LGBT Relationship Lessons in UK Schools

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
Absolutely howling at this by the way.
Sorry I don't know how to tag everyone that picked up on this. I must have mistyped as I meant that there isn't a growing problem, as in it's not getting worse. I'm certainly not trying to claim that all homophobia is gone, that would be ridiculous as you all rightly pointed out.

Duafc

Village Lemon
How on earth is it increasing so much?

That’s quite terrifying
I'm not sure it's increasing to be honest, with more people comfortably out and less stigma around reporting actually being a victim and being willing to rightfully attribute it as a hate crime you would expect a big rise.

In some small way that's a positive that it's being labelled accurately and given the proper considerarions, despite obviously hate crimes being horrendous.

Unfortunately you would have to imagine in the grand scheme of things it's still under or inaccurately reported.

None of this distracting from the fact that anyone thinking there isn't a 'homophobia problem', whatever that means, lives on another planet.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
I'm not sure it's increasing to be honest, with more people comfortably out and less stigma around reporting actually being a victim and being willing to rightfully attribute it as a hate crime you would expect a big rise.

In some small way that's a positive that it's being labelled accurately and given the proper considerarions, despite obviously hate crimes being horrendous.

Unfortunately you would have to imagine in the grand scheme of things it's still under or inaccurately reported.

None of this distracting from the fact that anyone thinking there isn't a 'homophobia problem', whatever that means, lives on another planet.
Be interesting if we can verify whether it is increased reporting, an increase or both.

Tarrou

That's a good point, thanks

Hhard to know for sure but would make a lot of sense

Duafc

Village Lemon
Be interesting if we can verify whether it is increased reporting, an increase or both.
Difficult as you can never really account for the unreported.

I truly think it's more increased reporting which is actually good. Though an increase wouldn't surprise you given the polemic direction of society.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Difficult as you can never really account for the unreported.

I truly think it's more increased reporting which is actually good. Though an increase wouldn't surprise you given the polemic direction of society.
Trump's and Johnson's 'language'.

I suspect it is a bit of both but you'd have to canvas LGBT to find out if they are increasing reporting or increasingly being attacked.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Holy shit, this thread is like the virtue signaling olympics.
Go on buddy, point out the virtue signalling.
Coincidentally I have a their that anyone who uses the term ‘virtue signalling’ unironically is a moron. I look forward to you proving me wrong. To me it screams out ‘hey these people are more open minded than me, they must be putting it on to look good, it can’t be that I have no knowledge of the subject and support a shit football club’

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Trump's and Johnson's 'language'.

I suspect it is a bit of both but you'd have to canvas LGBT to find out if they are increasing reporting or increasingly being attacked.
I think it’s probably a bit of both too. I know people who have been attacked and felt there was no point in reporting it. Both verbal and physical abuse.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Coincidentally I have a their that anyone who uses the term ‘virtue signalling’ unironically is a moron. I look forward to you proving me wrong. To me it screams out ‘hey these people are more open minded than me, they mushave be putting it on to look good, it can’t be that I have no knowledge of the subject and support a shit football club’
Try posting a coherent sentence before calling people morons.

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
I'll indulge you @Cascarino; What's wrong with not wanting to pollute young kids' brains with sex at an age you don't find it appropriate yet? Not everyone is as progressive as the gang who piled on on Raess in this thread you know?

You seem to have a problem with the word virtue signaling but not much when words like bigot or homophobe are easily thrown around for people having a different opinion. How weird.

And before you say or think so, yes, the religious nutjobs who think homosexuality is a sin are even worse.

In a nutshell, you're all fecking bonkers.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Coincidentally I have a their that anyone who uses the term ‘virtue signalling’ unironically is a moron. I look forward to you proving me wrong. To me it screams out ‘hey these people are more open minded than me, they must be putting it on to look good, it can’t be that I have no knowledge of the subject and support a shit football club
You're calling someone else a moron, whilst at the same time insulting a Real Madrid fan for supporting a shit club, whilst being a fan of Swansea? :lol:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I'll indulge you @Cascarino; What's wrong with not wanting to pollute young kids' brains with sex at an age you don't find it appropriate yet? Not everyone is as progressive as the gang who piled on on Raess in this thread you know?

You seem to have a problem with the word virtue signaling but not much when words like bigot or homophobe are easily thrown around for people having a different opinion. How weird.

And before you say or think so, yes, the religious nutjobs who think homosexuality is a sin are even worse.

Nobody is advocating teaching young kids about sex.

What's the issue with teaching kids about the variety of different types of relationships that exist in the world?

I can't wrap my head around the harm of explaining to kids at a young age that the LGBTQ community exists, and that there is nothing wrong with that.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea

How is letting children read a book about two male penguins rearing a child polluting their brains with sex? It’s utter bullshit. They’re not being taught the proper etiquette when it comes to fisting, they’re just being made aware that not everyone is heterosexual. And yet people are freaking out about it. fecking snowflakes.

Like I said, show me the virtue signalling posts.

You're calling someone else a moron, whilst at the same time insulting a Real Madrid fan for supporting a shit club, whilst being a fan of Swansea? :lol:
Yeah clearly I think Swansea is a better and more prestigious football club than Real Madrid. Or maybe it was a joke. You can join people who use the phrase virtue signalling in the moron pile mate.

Tarrou

For reference, this is what the government website states;

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT)

36. In teaching Relationships Education and RSE, schools should ensure that the needs of all pupils are appropriately met, and that all pupils understand the importance of equality and respect. Schools must ensure that they comply with the relevant provisions of the Equality Act 2010, (please see The Equality Act 2010 and schools: Departmental advice), under which sexual orientation and gender reassignment are amongst the protected characteristics.

37. Schools should ensure that all of their teaching is sensitive and age appropriate in approach and content. At the point at which schools consider it appropriate to teach their pupils about LGBT, they should ensure that this content is fully integrated into their programmes of study for this area of the curriculum rather than delivered as a standalone unit or lesson. Schools are free to determine how they do this, and we expect all pupils to have been taught LGBT content at a timely point as part of this area of the curriculum.
Seems reasonable don't you think?

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
What's the issue with teaching kids about the variety of different types of relationships that exist in the world?
Nothing for you, same as you probably wouldn't see a problem in teaching kids about sex at a pretty early age.

My daughter is 10 now, and both my missus and me still find it way too early to talk about anything sex-related. Which I'm sure most people in this thread will find ridiculous and old fashioned.

Thing is though, not everyone is as progressive as the people of northern europe and the US.

The irony of it all is that they are supposed to be the most open minded people but they can't seem to get their head around the fact that there's people with different opinions on these issues.

Everyone gets so defensive and militant so quickly, it's fecking ridiculous.

Last edited:

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Nothing for you, same as you probably wouldn't see a problem in teaching kids about sex at pretty early age.

My daughter is 10 now, and both my missus and me still find it way too early to talk about anything sex-related. Which I'm sure most people in this thread will find ridiculous and old fashioned.

Thing is though, not everyone is as progressive as the people of northern europe and the US.

The irony of it all is that they are supposed to be the most open minded people but they can't seem to get their head around the fact that there's people with different opinions on these issues.

Telling your daughter a man and a man or a woman and a woman can be together is nothing to do with sex.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Nothing for you, same as you probably wouldn't see a problem in teaching kids about sex at pretty early age.

The thing is though, denying kids this knowledge only leads to problems with understanding it down the line which can end up with them thinking that different is weird or wrong.

Surely it's better to make children aware of the different types of people they share the world with, and doing this from a young age leaves less opportunity for anything to the contrary to be seeded in their minds?

As for the "you're meant to be open minded" angle, that's all well and good but that doesn't mean 'progressives' have to be accepting of homophobic viewpoints (not pointing any fingers at you there) or otherwise they're not actually open minded, that's just silly.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Nothing for you, same as you probably wouldn't see a problem in teaching kids about sex at a pretty early age.

Has your daughter pointed out or mentioned the existence of non-heterosexual couples to you, in real life or on the TV?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Telling your daughter a man and a man or a woman and a woman can be together is nothing to do with sex.
There’s a teacher I think in this thread suggesting kids should be taught where babies come from or how they’re made in year 5 or 6 (I disagree with that) I think that obviously has to talk about sex, unless they mean tell them the stalk story. So I can see where people are getting confuse with the age appropriate thing.

Tarrou

It does sound reasonable indeed, but it's a bit vague as 'age appropriate' differs from person to person and is completely subjective for the person teaching it.
I thought the same. It's hard to have a proper discussion without it being more clearly defined.

But I don't see a problem in telling kids about same sex couples at a young age, myself. Sex education I agree should be a bit older.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
There’s a teacher I think in this thread suggesting kids should be taught where babies come from or how they’re made in year 5 or 6 (I disagree with that) I think that obviously has to talk about sex, unless they mean tell them the stalk story. So I can see where people are getting confuse with the age appropriate thing.
Year 5 and 6 is 10 and 11 in the UK. Kids are talking about sex long before then. I remember being on a field aged 8 or so and we were trying to decipher what an orgasm was.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Year 5 and 6 is 10 and 11 in the UK. Kids are talking about sex long before then. I remember being on a field aged 8 or so and we were trying to decipher what an orgasm was.
Fair enough, my kids 9 and in year 5.
I don’t see the harm in waiting till comp personally

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
As long as a kid doesn't have parents with extremely hateful views on these topics they will know that there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Just like my daughter knows this without anyone having to tell her.

(Most) kids are good by nature, don't confuse them with adults.

But yeah, I guess there is nothing wrong with teaching them that in school. So I guess I'm fine if it's just that.

2 man midfield

Yeah clearly I think Swansea is a better and more prestigious football club than Real Madrid. Or maybe it was a joke. You can join people who use the phrase virtue signalling in the moron pile mate.
Was the rest of your post a joke too?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea

I don’t find it ridiculous, even if I disagree with it. What I do find ridiculous is the idea of hiding non-heterosexual relationships from her. If she’s watching a soap with you and there’s a heterosexual couple, would that be acceptable? And a non-heterosexual couple? There’s nothing wrong with kids being made aware of the fact that there are non-heterosexual people in the world. It’s desperately required and one way to combat the overwhelming amount of ignorance that is bandied about the topic.

You complain about everyone getting defensive and militant on some football forum, and while that must be very hard deal with and my heart goes out to you, does it compare to people who are physically and verbally abused for their sexual orientation? Or in some countries jail and death?

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
Has your daughter pointed out or mentioned the existence of non-heterosexual couples to you, in real life or on the TV?
That would be a weird thing to point out, no? Just like it would be weird to just point out a heterosexual couple.

So I'm not sure where you are going with this, mate.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Was the rest of your post a joke too?
As I didn’t copy and paste my post from a Mr Men book so that’s why it’s gibberish to yoyou mate ;)

Do yo honestly think the problematic views in the thread are the ones ‘virtue signalling’?

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff

If you don't speak to your daughter about sex you should at least tell her about menstruation, as the age of menarche is getting earlier and earlier. The average age is about 12, but there's a "normal" range of between the ages of 10 to 16. My mother was embarrassed about it all - I was given a booklet she must have had for 20 years, which told me next to nothing. Don't let your daughter face it without any preparation, it's scary.

Once you've had the talk about menstruation, the talk about human reproduction kind of leads on from that!

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
I don’t find it ridiculous, even if I disagree with it. What I do find ridiculous is the idea of hiding non-heterosexual relationships from her. If she’s watching a soap with you and there’s a heterosexual couple, would that be acceptable? And a non-heterosexual couple? There’s nothing wrong with kids being made aware of the fact that there are non-heterosexual people in the world. It’s desperately required and one way to combat the overwhelming amount of ignorance that is bandied about the topic.
:lol: ffs, of course it would be ok. See, that's exactly what I mean, some of you can't make a distinction between someone with conservative views on a particular topic and a raging homophobe.

Tarring everyone with the same brush isn't helping anyone, nor the actual discussion itself. This way you are pushing people further away, I know it's a cliche but it's true.

You complain about everyone getting defensive and militant on some football forum, and while that must be very hard deal with and my heart goes out to you
Yeah.. exactly my point. These types of threads are always full of condescending posts like these. They honestly don't help anyone. Not trying to be a dick either.

2 man midfield

As I didn’t copy and paste my post from a Mr Men book so that’s why it’s gibberish to yoyou mate ;)

Do yo honestly think the problematic views in the thread are the ones ‘virtue signalling’?
I can see both sides, even though my opinion itself is not sat on the fence. I don’t see anything inherently wrong with making children aware that other relationships exist at a young age, nor do I see anything wrong with letting young kids know that it’s ok to want to wear a dress or do things outside the norms of your biological sex. Those things at a basic level can only do good, and I’ll bet there’s a lot of people reaching adulthood now who wish they’d had access to that sort of reassurance when they were starting out. I certainly wouldn’t align myself with the people who say “what next? Teaching them how to finger properly?”. There’s no actual sex education going on for kids younger than about 10 as far as I’m aware, and I don’t think there’s going to be anytime soon, and as long as it’s kept that way I don’t really see an issue.

However, I definitely see a certain amount of virtue signalling going on too. And no, I don’t think you’re automatically in bed with Ben Shapiro if you use that term, but you can hold your opinion and espouse it without shitting on the guy who came before. For some reason if you aren’t as progressive as the next guy then you’re labelled a dinosaur, or someone who doesn’t know how to raise their kids properly. I mean, does it really need to be that polarised? Surely there are some shades of grey. But no, apparently everyone who isn’t up to their speed is a degenerate 1950s throwback, cursing the gays whilst raising the next congregation of the Westborough Baptist Church.

Sweet Square

@Vato

Holy shit, this thread is like the virtue signaling olympics.
And then you complained that

These types of threads are always full of condescending posts like these. They honestly don't help anyone. Not trying to be a dick either.
Maybe you should follow your own advice ?

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
If you don't speak to your daughter about sex you should at least tell her about menstruation, as the age of menarche is getting earlier and earlier. The average age is about 12, but there's a "normal" range of between the ages of 10 to 16. My mother was embarrassed about it all - I was given a booklet she must have had for 20 years, which told me next to nothing. Don't let your daughter face it without any preparation, it's scary.

Once you've had the talk about menstruation, the talk about human reproduction kind of leads on from that!
The thought alone makes me shiver tbh. I'm afraid that will be a talk for the missus, which I'm sure she'll be having soon enough.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
:lol: ffs, of course it would be ok. See, that's exactly what I mean, some of you can't make a distinction between someone with conservative views on a particular topic and a raging homophobe.

Tarring everyone with the same brush isn't helping anyone, nor the actual discussion itself. This way you are pushing people further away, I know it's a cliche but it's true.

The irony :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Yeah.. exactly my point. These types of threads are always full of condescending posts like these. They honestly don't help anyone. Not trying to be a dick either.
I think his point is that what's being discussed in the OP of this thread amounts to the same thing. The protests are extending to anger that books that even feature homosexuality (i.e a book about two male penguins raising a chick) are in the schools. Which is different to objecting to sex (i.e the actual mechanics of how it works) being taught.

Yet many of the posters who have jumped in to this thread claiming they're against LGBT content in schools have conflated the two. As indeed you did by immediately responding to a question about one by assuming the poster also wouldn't have a problem with the latter.

Though in regards to finding it too early to talk to your ten year old about anything to do with sex, how much do you suspect your ten year old (and those in her class) already know?

Even back when I was in school kids were discussing sex at a younger age than that, which was before mobile phones granted them and/or others in their class access to explicit material at an earlier age (the average age for getting your first mobile being around ten). Also I would have thought that girls at around that age would be particularly aware of some issues that would be covered in sex-ed, namely the fact that they will soon be getting periods (which start as early as 10). I'm genuinely not sure what avoiding a talk on the issue at ten years old is actually protecting them from?