Lewis Hamilton

It’s not racism. He’s in the best car because he’s exceptionally talented and he doesn’t cause sponsors any problems.

It’s that lack of personality that sees him marginalised. He’s just a boring dude. We all liked Schumacher. He was pretty boring too. Good for a quip here and there but he just wanted to drive cars fast and win world titles.

The current era of F1 is as boring as it’s ever been. The best car wins almost all races. Something like 90% of Podiums in the last 6 years have had one of Lewis’ teams cars on it. That’s so boring.

Hell of a driver. Boring races and boring life though.
I think that's where the difference lies. That's all Schumacher ever wanted to do.

I've met Hamilton a few times too, albeit a long time ago in his McLaren days, and I know people who know him very well. He wasn't always this way. I don't know what changed, but it sounds like somewhere along the way he's acquired a massive chip on his shoulder about the sport that's given him everything.

He's almost an outsider now in the sport he dominates. Schumacher was liked, loved or at the very least respected by everyone.

F-Red

Surprised there's no thread on him, he's now equalled Michael Schumacher's record of seven world championships, if he wins title number eight next year that will be a world record that will be very difficult to beat.

What do you think?
Lewis Hamilton vs Michael Schumacher who is the greatest?
Statistics will matter, but both are supreme in their own f1 generation. Murray Walker answers it elloquantly, considering he's one of a small amount of people to have witnessed every F1 world championship race:

“I used to say Fangio, I think I'm going to have to say very shortly - Lewis Hamilton. If you look at the statistics, he has already got more poles than Schumacher. He's got at least three years in him if he doesn't hurt himself or leave Mercedes for some reason or they decide to stop.

“In that case, he's still got at least another three championships ahead of him. So statistically, he will become the greatest. But he's also in my opinion, and this is very contentious indeed, he's better than either Schumacher or Senna.”

Walker cited the point that Schumacher and Senna were involved in a number of controversial incidents amid title fights, while Hamilton has steered clear of such incidents in the heat of battle.

“Both of them, Schumacher and Senna, adopted at various times in their career highly debatable driving tactics like Schumacher stopping deliberately at Monaco to prevent [Alonso] getting pole position, like Schumacher colliding with Villeneuve at Jerez in 1997, like Senna with Prost in 1990 in Japan.

“Lewis Hamilton has never been anything like that, he's always driven as clean as a whistle. He's an extremely nice, gigantically talented driver, and I don't think we've ever seen anybody like him before.”

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Hell yeah it should. Alonso has no place in any "greatest ever" discussions. He was very good but not on that level.

I'd probably rate Schumacher - whom I disliked, for what it's worth - somewhat higher than Hamilton but part of it is definitely down to simply having seen a lot more of him: I followed F1 a lot more closely in the late 90s-early 00s. Until, well, until Schumacher's neverending dominance turned me off of it. Could Hamilton have done what Schumacher did with Benetton in 1994 and 1995? We'll probably never get to find out.
Disagree about Alonso. Alonso would have at least 3 titles if Ferrari had competent people in charge in 2010-12(and add another if McLaren didn't do him dirty in 2007...)

He just had the bad luck of coming through in an era were the importance of the car massively overtook that of the driver and he was too much of an arsehole(professionally speaking) for Red Bull/Mercedes to sign him. Also chose his teams poorly. I mean, Jenson fecking Button won a title in this modern era of F1....

Hamilton's title with McLaren in a way was more impressive than his dominance with mercedes

Hamilton one of the greats, best of his era, and i love watching him drive, i'm gonna leave it at that

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah even from outside (of the UK), there's not been as much praise and adulation of his achievements compare to someone like Schumacher, when he was driving and as dominant.

I'm not a Lewis fan (nor an F1 fan - stopped watching at the turn of the last decade - think 2012/2013) but his achievements should definitely be GOATable.

Hasn't his rise and dominance coincided with the sport losing a lot of viewers/fans over the years? Maybe that could partly be a contributing factor? Unless I'm imagining things :lol: :nervous:
I was thinking the same thing. When I was growing up everyone followed and watched F1. Now it seems like a niche sport that most people don’t care about. Bummer for Hamilton but them’s the breaks.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I think that's where the difference lies. That's all Schumacher ever wanted to do.

I've met Hamilton a few times too, albeit a long time ago in his McLaren days, and I know people who know him very well. He wasn't always this way. I don't know what changed, but it sounds like somewhere along the way he's acquired a massive chip on his shoulder about the sport that's given him everything.

He's almost an outsider now in the sport he dominates. Schumacher was liked, loved or at the very least respected by everyone.
I think you and I exchanged posts a year or two ago on exactly the same topic.

He’s the equivalent of a child actor. Early success. Constant ego inflation from a circle of people that say yes more than no.

Schumacher didn’t give a feck about being liked. He stayed on brand. Paid his dues to sponsors. But he also got LIT at Oktoberfest with regular Germans (including my brother in law).

I truly don’t begrudge the fella earning millions for being the best at something. But that armchair-psychologist line linking him to a child actor feels right. He’s never known anything other than being the best at what he does, and that alone opening every door. It would Fcuk me up. While I criticise him I know that I’d have probably gone the way of Hunt. Zero chance I would have lived long and developed a boring persona.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
There's no thread on him, but he's discussed and admired widely in the F1 thread:

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/f1-2020-season.452125/page-89#post-26370131

I think for some reason that in this country we tend to have a tendency to bash successful British sportsmen and try to undermine their achievements. Couple that with athletes tending to not get the recognition that they fully deserve until they retire and I think a lot of people will say Schumacher.

I've only really watched F1 when Lewis has been in it and only saw the backend of Michael's career, so i'd always say Lewis in the debate. Both incredible though as the stats show.
Why is that d'you reckon? It's strange. Look at Greece for example Tsitsipas and Adetokunbo are like gods there.

Siorac

Disagree about Alonso. Alonso would have at least 3 titles if Ferrari had competent people in charge in 2010-12(and add another if McLaren didn't do him dirty in 2007...)

He just had the bad luck of coming through in an era were the importance of the car massively overtook that of the driver and he was too much of an arsehole(professionally speaking) for Red Bull/Mercedes to sign him. Also chose his teams poorly. I mean, Jenson fecking Button won a title in this modern era of F1....

Hamilton's title with McLaren in a way was more impressive than his dominance with mercedes

Hamilton one of the greats, best of his era, and i love watching him drive, i'm gonna leave it at that
I mean, that's an awful lot of "what ifs" regarding Alonso. He could have been one of the greats but in the end he isn't. He's just one of the very goods. A Häkkinen, if you like.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Does anyone not think that if Hamilton was blonde/blue-eyed he’d be more loved by the British press?

He’s not only black, he likes his bling and has outspoken political opinions that piss off Daily Mail readers. There’s absolutely no doubt in my mind that these factors combine to make him less beloved in the UK than he could be.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Im going with Schumacher, but in the spirit of honesty thats because I am a massive fan boy, he is hands down my favourite driver ever.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Why is that d'you reckon? It's strange. Look at Greece for example Tsitsipas and Adetokunbo are like gods there.
I really don't know. I think with Hamilton in particular when it comes to the press, there is certainly a racial aspect to it. As we've seen with Sterling, as we're seeing with Greenwood too.

But I do think it's quite a british thing anyway, shit on our own for some reason. It's bizarre.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I was thinking the same thing. When I was growing up everyone followed and watched F1. Now it seems like a niche sport that most people don’t care about. Bummer for Hamilton but them’s the breaks.
His dominance has been in an era when the sport has been on Sky Sports too, which means a smaller audience. F1 was on BBC in its heyday, just like snooker was.

LordNinio

I don't think many people put forward Alonso as the goat, so no. He's actually got a personality though.

I don't believe Rosberg is a Tier 1 champion, and yet he was the equal or better or Hamilton that year even in the races without technical issues. He was also beaten by Button in 2011 in the same car.

He trades poles with his teammates 60/40, whereas Schumacher was something like 170 in 180.

This is all subjective anyway. I'd have him as 3/4th best.
What? Schumacher had 68 Poles, Lewis has 97...

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
His dominance has been in an era when the sport has been on Sky Sports too, which means a smaller audience. F1 was on BBC in its heyday, just like snooker was.
True. Good point. Plus when F1 was on BBC there was much less sport being broadcast in general. In fact, much less content of any kind.

Extremely boring (IMO) sports like F1 and snooker are a hell of a lot more interesting when there’s feck all else to watch on tv!

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Didn’t it used be on BBC around Sunday lunchtime?
I think terrestrial TV losing almost everything as killed interest in a lot of sports over time sadly

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Does anyone not think that if Hamilton was blonde/blue-eyed he’d be more loved by the British press?

He’s not only black, he likes his bling and has outspoken political opinions that piss off Daily Mail readers. There’s absolutely no doubt in my mind that these factors combine to make him less beloved in the UK than he could be.
Its actually quite disgusting how obvious it is, Button, Jenson Fecking Button, and Hill seem to be more revered for doing frankly nothing compared to Lewis.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Yeah this is what I thought first. In the 90s you had 4 channels to choose from on that Sunday and one of them was a once a week live f1 race.

Jippy

Staff
True. Good point. Plus when F1 was on BBC there was much less sport being broadcast in general. In fact, much less content of any kind.

Extremely boring (IMO) sports like F1 and snooker are a hell of a lot more interesting when there’s feck all else to watch on tv!
Yeah, christ, I remember when it was just one random game a week on the Sunday. Feels like a lifetime ago. Everyone watched that Dennis Taylor final.

marktan

Not sure where all this stuff about Hamilton being a mish-mash of boring, arrogant, a bell-end and a child actor all in one are coming from.

I've followed the guy on social media for about 2-3 years now (after not caring about F1 previously) and he always strikes me as a pretty well-rounded guy. Regularly thanks the people that contribute to his success, promotes the environment heavily, this year has stood up for the BLM-related politics and generally looks like he's having a good time with travelling, clothing collaborations etc.

Of course he probably comes across as arrogant, and probably self-indulgent at times but not too dissimilar a way to say Ronaldo does.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Meh. They’d probably laud him more, but only the flighty racists.

Hamilton seemingly decided to be a Black Cartoon at one point. He was a pretty regular kid from Stevenage for the longest time. He bought into this weird parody of ‘Blackness’ somewhere along the way.

I think the biggest battle is that he doesn’t really ever say anything meaningful. The Daily Mail class May hate him for the reasons you state, but the Liberal Class hate him for his hollow words. Supporting Cause X while earning millions, living in a tax haven.

He’s transparent. He’s not getting into the deepest roots of black oppression. There’s not a community drive and no emotion-led narrative. He’s among the best paid sports stars on the planet. He’s just so goddamn empty.

I’ll quit now as someone has already (correctly) pointed out that I sound like a jilted lover. I think he’s just a wasted empty shell of a human.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

Hamilton seemingly decided to be a Black Cartoon at one point. He was a pretty regular kid from Stevenage for the longest time. He bought into this weird parody of ‘Blackness’ somewhere along the way.

I think the biggest battle is that he doesn’t really ever say anything meaningful. The Daily Mail class May hate him for the reasons you state, but the Liberal Class hate him for his hollow words. Supporting Cause X while earning millions, living in a tax haven.

He’s transparent. He’s not getting into the deepest roots of black oppression. There’s not a community drive and no emotion-led narrative. He’s among the best paid sports stars on the planet. He’s just so goddamn empty.

I’ll quit now as someone has already (correctly) pointed out that I sound like a jilted lover. I think he’s just a wasted empty shell of a human.
What's all that got to do with him being a race driver?

Jippy

Staff

How would you like to see him demonstrate this out of interest?

As an aside, I've no idea if or what charitable donations he makes, but there is a weird view that anyone who is a high earner is not allowed to have any views or beliefs. Obviously, it means a lot more if he backs it up with action, but there is a lot of dismissing people purely because they work in lucrative professions. It's like the people saying Rashford should pay for underprivileged kids' school meals himself.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Schumacher didn’t give a feck about being liked. He stayed on brand. Paid his dues to sponsors. But he also got LIT at Oktoberfest with regular Germans (including my brother in law).
If this is meant to be a way of criticising Hamilton for being 'boring' in comparison to Schumacher - then it really doesn't make sense.
Hamilton is well known for constantly partying at Caribbean festivals including a famous pic of him partying with Rihanna, in fact I believe he even got in trouble for opting to partying during the F1 mid-season and was criticised heavily for it. I understand Caribbean festivals may not be as well known in the Western world as Oktoberfest, but to decide Hamilton doesn't party is frankly incorrect. Also at 35 years old, it's possible he's just grown out of it now.

Can you expand on this? How has he bought into a 'parody' of 'blackness', and how are you defining what 'blackness' should be, as someone who is not black?
He can be a regular kid from Stevenage who didn't feel the need to lean into his 'blackness' in order to fit into an environment where he stood out, but now he has a platform & large following he understands the importance that his voice appropriately. That's exactly what I, and many other black people have had to do.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Its actually quite disgusting how obvious it is, Button, Jenson Fecking Button, and Hill seem to be more revered for doing frankly nothing compared to Lewis.
Button is nowhere near the talent but he’s a likeable bloke which is probably the main reason.

I’m by no means dismissing the race angle as I’m sure it plays a part but Hamilton’s biggest issue from a popularity point of view is his personality.

marktan

I've got to say the bolded is some of the biggest load of crap I've read in a while. Won't go into what you're saying but you seem to have weird vendetta against him. Just off the top of my head he regularly promotes vegetarianism, the environment and racial equality, which is much more than the average person or even celebrity does and really shouldn't be how we judge people anyway.

Siorac

Not sure where all this stuff about Hamilton being a mish-mash of boring, arrogant, a bell-end and a child actor all in one are coming from.

I've followed the guy on social media for about 2-3 years now (after not caring about F1 previously) and he always strikes me as a pretty well-rounded guy. Regularly thanks the people that contribute to his success, promotes the environment heavily, this year has stood up for the BLM-related politics and generally looks like he's having a good time with travelling, clothing collaborations etc.

Of course he probably comes across as arrogant, and probably self-indulgent at times but not too dissimilar a way to say Ronaldo does.
I'd go as far as to say he comes across as exactly the same type of sportsman.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Yeah, christ, I remember when it was just one random game a week on the Sunday. Feels like a lifetime ago. Everyone watched that Dennis Taylor final.
We couldnt afford sky when it first came out, so my only regular football fix was midlands football on sunday afternoon, thats why I still have a soft spot for wolves to this day!

LordNinio

Completely agree with this. I think some people don't like celebrities using their platform to voice their opinions on issues other than the sport they're involved with. Particularly things that jar with their way of life, like his animal welfare side, or even his BLM stuff. But why shouldn't he? He's given an almost unique platform to stand up for things he believes in.

LordNinio

Apologies not poles; I mean quali performance vs teammate.
I think that weighs in Hamiltons favour, it shows Hamilton has been pitted against drivers in his team that in their day could hold their own. Yet he still came out on top come the race, where it matters.

UnrelatedPsuedo

How would you like to see him demonstrate this out of interest?

As an aside, I've no idea if or what charitable donations he makes, but there is a weird view that anyone who is a high earner is not allowed to have any views or beliefs. Obviously, it means a lot more if he backs it up with action, but there is a lot of dismissing people purely because they work in lucrative professions. It's like the people saying Rashford should pay for underprivileged kids' school meals himself.
Come on.... I’m acknowledging his absolute talent and dedication, but there’s got to be something ‘there’ if you’re going to get elevated for your social impact.

He’s the perfect corporate sportsman. He’s the Tom Brady of F1. I don’t begrudge him making all of the decisions that got him here. He’s an absolute success.

But I’m not going to accept that he’s poorly judged because he doesn’t have the Daily Mails backing due to him being black. Your example of Rashford explains why.

Rashford is doing the right thing and I think all would agree, he’d go full Kapernik if need be. If he saw Sponsors threaten contract cancellation due to his political position, he’d tell them to Fcuk off. He’d carry on trying to feed kids.

EVERYONE backs Marcus. The latest round of Anti-Mail pieces has validated him.

You don’t have to be bland. Lewis is.

Jippy

Staff
Come on.... I’m acknowledging his absolute talent and dedication, but there’s got to be something ‘there’ if you’re going to get elevated for your social impact.

He’s the perfect corporate sportsman. He’s the Tom Brady of F1. I don’t begrudge him making all of the decisions that got him here. He’s an absolute success.

But I’m not going to accept that he’s poorly judged because he doesn’t have the Daily Mails backing due to him being black. Your example of Rashford explains why.

Rashford is doing the right thing and I think all would agree, he’d go full Kapernik if need be. If he saw Sponsors threaten contract cancellation due to his political position, he’d tell them to Fcuk off. He’d carry on trying to feed kids.

EVERYONE backs Marcus. The latest round of Anti-Mail pieces has validated him.

You don’t have to be bland. Lewis is.
He is kind of bland, but maybe that in part comes from dedicating yourself to one thing through all of your formative years, eg Steve Davis, Mansell, Hendry, Murray and countless others.

Not everyone backs Rashford- read the comments section in any right wing press. If the DM's readers universally loved him, the paper wouldn't trying to smear him. They're an extension of their readers after all.

Balljy

He’s the perfect corporate sportsman. He’s the Tom Brady of F1.
He's quite disliked in "some" circles (not looking at you Daily Mail) for standing so vigorously for BLM and wearing that branding when he shouldn't be. It's the right thing to do, so he's doing it so I think he will stand up for things against the F1 commercial machine when he needs to.

He's got in trouble for being outspoken about it too.

UnrelatedPsuedo

He is kind of bland, but maybe that in part comes from dedicating yourself to one thing through all of your formative years, eg Steve Davis, Mansell, Hendry, Murray and countless others.

Not everyone backs Rashford- read the comments section in any right wing press. If the DM's readers universally loved him, the paper wouldn't trying to smear him. They're an extension of their readers after all.
Again, full of respect for how good he is at driving a car.

But O’Sullivan was better than Davis and Hendry, Senna was better than Mansell and the ‘Big 3’ were better than. Murray. All while having a personality.

Honestly, I appreciate that I sound like I have a vendetta, but I’ve met the bloke plenty of times. Before and after success. As has @11101 who adds some bits and pieces here in a far more mature manner. He does not endorse my view in it’s entirety.

The fella is weird. The ‘Blackness’ (awful term) came in as some convergence point with his ‘Celebrity Life’ with a pussycat doll. He was a down the line talented dude that was reasonably grounded, albeit a little aloof and arrogant. Then came tattoos, chains and ‘The Life’. There was no authenticity there. It just rings hollow for me.

(Agree on Rashford though. People are easily turned. Just took a look at the comments section. Yikes)

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
I really don't know. I think with Hamilton in particular when it comes to the press, there is certainly a racial aspect to it. As we've seen with Sterling, as we're seeing with Greenwood too.

But I do think it's quite a british thing anyway, shit on our own for some reason. It's bizarre.
I think it must be the latter, the press loved Daley Thompson as far as I can remember, yeah it is bizarre.

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal
One of the best sports stars Britain has ever produced. He is literally the Roger Federer of Tennis.

I'm sure you know how complicated with the fine margins being an F1 driver has, it requires an even greater amount of sustained concentration, physical fitness and tolerances that no other sport can really match. One mistake and you can be potentially dead. I'm sure you guys know through your frustrations on casual go karting how an extremely difficult, yet technical sport it is.

That being said, I'm not the biggest fan of the guy in general. Tries too hard to be an advocate for everything.

Button is nowhere near the talent but he’s a likeable bloke which is probably the main reason.

I’m by no means dismissing the race angle as I’m sure it plays a part but Hamilton’s biggest issue from a popularity point of view is his personality.
Button is a prat. I've met him too. He just comes across well on camera.

Part of Hamilton's problem is he's too good. Britain envies success and loves to cut people down to size. By contrast we love a plucky underdog like Button and Brawn.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
He's had a significant advantage over everyone in the sport for years.
Talented driver no doubt but so are all of the top guys. It's not a coincidence that he didnt win titles when not in the best car.
Plus hes a knob.

The sport is not a sport really is it.
Its about who has the best car and best bunch of beautiful minds to create such engineering beauty and race tactics. Driving is not the whole picture is it.

I'd love to see him and the rest of them in a car of the same spec in a pure race. We could then draw comparisons on who is the best driver

Is Hamilton the best ever? I dont think he is. He has the most titles etc but for talent I'd put a few omen ahead of him. Senna for me was the best.
Prost was class. Vettel and Alonso. Schumacher obviously.

well done to Hamilton he does the business but it has to be getting boring for him now at this point. Such a significant car and team advantage is only pointing to more of the same next year.

Fingeredmouse

One of the best sports stars Britain has ever produced. He is literally the Roger Federer of Tennis.

I'm sure you know how complicated with the fine margins being an F1 driver has, it requires an even greater amount of sustained concentration, physical fitness and tolerances that no other sport can really match. One mistake and you can be potentially dead. I'm sure you guys know through your frustrations on casual go karting how an extremely difficult, yet technical sport it is.

That being said, I'm not the biggest fan of the guy in general. Tries too hard to be an advocate for everything.
Isn't Rodger Federer the Rodger Federer of tennis?