LGBT issues in Football

Sweet Square

Think Newcastle will be up for another Rainbow Laces campaign?

Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people in the United Arab Emirates face legal challenges not experienced by non-LGBT people. All sexual relations outside of heterosexual marriage are criminalized. Punishments may include jail time, floggings,[15] death, fines, deportation, chemical castration,[8][9] forced psychological treatments,[10] beatings,[11][5] forced hormone injections,[12] and torture.[11][13] Adultery and fornication are crimes punished with death, and a person convicted of homosexuality may also face charges of adultery if they have an opposite-sex spouse while having sexual relations with a person of the same sex. Homosexuality is illegal in the UAE, and is punishable by the death penalty under sharia law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_the_United_Arab_Emirates

FatTails

It’s unreal, in 2021, reading a sentence like “punishments may include jail time, floggings, death, fines, deportation, chemical castration, forced psychological treatments, beatings, forced hormone injections, and torture.

432JuanMata

It’s unreal, in 2021, reading a sentence like “punishments may include jail time, floggings, death, fines, deportation, chemical castration, forced psychological treatments, beatings, forced hormone injections, and torture.
It’s actually mental when you read it isn’t it. It seems like a statement you would see in a history book in school.
It’s such a shame as Dubai is a stunning place yet the outrageous rules ruin the whole UAE

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
It's proper mental there and the only reasons people turn blind eye on it are money and pc.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
It’s actually mental when you read it isn’t it. It seems like a statement you would see in a history book in school.
It’s such a shame as Dubai is a stunning place yet the outrageous rules ruin the whole UAE
Tbh this is the case in any Islamic country. There’s never going to be acceptance of LGBTQ communities there.

Raven

It’s Tomus, he thinks it’s alright for facists to assault gay rights supporters. Don’t expect a reply with any logic or any bearing on reality.
Yeah, not a great look but I'd just like to get an explanation on how and why he thinks pc culture is somehow covering up Dubai's crimes.

NotThatSoph

Yeah, not a great look but I'd just like to get an explanation on how and why he thinks pc culture is somehow covering up Dubai's crimes.
These aren't the only crimes they're covering up. Apparently like a million Christians around the world get beheaded for their faith every single year.

Tomuś

It’s Tomus, he thinks it’s alright for facists to assault gay rights supporters. Don’t expect a reply with any logic or any bearing on reality.
Which means you're for discriminating against lgbt? Because I stressed how serious the issue is there and you complain. Then you talk about logic hmmmmmm.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I guess realistically, the more involved in grass roots Western culture they are, the more likely that gradually, they will progress and improve their own culture.

If you think about it, City blatantly supporting gay pride while being owned by Qatar and that being shown all over the World so loudly highlights the archaic, barbaric laws over there, that gradually it’ll begin to trickle through their culture - it won’t be the other way ‘round.
Good post. We can see that with PSG and Qatar. Before PSG, Qatar already invested a lot of money in France but nobody really cared about what they were doing in there country since we didn't know who they were, it was only deals known by businessman but the general population barely knew Qatar was a country. When they bought PSG, they revealed themselves to the population and critics had far more weight. They had to gradually improve their human rights policies. Don't get me wrong, that's FAR from enough but at least it's not as bad as it was 10 years ago.

Raven

A non-portable computer.
Okay, so perhaps this is where the hold up is. Everyone thought you were being a belligerent gammon but it turns out you just didn't know the alternate definition of the term you were using.

The term pc stands for political correctness, just for future reference.

Tomuś

Okay, so perhaps this is where the hold up is. Everyone thought you were being a belligerent gammon but it turns out you just didn't know the alternate definition of the term you were using.

The term pc stands for political correctness, just for future reference.
Wait you actually thought I did mean it

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Wait you actually thought I did mean it
Sarcasm.

Anyway, I disagree poltical correctness has anything to do with ignoring human rights issues in places like Saudi-Arabia, the UAE, or Qatar. It's all about money and politics.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Shameful but that’s human nature isn’t it. Feck it all for a grab at the wealth!

FatTails

Shameful but that’s human nature isn’t it. Feck it all for a grab at the wealth!
Is it even wealth for the supporters? They get to see their team win trophies possibly, but is there a monetary benefit? Or does it come down to bragging rights?

Dan_F

Sarcasm.

Anyway, I disagree poltical correctness has anything to do with ignoring human rights issues in places like Saudi-Arabia, the UAE, or Qatar. It's all about money and politics.
Really? But football fans are famous for their political correctness

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Is it even wealth for the supporters? They get to see their team win trophies possibly, but is there a monetary benefit? Or does it come down to bragging rights?
Well yes it comes down to wealth in that they now have an unlimited transfer budget which is what they are ultimately celebrating. Sure they aren’t directly seeing the money but they are all certainly aware of what this blood money means.

Tomuś

Sarcasm.

Politics which pc is, has always been and will be a huge part of. At this time it's like talking about semantics and a few guys just take whatever I said as anti something.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
No morals in football. I hope they enjoy their blood covered trophies!