Lets talk about Inter Milan

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
A team I used to kick off with on Championship Manager, so I've always liked them growing up.

Now they have a very proven manager taking charge in Conte, who has seemingly got more money to spend?

Their squad on paper has some great names but I am unsure how good some of these players might still be:

Handanovic is a solid enough keeper

Godin joining alongside Skriniar now with De Virj - so Conte's back 3 seems to pick itself? + Rannocia and Miranda as back-ups?

No doubt they will bring in Moses and perhaps Perisic can be reborn as a full-back under Conte (no idea how good he's been to be honest). Cedric/Vrsaljko are other full back options.

Di Marzio confirmed they are seriously in (or have agreed terms with) Barella who is highly rated
and on paper may fit well with Niangolan.. but I feel their midfield still feels lightweight.

Then up top Icardi for now, and Dzeko is all agreed. Keita Balde is a forward I know nothing about, other than he has pace to burn on FIFA.

Can anyone else shed some knowledge on this Inter side? It's the first time in a while I feel one of the Milan sides have got a good chance of pushing Juventus. Conte is still a manager I rate highly and I'm sure he'll get respect from the players in Serie A. Do Inter have the financial wealth to improve further? What would be your expectations of them?

Last edited:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I think they'll do well with Conte. A CL-spot at minimum, maybe even a title push too. Didn't he win the Serie A in his first season at Juve? Then again in his first season with Chelsea.

He doesn't seem to need lots of time to hit the ground running.

thejtrain

With the money they seem to be willing to spend and the manager they've got, should be challenging Juventus in the league.

Oh, I also expect them to sign Lukaku, Alexis, and Darmian from us. Do it, Inter!

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I think they'll do well with Conte. A CL-spot at minimum, maybe even a title push too. Didn't he win the Serie A in his first season at Juve? Then again in his first season with Chelsea.

He doesn't seem to need lots of time to hit the ground running.
He did - and Serie A will suit him very well. I also don't think he'd have taken the Inter role without promise of a project to work with. Barella and Dzeko may be the start of other key transfers. As I say his back 5 on paper looks strong enough to compete.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Inter have decent team but doubt they will challenge Juventus next season. Their form was very poor at the end of the season.

Their FBs are average, 1 decent midfielder in Brozovic. Nainggolan didn't work out well in the first season, hopefully he steps up next season. Their wing options are average too, Perisic has been average for last 2 seasons and Politano is very hit and miss player and also he is on loan with option to buy.

Same with Keita, very hit and miss player, Icardi didnt score from open play so months and had problems with previous coach and also with few in dressing room. Last time he scored from open play was in December and he is a striker who leads the line.

Martinez looks very promising player though.

They need few signings, especially for wing options.

izec

They also have Lautaro Martinez up top, Vecino and Brozovic in midfield as well. They lack some creativity there and on the wings, but definitely a lot of Conte type players in the squad, who can work hard.

They reached the CL the last 2 years. The objective is now obviously to push on, challenge Napoli for the second place and be in a position to challenge for the title soon i guess. I dont think they will next season, unless Juve dont get their shit together and their new manager needs time. With Juve changing managers, this could be an open season, depending on their transfer activity, but they are still very strong, too strong.

Inter have done well in buying up domestic talents recently, they are definitely improving slowly and seem to be going in a good direction.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
I don’t know if this goes here or in the weird feelings of football thread.

Every year it feels like Inter have a good squad, buy good players during the transfer window, and yet they somehow flop every season.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Brozovic is a great midfielder, very underrated. They lack another top midfielder to help him out though.

Inter's squad is very good but it was lacking depth and with loads of injuries they had no chance to compete this season. With Conte in and the squad improving, they should be putting up somewhat of a fight with Juve next season, anything below second would be disappointing.

Handanovic is as good as any goalkeeper in Italy. CB options with Godin, De Vrij and Skriniar is elite. Up top they have Icardi, Lautaro and most likely Dzeko with Politano and Balde being very good options. They need to improve fullbacks and find a top midfielder to play with Brozovic and Nainggolan but they're not as far away from competing as this season would suggest. They just had too many injuries this season.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They were incredibly boring to watch last season and very lucky to get CL in the end given the last 5 minutes v Empoli. So many of their games were 0-0 up to 70 minutes and then Icardi or someone else would pop up with a goal. They were usually exposed against any decent team.

Obviously a great history but they just flatter to deceive every year. Very tough for them to compete with Juve atm but I don't think they should be finishing 10-15 points off Napoli, guess that shows even when Napoli lose managers and key players there's still an identity and confidence within the club whereas Inter is just a team of individuals with no real great style of play.

What's the latest with Icardi, he still going or are they going to sort out a new deal? It's a bit of a crux for me. Obviously a fantastic scorer but for him to get his 25 goals a season you have to play a certain way just firing in crosses from all angles (probably a major club where Moyes as manager would actually work) which means little creativity and fantasy in central areas.

Defensively they are very weak at full back, D'Ambrosio has played 150 games for them and is a very mediocre player. They should be better at CB but again Empoli (who got relegated) were pulling them apart no problem.

They also should've cashed in on Perisic a year ago, he's on the decline now.

Lots of work to do although Conte will at least improve the mentality given he did that at Juve who were in a similar position to Inter in 2010.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I didn't catch as much of Inter as I would've liked to last season, they were playing some pretty awful football which made skipping their matches pretty easy. I haven't seen him get too much criticism but I thought De Vrij looked out of sorts, was he generally good for most of the season? On paper their CB options look very healthy for next year.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I didn't catch as much of Inter as I would've liked to last season, they were playing some pretty awful football which made skipping their matches pretty easy. I haven't seen him get too much criticism but I thought De Vrij looked out of sorts, was he generally good for most of the season? On paper their CB options look very healthy for next year.
Yeah it will be interesting what they do at CB as they are really stacked now. Obviously Godin is coming and he will provide great leadership. I'm a little surprised Miranda has fallen so far out of favour as he's still a first choice for Brazil.

Given Miranda-Godin was a very secure combination for many seasons at Atletico Madrid I do wonder if they might be tempted to cash in on Skriniar as you've still got as you say De Vrij who can provide the younger and quicker alternative if opposition demands that.

It does feel inevitable to me that one day Diego Simeone will manage them so amusing they seem to be buying up half of the Atletico Madrid team although they'll all be too old to play under him again if he dosen't turn up for another 3-4 years.

roonster09

Scout
Even Skriniar didn't look very good at the end of season but overall he was good. De Vrij was mixed bag. FBs were the big issue for them, that and also wingers. Politano looked decent in few games.

If Conte plays 4 at the back then Skriniar and Godin looks easy choice.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
What about Rannocia? Is he no good?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He's been around forever. Was highly rated....10 years ago. Very much in the eternal Italian young hope with Davide Santon. Also remember the Japanese full back they used to have around that time, was a good player in fairness.

Ranocchia was actually on loan at Hull City a few years back.

roonster09

Scout
No. He used to be rated highly when Inter signed him but he failed to step up and he is average (that's being generous btw).

roonster09

Scout
He's been around forever. Was highly rated....10 years ago. Very much in the eternal Italian young hope with Davide Santon. Also remember the Japanese full back they used to have around that time, was a good player in fairness.

Ranocchia was actually on loan at Norwich a few years back.
Hull City.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
:lol: fair enough.

Miranda/Godin/De Virj/Skriniar should be enough to fight for a back 3 let alone a back 2. Are their full backs much of a concern? Cedric is there and I liked him for Southampton, I thought Vrsaljko was meant to be a worker too.

Also Di Marzio/Romano mentioned today that Barella looks likely for Inter, so he can join in a trio with Niangolan and Brozovic?

SambaBoy

Can see Conte falling out with Icardi, just like with Costa at Chelsea. Can't see them competing for the league next season, maybe up to Christmas and then Juventus will start to pull away. CL qualification again and to progress past the group stage would be a decent enough season for them.

The spine/better players of their squad are the wrong side of 30 too. Godin, Miranda, Nainoggolan, Dzeko, Perisic.

RkkMan

In case people weren't aware Vrsaljko/Cedric were loan deals which won't be taken up permanently so I expect them to come for Darmian but their squad is very underrated with 3 decent additions they'll finish top 3 in the Serie A

Gopher Brown

Every year it feels like Inter have a good squad, buy good players during the transfer window, and yet they somehow flop every season.
I feel that they’re one of these clubs with a huge turnover of players. I can ignore them for 6 months and in that time they’ve replaced 90% of their players.

LiquidSnake

In case people weren't aware Vrsaljko/Cedric were loan deals which won't be taken up permanently so I expect them to come for Darmian but their squad is very underrated with 3 decent additions they'll finish top 3 in the Serie A
Yes but without additions (maybe you talk additions taking in count substitute players for those loans) they already ended top 3/top 4 in the Serie A for 2 years. Nevertheless, this midfield is crying for creativity I think.

IMHO Conté is here, to clearly compete for trophies.

I feel like Interistas, respected a lot the work (and the personality) of Luciano Spalletti. Very far the greatest coach, but was able to get them into constant UCL spot with a strict budget and capable of 2-3 "genius" (like a great repositionning for Brozovic).

Maybe I'm too "old school" or I don't forget easily, but knowing the past I'm amazed that Antonio Conté one of the Juventus poster boy of the 90/2000s and directly quoted in bribing stuff, is the new Inter coach and that it doesn't seem to cause legit uproar among Inter fans :lol::lol:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Bit like us in the sense that they have a good team on paper, make relatively decent signings, but it never seems to come together in recent years.

Conte should do well. Inter have a lot of players performing well below what they are capable of, but also a few who should be nowhere the team. Brozovic is good but the rest of the midfield is too timid or over the hill. With a striker like Icardi they need players feeding him balls to run on to but nobody is doing that.

De Vrij and Skriniar were both dodgy this season but with Godin coming in the three of them should be able to form a solid defence.

Dolf

:lol: fair enough.

Miranda/Godin/De Virj/Skriniar should be enough to fight for a back 3 let alone a back 2. Are their full backs much of a concern? Cedric is there and I liked him for Southampton, I thought Vrsaljko was meant to be a worker too.

Also Di Marzio/Romano mentioned today that Barella looks likely for Inter, so he can join in a trio with Niangolan and Brozovic?
You know it's De Vrij right? You spelled it wrong in the OP too :p

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Surprised people keep mentioning Icardi. Thought it was common knowledge that he's out. Whether they manage to sell him or not he's effectively already no longer an inter player

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Ffs, I hope Juve is dethroned next season.

I'd absolutely love to see Modric and Rakitic at Inter next season.

Last but not least, random comment: Inter's blue-black stripped kit has to be my fav kit of all time.

Last edited:

damageinc.

Supports
the unknown
Icardi out for obvious reasons.
Keita, Cedric, Vrsaljko back to their respective clubs.
Miranda, Joao Mario, Dalbert, Borja Valero, Candreva and (probably) Gagliardini to leave.

The only players "certain" to remain are Handanovic, De Vrij, Skriniar, D'Ambrosio, Ranocchia, Asamoah, Brozovic, Nainggolan, Vecino, Perisic, Lautaro Martinez, Politano + the upcoming transfers Godin, Dzeko and Barella. So at least other 6/7 players are expected to come.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
Given the assessments of their squad in here I cannot see them challenging next season but you never know with Conte, he tends to hit the ground running.
I like Juventus but serie A is becoming like the Scottish league so we need both Inter and Milan to step up and challenge for the title soon, for the good of football.

joedirt87

Icardi out for obvious reasons.
Keita, Cedric, Vrsaljko back to their respective clubs.
Miranda, Joao Mario, Dalbert, Borja Valero, Candreva and (probably) Gagliardini to leave.

The only players "certain" to remain are Handanovic, De Vrij, Skriniar, D'Ambrosio, Ranocchia, Asamoah, Brozovic, Nainggolan, Vecino, Perisic, Lautaro Martinez, Politano + the upcoming transfers Godin, Dzeko and Barella. So at least other 6/7 players are expected to come.
Saw a few sites reporting that Nainggolan is out of his plans as well.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Conte Is a very good manager. Guess he needs a target man for his system though.

Will pay more attention to Serie A this season hopefully be more interesting than recent seasons.