Lets talk about Inter Milan

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah I think they'll win the league this year or next but then they'll have to replace the squad. But I guess it's easier to rebuild from a winning position than being out of Europe like Milan.
Rebuild what? The only over 30 other than Godin(who lost his spot to Bastoni of late anyways) are either backups or guys they need to upgrade on anyways

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Yeah I think they'll win the league this year or next but then they'll have to replace the squad. But I guess it's easier to rebuild from a winning position than being out of Europe like Milan.
It didn't happen after 2010. Guys like Materazzi, Lucio, Julio Cesar, Snejider, Milito, Maicon who were all amazing that year just didn't have the motivation or legs post Mourinho. Weren't having likes of Benitez and Gaspierini as replacements. I also remember them signing Forlan from Atletico Madrid who'd just had a fantastic world cup and he lasted about 5 months doing little.

In the seasons after 09/10 they finished 2nd (was surprised by that), 6th, 9th, 5th, 8th,, 4th, 7th up to 2017 so was very much a lost decade until the improvement under Spaletti which Conte has taken on.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Rebuild what? The only over 30 other than Godin(who lost his spot to Bastoni of late anyways) are either backups or guys they need to upgrade on anyways
Wasn't Candreva a starter before the injury? Young taken his place as the wing back, Moses might be on the other side soon aswell. Handa in goal obviously. Borja 35 and played 80 games for them since signing in 2017. Took Godin as a given but didn't realise he's struggled since his move as he was obviously a rock at Atletico.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Inter ended up signing 15 players this season

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It didn't happen after 2010.

In the seasons after 09/10 they finished 2nd (was surprised by that)
Moratti didn't believe they needed a rebuild(in fact he kept Maicon and gave Milito a brand new contract when he could have sold them for shitloads of money) and didn't have the will to pour more of his own money into it anyways

Also, they finished 2nd because Eto'o
Wasn't Candreva a starter before the injury? Young taken his place as the wing back, Moses might be on the other side soon aswell. Handa in goal obviously. Borja 35 and played 80 games for them since signing in 2017. Took Godin as a given but didn't realise he's struggled since his move as he was obviously a rock at Atletico.
Candreva is a player they need to upgrade on. So is Asamoah. Moses is a loan for 6 seasons as cover. Young is cover. Borja Valero wasn't even part of Conte's plans in July

Handa is still one of the best in the world, and gks age better than outfield players

Thei rest of their starting lineup: Skriniar('95), De Vrij('92), Bastoni('99), Brozovic('92), Barella('97), Eriksen('92), Lukaku('93), Lautaro('97). Plus Sensi('95)

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Oh yeah they have some good young players, I didn't say they were all old men. :lol:

Just don't strike me as hugely athletic team but maybe you could say that about most Italian teams with the lack of success in CL in recent times bar Juve when they had that excellent Pogba-Vidal midfield.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Oh yeah they have some good young players, I didn't say they were all old men. :lol:

Just don't strike me as hugely athletic team but maybe you could say that about most Italian teams with the lack of success in CL in recent times bar Juve when they had that excellent Pogba-Vidal midfield.
What do you mean by athletic? Dynamic?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
What do you mean by athletic? Dynamic?
Yes box to box athleticism. As has been said many times Milner/fabiano-Wjianaldum-Henderson isn't as technically good as what Mascherano-Alonso-Gerrard was for Liverpool but helped get them over the line in the CL last season.

Last great CM for any Italian team imo was Pogba and Vidal doing the pressing and Pirlo sitting back and dictating, just wasn't quite enough to beat Barca in 2015 but they gave it a good go.

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yes box to box athleticism. As has been said many times Milner/fabiano-Wjianaldum-Henderson isn't as technically good as what Mascherano-Alonso-Gerrard was for Liverpool but helped get them over the line in the CL last season.

Last great CM for any Italian team imo was Pogba and Vidal doing the pressing and Pirlo sitting back and dictating, just wasn't quite enough to beat Barca in 2015 but they gave it a good go.
We won 3 CL with Casemiro-Kroos-Modric in midfield

16/17 juventus played a combination of Pjanic-Khedira-Dybala-Mandzukic plus either Cuadrado or Dani Alves, and that was the best juventus side of the decade by far

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Juve is different animal with their mentality tbh. I've said before they remind me so much of Man. United in last 3-4 years of Fergie. Still grind out results better than any other Italian team whatever 11 they put out.

Where Inter improved this season is mentality. They had good teams in previous seasons with Spalletti but missed that consisant edge Conte has given them. Main task this year was to finish above likes of Napoli and Roma and they will do that very comfortably.

Based Adnan

So much for that title challenge then.... Lost 2-1 to Bologna today.

They are now 3rd only 4 points ahead of a free scoring Atalanta who have a game in hand. Realistically can see them finishing 4th as they've not been in the greatest form lately.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
3rd place 11 points behind and embarassed in champions league group stage.

So much for the Interistas in twitter making fun of United.

James Peril

Went from 1-0 and a one man advantage to a penalty miss, a red card to even things out and then two goals in the back by two different guys called Musa. The odds for those events would have been pretty hefty stuff

Pace Abuser

Popped over to their forum. This comment about Luaku made to chuckle that he is not our problem anymore:

"He tries too many tricks he can't pull off. He needs to realize he is not the football equivalent of magic Johnson. In fact, he's very far from it."

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Popped over to their forum. This comment about Luaku made to chuckle that he is not our problem anymore:

"He tries too many tricks he can't pull off. He needs to realize he is not the football equivalent of magic Johnson. In fact, he's very far from it."
Lmao! :lol:

SAFMUTD

They had a way better season and are playint better under Conte than they used to.

I dont think anyone realistically spected them to challenge for Serie A this season but their short term fixes are putting them in a situation where they will need to rebuild again.

Players such as Handanovic, Godin, Candreva, Young are going to need replacement soon so if they dont achieve titles now, which seems hard, I dont think theyre going ti harvest anything in the future.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
They had a way better season and are playint better under Conte than they used to.

I dont think anyone realistically spected them to challenge for Serie A this season but their short term fixes are putting them in a situation where they will need to rebuild again.

Players such as Handanovic, Godin, Candreva, Young are going to need replacement soon so if they dont achieve titles now, which seems hard, I dont think theyre going ti harvest anything in the future.
How are they playing better? It's the same shit like previous season - the only difference is their luck ran for a bit longer than before (those early 1-0/2-1 scorelines were more due to luck than actual quality)
Conte who's also the highest paid coach spent a record 176mil€ on players and they'll again probably finish 4th - and btw he's still crying for new players even though Inter spent over 600mil€ on players in the past 5 years
They've lost 17 points from a leading position, were embarrassed in Champions League and crumble under pressure when playing against a top team.
What's changed? Nothing

SAFMUTD

How are they playing better? It's the same shit like previous season - the only difference is their luck ran for a bit longer than before (those early 1-0/2-1 scorelines were more due to luck than actual quality)
Conte who's also the highest paid coach spent a record 176mil€ on players and they'll again probably finish 4th - and btw he's still crying for new players even though Inter spent over 600mil€ on players in the past 5 years
They've lost 17 points from a leading position, were embarrassed in Champions League and crumble under pressure when playing against a top team.
What's changed? Nothing
Conte shouldnt be blamed for the 600M Inter spent before his arrival, they had a pretty poor squad to be honest. Besides Lautauro, Icardi and Skriniar the rest were all bang average players.

Last season they got 69 points scoring 57 goals, this season they have 64 points and have scored 63 goals with 8 games pending, I think its safe to say they got better.

As I said I dont think anyone realistically spected them to win Serie A, Juve has dominated the league for a decade and the quality between squads is massive, even having Sarri as a coach they walk it.

About UCL I dont think it should even be in the conversation obviously they werent going to challenge it.

About the spending I agree, they seem to be taking the "quick fix" aproach and it will hardly win them titles so I dont think its the right approach for them at all.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Conte shouldnt be blamed for the 600M Inter spent before his arrival, they had a pretty poor squad to be honest. Besides Lautauro, Icardi and Skriniar the rest were all bang average
Handa, De Vrij, Brozovic are not bang average players.

SAFMUTD

Handa, De Vrij, Brozovic are not bang average players.
Are not world beaters exactly either. My point is Conte didnt do a "Pep Guardiola" squad rebuild which already had great players and bought some more on top of that, this was an average Inter squad which desperately needed quality.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Conte shouldnt be blamed for the 600M Inter spent before his arrival, they had a pretty poor squad to be honest. Besides Lautauro, Icardi and Skriniar the rest were all bang average players.
Last season they got 69 points scoring 57 goals, this season they have 64 points and have scored 63 goals with 8 games pending, I think its safe to say they got better.
As I said I dont think anyone realistically spected them to win Serie A, Juve has dominated the league for a decade and the quality between squads is massive, even having Sarri as a coach they walk it.
About UCL I dont think it should even be in the conversation obviously they werent going to challenge it.
About the spending I agree, they seem to be taking the "quick fix" aproach and it will hardly win them titles so I dont think its the right approach for them at all.
Inter shouldn't be behind a team like Lazio. They are just 1 point ahead of Atalanta. 2 clubs who can barely rub pennies together
Why shouldn't the CL be in the conversation? Conte has been historically poor in the CL, They were knocked out by Barcelona B team this season, while coaching Juve he was knocked out of the group stages
Inter has signed 15 players this season alone and It's the same Conte method used in Chelsea where he loaded the team with so many average players, Zappacosta, Drinkwater, Bakayoko, Pamieri, He spent 250M in 1 season to finish 5th

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Inter Milan finished last season on 69 points. They are currently on 64 points. As mentioned others they signed 15 players, a few of which are big names not to mention a big manager in Conte. They have certainly under-performed.

SAFMUTD

Inter shouldn't be behind a team like Lazio. They are just 1 point ahead of Atalanta. 2 clubs who can barely rub pennies together
Why shouldn't the CL be in the conversation? Conte has been historically poor in the CL, They were knocked out by Barcelona B team this season, while coaching Juve he was knocked out of the group stages
Inter has signed 15 players this season alone and It's the same Conte method used in Chelsea where he loaded the team with so many average players, Zappacosta, Drinkwater, Bakayoko, Pamieri, He spent 250M in 1 season to finish 5th
Dont get me wrong, Im not labelling Inter as a success all Im saying is they are better now than they were last year. Better enough to justify the spending? I would say no, but theyre definitely better.

Regarding UCL I dont think its fair to say that Inter failed abruptly, they were in the group stage with Barcelona and Dortmund I think we can agree both of those teams have a better squad than inter.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Dont get me wrong, Im not labelling Inter as a success all Im saying is they are better now than they were last year. Better enough to justify the spending? I would say no, but theyre definitely better.

Regarding UCL I dont think its fair to say that Inter failed abruptly, they were in the group stage with Barcelona and Dortmund I think we can agree both of those teams have a better squad than inter.
They played against Barca B team (They literally gave them the chance to progress ffs) with Lukaku squandering numerous chances not to mention the Dortmund debacle - leading 0:2 at half time ended up losing 3-2

roonster09

Scout
Are not world beaters exactly either. My point is Conte didnt do a "Pep Guardiola" squad rebuild which already had great players and bought some more on top of that, this was an average Inter squad which desperately needed quality.
Players you named are not world beaters either. They are all at same level.

Ofcourse he didnt do Pep, no one will.

SAFMUTD

Players you named are not world beaters either. They are all at same level.

Ofcourse he didnt do Pep, no one will.
Theres a reason why would Lautauro is being followed by Barcelona, Skriniar is mentioned to every team looking for a CB while Icardi was bought by PSG. Could the ones you mention attract interst that way?

Agree with the Pep fact.

arthurka

Uhh so a flat track bully..

SAFMUTD

They played against Barca B team (They literally gave them the chance to progress ffs) with Lukaku squandering numerous chances not to mention the Dortmund debacle - leading 0:2 at half time ended up losing 3-2
Yes they fecked up in that one, but if I had to bet on a group stage with Barca, Dortmund and Inter. I wouldnt have put my money on Inter, all Im saying is they shouldnt be measured as competitors for the very best. Now I for next season I think they do need to improve, they keep spending now with Hakimi so they should at least mount a title challenge, a solid 2nd place.

roonster09

Scout
Theres a reason why would Lautauro is being followed by Barcelona, Skriniar is mentioned to every team looking for a CB while Icardi was bought by PSG. Could the ones you mention attract interst that way?

Agree with the Pep fact.
Brozovic is one of Inter's most important player and it would be weird if any big team wants Handa considering his age. Martinez didn't even play well for 6 months for Inter, He had decent second half of the season last year, this season he had good few months and now he is playing very poor. Just because Barca want him to sign doesn't change his performance for Inter. They want him as he is young player with lot of potential.

I didn't know that if players are at same level then everyone should sign for bigger clubs.

Btw Icardi was shit last season (and even worse in second half of the season), and that's being generous.

Skriniar was obviously class but he isn't anywhere as good under Conte.

always_hoping

Contes transfer business with Inter reminds me Brendan Rodgers with Liverpool, 1 decent signing out of a dozen duds. The next Inter manager will be very busy clearing out the dead wood.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Sure, you can argue they have been a bit better than last season, but they haven`t improved nearly enough considering what they`ve invested.
I would go as far as to say that this season has been a failure for them.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Uh, inter aren't playing poorly, for the most part. They keep fecking up by not converting their chances. They could have been up 4-0 at half time against bologna. They should have killed the game with the penalty(for which Conte was frothing at the mouth at Lukaku for letting Lautaro take it btw) in the second half too. They lost stupidly, not because they were poor. Same story with sassuolo, really, though they did struggle in the first half there

Inter's big issues are mentality, and lack of depth. Players like Biraghi, Vecino, Borja Valero have played too many minutes because of injuries. The fact they went for moses and ashley young says everything: they didn't pick them up because they thought they were good, they did it because what they had was much worse and they were cheap and they needed bodies

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Contes transfer business with Inter reminds me Brendan Rodgers with Liverpool, 1 decent signing out of a dozen duds. The next Inter manager will be very busy clearing out the dead wood.
The duds doesn't cost lot though. It's probably their strategy to buy more time so they can spend wisely.

el3mel

I can't see how can any Inter fan not look at this current season as a positive one or not being on the right track. If they finish 3rd it'll be a great first season for Conte imo. Of course expectations next season from them will be higher.