Ligue 1 | French Football 2021/22

Pintu

Says a lot about the strength of the French league.

I genuinely think our bottom tier past managers like Moyes and Ole would win the league with PSG, its that bad over there.
Emery who is definitely a better manager than Olé did lose the league there. And PSG lost it last season with Tuchel and Poch at the wheel. Also better managers than Olé.

bucky

Can only echo what some have said here, atrocious display from PSG.

Kaos

Emery who is definitely a better manager than Olé did lose the league there. And PSG lost it last season with Tuchel and Poch at the wheel. Also better managers than Olé.
Oh I have no doubt that there'll be outliers. But given a few seasons, a manager like Ole could definitely win the league with PSG. Especially considering the squad he'd have at his disposal and the chasm of resources and quality that exists between PSG and the next best French sides.

CraftySoAndSo

He appeared once for pre season with a bit more weight on his ribs, nothing to worry about, as you shed that surplus fat during pre season anyway. I would be happy if Shaw was only carrying a bit more weight in pre season.
If it was only pre season then yeah not too much to worry about, i was worried he was approaching Hazard levels of professionalism.

marktan

Ligue 1 is the league I watch the most highlights of after the PL and Serie A.

It's a pretty fun league to watch to be honest outside of PSG, there's a lot of up and coming teams and the French league is like the factory of emerging talent, there's a lot of interesting players there.

CraftySoAndSo

Ligue 1 is the league I watch the most highlights of after the PL and Serie A.

It's a pretty fun league to watch to be honest outside of PSG, there's a lot of up and coming teams and the French league is like the factory of emerging talent, there's a lot of interesting players there.
I agree, if your barometer on if a league is good or not is by judging their performance in Europe then yes France comes up short. But it's still a very good league to watch especially if watching a game that doesn't involve PSG and yes it's good for watching emerging talent as well. There are some very big teams in France historically so it's a shame it get's taken the piss out of so regularly, but i think a lack of spending power and mismanagement is a problem there.

Kaos

That Monaco RW Martins looks a tidy player. Can supposedly play RB too. Could be a decent squad option.

UTD_Since_1978

Every time I watch PSG they lose. But they’re always like 16 points clear.
I've been watching their results very closely this season (because I'm interested in the top talent they have in their squad, Messi, Neymar, Mbappe etc...) & have noticed they either win games with ease or lose games they should win or (and this last one seems the most popular) they are losing games they should win with about 5 minutes or less to go & then they some how get a goal or two to either draw or win & I'm thinking, why is a team with so much world class talent struggling to win games in a fairly poor league? Then I look at Poch & think, Poch, you are useless, all that talent in your squad & you can barely get a tune out of them, not to mention they went out early in the French cup, which is quite rare for them I think.

I'm sure a true "Statto" would be able to give you the real stats but as far as I can tell & recall, PSG have had about at least 10 league games this season where they have as I mentioned earlier look like losing but manage to either draw or win in the final 5 minutes, mostly thanks to Mbappe hence why he wasn't getting booed the other day whilst Neymar & Messi & others were.

2-0 to Monaco now, nah, definitely do not want Poch next season, no way!

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
That Monaco RW Martins looks a tidy player. Can supposedly play RB too. Could be a decent squad option.
I’d take any of Ben Yeddar, Martins or Tchouaméni to be fair. They’d all improve us.

Afganitia

Supports
Girona
His name isn’t footballery enough for me. He could score 100 goals a season and he’d still sound like someone who should play for Sevilla.
Well he played three seasons there for a reason.

L1nk

Deary me, takes until 15th till you get to a non PSG player

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Neymar 4 millions € per month to miss half Ligue 1 games and get injured in crucial UCL games.
It has to be one of the biggest flops in modern football, top 3 at least.

Lucky PSG has all the money in the world, so they can burn money just like that, and still do fine financially.

Wonder who is PSG gonna sign after kicking Neymar...Ronaldo? Lewandowski? Benzema?

Can see PSG going for an old world class player in his last legs, and of course he isn't gonna do shit in the UCL due to his advanced age, and PSG fans will get mad again...rinse and repeat.

UTD_Since_1978

Deary me, takes until 15th till you get to a non PSG player
Only 2 of the top 23 are non-PSG players & UTD Poch lovers say, "Well, he can't be that bad they are 12 points clear in the league"

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Only 2 of the top 23 are non-PSG players & UTD Poch lovers say, "Well, he can't be that bad they are 12 points clear in the league"
A classic example of when stats tell you a different story than reality. PSG looks dominant in Ligue 1 on the stats, and yet always looked second best for large chunks of most of their games in the league. If it wasn't for Mbappe bailing them out, sometimes with last second goals, this team would be looking over its shoulder by now in the league.

Neymar 4 millions € per month to miss half Ligue 1 games and get injured in crucial UCL games.
It has to be one of the biggest flops in modern football, top 3 at least.

Lucky PSG has all the money in the world, so they can burn money just like that, and still do fine financially.

Wonder who is PSG gonna sign after kicking Neymar...Ronaldo? Lewandowski? Benzema?

Can see PSG going for an old world class player in his last legs, and of course he isn't gonna do shit in the UCL due to his advanced age, and PSG fans will get mad again...rinse and repeat.
If you look at price paid/game, he absolutely is, but the problem I have with calling him a flop is that, outside of this current season, when he has been on the field, he has been more or less brilliant. His statistics are of a world-class player, but this season has thrown a lot of that out of people's memory. He looks unfit, and I think he is now on borrowed time at PSG who, of course, renewed him last summer so will make it near impossible for them to get rid of. Newcastle is now going to be the new PSG where all the dumbest transfer ideas that have no logic to them will be proposed, and I expect we will see some Neymar to Newcastle rumors popping up this summer.

I'm at the point where I am thinking QSI leaving after the Qatar world cup should be the next logical step. I can't imagine they're making a big profit off PSG, which has now become a brand more than a football club, which should sound familiar to some here. The sad thing is that Paris is one of, if not the most fertile place in Europe for football talent, and if you bring in someone who is willing to invest into that, developing that, and not have this absolutely ridiculous goal for any club, in any league that it's CL or bust, and focus on 3 year chunks instead of 'all-or-nothing' seasons, then the sky is the limit.

United in sin

Oh I have no doubt that there'll be outliers. But given a few seasons, a manager like Ole could definitely win the league with PSG. Especially considering the squad he'd have at his disposal and the chasm of resources and quality that exists between PSG and the next best French sides.
The players would see right through Solskjaer and he wouldn't last more than 5 games, same as De Boer at Palace

Bole Top

Neymar and Mbappe both with 3 goals tonight. Messi with 3 assists.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Mbappe has been ridiculous this season, 5 goals and 4 assists his last two games. He's got the most goal involvement right now for the season out of anybody in Europe at 52 g/a in 38 games. Benzema and Lewandowski right behind at 50 g/a.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Mbappe has been ridiculous this season, 5 goals and 4 assists his last two games. He's got the most goal involvement right now for the season out of anybody in Europe at 52 g/a in 38 games. Benzema and Lewandowski right behind at 50 g/a.
The other twos stats hold more weight as they are against more competitive competition.

I think that’s why Mbappe really needs to leave, no one gets excited about 3 goals vs the mighty Clermont foot. He needs to play against better comp.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
The other twos stats hold more weight as they are against more competitive competition.

I think that’s why Mbappe really needs to leave, no one gets excited about 3 goals vs the mighty Clermont foot. He needs to play against better comp.
Check out the Benzema vs Lewandowski thread, people will discount anything all the way up until they get to the PL because this is what fans do in general (not all). I couldn't care less, because Mbappe does it anywhere he plays besides the Euro in his career. It's an irrelevant point to me in assessing just how great he's been, especially if you see how dysfunctional that PSG team has been throughout the season.

SportingCP96

Supports
Check out the Benzema vs Lewandowski thread, people will discount anything all the way up until they get to the PL because this is what PL fans do in general (not all). I couldn't care less, because Mbappe does it anywhere he plays besides the Euro in his career. It's an irrelevant point to me in assessing just how great he's been, especially if you see how dysfunctional that PSG team has been throughout the season.
I don’t mean the EPL but in this case this point I think is valid when considering who the best player in the world has been for example.

Lewa and Benzemas numbers hold significantly more weight then what Mbappe is doing against Clermont foot or FC Metz.

If he wants to get more consideration and recognition he needs to go to a big club and then perform against Better opposition.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I don’t mean the EPL but in this case this point I think is valid when considering who the best player in the world has been for example.

Lewa and Benzemas numbers hold significantly more weight then what Mbappe is doing against Clermont foot or FC Metz.

If he wants to get more consideration and recognition he needs to go to a big club and then perform against Better opposition.
They actually don't, not even a little bit when it comes to things of relevance like awards, Ligue 1 is not Austria or Holland, and it's a harder league to score in than the Bundesliga for what it's worth.

Mbappe has been regularly talked about as possibly being the best player in the world now, he's regularly in the top of the individual awards and this season again. Wherever he moves, he will dominate, anybody who still doubts that about him at this point, I'm not really trying to hear their opinion. He's more than proven 5 years on and it's plain for anybody to see, whether it's Ligue 1, CL, International football. Do you really think Mbappe wouldn't wreck the Bundesliga if he was there with all those open spaces on the counter? Or with an average Real Madrid leading by double-digits in that Liga? Be serious...

This just reeks of 'can't do it on a cold night in stoke' and that just doesn't apply to players of that caliber, but we can all have our opinions. Regardless, I'm certain Mbappe will move on within a year or so, it won't be a question in your mind then and we'll all be able to rest easy.

SportingCP96

Supports
They actually don't, not even a little bit when it comes to things of relevance like awards, Ligue 1 is not Austria or Holland, and it's a harder league to score in than the Bundesliga for what it's worth.

Mbappe has been regularly talked about as possibly being the best player in the world now, he's regularly in the top of the individual awards and this season again. Wherever he moves, he will dominate, anybody who still doubts that about him at this point, I'm not really trying to hear their opinion. He's more than proven 5 years on and it's plain for anybody to see, whether it's Ligue 1, CL, International football. Do you really think Mbappe wouldn't wreck the Bundesliga if he was there with all those open spaces on the counter? Or with an average Real Madrid leading by double-digits in that Liga? Be serious...

This just reeks of 'can't do it on a cold night in stoke' and that just doesn't apply to players of that caliber, but we can all have our opinions. Regardless, I'm certain Mbappe will move on within a year or so, it won't be a question in your mind then and we'll all be able to rest easy.
Once again your getting what I am saying confused.

Mbappe Is 100% a super star talent. He is very very very good. I don’t doubt that he will perform at a higher level.

What I am saying is when he he Balon D or award comes along the fact that he is playing against garbage compared to his level every week compared to what the other two are playing against this will be held against him.

Do you think Mbappe is in the run in for Balon D or? He will be easily sitting behind the other two in the voting and this is because of the club and league he plays in

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Really like the look of Kalimuendo at Lens. Think he's on loan from PSG, but think he could be someone who could be a good pickup for someone if PSG don't have space for him.

CraftySoAndSo

Really like the look of Kalimuendo at Lens. Think he's on loan from PSG, but think he could be someone who could be a good pickup for someone if PSG don't have space for him.
Swear i read about him in one of Molina's leaks. Saying he was on loan there last season with a buy option but did well so PSG cut the loan at the end of the season before they could activate the buy option. They thought they could get a higher price from someone else but no one came in so they sent him back to Lens this season as well, think it was something like that but my memory's sketchy.

But surely PSG need to start integrating their young players into the first team squad, they'll have a better attitude for starters. They've produced some really good players over the last 10 years that they've let go including players like Nkunku.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Swear i read about him in one of Molina's leaks. Saying he was on loan there last season with a buy option but did well so PSG cut the loan at the end of the season before they could activate the buy option. They thought they could get a higher price from someone else but no one came in so they sent him back to Lens this season as well, think it was something like that but my memory's sketchy.

But surely PSG need to start integrating their young players into the first team squad, they'll have a better attitude for starters. They've produced some really good players over the last 10 years that they've let go including players like Nkunku.
I'll have to look that up, I'd not heard about that.

Yeah, Diaby is another one. Maybe Poch can start doing that next season, but I'm yet to really see him do that at PSG.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'll have to look that up, I'd not heard about that.

Yeah, Diaby is another one. Maybe Poch can start doing that next season, but I'm yet to really see him do that at PSG.
They sold these players due to FFP.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain

You're saying what every PSG fans want for a long time, but we just keep letting go of these gems for nothing and with Michut and Simons sitting through some recent pastings in Ligue 1 (Michut did get about 8 minutes last game), they will be the next ones not to renew and go elsewhere and may shine in a few years.

And now they're reported to be interested in paying a transfer fee to bring Nkunku back. :houllier:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
So is Kalimuendo actually a lens player?
No, he is on loan with an option to buy. And according to Le Parisien if he was sold to Lens, PSG would have a buy back option.