Liga Portuguesa 20/21

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Figured I would make the new thread since no one has done it yet!

Current standings are as follows:

GPWDLFAGDP
7610194+1519
6501156+915
640295+412
731347-310
6312159+610
72321114-39
622278-18
622256-18
7223612-68
714235-27
7214811-37
6132912-36
612347-35
611448-44
6024611-52

Key notes:
- Benfica come into the season with a whopping 100M+ investment in the squad with former coach Jorge Jesus returning. Lots of known names and quality players signed by them and they seem to have found a formidable strike partnership in young Darwin Nunez and Luca Waldshmidt. Benfica have been very good bar a shocking 3-0 defeat to Boavista last week which gave Sporting the chance to leap frog them.

- Defending champions Porto have lost 2 key players Danilo Perreira (PSG) and Alex Telles ( Manchester United) and overall the squad is in a pretty poor state. This has culminated to a very poor start to the season.

- Sporting have started the season surprisingly well after being humiliated by LASK Linz in the Europa League qualifiers. They sit a top of the Liga Not table with a 6-1-0 record and the best attack and defense in the league. The squad saw a massive overhaul after young coach Ruben Amorim took over with a majority of the team being composed of players from Sporting's famed academy along with current breakout star 22 year old Pedro Goncalves who was signed by Famalicao. The young midfielder is the current top goal scorer in the league

- Braga have made some great additions to there squad with one big name Nico Gaitan (Forum should know him well). Unluckily lost the opening 2 games of the season but have since gone on a great run of form.

PLAYER SCOUT LIST: These are some of the young talented players too look out for in the league which could make a big move soon. ** I am only including players who have seen substantial first team minutes as of when this post was made.

- Nuno Mendes (Sporting)
- Pedro Goncalves (Sporting)
- Daniel Braganca (Sporting)
- Joao Palhinha (Sporting)
- Daniel Nunez (Benfica)
- Luca Waldschmidt (Benfica)
- Everton Cebolinha (Benfica)
- Angel Gomes (Boavista)
- Marcus Edwards (VSC)
- Luiz Diaz (Porto)

PLACEMENTS:
1st place- Champions league (Direct)
2nd place- Champions league (Direct)
3rd place- Champions League (Qualification)
4th place- EL (Direct)
5th place- EL (Qualification)

Last edited:

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
I've been watching some games. Darwin Nunez looking very good, like a middle class Haaland. Sporting surprisingly on top

SportingCP96

Supports
I've been watching some games. Darwin Nunez looking very good, like a middle class Haaland. Sporting surprisingly on top
Nunez with 5 goals and 6 assists has been very good even with the hefty 25M price tag (I like that Haaland comparison albeit the Payless version). Luca as well seems a promising German striker.

Shock of the league is certainly Sporting being on top. There only lost points this season was a 2-2 draw to Porto which they tied in the 88th minute so it can be seen as points gained.

With no Europe this season you have to wonder if they can possibly do the impossible (I doubt it).

With the top 3 teams this season getting CL a potentially 2nd place position would give us direct entry into the CL which would be a massive boost to the squad.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Pote (looked pretty decent at Famalicão as well) and Darwin, me likey...

SportingCP96

Supports
Pote (looked pretty decent at Famalicão as well) and Darwin, me likey...

He did! He was an integral part of that surprise team but he has gone up another level!
5 goals all last season and he’s at 7 already this.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
4-0 win at Vitoria, wow. Didn't expect that one. We were pretty fortunate though as the 3-0 came from a huge mistake at a time where they were looking likely to get the 2-1. Things are looking great for us and I'm actually looking forward to the games, we had a fantastic summer despite not spending a lot of money.

Still clearly lacking a striker and better centrebacks though. Hoping to see Quaresma get minutes ahead of Neto soon. Striker hasn't been a problem because Pote has been scoring at an insane rate and Nuno Santos has helped out too but that won't last forever, Sporar is decent and he's important to the amount of chances we've been creating but I don't trust him in front of goal. I really hope they can get some good deals in January and then I'll start believing we can get CL qualification.

What a cameo from Bragança today btw, the kid needs more minutes.
I don't know what's going on with Ristovski but he has to be an option as Porro's backup.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
That result had been coming for Vitoria, they've always been a bit vulnerable defensively but now they look toothless in attack as well. Teixeira was a big loss for them and Edwards' effectiveness has dropped as a result, I was hoping that he(Edwards) would get a move to one of the big three in the summer but think Vitoria were holding out for too much.

SportingCP96

Supports
That result had been coming for Vitoria, they've always been a bit vulnerable defensively but now they look toothless in attack as well. Teixeira was a big loss for them and Edwards' effectiveness has dropped as a result, I was hoping that he(Edwards) would get a move to one of the big three in the summer but think Vitoria were holding out for too much.
Would of loved for Sporting to sign him personally!

Vitoria wanted an arm and a leg though.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Yea great goal, having a quieter game than last week though.

Ryan Gauld looks decent and seems to be captain. Finally putting it together after his early promise.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
4-0 win at Vitoria, wow. Didn't expect that one. We were pretty fortunate though as the 3-0 came from a huge mistake at a time where they were looking likely to get the 2-1. Things are looking great for us and I'm actually looking forward to the games, we had a fantastic summer despite not spending a lot of money.

Still clearly lacking a striker and better centrebacks though. Hoping to see Quaresma get minutes ahead of Neto soon. Striker hasn't been a problem because Pote has been scoring at an insane rate and Nuno Santos has helped out too but that won't last forever, Sporar is decent and he's important to the amount of chances we've been creating but I don't trust him in front of goal. I really hope they can get some good deals in January and then I'll start believing we can get CL qualification.

What a cameo from Bragança today btw, the kid needs more minutes.
I don't know what's going on with Ristovski but he has to be an option as Porro's backup.
Am I right in saying Sporar translates as "spunker" and Porro "dick"? Also, big fan of Everton the Little Onion at Benfica of course. :lol:

SportingCP96

Supports
Am I right in saying Sporar translates as "spunker" and Porro "dick"? Also, big fan of Everton the Little Onion at Benfica of course. :lol:
Sporar translates in Portuguese to “cum” and or “ejaculation”

So when he scores Sporting fans in the Sporting fórum usually say “Sporar has came” which is actually hilarious !

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Sporar translates in Portuguese to “cum” and or “ejaculation”

So when he scores Sporting fans in the Sporting fórum usually say “Sporar has came” which is actually hilarious !
:lol: excellent, glad it's not just me then :D

SportingCP96

Supports
Benfica were down 0-3 and brought it back to 2-3 but Braga hold on for a HUGE win.

Back to back losses for Benfica and back to back league win at the Luz for Braga.

Sporting now (Shockingly) lead the league with 19 points 4 more then second place Braga and third place Benfica.

Porto won today and they now move within 6 of Sporting and 2 of Benfica and Braga.

Looks as though we might have a very competitive league on our hands.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Benfica were down 0-3 and brought it back to 2-3 but Braga hold on for a HUGE win.

Back to back losses for Benfica and back to back league win at the Luz for Braga.

Sporting now (Shockingly) lead the league with 19 points 4 more then second place Braga and third place Benfica.

Porto won today and they now move within 6 of Sporting and 2 of Benfica and Braga.

Looks as though we might have a very competitive league on our hands.
:drool:

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Jorge Jesus is an excellent manager, but very stubborn. He is very dogmatic and the squad doesn't have enough athletic attributes to play his high press high pace style. It's taking a toll on results.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Watch out for this Braga team... only 6 points lost so far and they've already played away at Porto and Benfica. They have a very good squad and Carvalhal is a good manager, the 3 points they lost at home to Santa Clara was a freak game too that they should have comfortably won. We now have a 4 point lead at the top but a run of bad games could easily put us in 4th place very fast.

Benfica were meant to walk the league after spending a load of money and this season was meant to be pretty boring but they're showing they have their problems too. If they get their shit together they will still win it easily imo given the quality of their forwards but as long as they don't it's going to be a very exciting season.

SportingCP96

Supports
Watch out for this Braga team... only 6 points lost so far and they've already played away at Porto and Benfica. They have a very good squad and Carvalhal is a good manager, the 3 points they lost at home to Santa Clara was a freak game too that they should have comfortably won. We now have a 4 point lead at the top but a run of bad games could easily put us in 4th place very fast.

Benfica were meant to walk the league after spending a load of money and this season was meant to be pretty boring but they're showing they have their problems too. If they get their shit together they will still win it easily imo given the quality of their forwards but as long as they don't it's going to be a very exciting season.
Not just Santa Clara, They were really unlucky to lose that Porto game as well in my opinion. They will fancy there chances this season for sure.

The fact Sporting is not in Europe can really benefit them. They just have to keep the pressure by winning these games and hope the other guys keep stumbling so that they build a cushion at the top for when things do go south.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Carvalhal is a manager I admire, always makes good works everywhere they go, probably with Sheffield Wednesday not being promoted being the thorn on his works, but playoffs are a big lottery.

His only chance at a big club was at Sporting on that tumultous season where Paulo Bento was sacked and the squad basically rebelled. If things pan out well in this BRaga spell, he will go for top flights.

SportingCP96

Supports
This league is disgusting to watch. Its such a fecking corrupt league that it takes the fun away from watching these games.

Every fecking year is the same god dam shit. They only want 2 teams in this league that's IT!

The way Sporting were just blatantly robbed has legit made me sick to my fecking stomach.

They would never have cancelled out the goal Sporting scored today if Porto or Benfica scored it.

I envy you lot who get to have the EPL as your league.

The Portuguese league is absolutely unwatchable.

It does not matter if we are the best team in the world or the worse they won't let us win the Title.

Feck the Portuguese league, Feck the FPF, Feck Benfica, and Feck Porto.

Im fecking sick to my stomach.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Same old shite

Only two teams are allowed to win the league in this country

Worst part is that literally every single Sporting fan on the planet knew this would happen

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Same old shite

Only two teams are allowed to win the league in this country

Worst part is that literally every single Sporting fan on the planet knew this would happen
Got a video of what you are talking about?

SportingCP96

Supports
This league is the biggest pile of shit in all of Europe.

The best thing that could happen in Portugal would be Benfica and Porto's stadiums burning to shit and the clubs seizing to exist.

They run the whole league.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
its a bit soft.
Ref goes up to the VAR screen, took 5 seconds to call it off. For other teams that would never in a million years happen.

Also, feck Famalicão. You wouldn't see this shit in Sunday league, what a disgrace of a performance. The behaviour from the goalkeeper down to the coach was disgusting. We barely made two passes in a row without a foul all game and we were the only ones to get a player sent off... for kicking a ball

Last week, last second of Maritimo 1-2 Benfica... Maritimo has a player completely alone at the edge of the box ready to equalize, ref calls a handball for no reason at all. This week this crap, a couple weeks ago Porto had that disgrace of a match in Paços.

Literally every single year where we start the league well this happens. Every single year. I have friends that support Porto and Benfica who feel embarassed after that ffs, they don't even celebrate anymore

SportingCP96

Supports
Meh, his arm does catch the goalkeepers, but it's soft. Goalkeeper are way too protected considering they come charging out like bulls with no fecks given for anyone around them.

It's not the biggest injustice ever if we are honest.
Hes outside of the goal keepers box.

When that happens the goal keeper is treated like an outfield player.

If that was a CB would you consider that a "foul"?

Never.

This league and two clubs who run it are the definition of the word cancer.

SportingCP96

Supports
its a bit soft.
Even that is an understatement. Goals like that and games like these are the ones who decide championships.

I am sick to my stomach with this bs.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Even that is an understatement. Goals like that and games like these are the ones who decide championships.

I am sick to my stomach with this bs.
The problem I have with it, is if that same contact happens to a defender, and he heads the ball into his own net, its never cancelled in a million years. The goalie is just massively protected sometimes

SportingCP96

Supports
The problem I have with it, is if that same contact happens to a defender, and he heads the ball into his own net, its never cancelled in a million years. The goalie is just massively protected sometimes
Exactly. Additionally if Benfica or Porto score that it would NEVER be cancelled.

I am just over watching games. I truly don't feel going through this all the time. Its exhausting seeing the same thing ever year.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP

Luisão's goal in 2005 that won Benfica the league against us with 5 minutes to go

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica

Luisão's goal in 2005 that won Benfica the league against us with 5 minutes to go
Terrible goalkeeping by Ricardo who mistimed his jump so badly and let Luisão anticipate. At first I thought it was a foul by Luisão on the GK, but after I saw the replays it was just Ricardo being Ricardo on aerial game :D

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Terrible goalkeeping by Ricardo who mistimed his jump so badly and let Luisão anticipate. At first I thought it was a foul by Luisão on the GK, but after I saw the replays it was just Ricardo being Ricardo on aerial game :D
Sometimes I still wake up sweating in the middle of the night thinking about Ricardo coming out for a cross

Will never forgive him for this goal or the Euros final

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Sometimes I still wake up sweating in the middle of the night thinking about Ricardo coming out for a cross

Will never forgive him for this goal or the Euros final
I had similar sweats with Neno, even though I think Ricardo was a bit better: as Ricardo, Neno was a great shot stopper and defending penalties, but every corner and cross was a goal chance for our opponents.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
I had similar sweats with Neno, even though I think Ricardo was a bit better: as Ricardo, Neno was a great shot stopper and defending penalties, but every corner and cross was a goal chance for our opponents.
I generally hate that profile of goalkeeper mostly because of Ricardo causing me PTSD :lol:

Even the likes of Casillas or Lloris who are objectively great, I can’t appreciate them the same way most people do. A tall and safe goalkeeper will always be better than a short one with good reflexes for me

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Supercup game is live on BBC red button tonight.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Supercup game is live on BBC red button tonight.
Both Benfica and Porto are playing poorly, so don't expect a good game.
Jorge Jesus will keep trying to instill the high pressing & high pace signature style, but as some of our players don't fit that style things are not panning out that well.
Sérgio Conceição will play his usual pragmatic, direct and physical style, trying to win the second ball. Porto will switch to a 3 man midfield as usual in big games, with Marega playing between the lines.

Players to watch - Benfica:
Darwin Nuñez: skilled striker with very smart movements, he can be the key on this game.
Everton "Cebolinha": one of the most talented players of Brasilian Serie A, is yet to adapt to european style.

PLayers to watch - Porto:
Marega: Power, pace, agility and strength and determination makes him a very complicated forward to face. He's a bit clumsy but he's very agile for a player with his frame which makes it tough even for strong defenders to stop him.
Otávio: The key player of Porto this season: great vision and skill, but his work rate is a bit sloppy at times.

Weak points for POrto to explore: Benfica has the right back injured and the left back just returned from a long injury, so if Porto manages to make a strategy to explore the fragility on both sides of our defense things might get trickier for Benfica.

Weak points for Benfica to explore: Lack of good right back and lack of danger from width. Porto's only player who offers quality on with is left back Zaidu. All the midfield who intheory are playig on wings, are players who feel more confortable in interior game.