LGBT issues in Football

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
I can see the football authorities making a big statement soon on acceptance of the LGBT community, right after we get the whole "having the sports biggest competition taking place in a country where homosexuality is illegal" thing out of the way.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
The world is how it is. A few days ago I watched a documentary about Africa. In Congo they queue up in masses for a dude who sells them "magic juice" to heal AIDS, cancer and pretty much every other disease. He makes millions out of it and fills entire football stadiums to preach (at least it's used for something after World Cup 2010 I suppose).

More than half the planet lives in the stone ages mentally. First world urban metropolitan minority social justice issues are not on the radar of 85 % of the world's population. Football institutions and where a football tournament takes place won't change much about it. The world is not New York, London and Berlin. Everyone knows this without "Twitter awarness raising".
Just to say that those centres of financial and geopolitical power have been instrumental in how the world is. And the world is the way it is because it's not half the planet, it's pretty much most of the planet that tolerates or celebrates it.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Interesting that we are not hearing anything on the anti-gay stance of the Muslim. How come?
Because this is a thread about Poland and their issues with the LGBT community. Deflections or whataboutism is no solution.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
While I’m saying negative about Poland I’m not saying it’s the majority of people and I’m sure it’s one of the countries that it has never been illegal ? It’s just from what I seen I wouldn’t be comfortable, I’m not saying it’s like any African or Middle East country I’m just comparing to Europe as a whole. As you said every country has its negatives and while I feel Poland is one of the most developing countries over the last few years it still falls behind the top countries in this matter.

As I said I’ve lived in Poland in 2018 for 4 months travelling most of the country and from a personal point it was nothing but perfect. The amount of times I was in local bars with people I couldn’t speak a lick of Polish they couldn’t speak English but we got on so well.
Wait, you are still alive? Good on you mate for risking your life after that pussy, racist talk from Campbell before EURO 2012.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I'm Polish too and while it's not perfect over here you are right. This is a disappointing read. Expected more from the Athletic, quality-wise.

What the government and church say is one thing (and I abhor their narrative so much) but regular life is another. Big cities fortunately are good places to live in.

Interesting that we are not hearing anything on the anti-gay stance of the Muslim. How come?

Half of all British Muslims think homosexuality should be illegal

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...se-of-belonging-poll-homosexuality-sharia-law
Big cities are indeed mostly fine but even then there are communities where you wouldn’t feel comfortable being honest about your homosexuality.

People often get misled by how their close circle perceives those communities but being able to write in English well enough to post here probably means you are more educated that most of the country and that also usually means that you hang around more educated groups as well. Which almost automatically means they will have a different stance from most of the country.

Then again we got educated people supporting Konfederacja here so not sure our education even works.

Cultured left ankle

I'm Polish too and while it's not perfect over here you are right. This is a disappointing read. Expected more from the Athletic, quality-wise.

What the government and church say is one thing (and I abhor their narrative so much) but regular life is another. Big cities fortunately are good places to live in.

Half of all British Muslims think homosexuality should be illegal

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...se-of-belonging-poll-homosexuality-sharia-law
Yes and no on the church front. surely you can't discount that most polish people would say they're Catholic - indeed many would reject the current popes calls to modernisation. and, yes major cities are a different matter, the majority of poles still live in places like radom or Zloty stok or zielona gora where any deviation from 'white straight Catholic' are viewed with suspicion at best.

To be clear, though, the UK still. l has a lot to do when it comes to issues on trans rights, so most western counties have their issues.

Poland is slowly opening up to new ideas. it's a country which has undergone a lot of modernisation since I first came back in 2005. Such change is never easy so I have patience with my Polish friends and acquaintances. but let's not pretend it's there just yet.

Bwuk

Let’s not pretend it’s not an issue in the UK.

There will always be backwards thinking people in every country. I find it sad that LGBT isn’t normalised. I couldn’t care less who’s shagging who.

Tomuś

Because this is a thread about Poland and their issues with the LGBT community. Deflections or whataboutism is no solution.
Yeah, we wouldn't like to carry onto ANY other form of dicrimination, morals and ethic, would we :)?

Oranges038

I'd rather see us all just agree on zero... Religion is obviously a major reason for this and lots of other bad shit happening all over the world... That's sadly just wishful thinking though
Could always go around the world spreading that mantra through pillaging, rape, fear and violence. Worked for some other belief systems.

In my view. It's the idea that it is a sin that is still engrained in people and it lives on. Because religious idealogy structured peoples moral values and it permeated governments it found it's way into the law books.

Only legalized/decriminalized in England in the 60's and Ireland in 93. Funnily enough Polish laws were changed long before these. It's less than 10 years since same sex marriage is allowed in both, this is still not allowed in Poland.

There are plenty of countries that it is still illegal, let alone have marriage rights. So I don't think we can really be looking at other countries with any real contempt for not doing these things, when you consider how it's only recently things have changed in the UK and Ireland.

It's a sad state of affairs, but one lad on Twitter, FIFA or UEFA aren't going to change it in a hurry.

Cultured left ankle

Tell us a bit more on why those far right groups attack them in the first place? What those lovely souls do to churches, other protests, outdoor praying etc. What language they use standing right in front of the kids.
Given the church has long called for the extermination of the lgbt community (public shaming, running conversion therapy etc) they have made themselves a target. the extent to which activists 'attack' churches rarely goes beyond graffiti or silent protest. meanwhile, those who are publicly out are assaulted or worse.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'language in front of kids' but I assume you mean the clip of one of the leaders of the recent women's rights marches who was filmed swearing with some kids around. that's a different movement - but obviously shares philosophies.

While you do see (ahem) 'both sides' being involved in violence. only one side hates the other because of some immutable part of who that person is and will hate them regardless. ultimately, I can't change my sexuality but another person can absolutely change their willingness to hate someone because of it.

Tomuś

Yeah, totally devastating St Mary figure etc is also understandable. They're doing everything to create a scandal and hurt others here on those protests, nothing to do with defending themselves.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I love how these threads always seem to end up as a debate between some butthurt nationalists who try to argue which religion and or country is worse and why theirs is better. What could have been a serious discussion about queer issues, suddenly becomes a playground for racist stereotypes.

Lee565

UEFA are a complete joke, quick to act in threatening the super league clubs and any players associated with them with sanctions but tread softly with racism and homophobia issues.

All they are interested in is purely protecting their own pockets just like the break away clubs they have condemned.

FreddieTheReddie

https://www.google.hu/amp/s/amp.the...-rainbow-colours-after-hungary-anti-lgbtq-law

Munich mayor tried to get permission from UEFA to light Allianz Arena in rainbow colours after anti-LGBTQ+ law was passed by Hungarian parliament. Looks like it’s not gonna happen, “they don’t want to get into political debates”. UEFA again proved how little they care about minorities, especially when there’s little to no pressure from the public.

Knightmare7

FIFA won't meaningfully crack down on anti-LGBT conduct in authoritarian countries because they love the benefits that come with it. FIFA loves hosting at Wembley, but they want all their VIP's to get in without having to observe COVID protocols so they immediately decide that Istanbul is an option, where they can't decide what military coup is next. Members of the LGBT community are easy targets for authoritarian countries because they prop them up as symbols of decadent Western nations, as people without morals, as signs of societal decay that authoritarians can point to and say "Vote for me otherwise more of THEM will start showing up! Globalism = bad gay." But FIFA is run by corrupt authoritarians, and they're all alike, which is why they're fine letting oligarch scumbags like Abramovitch (who has violated numerous human rights and has personally overseen the deaths of multiple Russian citizens as one of Putin's favored friends) run rampant (source: The New Tsar by Steven Lee Myers).

Charles Miller

You said no LGBT person has any problem there, and you've never seen it, but you're also acknowledging that far right groups do attack them?

Which is it?
I believe you didn't understand. He obviously think the LGBT protesters deserve be attacked by the poor neo nazis.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
https://www.google.hu/amp/s/amp.the...-rainbow-colours-after-hungary-anti-lgbtq-law

Munich mayor tried to get permission from UEFA to light Allianz Arena in rainbow colours after anti-LGBTQ+ law was passed by Hungarian parliament. Looks like it’s not gonna happen, “they don’t want to get into political debates”. UEFA again proved how little they care about minorities, especially when there’s little to no pressure from the public.
Ignore UEFA and do it anyway. What are they gonna do?

diarm

Ignore UEFA and do it anyway. What are they gonna do?
I thought the same. Do Uefa micromanage every other stadium hosting games as to what shade of lightbulbs they use? Tell them to feck away off and focus on the banners that were on display at games in Budapest instead.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Not even sure UEFA has much say about the exterior parts of a stadium.

Where does their perceived jurisdiction start? What if Munich put a massive pride statue in front of the stadium?

Tomuś

Yeah, the mayor obviously wanted to show his 'suport for minorities' there.. Poor sod:(

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

Do it anyway.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Just light it up anyway, and slap rainbow decor anywhere they possibly can. Surely UEFA don't want the negative PR of punishing a football association for being inclusive. They would be a laughing stock.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Just light it up anyway, and slap rainbow decor anywhere they possibly can. Surely UEFA don't want the negative PR of punishing a football association for being inclusive. They would be a laughing stock.
I’d love it if football rallied round this. Everyone just go rainbow mental and force UEFA to out themselves as a bunch of dicks.

Stacks

"Hungary's Foreign Minister Peter Szijjarto said the law was only aimed at paedophiles." don't know how true this is but Uefa need to decide what is the line between "politics" human rights and discrimination.

Wilbursaurus

Quality control
Tell us again why the LGBT protestors deserved to be beaten up by the right wing thugs?
Okay calm down Mr Leftie PC Brigade Cancel Culture man. Don't go getting offended again. I know it's what you lot do best but no need for it here. I'm sure there's another bandwagon for you to hop on soon. All aboard.

squiggle

Supports
Ligue 1, Arsenal
The term LGBT is a pretty poor one, though, conflating issues which really can't be conflated.

Parts of the T are currently in opposition to much of the LGB, dependent as current 'transgenderism' tends to be on a regressive 'gender' understanding. I don't think lesbians should be criticised for not wanting girl-dick. Gay men shouldn't have to be grouped with people who want children to consider a lifetime of medical care as an untroubled path to happiness.

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
Okay calm down Mr Leftie PC Brigade Cancel Culture man. Don't go getting offended again. I know it's what you lot do best but no need for it here. I'm sure there's another bandwagon for you to hop on soon. All aboard.
It's so refreshing to hear terms like Mr leftie PC Brigade Cancel Culture man. You are really owning the libs on this one, I'm sure there is another bandwagon for you to hop onto soon too.

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
The term LGBT is a pretty poor one, though, conflating issues which really can't be conflated.

Parts of the T are currently in opposition to much of the LGB, dependent as current 'transgenderism' tends to be on a regressive 'gender' understanding. I don't think lesbians should be criticised for not wanting girl-dick. Gay men shouldn't have to be grouped with people who want children to consider a lifetime of medical care as an untroubled path to happiness.
Feel like this post could be written by JkRowling