LGBT issues in Football

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Also, Crafton’s article is well worth a read.

I read the entire thing yesterday. I can't imagine the terror those people live with on a daily basis.

Member 101269

It's part of the duality of football in particular. It's ease of access has enabled its global reach and the passion and devotion it inspires often comes from very unsavory people. Racists, sexists, gay haters, anti Muslim, anti jew etc. Fifa/uefa like all.big corporations nowadays puts money ahead of any sort of ethics or morality and therefore these things will continue to happen until the consumers demand better or those in charge change.
they’re not great on neurodivesity: it’s okay to say someone is stupid if the misspell something..

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Brave thing to do and I hope he has a brilliant career.

Some of the comments on Twitter are vile. I've reported all of them but feck all will be done.

Also so many comments along the lines of 'who cares' and 'this is news?' etc... which feels just as homophobic to me. People know for the most-part they can't be outright against it so they go along the second best route which is to diminish it.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll

Some of the comments on Twitter are vile. I've reported all of them but feck all will be done.

Also so many comments along the lines of 'who cares' and 'this is news?' etc... which feels just as homophobic to me. People know for the most-part they can't be outright against it so they go along the second best route which is to diminish it.
"Why do they feel the need to announce it - I don't go around telling everyone I'm straight"

Ugh

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
"Why do they feel the need to announce it - I don't go around telling everyone I'm straight"

Ugh
They think saying that hides it, but it doesn't.

Unless those same people reply to every single bit of news that way then you know the underlying reason for the comment.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

Yeah it’s very odd and it’s definitely homophobic in nature. Can’t be easy for a 21 year old to come out so publicly and most of the reception has been positive and welcoming from what I’ve seen. Sadly you’re always going to have a section of idiots, but I pity them more than anything.

padzilla

Hipster
It makes me laugh that people say things like 'I don't go around announcing I am straight", why would it even it occur to you to announce you were straight unless there was a doubt deep in your subconscious?

Member 101269

I'm afraid I don't quite follow you buddy
Many of the exclusions mentioned form ablism; well it’s great some are supported the lack of inclusion for others, disabilities, is incredible. In particular invisible disabilities, the neurodivergent. It’s not okay to say what cavani did, it’s okay to say someone is stupid if there is a spelling mistake. The multilevel dualities are incredible..

It's part of the duality of football in particular. It's ease of access has enabled its global reach and the passion and devotion it inspires often comes from very unsavory people. Racists, sexists, gay haters, anti Muslim, anti jew etc. Fifa/uefa like all.big corporations nowadays puts money ahead of any sort of ethics or morality and therefore these things will continue to happen until the consumers demand better or those in charge change.
I agree with this but would also add that there is wide spread massive problem with homophobia in african countries and muslim countries, and in the black and muslim people living in the west too. There's also a lot of Asian racism towards black people.

Football is mirroring the wider world were we see corruption everywhere.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Good on him. I really hope others follow his example. The club seems to stand firmly behind him, too. Should make coming out easier for others.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Good on him. I really hope others follow his example. The club seems to stand firmly behind him, too. Should make coming out easier for others.
A little bit, I think. I still reckon this leaves Robbie Rogers as by far the most high profile player to be out whilst playing but baby steps are still getting you closer to the goal.

My suspicion is increasingly that players in the top leagues coming out is all gonna happen at once, rather than with a single trailblazer. We'll suddenly learn that like 20 players from the top 5 leagues have come out.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I agree with this but would also add that there is wide spread massive problem with homophobia in african countries and muslim countries, and in the black and muslim people living in the west too. There's also a lot of Asian racism towards black people.

Football is mirroring the wider world were we see corruption everywhere.
Homophobia is rife in western society as well. Until a few years ago gay marriage wasn't allowed in the States. Hate crimes against LGBT people are a thing as well. This really isn't an issue many societies can sit on a high horse about.

But I agree, football is a mirror of the wider world for the most part.

Homophobia is rife in western society as well. Until a few years ago gay marriage wasn't allowed in the States. Hate crimes against LGBT people are a thing as well. This really isn't an issue many societies can sit on a high horse about.

But I agree, football is a mirror of the wider world for the most part.
The person I was replying to already covered that - hence I said ' I would add...'

RUCK4444

Good on him. I’m surprised somebody hasn’t already come out before now, being the first makes you a bit famous doesn’t it. A cult hero as well.

I suppose there is a genuine fear on the part of the player/s stopping them.

DOTA

Good on him. I’m surprised somebody hasn’t already come out before now, being the first makes you a bit famous doesn’t it. A cult hero as well.

I suppose there is a genuine fear on the part of the player/s stopping them.
Robbie Rogers was really, except he announced both his retirement and his coming out shortly after Leeds let him go. He then changed his mind about retiring and played for LA Galaxy for a few years. So he wasn't actually an active footballer when he came out but he was like two months later.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa

how is it diminishing it to think it shouldn't be news? Its making it big news that always makes it harder for people like him in the first place.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020

Maybe it's a case of people trying to play it down in terms of that it doesn't need to be announced, we are all equal. I disagree with that notion in any case, more and more should come forward until there isn't the need for it to be announced. Big stride and well done to him!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
how is it diminishing it to think it shouldn't be news? Its making it big news that always makes it harder for people like him in the first place.
I used to be of the view that it shouldn’t be news but I think differently now. It needs to be out there loud and proud because then other people will be inspired to follow. I’m of the opinion that a lot of the people saying “who cares” are against it. They don’t say who cares for any other bits of news but they’re suddenly out talking about politics being shoved down our throats when something like this happens. It’s pretty much always only politics they don’t like. Not that this even is political but you know how people are.

Joeace2020

Shame this is where the world is. Men proud to shag men and women proud to do same. Some day, when all of this ends, we all will answer for our messed up belief systems. How we called straight people homophobic and encouraged societal ills that have been carefully and meticulously ingrained into popular culture over several years. One day, we will answer!

I don't reply so don't waste your time. My work is to provoke common sense in those who still have it. Those destined for destruction will head there regardless of what sane people say or do.

Football will never be for gay people!

**************** Admin Note: Please stop reporting this post. It has already been dealt with. *******************

Last edited by a moderator:

AllGoodNamesRGone

Supports
Arsenal
Shame this is where the world is. Men proud to shag men and women proud to do same. Some day, when all of this ends, we all will answer for our messed up belief systems. How we called straight people homophobic and encouraged societal ills that have been carefully and meticulously ingrained into popular culture over several years. One day, we will answer!
Wtf are you on about

Hamnat

What makes it big news is the fear players have that it will effect their careers, their families etc. Just look at some of the comments that even Premiere League get on some of the Pride Month campaigns a lot of it is completely disgusting. Watching his video I mean you can literally see the weight lifted off him just getting to be honest about something basic.

Of course it shouldn't be a big deal. But, the reality is clear that it is still in sports and general and the major leagues especially. Just statistically there must be more players that we all would know actively playing that are having to hide basic pieces of their lives in order to concentrate on their careers or protect themselves or family.

We as fans should not want this pressure on our players. Having to constantly maintain the lies, to themselves, and teammates, and media, etc. is just one more thing that keeps them from giving what they need to to sport. They shouldn't have to be worried about who they are seen with, or having a loved one come to the game or team dinner, or trophy celebration because that will out them.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point

I don't reply so don't waste your time. My work is to provoke common sense in those who still have it. Those destined for destroy will head there regardless of what sane people say or do.
But before then, I think you will probably be asked to. Except you may find posting difficult :lol:

One of the weakest comments I've seen on this site, shame it's come in a thread regarding an amazing step taken by a professional footballer.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

I don't reply so don't waste your time. My work is to provoke common sense in those who still have it. Those destined for destruction will head there regardless of what sane people say or do.

Cya c*nt

Widow

I'm confused.

Are you for or against homosexuality?

Edit: bye fella

DOTA

He was about an inch from just straight up 'the Jews are making people gay' there.

norm87cro

The biggest issue with gay footballers is that there are certainly 5 % of them and nobody is coming out because of the macho culture that comes along with the sport. It should change.

atkar83

It literally affects you in no way shape or form. If this a Jesus thing, let the player worry about his soul, again, that has zero bearing on you. If him being a gay player angers you or affects your enjoyment of the game, well then I think you need to work on your hate

Reactions: Cheimoon

Withnail

Kindly get fecked.

Absolutely heartless and probably claims to be a Christian.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband

:lol::lol::lol::lol::houllier:

OK bye