LGBT Relationship Lessons in UK Schools

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Of course you can. There are people who are clearly gay and clearly hetro, but there are some people who fall in between and are confused for a long time and there are also bisexuals. Not everyone comes out the womb one or the other. That isn't scientifically proven.
Nobody decides on their sexuality, they just discover it or realise it after a while. You can't trick/confuse/indoctrinate someone into being gay or straight, you can only force someone to hide their true identity by forcing your own prejudices on them.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I just think this goes to prove how much of a cultural divide there is and how people in the West think their values are perfect and need to be imposed on all other cultures. Any opinion different to yours on how to raise kids is a 'wind up'. Quite frankly I find that there is a hint of bigotry behind such a stance and a refusal to understand where other peoples values come from.

Only white western values are worth teaching in schools, everything else is worthless and from neanderthal cultures.
You're gonna be percieced as a bigot and homophobe for any different opinion. People have long forgotten how to accept an opinion differing theirs.

As long as I believe gay people have the right to do what they want all my other opinions should be respected too.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
I just think this goes to prove how much of a cultural divide there is and how people in the West think their values are perfect and need to be imposed on all other cultures. Any opinion different to yours on how to raise kids is a 'wind up'. Quite frankly I find that there is a hint of bigotry behind such a stance and a refusal to understand where other peoples values come from.

Only white western values are worth teaching in schools, everything else is worthless and from neanderthal cultures.
Is there evidence from 'non western, non white' cultures that people can be brainwashed into a particular sexual preference?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
You're gonna be percieced as a bigot and homophobe for any different opinion. People have long forgotten how to accept an opinion differing theirs.

As long as I believe gay people have the right to do what they want all my other opinions should be respected too.
No they shouldn't.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Worth re-iterating, we're talking about kids reading a book in which two male penguins raise a baby penguin. Not exactly the Ludovico technique.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
I think you're into murky waters with language such as "prevent".
Extremely murky waters. I know we're all just shooting the sh*t here but the idea that the state should have such power is absolutely crazy.

But yeah, let's just say I'm all for letting a child reach the age of reason before they have to weigh up whether or not they think a bearded man made the world in 7 days, instead of just telling them it's a fact and that they're going to hell if they think otherwise.
Each to their own on the 'age of reason' point I suppose.

I don't want to stray too far from the topic of the thread so early on, nevertheless there's a couple of things I'd like to highlight - i) you're depicting religion generally as some form of evangelical bible-thumping protestantism, and ii) you seem to be creating a false dichotomy between reason and faith/belief in God.

Last edited:

Eyepopper

He has a point but of course not trendy to say
The point being that exposure to, increases likelihood of repetition of.

What percentage of kids raised by same sex couples are gay? I don't know, but based on this logic we're surely looking at an above average percentage right?

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
If she ends up lesbian as a result of becoming confused by being bombarded by these messages before she was old enough to discover her own sexual preferences - I think that is a shame quite frankly. Likewise if she was secretly a lesbian but because I brainwash her that all homosexuality is wrong and she stays in the closet out of fear all her life.
See this is why we can't leave it up to the parents.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I know you get attacked for this opinion but you can. Being gay or straight is a spectrum really.

I think there are a lot of us in this thread who are silent because and opinion contrary to what is popular nowadays is deemed homophobic. It's a little dumb imo.
Don't be utterly ridiculous. If sexuality is on a spectrum and you act on where you are on that specrum how is that anyone being confused into something?

Everyone has to exolore their way into their sexuality but this only seems a problem when men worry that other men may try sex with a man when not exclusively gay. So what? Try it, don't like it, then don't do it again. Try it and like it even occasionally then so what? Why do you care what others do?

Julian Carey had heterosexual sex in his youth but you don't see people making a fuss so it does suggest homophobia is underneath such opinions.

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
If she ends up lesbian as a result of becoming confused by being bombarded by these messages before she was old enough to discover her own sexual preferences - I think that is a shame quite frankly. Likewise if she was secretly a lesbian but because I brainwash her that all homosexuality is wrong and she stays in the closet out of fear all her life.

I think messing with kids and telling them you can cross dress, you can have sex with people of the same gender etc before they have had the chance to naturally develop their sexual preference and orientation is wrong.

If I eventually end up with a kid whose homosexual so be it but I’d rather they did so naturally rather than being brainwashed from a young age.
Huh?

Telling kids that a range of sexualities is normal (not that it is compulsory) is the same as brainwashing a gay kid to deny their sexuality? You really haven't though this through.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
:lol: This is one of the dumbest posts I ever read. You clearly have no idea how it works.
So girls don’t go through lesbian phases because it’s trendy or they’ve seen a celeb do it?

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
So girls don’t go through lesbian phases because it’s trendy or they’ve seen a celeb do it?
I'm going to go with no, because the example you gave is so ludicrous, but I'll humour you and say that if they existed, those girls would be known as bisexual. Please show me an example of a straight woman who went through a lesbian phase that she enjoyed but isn't into women in any way?

Also you cannot have a 'lesbian phase'. This is where you're showing no understanding on the subject. You are a lesbian if you are a woman who is sexually attracted to a woman and not a man. If you are not, then you are not a lesbian. If a straight woman gets drunk and sleeps with another woman, she isn't a lesbian. This is a really simple concept. If a kid goes through what you call a lesbian phase but what anyone normal would classify as experimenting with her sexuality to find out what she actually enjoyed, and then decided it wasn't for them and went back to men, then no they would not be a lesbian, or have gone through a lesbian phase.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I'm going to go with no, because the example you gave is so ludicrous, but I'll humour you and say that if they existed, those girls would be known as bisexual. Please show me an example of a straight woman who went through a lesbian phase that she enjoyed but isn't into women in any way?
So every girl whose dabbled in some lesbian action is a lifelong bisexual? Pull the other one mate.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
So every girl whose dabbled in some lesbian action is a lifelong bisexual? Pull the other one mate.
You're literally an idiot. Experimenting with your sexuality to find out what you like is not a lesbian. Please educate yourself. You gave me a half thought out example that I explained and now you're jumping to a conclusion based on me answering your own narrow example.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

Also you cannot have a 'lesbian phase'. This is where you're showing no understanding on the subject. You are a lesbian if you are a woman who is sexually attracted to a woman and not a man. If you are not, then you are not a lesbian. If a straight woman gets drunk and sleeps with another woman, she isn't a lesbian. This is a really simple concept. If a kid goes through what you call a lesbian phase but what anyone normal would classify as experimenting with her sexuality to find out what she actually enjoyed, and then decided it wasn't for them and went back to men, then no they would not be a lesbian, or have gone through a lesbian phase.
Maybe she is trying lesbianism like it's a free pack of shampoo.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I've seen kids wearing red noses because trendy celebs were doing it, so maybe he's onto something.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Why do some people think that simply having had a kid makes them an expert on all matters? Any moron can have a child, they absolutely should not be allowed to dictate what that child is taught.

Carolina Red

Staff
Why do some people think that simply having had a kid makes them an expert on all matters? Any moron can have a child, they absolutely should not be allowed to dictate what that child is taught.
I'll pay you to come to my school and explain that to the parents of every student & student-athlete.

Eyepopper

They don't.

I can attest to this from bitter, hopeful experience.

I'll ask you, have you ever felt like sucking a dick because you saw a gay comedian tell a funny joke?