LGBT Relationship Lessons in UK Schools

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
He's not wrong though.

What do you think that whole EU thing with wanting near straight bananas was all about eh? I mean if you really THINK about it. And dont get me started on them standardising the size of sausages.

Another reason why we need to just get Brexit done!!

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
He's not wrong though.

What do you think that whole EU thing with wanting near straight bananas was all about eh? I mean if you really THINK about it. And dont get me started on them standardising the size of sausages.

Another reason why we need to just get Brexit done!!
Next step is forbid heteresexuality and homosexuality and just put bananas and sausages up your arse to decrease population by 2040. I am all aboard, straight or curved bananas. Just because I am brainwashed not because i like it :nervous::nervous:

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Next step is forbid heteresexuality and homosexuality and just put bananas and sausages up your arse to decrease population by 2040. I am all aboard, straight or curved bananas. Just because I am brainwashed not because i like it :nervous::nervous:
But then you will be loved less?

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
But then you will be loved less?
Depends if the ones that loves me are bananaphobic or sausagephobic. If they don't care, how it should be, they would not love me less

Carolina Red

Staff
Fixing a your to you're has become an internet meme. I find it pretty silly given we write short form all the time online. Even the reply was with a small letter y. I always cringe a little when I see the your corrected to you're
I cringed a little when I read his posts, so I guess we’re even.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Fixing a your to you're has become an internet meme. I find it pretty silly given we write short form all the time online. Even the reply was with a small letter y. I always cringe a little when I see the your corrected to you're
I cringe when I see people get it wrong to be honest.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Making a meme is certainly a lot easier than improving your grammar. Shrewd move by the internet idiots.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
It's not really controversial to believe that we're all indoctrinated to an extent, as it must be incredibly difficult for teachers to remain constantly objective (leaving aside what and how they're obliged to teach). Besides, a certain uniformity amongst citizens is necessary for a society to function and for representatives of all moral or immoral kinds to govern; so far, so bleedin' obvious...

Where we all might differ, in our views on this matter, is how benign or otherwise these progressive moves by politicians are at heart. For example, my own slant on SiRed's opinion is this: I've little faith in even modern politicians' suddenly transforming the repressive habits of centuries and sharply becoming enlightened - I believe that their championing of such progressive changes is essentially money-driven* and is a reluctant acceptance of voters' enlightened opinions. The more controlling politicians and Parties fear obsolescence, and so are obliged to change with the coming times.

*As an example: centuries of persecution of homosexuals segues into a rush to grab the 'pink pound'.
Great post.

Fingeredmouse

I've noticed this thread a few times and stayed away from as I had rather suspected it would be an absolute shitstorm.

I was wrong. It's a diarrhea monsoon.

What in actual feck is wrong with demonstrating to children that not all relationships are heterosexual? It's not a fecking GCSE in enforced buggery.
I can't see any reason whatsoever to object to this other than, fundamentally, you believe homosexuality is wrong or perverse or you believe that children should be cossetted from being educated about the reality of society.

As for religious reasons: any society that puts religious freedom above equality and education is on the slippery slope to theocracy. People can believe whatever they want to but they must not be allowed to dictate educational curriculum on that basis. Any school teaching that, due to their god or gods or equivalent, that LGBT people are lesser or even simply pretending that they don't exist is betraying their duty to educate, damaging the children and society and in a state of moral bankruptcy.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
It's not cool. Not if you understand the big picture. If you only take things in and of themselves, then you are completely missing the objective. There IS a big picture. A school is not and should not replace the parents. If a parent/s agree fine - but most would have some common sense and say..I just don't think its acceptable. These are all stepping stones towards a bigger picture.

There are two biological genders. It's not an opinion but this is a psy op if there ever was one.

Last edited:

Fingeredmouse

It's not cool. Not if you understand the big picture. If you only take things in and of themselves, then you are completely missing the objective. There IS a big picture. A school is not and should not replace the parents. If a parent/s agree fine - but most would have some common sense and say..I just don't think its acceptable. These are all stepping stones towards a bigger picture.

There are two biological genders. It's not an opinion but this is a psy op if there ever was one.
It is most cool.

Common sense? A totally meaningless expression.

Is it common sense that leads you to the conclusion this is a "psy op"? Stepping stones towards what bigger picture? A society that consists of people who consider a relationship between two people equally valid irrespective of the individual's gender? Those shadowy manipulators are at it again.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

What's the big picture then, oh wise one?

nickm

Schools should teach knowledge, understanding and tolerance shouldn't they? Isn't that how you civilise the little feckers?

nickm

It is most cool.

Common sense? A totally meaningless expression.

Is it common sense that leads you to the conclusion this is a "psy op"? Stepping stones towards what bigger picture? A society that consists of people who consider a relationship between two people equally valid irrespective of the individual's gender? Those shadowy manipulators are at it again.
Individuals living their lives as they see fit. Why does this make some people so angry? You don't have to like it, you just have be tolerant.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

There are two biological genders. It's not an opinion but this is a pst op if there ever was one.
Wrong on a variety of levels.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
@Tarrou
It took me some time, but here's a more detailed reply on the issues discussed before. There's no obligation to answer, just ignore this post if you prefer that. It works just as well as a general contribution to this thread.

Talking point was an example of more or less liberal parents hoping for their child to turn out heterosexual for its own good. To me the bottom line is this: wider society treats homosexual people as undesirables, and these hypothetical parents regard homosexuality as a somewhat unwanted trait in their child as well. The subjective reasons may differ, but the objective consequence is the same. Regardless of intentions and self-image, that stance is fundamentally in line with the homophobia of one's environment, and reinforces outside pressure on one's child instead of protecting it against it.

Below are my views on various issues that were part of the same discussion. I spoilered them for better readability.

What I mean with "homophobia":
There's a misconception that describing something as homophobic means to automatically denounce the criticized person as a textbook homophobe, a raging gay hater, or suchlike. But hostility and discrimination against LGBT people is a matter of culture, which is always more than just a matter of individual attitudes.

People may take part in this culture out of very different personal motives; And in some cases the reason might not involve a primary resentment against LGBT people, but rather carelessness, ignorance, or conformism. (Which should not hide the fact that pathological aggression and violence exists plenty.)

All of this has often been spelled out for racism and misogyny in Caf discussions, and it's true here as well.

That said, I do believe a deep-seated fear and mistrust of "deviant" sexual activities and identities lies at the heart of this cultural phenomenon. I think the majority of those who actively contribute to it will share this perception of a threat to some degree. Some of what's been written in this thread is a good illustration.

On the implicit notion that the preference of a heterosexual child is harmless, and can be easily replaced by acceptance in case the child turns out differently:
Humans often develop/discover/accept/declare their adult sexual preferences in their teens, or even as late as adulthood. That means we may talk of a solid 15-20 years or more of parents preferring a heterosexual child before their hope is ultimately disappointed.

I think it's very unlikely that this attitude of the parents towards their child remains undetected in the close vicinity of a family. And I'm sure this awareness of one's parents attitude towards oneself will usually be disastrous for a gay child. It will also be an influencing factor on heterosexual children in their attitudes towards sexuality conflicting with cultural norms.

On parents declaring they only want the best for their children:
Parents usually think of them as acting "in the best of interest of our child". Of course prohibiting something can well be in a child's wider interest. But at the same time, all kinds of repressive and abusive treatments of children are given the same (self-)justification. It's simply the go-to self-image for any kind of parenting.

So in the end, declared intention means little; it's a matter of assessing what objectively happens between parents and their children. And I can't imagine a situation where treating the sexuality of a child as undesirable can ever be in the child's interest.

On the Saudi Arabia example:
The Saudi Arabia example was supposed to provide a counter-argument to the standpoint that the explicit wish for a heterosexual child is essentially anti-gay. It was supposed to paint an example of liberal and non-prejudiced parents forced into the wish not to have a gay child by their environment.

I don't think that argument works for a number of reasons:

1. This thread is about the situation in the UK. A hypothetical family in Saudi Arabia is no convincing argument for judging a certain stance in the very different social environment of the UK (or similar places).

2. I'd be surprised if the percentage of closet liberals among those Saudis who don't want a gay child is more than miniscule. It seems like a far-fetched example.

3. Even if one accepts the possibility of a situation where the distress over universal homophobia justifies the wish not to have a gay child, what I wrote further up still applies: No matter the subjective intentions, these parents objectively reinforce the exclusion by the surrounding culture, and convey the pressure onto their children.

I also still think the Alabama example provides a good analogy to the Saudi Arabia example.