Let's talk about Liverpool's UCL titles ...or let's not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
...because it's serious. They have 6 now.

First of all, I know some individuals don't care about records, honours, etc. I do. Man Utd having 20 league titles and Liverpool 18 is important for me. Liverpool now having 6 UCL while Barça has 5 is important for me. And it pisses me off.

While I can live with the fact that Madrid will always be King of Europe (nobody, I mean, nobody will ever win 13 UCL titles before Madrid gets their 14th), seeing Liverpool getting ahead of Bayern and Barça is worrying.

AC Milan, with 7 titles, has imploded and who knows when (if) they'll get back to their former glory (oil money?). What I'm saying is that I can see Liverpool lifting their 7th before Bayern (currently rebuilding and known for mediocre long eras in Europe, last one in 2002-2009) and Barça (not even Messi guarantees a UCL title anymore, as 2016-19 has shown).

Has Liverpool become the new UCL sensation? A club with zero Premier Leagues (despite close calls in 2009, 2014 and 2019), but (re)built to win Knockout Cups, because of the "believe" mentality, the four titles in 77-84 (boost factor-we were always great, etc), the enthusiasm of the owners and fans, and last but not least the Anfield factor.
All I know is that Bayern, Barça and Man Utd overthink the UCL way too much while Liverpool just seems to enjoy the heck out of it.

El Zoido

Liverpool can win it again with this team.

But I think the value of the competition is hugely overstated, always have done. And if Madrid has 13 whoever is second, third, etc. doesn’t really matter. Liverpool can come back when they top Madrid. You’re either #1 or you’re not.

Skills

Snitch

But I think the value of the competition is hugely overstated, always have done. And if Madrid has 13 whoever is second, third, etc. doesn’t really matter. Liverpool can come back when they top Madrid. You’re either #1 or you’re not.
Bollocks it is. It's the biggest club prize out there to win. Just because we're shit at it, doesn't make it less true.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
I don't think anyone outside of Liverpool cares how many times they have won the CL. It's certainly a good accomplishment though.

They have won it twice in the Premier League era, the same as us. So your point about them having no Premier League titles but 6 CLs is irrelevant.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF

It matters because 13 is such a monstruous number than "who is second" is more interesting than "who will dethrone Madrid?" (nobody).

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
For some reason I find it hard to take CL wins from the 50s and 60s seriously. But they do count though.

Can't stand Real Madrid though.

Raw

I hate it too. I hate that we only have 3 CLs considering how big we're supposed to be. I hate how far behind we are to the rest. I hate how Madrid have won it more times in 5 years than us in our entire history. I hate that Liverpool have twice the amount as ours.

It's going to be a while until we'll be good enough to become regular semi finalists again, let alone actually winning it. In that time, the other teams are just gonna get further ahead of us. We need a period like 2008-2011 again, just without Barcelona popping up to be one of the best teams of all time :(

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Sir Alex Ferguson, although he was an amazing manager, arguably failed in Europe (I know that’s a controversial opinion).

Manchester United were the best team in the Premier League from 1992 to 2013, give or take, and yet he only won the Champions League twice. In my opinion, he should have won it four or five times.

As dominant as SAF was domestically, Man Utd haven’t actually made any inroads on Liverpool’s European trophy haul. The difference was 3 in 1992 and the difference is 3 in 2019.

If there’s one valid criticism of the great manager, it’s this one.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
For some reason I find it hard to take CL wins from the 50s and 60s seriously. But they do count though.

Can't stand Real Madrid though.
I used to mock those '50s titles until I found out Madrid knocked out the excellent Man Utd of the late '50s in the semis, or that one of the finals was vs AC Milan.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
The UCL has so much luck involved you can't confidently expect Liverpool to win their 7th anytime soon before any of the other bigger clubs. It's always difficult to predict a UCL winner every season, Liverpool might get knocked out in the early knockout rounds next season.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Manchester United is like Juventus.

Liverpool is like AC Milan.

Although in the Italian case, the difference is even more pronounced.

El Zoido

Bollocks it is. It's the biggest club prize out there to win. Just because we're shit at it, doesn't make it less true.
Just a matter of opinion really. Knockout competitions are never an accurate representation of quality really, not always. Spurs are not the second best side in Europe. Man Utd are not a better team than PSG. You can lose to a bad decision in a close game, or whatever. It’s fun but it’s not a truly accurate metric. This is why I always value league titles more, the consistency week in, week out, that’s a proper metric on which to judge quality. Now when they do the European Super League, that’ll be the business.

Skills

Snitch
The UCL has so much luck involved you can't confidently expect Liverpool to win their 7th anytime soon before any of the other bigger clubs. It's always difficult to predict a UCL winner every season, Liverpool might get knocked out in the early knockout rounds next season.
They were in the final last year too. I would say they're the favourites against any team in the world over 2 legs.

Impulse

Don't know what you lot are on about, everybody knows that football only started in 1992 and that CL wins only count if you also won your league. Winners are as follows;

Barca - 4
Utd/Bayern - 2
Milan/Ajax/Real/Porto/Inter - 1

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
They were in the final last year too. I would say they're the favourites against any team in the world over 2 legs.
They definitely will be favourites but football can be decided by small moments and a few millimeters, sometimes they go your way sometimes they won't. There is a reason why it is very difficult to retain the UCL and so I think it will be very unlucky Liverpool will be able to.

Status
Not open for further replies.