Liga Portuguesa 2022/2023

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I recently visited Northern Portugal again, mainly Porto for work reasons. I wanted to visit Braga's very unique stadium for a long time, and was finally able to do that, paying just 6 Euros for the tour. I've been on the tours at the Bernabeu, Old Trafford, San Siro, Camp Nou, Allianz Arena, Amsterdam Arena, Ewood Park (I had to throw that one in there), the stadiums of each of Portugal's big 3 (the Porto museum is incredibly good) etc., and I'd rank Braga's as one of the very best. The fact that the tour guide was incredibly knowledgeable, friendly and helpful (I asked a lot of questions) also was a big factor.

Plus I really liked the city of Braga itself. It was beautiful and a wonderful combination of 'old and new'. While I adore Porto and consider it to be one of my favourite cities in Europe, Braga was a nice change of pace, especially with so few tourists in the centre in comparison.

So based on that Braga are my favourite Portuguese team, especially with them being the club that has the best chance of beating, breaking up, andunsettling the big 3. I talked with the tour guide about how impressive it was that they compete so well with the big 3 despite earning significantly lower revenues especially from TV rights. They're looking good for a top 3 finish, but maybe they can pip Porto to 2nd place this season as well. One day I really hope they can win the title. Certainly a non-big 3 title winner (Belenenses in the 1940s and Boavista in 2001 are the only historical examples of that) would be great for Portuguese domestic football.

Last edited:

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I recently visited Northern Portugal again, mainly Porto for work reasons. I wanted to visit Braga's very unique stadium for a long time, and was finally able to do that, paying just 6 Euros for the tour. I've been on the tours at the Bernabeu, Old Trafford, San Siro, Camp Nou, Allianz Arena, Amsterdam Arena, Ewood Park (I had to throw that one in there), the stadiums of each of Portugal's big 3 (the Porto museum is incredibly good) etc., and I'd rank Braga's as one of the very best. The fact that the tour guide was incredibly knowledgeable, friendly and helpful (I asked a lot of questions) also was a big factor.

Plus I really liked the city of Braga itself. It was beautiful and a wonderful combination of 'old and new'. While I adore Porto and consider it to be one of my favourite cities in Europe, Braga was a nice change of pace, especially with so few tourists in the centre in comparison.

So based on that Braga are my favourite Portuguese team, especially with them being the club that has the best chance of beating, breaking up, andunsettling the big 3. I talked with the tour guide about how impressive it was that they compete so well with the big 3 despite earning significantly lower revenues especially from TV rights. They're looking good for a top 3 finish, but maybe they can pip Porto to 2nd place this season as well. One day I really hope they can win the title. Certainly a non-big 3 title winner (Belenenses in the 1940s and Boavista in 2001 are the only historical examples of that) would be great for Portuguese domestic football.
I agree it would be great for Portuguese football but you would be surprised to know that their have been more champions of Portugal.

Belenenses are 4x Champions
Boavista 1x
Marítimo 1x
Olhanense 1x
Carcavelinhos 1x

Portugal has this weird thing of only caring about the big 3 and went so far as to only recognize 87 champions in the 100 year anniversary of the league (what happened to the other 13?).

Historical facts such as newspapers and even the FPF (federation of Portuguese football) have stated that the campeonato of Portugal (translation, league of football) was in fact the national title in Portugal up until the new format change we have to today and league rebranding. It was considered as quoted by the FPF “A prova Máxima de Portugal” or in other words the pinnacle of Portuguese football at the time. So much so that this championship was held for 17 years!

Before the rebranding of the league they created the “Liga experimental” which translated to the experimental league. Its purpose ? Well, to experiment A new league format. 8 teams were hand chosen to participate in this experimental league which paved the way for a the rebranding of the Portuguese national league. This experimental league was only active for 3 years. In that same time that league was active the Campeoanto de Portugal was still active and every newspaper at that time declared the winner of that championship as the “national champion of Portugal” in other words they gave zero importance and relevance to the experimental league and rightfully so.

Furthermore there are even news paper articles stating that the new league formed was the 18th season of the national league in Portugal (remember when I said there were 17 editions of the Campeoanto de Portugal ?) so that means historically at the time this was in FACT the highest tier of Portuguese competition.

Now the FPF have tried to erase history and say that that competition was the predecessor of the Taça de Portugal. Which is completely false. Portuguese football at its finest eh?

Marítimo for example still celebrate the anniversary of their league win and articles or that time even state that Marítimo were the national champions of Portugal.

So to end this long winded post, there have been many champions of Portugal.

Belenenses is rightfully the 4th biggest club in the country with 4 league titles and and other clubs who have won the title like Marítimo and Olhanense should be viewed as historical clubs in Portugal.

Actually just one more point,

I fully believe SC Braga will win a league title in the next years. In the last 10 years Braga have positioned themselves in a way where they are clearly the “best of the rest” in Portugal and naturally they will only go up especially with another CL appearance on the way. Those 45M will be huge for the club. They also have done well in creating a good youth academy and have been able to sell their players for good margins.

The Portuguese latter currently looks like this

The Big 3

-Braga

- The rest of the league.

It will be huge for Portuguese football to have 4 competitive clubs.

SportingCP96

Supports
Have not made a post about the league in a while.

Benfica have survive their storm and look a lock to win the title now. A win next weekends away to Portimonense is all but seals the title for the club.

Braga need to perform better in these big games to finally go up a level. They choke when it matters most.

With that being said they have all but secured CL for next season barring an insane sequence of results, so that will make next season very interesting in a competitive standpoint.

Hope all the other posters in this thread are doing well, it’s been a while.

Charlie Foley

Have not made a post about the league in a while.

Benfica have survive their storm and look a lock to win the title now. A win next weekends away to Portimonense is all but seals the title for the club.

Braga need to perform better in these big games to finally go up a level. They choke when it matters most.

With that being said they have all but secured CL for next season barring an insane sequence of results, so that will make next season very interesting in a competitive standpoint.

Hope all the other posters in this thread are doing well, it’s been a while.
Hope you’re doing well mate.

Benfica were very nervy the last few games but managed to get over the line. Missed a shitload of chances this weekend. A draw would have made the derby in a few weeks very interesting…now they should probably have enough of a buffer.
Sporting just lost too much over the summer to compete. Decent Europa league run but was disappointed they didn’t get out of the CL group

SportingCP96

Supports
Hope you’re doing well mate.

Benfica were very nervy the last few games but managed to get over the line. Missed a shitload of chances this weekend. A draw would have made the derby in a few weeks very interesting…now they should probably have enough of a buffer.
Sporting just lost too much over the summer to compete. Decent Europa league run but was disappointed they didn’t get out of the CL group
Ya I think Sporting only have themselves to blame in that regard. The team has obvious quality but lack consistency as well as efficiency in front of goal.

With no Champions league next season it will be interesting to see how this squad shapes up. We are obviously going to have to sell 1 or 2 of our best players.

Furthermore it is imperative that we purchase, 1 striker, 1 CM (possibly 2 if Ugarte leaves), 1 right back, 1 left back.

I expect Benfica to invest heavily and I expect Braga to make some good purchases with the injection of CL money. Porto as well Will be interesting to see what happens with that team.

Ivan Jaime is a guy I hope Sporting are keeping tabs on if we lose Pedro Gonçalves.

SportingCP96

Supports
Pointless game but let’s see what happens.

It’s always good to beat the scum of Portugal so hopefully it happens

Alex_89

Supports
FC Porto
Amorim with some sabotage substitutions.
How to lose control of the game 101.

Charlie Foley

I’m quite surprised Leverkusen got Grimaldo on a free transfer for next season. He is a good player and I’m surprised a bigger club wasn’t in for him. Some good players in that Leverkusen team though.

wow should really be 3-1

Charlie Foley

Great game. Benfica really stepped it up in the second half but very disappointed with how sporting lost control of the game like that.

in these games of two halves, they’re great entertainment but I’d love more of a back and forth throughout the match

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
How good is Ugarte? We've been linked to him. Only 22 and Uruguayan which is one of my favourite football nations.

Can he make similar impact in premier league that Joao Palhinha has?

SportingCP96

Supports
How good is Ugarte? We've been linked to him. Only 22 and Uruguayan which is one of my favourite football nations.

Can he make similar impact in premier league that Joao Palhinha has?
He’s really good, carried the ball better then Palhinha but not as good defensively as him. Although he is very solid defensively.

really good player.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Paulinho coming in disrupted the mobility of the front line and the team became less compact between sectors.

whitbyviking

Good for Benfica to win the title. especially against the odds.

We laugh/complain about Liverpool getting assistance from refs but Porto are the daddies of that, they are never that far away from an alleged scandal involving refs and then you see the game last week where they ended up with 3 pens, technically 4 as a retake was ordered when they missed one :lol: I remember Platini wanting to ban them from UEFA comps over referee corruption, then there was that time Deco threw a boot at the referee and got no punishment as he said he would consider his National team place if punished:lol:

Some of the stats for Porto are a tad unbelievable this season, 7/8 penalties just in the last few games meaning they are the team with the most penalties in the entirety of world football, including leagues suspected of dubious betting practices. Pepe has so few yellow or red cards you’d think he was a saint, and the rest of the defencehas a similarly unlikely low number of cards.

Did anybody see the red card offence today? Was it justified? Seems very early for a red card unless the offence was very egregious.

Plus that offside against Scholes was exceptionally dodgy, likely cost us a CL and will never be forgiven. Basically launched Jose too.

whitbyviking

May be wrong here but wasn’t the Porto chairman convicted of corruption years ago, and basically got away with it by apologising and saying he’d never do it again :lol:

Just been told by a friend who lives in Lisbon that the Porto chairman is nicknamed The Pope, because “he can do everything and perform miracles” :lol:

Last edited:

Charlie Foley

Good for Benfica to win the title. especially against the odds.

We laugh/complain about Liverpool getting assistance from refs but Porto are the daddies of that, they are never that far away from an alleged scandal involving refs and then you see the game last week where they ended up with 3 pens, technically 4 as a retake was ordered when they missed one :lol: I remember Platini wanting to ban them from UEFA comps over referee corruption, then there was that time Deco threw a boot at the referee and got no punishment as he said he would consider his National team place if punished:lol:

Some of the stats for Porto are a tad unbelievable this season, 7/8 penalties just in the last few games meaning they are the team with the most penalties in the entirety of world football, including leagues suspected of dubious betting practices. Pepe has so few yellow or red cards you’d think he was a saint, and the rest of the defencehas a similarly unlikely low number of cards.

Did anybody see the red card offence today? Was it justified? Seems very early for a red card unless the offence was very egregious.

Plus that offside against Scholes was exceptionally dodgy, likely cost us a CL and will never be forgiven. Basically launched Jose too.
In fairness The red card in Porto match was a horrific tackle. The timing of it in the match shouldn’t matter in my opinion.

whitbyviking

In fairness The red card in Porto match was a horrific tackle. The timing of it in the match shouldn’t matter in my opinion.
I didn’t see it, been watching the Benfica match, hence asking. You usually get away with stuff so early, so guessed either the offence or the refereeing was egregious.

SportingCP96

Supports
May be wrong here but wasn’t the Porto chairman convicted of corruption years ago, and basically got away with it by apologising and saying he’d never do it again :lol:

Just been told by a friend who lives in Lisbon that the Porto chairman is nicknamed The Pope, because “he can do everything and perform miracles” :lol:
Porto aren’t the only one in the land line that.

The amount of scandals just within the last 5 years between them and Benfica is enough to write a novel.

Seeing Benfica calling Porto corrupt and vice versa is like the spider man meme of them pointing at each other. Both are equally the same.

Congrats to Benfica though.

whitbyviking

Porto aren’t the only one in the land line that.

The amount of scandals just within the last 5 years between them and Benfica is enough to write a novel.

Seeing Benfica calling Porto corrupt and vice versa is like the spider man meme of them pointing at each other. Both are equally the same.

Congrats to Benfica though.
I've seen the news reports regarding Benfica being investigated for corruption, so I don't dispute what you say.

Sporting been at it too? Seems unlikely they'd compete without doing so? :lol:

SportingCP96

Supports
I've seen the news reports regarding Benfica being investigated for corruption, so I don't dispute what you say.

Sporting been at it too? Seems unlikely they'd compete without doing so? :lol:
Sporting don’t compete so theirs that :lol::lol:

3 league titles in 40 years will answer your question on if they partake in Benfica and Porto’s contínuos festivities.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Now reduced to 29% to comply with UEFA regulations.
The purpose will be the same I guess. Aston Villa actually did a good move, Vitória is a good club for players to develop: they always aim for top 6 and the demanding from fans is always huge, so players learn how to deal with a demanding and pressure environment.