done by management.

Now, let’s kick some fukking arse.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
Praise be. This is going to be the best Black Friday acquisition in the history of everything.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Fair dues. Now don't go back on your word and allow him to make Manchester United great again.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Aye!

Now what I'm curious about - how do they decide on this? Is this the result of finally creating a football-focused Director position (Murtough)?

Infra-red

Seems to have been the Caf hive mind's first-choice outcome. Sticking around for a consultancy role, too, which should be hugely popular on here.

Next step - appoint Ten Hag in the summer and it'll be possession-based attacking football and trophies galore for years to come.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
:lol: our board was like we are not going to make the same mistake we did with ole and immediate appointed a proper coach even though Carrick won his first game. Seems like they are learning. This appointment seems made with Pochettino in foresight as they know Pochettino is one of the best in developing an organized press and Ralf can get this team functioning towards that before his arrival

redsunited

Quite surprised and happy with the appointment. Right football philosophy and manager. With luck, We have a good chance in CL as well.